why police abuse in car computers get info on you any reason

Guest op

I believe it is a violation of our right to privacy when a police officer can punch in your plate number for any reason and look at all your personal information even if not relavent to them phone#s, present and past addresses ,ss numbers,past records, family info,names of people you associate with,special licenses or permits you have and more all at the touch of a button or 2. they do it to their friends and for their friends and there isn't anyone looking to see how many searches they do on who or why? I dont have any reason to be paranoid but know this for a fact and dont think its right I think its the goverment being to loose with our information.

I believe it is a violation of our right to privacy when a police officer can punch in your plate number for any reason and look at all your personal information even if not relavent to them phone#s, present and past addresses ,ss numbers,past records, family info,names of people you associate with,special licenses or permits you have and more all at the touch of a button or 2. they do it to their friends and for their friends and there isn't anyone looking to see how many searches they do on who or why? I dont have any reason to be paranoid but know this for a fact and dont think its right I think its the goverment being to loose with our information.

Welcome to GWB's America, circa 2008.

Since when can they have access to your phone number bt punching in your plate number ? If you had a scanner and listened you wouls here the officier ask the dispatcher to try and look up a number in the phone book for the registered owner. And i'm sure they don't have have your S.S. number either.

Guest BC Voice of Reason

I know the State Police cannot lookup any numbers up they want to on a whim. They have to have reason for doing so, like at a vehicle stop. All lookups are logged, and if they're caught looking up a number without any relevance they can get in a lot of trouble.

I can do the same thing for a small fee from a background agency, or I can even listen into the radio with my scanner and hear all the info anyways. Paranoid now? :)

Guest DMV Nazi

oh stop.....did you know you DONT have a right to drive in NY, it is a privilage....really it is a privilage....so if you keep complaining I will revoke it............

I know the State Police cannot lookup any numbers up they want to on a whim. They have to have reason for doing so, like at a vehicle stop. All lookups are logged, and if they're caught looking up a number without any relevance they can get in a lot of trouble.

Your statement is 100% correct. I have a good friend that is a Trooper. I asked if he would look up a plate number for me. I was denied with the reason being they have to have due cause! If caught looking up a plate without due cause, he would be in big trouble.

Good Call Voice of Reason!

Your statement is 100% correct. I have a good friend that is a Trooper. I asked if he would look up a plate number for me. I was denied with the reason being they have to have due cause! If caught looking up a plate without due cause, he would be in big trouble.

Good Call Voice of Reason!

well troopers may be ethical but I know binghamton police who do it to find out who their ex is dating by running his or her plate than getting the phone number to harrass it happend more than once never a issue because they dont even look at the so called log.

well troopers may be ethical but I know binghamton police who do it to find out who their ex is dating by running his or her plate than getting the phone number to harrass it happend more than once never a issue because they dont even look at the so called log.

You are a LIAR.

You can't get a telephone number by running a license plate! You can't even get a current address half the time.

Idiot.

Well if you dont want them to get your number dont put it on the registration form cuz thats about the only way to get it by running your plate. I dont put my number on my reg form for that verry same reason. They want it that bad they can look it up in the yellow pages.

its funny cause because you don't only get a phone number off the scanner, you get their name, their address, their phone numbers, and more. So if a computer is a problem what about the accessibility of all your personal information that goes over the airwaves? You can get a scanner for like $30 bucks and you can hear a lot of stuff. Even listen when your neighbor is having a person problems. I think this provides more info then a computer.

as a former debt collector it doesn't take alot of info to find out anything about you, just a name and a few other things is all it takes. I had access to the same program that the police use. It is called Accurint. It can tell you where you live and/or did lived, work, people you work for, people that live OR lived around you, Any time you have been in jail.. The list just go's on and on.

Quite wrong. All that is available is the same information that has been available by radio for 30 years....simple DMV information and NCIC Wants and Warrants. You are completely misinformed.

You are a LIAR.

You can't get a telephone number by running a license plate! You can't even get a current address half the time.

Idiot.

WELL SAID! by the way, all the license plates that the BPD look up are LOGGED when they are put into the system.

To be quite honest with you, if you think you could do a better job, why dont you go risk your life like many of my friends do. Let me know how it works out for you when your dumb a** gets shot because you cant keep your mouth shut.

cheers.

Archived