Susquehanna valley sports

Guest Guest

I said to ask her you ignorant slob. Oh wait I shouldn't have typed that it may have offended you. Oh wait you just need to suck it up and get tougher. What is it with you defending cook, After his meltdown screaming session in which he berated the Halaquist girl he was told in front of the public attending the tournament by the tournament director that if he ever shows a display of that kind again he would never be allowed to enter the tournament again. He gets very personal and attacks physical as well as mental attributes of his players. So if the first words I typed do not offend you then I guess you would think cook is a good guy.

Only way your words can offend me is if you meant a thing to me. So do not confuse me with someone who gives a d@mn about you. My point was simple, why would she continue to work with and for him? You did not answer that question with your little rant. I have seen coaches who are paid millions of dollars melt down, screan at their players, get reprimanded and get evicted from games, yet go on to win titles. You want success, suck it up yourself. I bet you also blame the coach when your little Suzie's team didn't win.

Perhaps its your little petunia who could not measure up to his standards? if he is that bad, why is he widely recommended across the country? Why are his camps always full? Why do his lessons always have a waiting list? In three years of my daughter knowing him, the only people I have met who are negative about him are those who precious darlings couldn't measure up.

I do not know him personally, I know him as what he is my daughters pitching coach, who has never said one cross word to her. Again, did yours not measure up?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only way your words can offend me is if you meant a thing to me. So do not confuse me with someone who gives a d@mn about you. My point was simple, why would she continue to work with and for him? You did not answer that question with your little rant. I have seen coaches who are paid millions of dollars melt down, screan at their players, get reprimanded and get evicted from games, yet go on to win titles. You want success, suck it up yourself. I bet you also blame the coach when your little Suzie's team didn't win.

Perhaps its your little petunia who could not measure up to his standards? if he is that bad, why is he widely recommended across the country? Why are his camps always full? Why do his lessons always have a waiting list? In three years of my daughter knowing him, the only people I have met who are negative about him are those who precious darlings couldn't measure up.

I do not know him personally, I know him as what he is my daughters pitching coach, who has never said one cross word to her. Again, did yours not measure up?

I do have to say that he is a totally different person when coaching your daughter one on one then coaching during travel or the softball season...thats when his true colors come out. I know this because my daughter has worked with him one on one and then also played high school ball for him. Its like Jekyl & Hyde

Your little girl attending a camp is how you judge cook, do you pay for this camp?? I think you are foolish to think that how cook behaves at his camp which my daughter has attended in the past is a true measure of the man. I have attended games he has coached both school and travel and to watch his antics is a times hilarious except that the brunt of these antics is leveled at young girls. Hey the parents and too some measure the girls do like him but for you to defend the antics of this lunitic tell me your girl is still young and not playing for him just attending his camps. I only mentioned your little girl as you lowered yourself to try to diminish my child so maybe the harsh words I typed are deserved, maybe you and cook deserve each other as you seem quick to try to degrade someone you do not even know. Our daughter has a State Championship so I think she more than measures up. Peace

Bottom Line is that Coach Cook has proven to be successful in the past (in both Coaching Softball and Teaching Softball). You may not like his methods and you may (and don't have to) like him as a person. If you don't want to play for the man, then don't. If you don't want to be taught and coached by the man, don't. But, as others have indicated. There is currently a waiting list for kids who want to get into his camps. He has a long line of kids who want to play Summer Travel Ball for him. I am certain that they all, to a person (or their parents) know of his reputation (positive and negative), but know that his is a "Proven Winner". Many people have said that they would NEVER have their kids coached by Bobby Knight, because of what he is perceived by some to be. However, Coach Knight is a Hall of Fame Coach, who has coached many individuals, who have said that he has taught them not only the game of basketball, but the game of life. I would say that Coach Cook falls into the same catagory.

You can say all you want about him. What you have seen on the field. What you may have heard. If you don't like it or his style, then don't be part of it. But, as other have said. People he has "so called" called out on the field, continue to flock to him for Coaching, For Teaching and even some teach for him.

So as they say "If you don't like the fire, get out of the frying pan"

Bottom Line is that Coach Cook has proven to be successful in the past (in both Coaching Softball and Teaching Softball). You may not like his methods and you may (and don't have to) like him as a person. If you don't want to play for the man, then don't. If you don't want to be taught and coached by the man, don't. But, as others have indicated. There is currently a waiting list for kids who want to get into his camps. He has a long line of kids who want to play Summer Travel Ball for him. I am certain that they all, to a person (or their parents) know of his reputation (positive and negative), but know that his is a "Proven Winner". Many people have said that they would NEVER have their kids coached by Bobby Knight, because of what he is perceived by some to be. However, Coach Knight is a Hall of Fame Coach, who has coached many individuals, who have said that he has taught them not only the game of basketball, but the game of life. I would say that Coach Cook falls into the same catagory.

