NCAA Hoops Tourney

Guest Old School

Guest Old School

Every year the selection process is based more on the RPI, rather than performance in conference. The Big East has 8 teams playing for the National Championship(7 out of 34 at-large bids), versus the ACC with 4(3 out of 34). Some very good teams got left out that don't compete in the Big 10, the PAC 10, the SEC, or the SWC. In the future the selection process should adopt the following standards for eligibility. A minimum of 20 W's; a winning record in conference; a maximum of 10 L's, a minimum of reaching the quarterfinals in conference (unless you were the conference regular season champ). In addition, of the 31 guaranteed conference champions, none should be required to travel more than 300 miles for their first round game, nor should any be seeded lower than 14. In other words, this year, UMBC or Mt. Saint Mary's should get to play a first round game on a NEUTRAL court. Two years ago, Fairleigh Dickinson (a 16 seed), had Illinois (the 1 seed), down by 9 in the second half. Had FDU been playing in NYC or DC, they might have finished. But this year UNC could get at least 2 HOME games. Teams with 11 L's should not be in the tourney unless they pull off 3 upsets in their conference tournament. Oregon and Arizona have very good chances of winning in the first round, but how long will they last??

Guest new school
Every year the selection process is based more on the RPI, rather than performance in conference. The Big East has 8 teams playing for the National Championship(7 out of 34 at-large bids), versus the ACC with 4(3 out of 34). Some very good teams got left out that don't compete in the Big 10, the PAC 10, the SEC, or the SWC. In the future the selection process should adopt the following standards for eligibility. A minimum of 20 W's; a winning record in conference; a maximum of 10 L's, a minimum of reaching the quarterfinals in conference (unless you were the conference regular season champ). In addition, of the 31 guaranteed conference champions, none should be required to travel more than 300 miles for their first round game, nor should any be seeded lower than 14. In other words, this year, UMBC or Mt. Saint Mary's should get to play a first round game on a NEUTRAL court. Two years ago, Fairleigh Dickinson (a 16 seed), had Illinois (the 1 seed), down by 9 in the second half. Had FDU been playing in NYC or DC, they might have finished. But this year UNC could get at least 2 HOME games. Teams with 11 L's should not be in the tourney unless they pull off 3 upsets in their conference tournament. Oregon and Arizona have very good chances of winning in the first round, but how long will they last??

this baffles me. every year someone wants to try and improve on the greatest event in sports and every year the tournament is the most incredible and exciting event humanly possible. upsets, buzzer beaters and insanity make it a must watch. i think it's fine just the way it is. the less strict the better. formulas don't work because of strength of schedule. by your reasoning, the giants wouldn't have made the playoffs this year. the teams that don't whine about how unfair their draw is are the teams that win. don't worry where you play, just win. that's how an athlete thinks. losers whine and complain.

Guest Guest
this baffles me. every year someone wants to try and improve on the greatest event in sports and every year the tournament is the most incredible and exciting event humanly possible. upsets, buzzer beaters and insanity make it a must watch. i think it's fine just the way it is. the less strict the better. formulas don't work because of strength of schedule. by your reasoning, the giants wouldn't have made the playoffs this year. the teams that don't whine about how unfair their draw is are the teams that win. don't worry where you play, just win. that's how an athlete thinks. losers whine and complain.

Make sure you both enter the BCVoice NCAA Pick 'em Pool. Come on CuseNIT. Let's get it going!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Guest kevin broadus
Make sure you both enter the BCVoice NCAA Pick 'em Pool. Come on CuseNIT. Let's get it going!!!!!

:rolleyes:

i can't believe BU didn't make the NCAA tournaments. maybe they could be a 16 seed in the div 3 tournament.

Guest Old School
Yo, NU SKUL, You missed the point. The NCAA Basketball Championship is far and away the most participatory and entertaining sports venue offered to television watching sports fans that has ever been invented in America. As an entertainment venue, the appeal of rooting for a team where you graduated, or at least another team in your own conference,is very appealing. Complicit with the officiating, the "upsets, buzzer beaters and insanity" that have come to define basketball rules interpretation are capable of pushing TV ratings even higher. My proposed "standards" would eliminate teams finishing lower than 4 in the "power conferences" and give a second spot to some of the "mid-majors" (who also have a lot of alumni that actually graduated). The NCAA has failed to be the NBA JV, as it was many years past. Moving forward, open up the selection process to include the secondplace finisher in "mid-majors" and eliminate teams with .500 records in the power conferences. They have already proven they can lose 10 games or more. Second point, Nu Skul, I wasn't commenting on the NFL, and I'm glad the Giants won. Third point, I'm neither a "whiner nor a loser", nor will I ever be. My intent was to open the selection process to schools and conferences that actually have players that attend class and get degrees in something other than athletics, and earn a good living proud of the time they spent there!!!

Guest new school
Yo, NU SKUL, You missed the point. The NCAA Basketball Championship is far and away the most participatory and entertaining sports venue offered to television watching sports fans that has ever been invented in America. As an entertainment venue, the appeal of rooting for a team where you graduated, or at least another team in your own conference,is very appealing. Complicit with the officiating, the "upsets, buzzer beaters and insanity" that have come to define basketball rules interpretation are capable of pushing TV ratings even higher. My proposed "standards" would eliminate teams finishing lower than 4 in the "power conferences" and give a second spot to some of the "mid-majors" (who also have a lot of alumni that actually graduated). The NCAA has failed to be the NBA JV, as it was many years past. Moving forward, open up the selection process to include the secondplace finisher in "mid-majors" and eliminate teams with .500 records in the power conferences. They have already proven they can lose 10 games or more. Second point, Nu Skul, I wasn't commenting on the NFL, and I'm glad the Giants won. Third point, I'm neither a "whiner nor a loser", nor will I ever be. My intent was to open the selection process to schools and conferences that actually have players that attend class and get degrees in something other than athletics, and earn a good living proud of the time they spent there!!!

wow. the NCAA has NEVER been an NBA JV system. at it's best time, 97% never made the pros. don't know where you pulled that one from. you are not realizing that the committee can give an at large bid to whoever they want. they lean toward power conferences. that's not the systems fault, it is all judgment. your idea ends judgment. they do make some mistakes, but if they went the opposite way they would be criticized as well. i like mid-majors too. they have representation and some take advantage of it. many do nothing, hence the bias. i agree, i'd love to see more, but it's a juggling act between spreading the wealth or picking the the teams you think are best, regardless of conference.

i see you're too stupid to get the giants comparison. with your system, they wouldn't have even made the playoffs. get it, moron.

someone who worries about who and where they play is a whiner and a loser. period.

mid-majors are in a tough spot.

big time college sports is about winning. the attitude of "they graduate their players" is a joke. i don't care. i watch for the competition like the rest of the world does. it's up to the kid to graduate. that's his problem. should you let in BU because they graduate their players? cornell got in. duke is scary good. in the end, it's about winning. go watch harvard and yale play instead of march madness.

Archived