What did YOU give up for Lent?

Guest Guest

it started wednesday. hello?

Easter is termed a movable Christian holy day because it is not fixed in relation to the civil calendar. Easter falls at some point between late March and late April each year (early April to early May in Eastern Christianity), following the cycle of the moon.

Guest A Reasonable Atheist

If it is important to give something up to show your devotion to the flying spaghetti monster, why not do it year round? It seems quite arbitrary to pick these 40 days for your "no chocolate" "no beer" "no swearing" attempts.

Maybe this is just the reaffirmation of the new years resolution.

Easter is termed a movable Christian holy day because it is not fixed in relation to the civil calendar. Easter falls at some point between late March and late April each year (early April to early May in Eastern Christianity), following the cycle of the moon.

Actually, I'm a little lost on that myself. Why is it so early this year?

Actually, I'm a little lost on that myself. Why is it so early this year?

It's just that due to the cycle of the full moon etc (any Wolfman is an expert on full moon information you know), this year Western Easter just happens to fall on the second-earliest day it possibly can.

It's all explained here

http://christianity.about.com/od/faqhelpde...asterchange.htm

Wolf

It's just that due to the cycle of the full moon etc (any Wolfman is an expert on full moon information you know), this year Western Easter just happens to fall on the second-earliest day it possibly can.

It's all explained here

Wolf

Thanks for the link. That Fairchild chick looks pretty hot...or is it just me?

It's all explained here

Wolf

Shouldn't you call yourself MEERCAT MAN????

If it is important to give something up to show your devotion to the flying spaghetti monster, why not do it year round? It seems quite arbitrary to pick these 40 days for your "no chocolate" "no beer" "no swearing" attempts.

Maybe this is just the reaffirmation of the new years resolution.

Maybe you should do a little research before you mock.

Lent, in most Christian denominations, is the forty-day liturgical season of fasting and prayer before Easter. The forty days represent the time Jesus spent in the desert, where, according to the Bible, he endured temptation by Satan.

The purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer—through prayer, penitence, almsgiving and self-denial—for the annual commemoration of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus, as celebrated during Holy Week, which recalls the events linked to the Passion of Christ and culminates in Easter, the celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

I can respect your beliefs or non beliefs in this case. I do not feel the need to mock you or make light of your position. So I would appreciate it if you could do the same. This time of year is a solemn celebration for christians. it reaffirms our beliefs that Jesus Christ suffered and died for us. In that idea we refrain from something that we enjoy to offer our sacrifice to him. The whole idea of giving up soda or beer or chocolate has evolved into a token or even a joke from the inital meaning of personal sacrifice. It became a lot easier to say "no i am not doing anything extra or special for lent, i will just give up chocolate."

Again please don't mock or make light of something that the majority of people living in the US believe in. And we will respect your position as well. And regardless, I will keep you in my prayers.

I gave up giving up things. Nothing like equating the restriction of sweets or alcohol to hanging on a cross. Mmmmm, blasphemy! BTW, I'm not a religious person either, I just think it's funny that people "suffer" for 40 days but are hunkey dorey for the other 325 days/year.

Guest down n d dumps
I'm not a Catholic, but I am giving up something or rather giving up on someone! Been put through the wringer by him ENOUGH!

I'm giving up BCVoice. ugh darn well there goes that one.

Archived