A positive thought for today

Whitey Bulger

"A non-doer is very often a critic-that is, someone who sits back and watches doers, and then waxes philosophically about how the doers are doing. It's easy to be a critic, but being a doer requires effort, risk, and change."

I think it is time to be do-ers, not just the people behind the screen, if you want your community to be better, lets get involved. Pick a street, clean up the trash, pick a building and rehab it, help plant some flowers, organize an event, help clean the riverwalk, and believe me, there are a lot of other things to add to this list, that might make our community a better place for all to live.

So, lets be positive, and make a difference!

"A non-doer is very often a critic-that is, someone who sits back and watches doers, and then waxes philosophically about how the doers are doing. It's easy to be a critic, but being a doer requires effort, risk, and change."

I think it is time to be do-ers, not just the people behind the screen, if you want your community to be better, lets get involved. Pick a street, clean up the trash, pick a building and rehab it, help plant some flowers, organize an event, help clean the riverwalk, and believe me, there are a lot of other things to add to this list, that might make our community a better place for all to live.

Picking up trash is easy. I also take good boxes and packing material and sell it at low rates. Rehabiltating a building is not an easy thing for a person to do and in most cases you would lose a lot of money. A lot of buildings have stolen wires, pipes, beams. When I get home im going to pick up the trash my neighbors left by the curb like I usually do every week. I am however contemplating starting a salvage house parts warehouse which will aide in tearing places apart. (make it less costly).

What else do you have on your mind?

Your first paragraph describes ed to a "t"

I like your thinking Young Binghamton. We need more people like you around... especially here on BC Voice to counter the chronic complainers. ex) Ed

Stay positive and don't ever let the cyber bullies get you down!

Yeah...that's the real problem...people thinking incorrect thoughts.

It's not the high taxes, crumbling infrastructure and crooked and incompetent politicians and community leaders...nope...it's those damn incorrect thinkers.

You people really are idiots. It's no wonder why Binghamton looks more and more like a third-world shantytown with each passing day.

It's not the high taxes, crumbling infrastructure and crooked and incompetent politicians and community leaders...nope...it's those damn incorrect thinkers.

You people really are idiots. It's no wonder why Binghamton looks more and more like a third-world shantytown with each passing day.

You're right. It's not the fact that Broome lost it's manufacturing base in the last 20 years and those decent paying jobs are no longer here.

It's because those of us who are left can't think positively.

Right.

Directly quoted by Ed. I can tell. Why are you even hiding behind "Guest" anymore Ed? Just come out and show your pessimistic self.

Directly quoted by Ed. I can tell. Why are you even hiding behind "Guest" anymore Ed? Just come out and show your pessimistic self.

I'm not Ed...you dope.

Idiots like you trying to play internet message board identity detective and offering empty rhetoric and smarmy platitudes about "being positve"instead of actually making a compelling case for your point of view with facts and figures are simply another reason why Binghamton resembles a third-world shantytown with each passing day.

I'm not Ed...you dope.

Idiots like you trying to play internet message board identity detective and offering empty rhetoric and smarmy platitudes about "being positve"instead of actually making a compelling case for your point of view with facts and figures are simply another reason why Binghamton resembles a third-world shantytown with each passing day.

And you do what to help it?

You're right. It's not the fact that Broome lost it's manufacturing base in the last 20 years and those decent paying jobs are no longer here.

It's because those of us who are left can't think positively.

Right.

Theres alot of citys and towns that lost their manufactuering base, not just in Broome County - look all over this nation. Cheap labor overseas or south of us and trade pacts have caused it. Theres many other opportunities in the private sector if people would just get off their duffs, use a little creativity and open their minds.

Just cause you've been in mfg since your left school and it left you doesnt mean the area you are in is a poor slum - make a difference DO SOMETHING

(take if from a college grad at age 43)

Theres alot of citys and towns that lost their manufactuering base, not just in Broome County - look all over this nation. Cheap labor overseas or south of us and trade pacts have caused it. Theres many other opportunities in the private sector if people would just get off their duffs, use a little creativity and open their minds.

Just cause you've been in mfg since your left school and it left you doesnt mean the area you are in is a poor slum - make a difference DO SOMETHING

(take if from a college grad at age 43)

I have local college credits in 4 different decades, and have worked to recover from 9 layoffs during my 30+ year working career. Each time I've returned to school, I've met new people, added new skills, and started anew. Living in this area can go 2 ways, fail repeatedly and live with it, or, work on improving yourself. Yes, there were bumps on the way, and life today certainly isn't perfect, but, at least I've tried to make a better life. jmower71 and I were both in school at 40+ because we felt we could make a better lives for ourselves. Like she says: make a difference DO SOMETHING

The idea that those who are critical of our local leaders and their unequivocal failure in moving our community forward due to THEIR horrendous public policy decisions, corruption and incompetence, are somehow uneducated and/or underemployed factory workers who "do nothing" is asinine.

Archived