SV Parent petition against Ray Haskell.

Guest SV parent.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest11
Is this the right thing to do for a struggling SV football program?

How about helping kids with their homework rather than worry about whose coaching them in something that they're not going to be doing in two years? Parents should advocate for their kids, but I think circulating a petition against a coach is out of line, unless that coach has done something drastic such as abuse players. Simply having a losing record means this happens? No wonder so many coaches - especially young ones - are getting out of high school coaching.

Guest Guest
How about helping kids with their homework rather than worry about whose coaching them in something that they're not going to be doing in two years? Parents should advocate for their kids, but I think circulating a petition against a coach is out of line, unless that coach has done something drastic such as abuse players. Simply having a losing record means this happens? No wonder so many coaches - especially young ones - are getting out of high school coaching.

Why worry? Because the kids play the game and work hard to excel in the sport that they love.

Guest Guest
I heard Gary Crooks wants the S V Job. He is a great coach and would make you a winner.

I heard that a handful of coaches are interested in the job. Id hold off on that discussion for a little while until the position is open. As of now it still belongs to Ray Haskell.

Guest guest11
Why worry? Because the kids play the game and work hard to excel in the sport that they love.

Yeah, that's a good point and I see it. Maybe it's just the nature of the internet - anonymity and negativity - but I just can't understand why so many coaches, especially in football, are run out of town. Then I see Horsehead's coach resign at age 30, Ithaca's at 34, etc., and it makes me wonder whether good people are going to find it worth it to put themselves and their families through this. I agree that parents should be concerned about winning and making a child's hard-spent time and energy worth it.

With teaching becoming more demanding with NCLB and more accountability (at least in theory, anyway), I wonder how schools are going to find enough people with the time to coach. Maybe they should open up positions to those outside the district more.

@

Guest SaberLand

The past 4 years of SV kids have had little to no dedication to the game "they love". Sparse turnout at off-season workouts, parents who openly tell kids that its ok because the coach doesn't know anything and more. As I have said before I personally know of a parent involved in this mess who thinks his son is a D1 football player being held back by the SV coaches. This player is an oft injured undersized player who would struggle to play D3, but the parent is deluded. This whole thing is terrible.

Guest T-2007
Is this the right thing to do for a struggling SV football program?

Used to play football for SV in 05 and 06. Trust me it wasn't Ray's fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest SaberLand
Who's the kid, who is it? Tell us. So we can make fun of him!!!!!!!!!

Used to play football for SV in 05 and 06. Trust me it wasn't Ray's fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I won't name the kid because its not his fault that his father is trying to live out his football dreams through his son. Needless to say its pretty easy to see when the same father accosted Steve Haskell and Mike Ford when the kid was on JV and last year he went after Ray Haskell following a game. The guy actually tried to go into the locker room post game to "tell the coaches off" in his words. He has his son working out with himself and a private trainer and refuses to let the son go to SV off-season workouts, great way to build team unity for him.

As for the former player I am glad to see you know what I am talking about. Ray has been fighting an uphill battle with a tough group of players the last few years. Many guys living off JV team glory and not working to get better in the off season, in addition the team discipline issues that he has faced. Its no coincidence that the basketball and baseball programs have also struggled with many of the same kids.

Guest T-2007
I won't name the kid because its not his fault that his father is trying to live out his football dreams through his son. Needless to say its pretty easy to see when the same father accosted Steve Haskell and Mike Ford when the kid was on JV and last year he went after Ray Haskell following a game. The guy actually tried to go into the locker room post game to "tell the coaches off" in his words. He has his son working out with himself and a private trainer and refuses to let the son go to SV off-season workouts, great way to build team unity for him.

As for the former player I am glad to see you know what I am talking about. Ray has been fighting an uphill battle with a tough group of players the last few years. Many guys living off JV team glory and not working to get better in the off season, in addition the team discipline issues that he has faced. Its no coincidence that the basketball and baseball programs have also struggled with many of the same kids.

I played baseball as well. Our team wasn't too bad in 2007. Many were actually soccer players (successful program) though.

Guest Guest

This quote is 100% correct about who started the petition and why. The other major backers of the petition are parents whose kids have been discipline problems with the current staff and they want the kids to play, not be benched for their actions. If the SV Board or the SV AD pay any attention to these people the should be ashamed of themselves. Haskell is a quality person who works as hard as he can for and with the kids. One of the parents who signed shouldn't even worry as his son dropped out of school this past year. All you needed to see about this coach and his staff was how they handled themselves and the team during the terminal illness of Konrad Kemberling, and what they did for his son Kane. They went above and beyond the sports call and showed why they are truly an asset to the community.

