Zamikaze Cruve and Highway JOBS Will Be All NON-UNION!

Guest Guest

DOT has leaked to BCVoice all jobs of this Highway Reconstrution Project will be from outside the area and will be all NON-UNION jobs. The Contractor who is bidding the job Cold Springs Constrution of Buffalo New York owns his own bank, therefore has no problem of bonding the project over other contractor's who are bidding as well but go to outside sources for bonding such a large project. Cold Springs owner will have the advantage by owning his own bank to under cut the other bidding contractors.

The disturbing part of this project is Cold Springs will bring all jobs( Buffalo area) from outside our area. No local workforce will be hired if Clod Springs gets their way!

The State (Donna Lapardo and Tom Libous) needs to put wording in to insure our local union and non-union workforce gets the work first!

The project bond is a line item under the general contractors General Conditions for the bid. Cold Springs may have an advanage in the cost for obtaining a bond: however, Mobilization costs (also a line item under the general contractors General Conditions) will be higher than a local firm. All materials and labor costs will be even (yes even labor--due to the Davis Becon Act and changes in the way open shop contractors are billed on their workmen's compensation for the "benefits" that are paid to employees even if the contractor does not offer benefits. NYS W.C. charges even out the overall labor costs between the 2 types of contractors). This project is not a savior, but will help local contractors, vendors, employees and YES will have a trickle down effect for the area. The 2007 construction season for local contractors in the Heavy/Highway trade were affected by out of town contractors (specificaly from the Albany area) and will, in turn, provide tighter bids and better performance by the local H/H general contractors.

In the 60's and 70's, unions served a purpose. These days they are largely sucking money from employers and employees and doing as little as possible for the money. I know someone who left a union job and weeks later the union sent her a bill for unpaid dues AFTER she was no longer a member or employee. That should tell you something.

I agree with the previous post, there is nothing wrong with that curve, In all my years I have not heard of one bad accident and actually there has hardly ever been an accident on the curve. It is a total waste of tax payers money. Leave the curve alone. Someone should start a petition to squash the project. If I lived in NY, I would, but I don't so I have no say.

Guest Guest #10
I agree with the previous post, there is nothing wrong with that curve, In all my years I have not heard of one bad accident and actually there has hardly ever been an accident on the curve. It is a total waste of tax payers money. Leave the curve alone. Someone should start a petition to squash the project. If I lived in NY, I would, but I don't so I have no say.

The problem, as I understand from previous P&SB articles, is not that the curve is "too dangerous" but that it does not comply with Federal requirements for interstate highways. It has to be corrected in ordfer for that section to earn the I-86 designation (and all that comes with that).

Archived