Best Athlete in JC History

Guest Guest

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MIKE 'I GOT MY PANTS PULLED DOWN DURING A BOMB THREAT" COOKE (BASKETBALL), RONDELL WHITE...NEED I SAY MORE!, AND LETS NOT FORGET....ROCKY GOULD (FOOTBALL)

lets add to this list shall we....ok.....Earl Ludecke (gym glass softball king circa middle school), Tim "im gonna kick your ass all over the place...or stab you" Telerico (superstar), and oh yes.....mr. sports himself...Jon Rowlands!

• 6 months later...
For those that saw him, how was Steve Chomysak in this category?

My father started 79 NFL games with the Cincinnati Bengals (1968-1973) as a DT. He was 6'6'' and 270lbs. Able to bench as his best, 610 lbs. He was referred to as the strongest man in the NFL at the time. The biggest scouting knock on my father was that he was too nice, called the "gentle giant". No so gentle when it came to Terry Bradshaw, breaking his Collar bone (Clavicle). My father did not use steriods, his temperament (lack of rage) was proof to that.

My father retired from football in 1976.

In addition to football, Steve held records at Syracuse University up to recently for the Discus throw, and excelled at the shot put as well. While playing for the Bengals, my father was the best Hand Ball player in Cincinnati.

He passed away in 1988, but has not been forgotten.

My father was a far better Dad than he ever was an athlete.

I've got paper clipping and pictures up at my office.

thanks,

Richard

My son, 2 yo now, shares his name sake.

Anyone in here mention Bob Holbert from back in the early 60's?

Bobby was tremendous. Sally Nachman not mentioned here. 4-sport star, national level recognitions.

I would say Steve Chomysak. He maybe the best ever from Broome County. I watched him sack Johny Unitas I can't remember how may times in one game plus knocked him out of the game. I met him at the "Other Place" years ago in the off season. A very nice person and boy was he muscular and big. Had a sister who if I remember right was named Stephanie.

i would have to say without a doubt Matt Burns of '09, fantastic athlete to watch

matt burns.. he was a very interesting swimming to watch i must agree. he was so into it and the way he swam that breast stroke always looked so graceful.

matt burns.. he was a very interesting swimming to watch i must agree. he was so into it and the way he swam that breast stroke always looked so graceful.

great english skills, did you also attend johnson city?

Archived