Guest Guest

Well i will say a few things. First of all Ray Haskell is a brilliant person. Although he has had time to prove himself but has not yet shown. I know you can easily say that its not all his fault. But the situation right now with kids not showing up to off season work outs is mainly because of Ray. Hes so laid back and the lack of leadership over the kids just has the kids thinking they can not show up and they will still play at the beginning of the season. In a way this is true. He has not stepped up to the plate yet and took charge like he should and get kids to work harder and needs to push the kids harder. In reality all Ray needs to do is fix a few things and you might see more wins. Problem is hes on an island on his own when it comes to his players and parents respecting him at all because he lets people walk all over him. He needs to toughen up. Thats what you need out of a football coach. Someone who's not gonna put up with all the parent and player BS. Yet he puts up with it and gives in. He needs to toughen up is his main problem. Look at Bobby Knight. Most wins in college basketball history. Yeah he might be pretty psycho but i think sometimes thats what you have to do is take charge and put fear into the players so that if they don't work hard they won't get anything. But people who don't show up just play anyways. What SV needs is a Bobby Knight to make these little cry babies into men.

Guest Guest
Well i will say a few things. First of all Ray Haskell is a brilliant person. Although he has had time to prove himself but has not yet shown. I know you can easily say that its not all his fault. But the situation right now with kids not showing up to off season work outs is mainly because of Ray. Hes so laid back and the lack of leadership over the kids just has the kids thinking they can not show up and they will still play at the beginning of the season. In a way this is true. He has not stepped up to the plate yet and took charge like he should and get kids to work harder and needs to push the kids harder. In reality all Ray needs to do is fix a few things and you might see more wins. Problem is hes on an island on his own when it comes to his players and parents respecting him at all because he lets people walk all over him. He needs to toughen up. Thats what you need out of a football coach. Someone who's not gonna put up with all the parent and player BS. Yet he puts up with it and gives in. He needs to toughen up is his main problem. Look at Bobby Knight. Most wins in college basketball history. Yeah he might be pretty psycho but i think sometimes thats what you have to do is take charge and put fear into the players so that if they don't work hard they won't get anything. But people who don't show up just play anyways. What SV needs is a Bobby Knight to make these little cry babies into men.

I think you fail to realize where the real problem at SV lies, its the AD not the coach. The coaches at SV are forced to accept the interference from parents because the AD gives the coaches no backing. The coaches know that if push comes to shove right now, the parents will ultimately win out because since the new AD has signed on thats all they've seen. Hopefully this will be the time the AD steps up for a good man and shuts the parents down for once.

Guest Guest
I think you fail to realize where the real problem at SV lies, its the AD not the coach. The coaches at SV are forced to accept the interference from parents because the AD gives the coaches no backing. The coaches know that if push comes to shove right now, the parents will ultimately win out because since the new AD has signed on thats all they've seen. Hopefully this will be the time the AD steps up for a good man and shuts the parents down for once.

Doubt is, Wilson fails to step up for anything.

Guest Guest

You are so wrong because of 1 thing and 1 thing only. SV doesn't have the numbers to have a coach like that. The past few years they have struggled with depth, which is why the kids who don't show up off-season get to play. With roster sizes in the low 30's max, you don't have a lot of choice to sit good athletes. SV has watched a lot of good players have off field issues costing them careers, as well as a soccer program that has had a lot of success so many times kids end up there. Until the numbers rise, a coach like you suggest would only destroy what little football is left in the town by driving more kids out and having nothing left.

Guest Guest
You are so wrong because of 1 thing and 1 thing only. SV doesn't have the numbers to have a coach like that. The past few years they have struggled with depth, which is why the kids who don't show up off-season get to play. With roster sizes in the low 30's max, you don't have a lot of choice to sit good athletes. SV has watched a lot of good players have off field issues costing them careers, as well as a soccer program that has had a lot of success so many times kids end up there. Until the numbers rise, a coach like you suggest would only destroy what little football is left in the town by driving more kids out and having nothing left.

Yes they have struggled with numbers. But does that mean you have to baby them to keep them around?

Guest T-2007

I won't give out the name either, but I know exactly who you're talking about :blink::blink::blink:

@

Guest Guest
I heard Gary Crooks wants the S V Job. He is a great coach and would make you a winner.

