AP Poll: To Fix Econonmy, Get Out of Iraq

Guest Captain Aneurysm

Guest Captain Aneurysm

Source: AP

WASHINGTON - The heck with Congress' big stimulus bill. The way to get the country out of recession — and most people think we're in one — is to get the country out of Iraq, according to an Associated Press-Ipsos poll.

Pulling out of the war ranked first among proposed remedies in the survey, followed by spending more on domestic programs, cutting taxes and, at the bottom end, giving rebates to poor people in hopes they'll spend the economy into recovery.

The $168 billion economic rescue package Congress rushed to approval this week includes rebates of $600 to $1,200 for most taxpayers, the hope being that they will spend the money and help revive ailing businesses. President Bush is expected to sign the measure next week. Poor wage-earners, as well as seniors and veterans who live almost entirely off Social Security and disability benefits, would get $300 checks.

However, just 19 percent of the people surveyed said they planned to go out and spend the money; 45 percent said they'd use it to pay bills. And nearly half said what the government really should do is get out of Iraq.

Forty-eight percent said a pullout would help fix the country's economic problems "a great deal," and an additional 20 percent said it would help at least somewhat. Some 43 percent said increasing government spending on health care, education and housing programs would help a great deal; 36 percent said cutting taxes.

"Let's stop paying for this war," said Hilda Sanchez, 44, of Waterford, Calif. "There are a lot of people who are struggling. We can use the money to pay for medical care and help people who were put out of their homes."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080208/ap_on_...mulus_ap_poll_3

Well thats a no-brainer!

We could have spent the billions that we spent in Iraq on fixing things like Healthcare, Infrastructure, Mortgage problems, employment, etc. but NOOOOO the CIC (commander in chimp) decided to start a war and while the nation slips into a recession, Exxon-Mobil is seeing record profits.

I know, lets demand full payback plus 15% from big oil. They pay back the full amount of the cost of war to the American taxpayers. The 15% should be evenly distributed to every wounded soldier or a dead soldier's next of kin.

Well, let me try:

1 - Look who took the poll, the AP. Could it be possible that they have an agenda, that they could the least bit be slanted to the left?

2 - You can make a poll indicate anything you want depending on the wording. Did the poll say that most Americans would want us out of Iraq by pulling out tomorrow, letting the Shiite majority and the Muslim extremists take over the country? Then the Shiites could exterminate the Sunnis & the Kurds? Then, increase the chances that Iran (Shiite dominated) would control Iran, use their oil resources to fund their nuclear program and support terrorists? I don't think so.

3 - My preference would be that we were able to leave Iraq tomorrow with a stable democratic government in place. If the question were worded that way, I would yes, lets leave. Not going to happen that quickly.

Summary - it all depends on how the poll was worded. Do I trust the MSM? No. Did they share the wording of the questions in the poll? No!

Well, let me try:

1 - Look who took the poll, the AP. Could it be possible that they have an agenda, that they could the least bit be slanted to the left?

2 - You can make a poll indicate anything you want depending on the wording. Did the poll say that most Americans would want us out of Iraq by pulling out tomorrow, letting the Shiite majority and the Muslim extremists take over the country? Then the Shiites could exterminate the Sunnis & the Kurds? Then, increase the chances that Iran (Shiite dominated) would control Iran, use their oil resources to fund their nuclear program and support terrorists? I don't think so.

3 - My preference would be that we were able to leave Iraq tomorrow with a stable democratic government in place. If the question were worded that way, I would yes, lets leave. Not going to happen that quickly.

Summary - it all depends on how the poll was worded. Do I trust the MSM? No. Did they share the wording of the questions in the poll? No!

#2 - I misstyped. Meant control Iraq.

Guest Henry K

I like point number 2, we sure don't want to leave Iraq in the hands of the majority of people. But isn't that the problem, these silly people in the Middle East pick people we don't like. Damn democracy!

Archived