You can say all you want about him. What you have seen on the field. What you may have heard. If you don't like it or his style, then don't be part of it. But, as other have said. People he has "so called" called out on the field, continue to flock to him for Coaching, For Teaching and even some teach for him.

So as they say "If you don't like the fire, get out of the frying pan"

Two comments and then I will let this go. First if he has this long line of players waiting to play travel ball for him why has he been contacting players from other teams about playing for his elite team and 16U team . Second you are joking right, your comparison to Bobby Knight is only a joke right I mean cook has never coached at the collegiate level and to compare what he does for travel if you have any idea about girls softbal,l any team from Southern California would make cooks best team look like a modified team. You cannot have ever been to a national (True National) tournament to even compare cook to Bobby Knight

Then let it go as you have no clue about what this man has accomplished on the High School Level as well as the Travel Ball Level. He has been recognized "nationally" for his successes coaching the Conklin Raiders, as well as being recognized on more than one occassion, nationally (NFCA) as Coach of the Year, while at Susquehanna Valley HS.

I believe that the poster was using Bobby Knight as a comparison in relationship to what Bobby Knight has been accussed of doing to a number of his former players, while coaching at IU, in comparison to what people have said he has done while coaching for the CR's or at SVHS. I think that you read way too much to that bloggers comments. Get a life and leave Coach Cook alone. I also agree with others on here by saying my daughter played for him both during her High School career as well as during the summers. She said that she would not trade in her experience playing for him for anything and respects him tremendously.

Two comments and then I will let this go. First if he has this long line of players waiting to play travel ball for him why has he been contacting players from other teams about playing for his elite team and 16U team . Second you are joking right, your comparison to Bobby Knight is only a joke right I mean cook has never coached at the collegiate level and to compare what he does for travel if you have any idea about girls softbal,l any team from Southern California would make cooks best team look like a modified team. You cannot have ever been to a national (True National) tournament to even compare cook to Bobby Knight

I said to ask her you ignorant slob. Oh wait I shouldn't have typed that it may have offended you. Oh wait you just need to suck it up and get tougher. What is it with you defending cook, After his meltdown screaming session in which he berated the Halaquist girl he was told in front of the public attending the tournament by the tournament director that if he ever shows a display of that kind again he would never be allowed to enter the tournament again. He gets very personal and attacks physical as well as mental attributes of his players. So if the first words I typed do not offend you then I guess you would think cook is a good guy.

He might but I on the other hand I think your an needle dick little prick. No offense meant a$$ ream boy.

Hey A$$ Wipe this mans team is going to ESPN RISE in November 1 of 64 teams invited from around the country to participate. You Know why his Team is going? No you don't, because as a first year 18U Gold team (The highest level you can achieve in ASA softball ) they qualified for Nationals 1 of 64 teams. They also went to the most prestigious tournament outside of nationals held during the summer months in Colorado in June and finished 7th in the power pool. Which is a selected group of teams playing in this tournament that get to compete against each other in the three days leading up to the actual start of the Firecracker Tournament. You can question his methods but there is no way in HELL you can question his end results for his teams. And you know why? Because when you arrive on the scene you are told what kind of ride you are about to experience, and if you can't handle it god knows why YOU accepted the challenge!!

Guest Coach Cook's Cavalry

You haters have won. Coach Cook is out of high school ball. Go back into your holes and look to gnaw on the next victim. Maybe the two moms can take their potshots at someone else. Coach Cook made a bad mistake in bringing her to the gold level. Hopefully the old tremor lady can get some teeth and stop making excuses for her tiny son.

You haters have won. Coach Cook is out of high school ball. Go back into your holes and look to gnaw on the next victim. Maybe the two moms can take their potshots at someone else. Coach Cook made a bad mistake in bringing her to the gold level. Hopefully the old tremor lady can get some teeth and stop making excuses for her tiny son.

Hummm now I got it guess it's a good thing I have a heart because unless the moms are already running around blowing their horns for their great accomplishments for society. I don't think they would like me blowing the whistle on them and their sweet angle.

It is all about the ego. Not just cook, also sinicki, waldron, clinton (not bob just carol). They think that it is about them. When they feel the team makes them look bad, they react. They act inappropriatley. They have put in so much of their time and effort (they do) that when it goes wrong they act out like spoiled kids. But also notice the time and effort they put in, which is alot. They know that its reps and more reps to get good. If a player can understand this and wants to use these coaches for improvement they can become better players.

