? for people with knowledge of cats

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Awoke to the screetches of 2 cats face to face on my fence. The cats never fought and finally 1 just jumped down and calmly walked away. These arent wild cats, is this normal cat behavior?, were they playing or challenging one another?

Guest Guest
Awoke to the screetches of 2 cats face to face on my fence. The cats never fought and finally 1 just jumped down and calmly walked away. These arent wild cats, is this normal cat behavior?, were they playing or challenging one another?

Sounds like 1 wanted to mate and the other didn't.

It was a territorial stand off.

@GG

I'm guessing it was a battle of political preferences. One cat was most likely a staunch conservative, the other a liberal. The same battle happens here on BCV daily.

Yes, this is normal cat behavior. It was a bid for dominance, very likely (as was pointed out by another poster) over territory. Cats are very territorial animals. It can also be sparked in the presence of a female in heat as two males will compete to try to impress her with who is toughest and most dominant (and thus the more desirable mate -- sort of like two guys in a human bar around 10:30 on a Saturday night.) The way it works is this:

The cats will face each other, arch their backs, stiffen their tales and flatten their ears. They will try to look as threatening as possible and yowl at each other (sort of like putting on their war-faces and making their war-cries) until one or the other feels threatened enough to back down, thus admitting submission to the other cat and yielding the claim on the territory or the female. They make a lot of racket and threats, but rarely actually fight -- again, very analogous to two guys in a bar...

And ladies, NOW you know why men act like that...

@

It was a territorial stand off.

@GG

I think that you're right..cats will stare and scream each other down avoiding a fight if possible. Usually somebody gives in and backs off

Oh, I see Radar already confirmed Shyanna...What he said...(assuming Radar is a he)

@

I think that you're right..cats will stare and scream each other down avoiding a fight if possible. Usually somebody gives in and backs off

Oh, I see Radar already confirmed Shyanna...What he said...(assuming Radar is a he)

@

I am indeed a "he"... And Shyanna is correct, which is why I made sure to credit her in my post. I just expanded on her answer. Besides, I have cats. One of them, a little female, fiercely defends her "territory" on the foot of my bed and on top my dresser from the others.

@

Archived