If the kids give it all they have and work together as a team then they already are winners. You sound like the typical jockhead - win at all costs. Lets remember that they are kids, not NFLers. They still play to have fun. When they get paid millions of dollars to play then it can be about winning

@

Guest Guest

If the kids give it all they have and work together as a team then they already are winners. You sound like the typical jockhead - win at all costs. Lets remember that they are kids, not NFLers. They still play to have fun. When they get paid millions of dollars to play then it can be about winning

Thanks for those words of wisdom lady ...

Maybe this year all the kids can take turns playing quarterback and receiver. Then they can all vote on how long practices will be and only have full-contact once a week. Wouldn't that be swell !!!

What are we playing here - T ball ?

These kids want to win and most of them understand what it takes to win. They just choose not to put in the time & work it takes to be a winner. A good coach can "motivate" them to a certain extent - but it has to start with the kid. Let's face it - Haskell isn't exactly Kelsey Green, but he doesn't deserve the crap I'm seeing on here either.

SV has talent and should do well in their new division this year - IF - the players pull together and push each other in the off-season. Also - the RB Lewis - is a very talented, hard-nosed kid who will be a premier player in Section IV if he is able to stay healthy. The kid is an all over the field, non-stop, football-first player .

Guest Guest
These kids want to win and most of them understand what it takes to win. They just choose not to put in the time & work it takes to be a winner. A good coach can "motivate" them to a certain extent - but it has to start with the kid. Let's face it - Haskell isn't exactly Kelsey Green, but he doesn't deserve the crap I'm seeing on here either.

SV has talent and should do well in their new division this year - IF - the players pull together and push each other in the off-season. Also - the RB Lewis - is a very talented, hard-nosed kid who will be a premier player in Section IV if he is able to stay healthy. The kid is an all over the field, non-stop, football-first player .

You took the previous poster way out of context then you reference a kid who refuses to work with his team off season as a role model for what SV needs. The last thing SV needs is Chris Lewis and his parents self importance. He has not shown up for 1 team off season workout yet in his career, his father was one of the ringleaders of the "Get Haskell" crew. The family honestly thinks that a slow 5'8 185 lb RB/LB is going to get a D1 look? Thats pretty funny, especially since he's never played three weeks in a row without having a major "injury" that took him off the field for an extended time.

Guest Guest

Please try to look past your own parental bias and not blast the kid. That is pathetic. I don't believe too many SVers listen to or even care what Mr. Lewis has to say anyway. But there you go bashing the kid because of his over-bearing parent.

The kids know that CL is the best player on that team - and they don't slam him. Why are you ?

IMO - You as a bad or worse than Mr. Lewis for bad-mouthing a high school athlete.

Did I take that out of context ?

Guest Guest
Please try to look past your own parental bias and not blast the kid. That is pathetic. I don't believe too many SVers listen to or even care what Mr. Lewis has to say anyway. But there you go bashing the kid because of his over-bearing parent.

The kids know that CL is the best player on that team - and they don't slam him. Why are you ?

IMO - You as a bad or worse than Mr. Lewis for bad-mouthing a high school athlete.

Did I take that out of context ?

I am a kid on the team and we all admit Chris could be good, but he won't work out with us and that hurts our team. He is not considered the best player on our team because too many of us he isn't part of the team, he only cares about himself. I wish he would show up and be a team leader but as of now he won't step up. Don't speak for our team because you aren't a part of it you might think hes good but give me LD at running back next year and we'll be better off. As for people not listening to his dad, if thats true why did so many people sign his petition? The guy obviously has some people on his side or that never would have happened.

Guest Guest

OK KID ... You have made a good point, factual - without putting anyone down. Good luck next season and I hope to hear that Chris "steps up" and joins the team in the off-season workouts. Maybe if some of you approach him to join in rather than taking sides on the Haskell-Controversy, he will capitulate. Remember - It's your team - not the parents, or even the coaches. The best teams work out these type of problems on their own - develope their own chemistry so to speak.

Keep working - You guys can be good this year and the years to follow.

Guest Mind your business
I am a kid on the team and we all admit Chris could be good, but he won't work out with us and that hurts our team. He is not considered the best player on our team because too many of us he isn't part of the team, he only cares about himself. I wish he would show up and be a team leader but as of now he won't step up. Don't speak for our team because you aren't a part of it you might think hes good but give me LD at running back next year and we'll be better off. As for people not listening to his dad, if thats true why did so many people sign his petition? The guy obviously has some people on his side or that never would have happened.

Let Chris do his own thing. Does it mean he doesn't work just as hard if not harder because he doesn't work out with the team? Hell no, so you do your thing, while Chris will work hard like he always does on his own. Just for the record this isn't Chris or his father speaking, so don't give me shit about that!

Archived