It is all about the ego. Not just cook, also sinicki, waldron, clinton (not bob just carol). They think that it is about them. When they feel the team makes them look bad, they react. They act inappropriatley. They have put in so much of their time and effort (they do) that when it goes wrong they act out like spoiled kids. But also notice the time and effort they put in, which is alot. They know that its reps and more reps to get good. If a player can understand this and wants to use these coaches for improvement they can become better players.

I don't think that they think its all about them. The people who don't like their styles or opinions, might believe that, but knowing Coach Waldron, Coach Sinicki and Coach Cook personally, I strongly believe that they care about the kids they coach/teach. Their styles may be considered unorthodox or not consistant with modern beliefs and teachings, and some even may consider their styles "Old Fashioned and Out of Touch with Today's' Expectations" but they are all winners in my eyes (and that of many)

Guest Guest SV 101

Its funny how u guys can talk about SV like that. Can't back urselves up tho just stfu about SV they have some rough seasons who cares its High School sport and we have 13 Kids Going Division 1 this Fall anybody top that?

I don't think that they think its all about them. The people who don't like their styles or opinions, might believe that, but knowing Coach Waldron, Coach Sinicki and Coach Cook personally, I strongly believe that they care about the kids they coach/teach. Their styles may be considered unorthodox or not consistant with modern beliefs and teachings, and some even may consider their styles "Old Fashioned and Out of Touch with Today's' Expectations" but they are all winners in my eyes (and that of many)

As far as I'm concerned, you can't even put Cook in the same class as Coach Sinicki. Sinicki has way more class and skill to coach than Cook ever will. Not to mention he would never treat his players the way Cook does. They are in two completely different worlds.

Sinicki has his detrators (many) just as Cook has. Likewise, Sinicki has many people who respect him, as does Cook. As someone else said in an earlier post, either you want to play for them or you don't (and if you don't, then just don't). Many people want to attend Coach Cook's camps (not sure if Coach Sinicki has one or not) and with such, I guess he can't be that bad. If he was so bad, no one would bother attending his camps, nor would want to play for him on the Conklin Raider Team. If you don't like these guys, go play for someone else and go to someone else to be taught the game. Its that SIMPLE (doesn't take a genius to figure that out)

And with that can we close the book on Cook ?

As for other SV Sports ...

Other than the traditionaly strong Boys Soccer & Girls Softball programs, what have they got ? For 10 years+, very talented basketball teams have been coached down to .500 (or much worse) levels. No program - no off season regimen to speak of. Football - same story ... Other than last years team,s success (admittedly against very weak competition) - they have been dreadful. Truth be told - last year's 6-2 team probably goes 3-5 or worse if they had to play this year's schedule.

But hope springs eternal and big things are expected from the B-Ball squad this year, and the Football squad 2-3 years down the road.

We'll have to wait and see ...

Sinicki has his detrators (many) just as Cook has. Likewise, Sinicki has many people who respect him, as does Cook. As someone else said in an earlier post, either you want to play for them or you don't (and if you don't, then just don't). Many people want to attend Coach Cook's camps (not sure if Coach Sinicki has one or not) and with such, I guess he can't be that bad. If he was so bad, no one would bother attending his camps, nor would want to play for him on the Conklin Raider Team. If you don't like these guys, go play for someone else and go to someone else to be taught the game. Its that SIMPLE (doesn't take a genius to figure that out)

Sinicki doesn't hold camps because hes not trying to pad his own pockets with money like Cook. People are simply foolish to pay any amount of money to "learn" from that man, let alone pay to play on his travel softball team. He had a star pitcher for a daughter and built his reputation around winning from her. The man doesn't even coach his travel team anymore...he sits on a bucket behind the fence.

Its funny how u guys can talk about SV like that. Can't back urselves up tho just stfu about SV they have some rough seasons who cares its High School sport and we have 13 Kids Going Division 1 this Fall anybody top that?

Please don't lie as an SV parent I have no idea who you think the 13 D1 athletes at the school are but it is an out and out lie. Football has no D1, volleyball none, boys soccer- Rood, girls soccer none, cross country none, golf- maybe Griffiths if he keeps improving, tennis Starke may be at D1 all that is not 13 players

Guest arselyi l;institut

Cook may sit on a bucket, but many of the people who have bashed people on this post, are sitting on their brains, if you know what i mean

