garbage gas

Guest Guest

Is it true that Broome County is paying a company to burn off the gas generated by our landfill? I understand it is costing $35,000 per MONTH! to do this.

Who in their worst moment would have agreed to this?

Did NYSEG payoff someone so that we couldn't have ELECTRICITY generated by the gas?

It could power the entire airport area.

Tell me it isn't so.

If it is so, let's get it corrected.

Shame if all they are doing is burning it off. That landfill has to be producing quite the amount of gas. They could collect it, store it and sell it off but that makes too much sense.

How much gas is produced at the joint sewer plant? That has to be considerable also. I kinda recall , years ago, Mother Earth News magazine detailed a project on how to captuer and contain gas from your septic system. Now there's a thought.

3. Landfill:

Stacy asked about the article in this week’s paper discussing the making of electricity from methane gas at the

County Landfill. BC made an environmentally responsible decision to generate electricity from the landfill

methane instead of only flaring off the excess methane. Broome County collects the gas on a system built by

Meridian Resources and managed by their subsidiary Broome Energy Resources, LLC who then sells it to

NYSEG. County payments to Meridian Resources for gas collection infrastructure and monthly electricity

generation payments are complete. The generators are up and running, producing electricity at about 4.8 cents

per kilowatt-hour. The County sold their rights to the gas to Meridian for a 15-year period. When the contract

runs out Broome Energy can say yes or no to continued use. If Broome Energy chose not to renew the contract,

BC would then have to generate their own electricity or hire other private companies to collect and manage the

gas. Most counties don’t use their landfill to produce their own electricity. Currently, the County landfill

produces 1,100 kilowatts per hour of electricity, which will likely increase in the future. A third turbine may be

needed at the collection facility in the future if the quantity of methane captured exceeds the capacity of the

existing two generators.

Stacy mentioned that the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) recently issued a policy to

establish a State assistance program for municipal owners or operators of landfills to recover a portion of the

costs of design and construction of active landfill gas collection and treatment systems. The policy is authorized

to be used as guidance for State assistance and reimbursement of active landfill gas management projects since

the Part 360-9 regulations have not yet been amended to address these types of projects. The DEC intends to

incorporate the guidelines into 6 NYCRR Part 360-9 via a later revision of Part 360. Perhaps the County could

recoup money for their landfill gas collection management program.

I know they had a big generator up there and the last I heard a few years ago, NYSEG was dragging their feet getting a line too it.

I would have thought everything would be working by now.

Guest urallidiots

Wow, don't you guys know NYSEG doesn't generate any power? They buy it on the open market. So if it's cheaper and they can create enough power ( we are power hogs and no way burning gas at the landfill will ever create enough) then it's cheaper for them and you.

I love reading all the comments about that company or many others. The general population is filled with idiots. I find it entertaining.

Archived