Mayor Opportunist strikes again

Guest Guest

Friday February 8, 2008

New antique store to open

Binghamton Mayor Matthew "The Opportunist" Ryan and community leaders will celebrate the grand opening of Frog and Toad Antiques and Collectibles at a 11 a.m. news conference today directly outside the shop at 173 Clinton St.

The store is a co-op and will feature antiques from 10 different vendors. Karin Wall rents the space to the vendors and also owns the Riverside Shop, an antique furniture store adjacent to the new establishment.

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll...NEWS01/80208011

Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:36 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If somebody opens a new hot dog cart or lemonade stand Matt Ryan will attend trying to take credit.

How come he wasn't at the closing of CoffeeTalk or Music City? *

He and his cronies have a lot more to do with the closing of businesses than the opening of them.

Ask the new owner how she feels about Ryan raising busines taxes 15% in two years. Ask Ryan how much he will have to raise it next year now that he has his rubber stamp Citizen Action City Council.

"I'd like to communicate my frame of mind to the DA before going to court."- Matt Ryan, Mirandized in his sworn testimony to Vestal police leading to his conviction.

http://www.not allowed.com/matthew-ryan.pdf

*Music City did not close it left downtown Binghamton because of the very poor sales and the bad crowd loitering around the store driving away customers. Since the move Music City says sales are steadily increasing

Friday February 8, 2008

New antique store to open

Binghamton Mayor Matthew "The Opportunist" Ryan and community leaders will celebrate the grand opening of Frog and Toad Antiques and Collectibles at a 11 a.m. news conference today directly outside the shop at 173 Clinton St.

The store is a co-op and will feature antiques from 10 different vendors. Karin Wall rents the space to the vendors and also owns the Riverside Shop, an antique furniture store adjacent to the new establishment.

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll...NEWS01/80208011

Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:36 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If somebody opens a new hot dog cart or lemonade stand Matt Ryan will attend trying to take credit.

How come he wasn't at the closing of CoffeeTalk or Music City? *

He and his cronies have a lot more to do with the closing of businesses than the opening of them.

Ask the new owner how she feels about Ryan raising busines taxes 15% in two years. Ask Ryan how much he will have to raise it next year now that he has his rubber stamp Citizen Action City Council.

"I'd like to communicate my frame of mind to the DA before going to court."- Matt Ryan, Mirandized in his sworn testimony to Vestal police leading to his conviction.

http://www.not allowed.com/matthew-ryan.pdf

*Music City did not close it left downtown Binghamton because of the very poor sales and the bad crowd loitering around the store driving away customers. Since the move Music City says sales are steadily increasing

for the record ed....music city's increase in business has everything to do with that it is located on the busiest street in the county and is located on one of the busiest intersections. You see ed, i used to shop at music city but it was too much of a hassle to find a place to park. much like other businesses ed, traffic has a direct influnence on business. and it is far more convenient to shop where you can park off the street in a parking lot. I am not condoning what the mayor has done (or hasn't done) but i am tired of you taking little bits of information and putting them together to fit your needs. also ed, if you are such a wise man...why don't you ever offer any input on something other than the mayor? is it that you have your personal vendetta against him. it just really takes away from your fairly good ideas. think about it.

I actually offer comment on many things as you can see below.

The owner of Music City specifically told the Greater Binghamton Business Journal that loitering and a deterioration of downtown was why he moved. It was much more than just parking. Everybody knows that. Furthermore, reading between the lines the owner is said to have spoken directly to Ryan a couple of times about the problems and Ryan did nothing. Ryan cares more about his welfare recipient supporters and hip-hop crowd than he cares about business owners. That's why Ryan slapped them with a 15% increase in busines tax. don't you think that has a role in deciding where a business relocates?

Here, no Ryan, both published in the PSB:

If I were ... Barbara J. Fiala

I would encourage economic development by ...

Ed not allowed, Johnson City

I could encourage economic development by:

* Finally consolidating economic development offices to reduce redundancy and the duplication of services, focus efforts and maximize available marketing and promotional funds. At the moment I am familiar with at least five agencies doing basically the same thing here:

1. Greater Binghamton Chamber of Commerce.

2. City of Binghamton.

3. Broome County.

4. Greater Binghamton Coalition.

5. Greater Binghamton Convention and Visitors Bureau. I'm told there are as many as 16 agencies claiming to promote development, marketing and promotion of Broome County.

* Create some basic signage on all the major highways entering this county. I have been coming to Binghamton for 35 years before living here. I learned only 18 months ago there was a zoo here. I spoke to an elderly woman from Rochester on the weekend that was in Binghamton for the first time. She said, "I have driven through for 50 years but never stopped." I'd say about 30 million people year can make that claim. Put out signs about the B-Mets and Senators, the zoo, etc.

* Build decent visitors centers in the right places.

* Market the area to people outside of the area. Yes, this sounds like something that goes without saying, it seems to make commons sense. Believe it or not, it is almost NEVER done. People here have blinders on. The City of Binghamton markets itself to Clinton Street residents with banners! They're here already. I think they get it.

