What did YOU give up for Lent?

Guest Guest

giving up is not the issue..it's what you're going to do during lent that will make a difference...

I gave up going to church and giving those child molesting - moelstor protecting DELETED any money!

Not for everyone. There are TWO different Easter Sundays on this planet and their Lents start at different dates. Hello?

OH NO!!! now you did it!! AFC is going to burn your DELETED and tell you how you are going to hell!!!!

Guest A Reasonable Atheist
Maybe you should do a little research before you mock.

Lent, in most Christian denominations, is the forty-day liturgical season of fasting and prayer before Easter. The forty days represent the time Jesus spent in the desert, where, according to the Bible, he endured temptation by Satan.

The purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer—through prayer, penitence, almsgiving and self-denial—for the annual commemoration of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus, as celebrated during Holy Week, which recalls the events linked to the Passion of Christ and culminates in Easter, the celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

I can respect your beliefs or non beliefs in this case. I do not feel the need to mock you or make light of your position. So I would appreciate it if you could do the same. This time of year is a solemn celebration for christians. it reaffirms our beliefs that Jesus Christ suffered and died for us. In that idea we refrain from something that we enjoy to offer our sacrifice to him. The whole idea of giving up soda or beer or chocolate has evolved into a token or even a joke from the inital meaning of personal sacrifice. It became a lot easier to say "no i am not doing anything extra or special for lent, i will just give up chocolate."

Again please don't mock or make light of something that the majority of people living in the US believe in. And we will respect your position as well. And regardless, I will keep you in my prayers.

I think the point is that if you are trying to show your devotion, and reaffirmation, you ought to be doing that every day. My point is that supposed christians ought to be following these arbitrary rules all the time, not just on Sunday and not just during a 40 day period that corresponds to lunar months.

Archived