* Market Broome County and Binghamton in Ontario and Quebec as well as neighboring states. They all drive through and know where it is already. Tell people in Ottawa their NHL farm team is here and offer them discounted rates for making the trek here to see the farm team. Fans from here will go to Ottawa, and fans from there will come here. Do the same in NYC with the Mets.

* Target specific areas of industrial development such as transportation hubs, information technology, health care, warehousing (drop & ship) and defense contracts and subcontractors to compliment those we already have.

* Tie tax breaks, incentives and grants of those companies to residency requirements of their employees. If the new employees arriving from a tax break or government contract come here to work, have them live here.

* Seek out alternative energy sources, probably wind power. Encourage manufacture of such technologies to move into our empty industrial plants and warehouses. Bio-diesel fuels seem already to be growing here.

* Allow transmission lines through the county.

* Find legal barriers to limit or delay welfare recipients from major metropolitan areas re-locating here and immediately receiving social assistance. We have become a dumping ground for the problems of others. If New York state wants us to take on the burdens of downstate cities they should compensate us for doing so.

* Enforce current codes and laws on absentee landlords. Create new laws and increase penalties upon absentee landlords for land speculation and flipping of properties without improvements.

* Loosen building codes in downtown Binghamton to make the renovation and conversion of upper floors of vacant downtown buildings into housing more economically viable.

* Consolidate as many municipal services as possible.

* Break down petty bickering and puny territorial disputes, reduce the number of paid political representatives for the many small, local municipal jurisdictions. The municipal boundaries of this area are ridiculously antiquated and unrepresentative.

* Pay me a huge consulting fee.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

EDITORIAL: Are nuclear and coal power the answer?

Ponnequin.jpg

January 2, 2008

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll...13/1005/OPINION

We asked our readers: Should we revisit greater use of nuclear and coal-fired plants for our electrical needs? Here are your responses:

Ed not allowed, Johnson City

Should we revisit greater use of nuclear and coal-fired plants for our electrical needs? The simple answer is: no. The better answer is more complicated.

The premise of the question is flawed and the choices skewed away from better answers. Both alternatives are poor. Why not look more closely at wind, water, solar and geothermal power? They are all better alternatives in terms of sustainability and the environment.

Coal is 19th-century technology improved with some 20th-century bells and whistles. It is still a bad choice.

Nuclear power does make sense if all your other options are limited, but New York state's and the United States' options are not limited, so why adopt nuclear before looking at the other choices?

In our northern climate and particular weather pattern, with our limited days of sunshine (52 days), solar power is not a very good or realistic alternative. It can help on a small, individual basis for some applications, but its utility on a large scale is limited in this area. However wind, water and geothermal power would be better alternatives, except for the short-sighted, close-minded, petty attitude of the general public in this area and the lack of capital to development the technologies.

That being said, the whole discussion is moot because the tree huggers and self-centered individualists will never allow any kind of plant or generation station to be built. They are even opposed to wind turbines.

Even if they did, others would never allow them to put up transmission lines to send the power anywhere anyway. The people in New York State in general and Broome County in particular seem to think electrical power is a God-given right for which somebody else in some other place owes them. Their isolationist attitude has them treat even New York City, Rochester or Buffalo as hostile foreign countries. It is really quite remarkable in this age of globalization that people here think on such a small scale.

The only way anything will get built is if it pushed through on a federal level, and it will be a long fight. Things will change here only when too many people start freezing to death in their homes in the winter or die of heat stroke in the summer and their jobs dry up as plants move away, tired and broke from paying the highest energy cost in North America.

action-at-the-nuclear-power-pl.jpg

regarding mr. not allowed, this is a reprint from a canadian forum:

"NOTICE

We do not wish to restrict access to this forum at any time. We value all opinions and comments whether we agree with them or not but will not allow indiscriminate attacks or remarks - personal or otherwise - that are deemed unsuitable or give rise to legalities. There have been many calls for us to block Ed not allowed from this Forum, both on this Forum itself and behind the scenes. As Mr. not allowed is a frequent forum poster and we value his input we wish to inform all users that he has been temporarily blocked while we review the situation given that we have been contacted by legal firms regarding his postings on our site."

regarding mr. not allowed, this is a reprint from a canadian forum:

"NOTICE

We do not wish to restrict access to this forum at any time. We value all opinions and comments whether we agree with them or not but will not allow indiscriminate attacks or remarks - personal or otherwise - that are deemed unsuitable or give rise to legalities. There have been many calls for us to block Ed not allowed from this Forum, both on this Forum itself and behind the scenes. As Mr. not allowed is a frequent forum poster and we value his input we wish to inform all users that he has been temporarily blocked while we review the situation given that we have been contacted by legal firms regarding his postings on our site."

Yes, it is sad what they do to freedom of speech in Canada. Thank you for pointing that out.

Why does Matt Ryan show up at a store opening he had nothing to do with but never shows or has a comment when places like CofeeTalk clsoe or Music City move out of the city because Binghamton is bad for business, as the owner of the store pointed out in The Greater Binghamton Business Journal?

Does Matt Ryan think by raising business taxes 15 % in two years he is encouraging development or creating an atmosphere for growth or business?

Archived