Just some non-bias comments concerning all of these posts. I am not from the STAC area (actually I reside up in the South Glens Falls Area). I have reading information on here related to the so called demise of the Susquehanna Valley HS Sports Programs and some specific posts related to SV's former Softball Coach. Well, I strongly feel that in today's competitive interscholastic sports world, sad as it may seem to many, kids today almost have to "PAY" (or in such communities where money is tight, get "Sponsored" to be able) to play on travel and AAU programs in order to improve their skill levels, in order to bring this back to there High School Teams. Today, most of the successful HS Sports Programs are filled with kids who play their HS Sport, almost all year long. You see it in Soccer (Boys and Girls), and you definately see it in Boys and Girls Basketball. Look at a program such as the Mount Vernon (NY) High School Boys Basketball Program. It is NOT the tradition of the program that keeps it going year after year. Its the fact that those kids are provided (almost 99%) SPONSORSHIPS to be able to play and travel on AAU Summer Programs. In the case of High School Softball, about 99% of the top level High School Softball Programs in the State have their kids "Committed" to play on Summer Travel Ball. Some of the ELITE High School Softball Players in the State, have actually in the past, played on Travel Teams OUTSIDE of NYS (Chamers of Virginia for example, and teams in New Jersey). The successful coach are able to get their HS Kids to play and COMMIT to playing on Travel Teams both during the SUMMER and FALL to improve their games. If kids are NOT WILLING to commit to this, the program will suffer, no matter how good the coach is, PERIOD. I believe (although I do not know as a fact) that in the case of Coach Cook, I would bet that he was unable to get his kids at Binghamton High School to commit to improving their games. I also suspect that many of the kids at Binghamton also did not have the financial means to be able to PAY to play on Summer and Fall Travel Teams. This is not to say that (like the Mount Vernon Boys Basketball Team did) the kids at Binghamton could not have found sponsors to help them offset the costs of travel team participation, but this takes COMMITMENT by the Kids (and their parents). I would suspect that when Coach Cook was coaching at Susquehanna Valley, that almost 90% of his High School Players, also played on Summer and Fall Travel Teams, and with that, played a huge impact on the High School Softball Programs at SVHS, during his run as Varsity Coach. How many coaches has the SVHS Varsity Softball Team had since Coach Cook left? If they had only 1 and still has that coach that woudl be great. But if you are turning over Coaches as frequent as kids graduate from the High School, then you are NOT building a program, that would be successful. Good Coaches will only coach programs where the kids (and parents) commit 100% to the program. Otherwise, they will move on. Thus the program(s) will suffer.

Just some non-bias comments concerning all of these posts. I am not from the STAC area (actually I reside up in the South Glens Falls Area). I have reading information on here related to the so called demise of the Susquehanna Valley HS Sports Programs and some specific posts related to SV's former Softball Coach. Well, I strongly feel that in today's competitive interscholastic sports world, sad as it may seem to many, kids today almost have to "PAY" (or in such communities where money is tight, get "Sponsored" to be able) to play on travel and AAU programs in order to improve their skill levels, in order to bring this back to there High School Teams. Today, most of the successful HS Sports Programs are filled with kids who play their HS Sport, almost all year long. You see it in Soccer (Boys and Girls), and you definately see it in Boys and Girls Basketball. Look at a program such as the Mount Vernon (NY) High School Boys Basketball Program. It is NOT the tradition of the program that keeps it going year after year. Its the fact that those kids are provided (almost 99%) SPONSORSHIPS to be able to play and travel on AAU Summer Programs. In the case of High School Softball, about 99% of the top level High School Softball Programs in the State have their kids "Committed" to play on Summer Travel Ball. Some of the ELITE High School Softball Players in the State, have actually in the past, played on Travel Teams OUTSIDE of NYS (Chamers of Virginia for example, and teams in New Jersey). The successful coach are able to get their HS Kids to play and COMMIT to playing on Travel Teams both during the SUMMER and FALL to improve their games. If kids are NOT WILLING to commit to this, the program will suffer, no matter how good the coach is, PERIOD. I believe (although I do not know as a fact) that in the case of Coach Cook, I would bet that he was unable to get his kids at Binghamton High School to commit to improving their games. I also suspect that many of the kids at Binghamton also did not have the financial means to be able to PAY to play on Summer and Fall Travel Teams. This is not to say that (like the Mount Vernon Boys Basketball Team did) the kids at Binghamton could not have found sponsors to help them offset the costs of travel team participation, but this takes COMMITMENT by the Kids (and their parents). I would suspect that when Coach Cook was coaching at Susquehanna Valley, that almost 90% of his High School Players, also played on Summer and Fall Travel Teams, and with that, played a huge impact on the High School Softball Programs at SVHS, during his run as Varsity Coach. How many coaches has the SVHS Varsity Softball Team had since Coach Cook left? If they had only 1 and still has that coach that woudl be great. But if you are turning over Coaches as frequent as kids graduate from the High School, then you are NOT building a program, that would be successful. Good Coaches will only coach programs where the kids (and parents) commit 100% to the program. Otherwise, they will move on. Thus the program(s) will suffer.

the best programs, players and teams from this area were years ago when the legend coaches encouraged kids to play all sports they wished. if they only like one sport, that's fine. guys that could play football also played hoops and baseball. many excelled at all 3. some just held their own. the point was, stay competetive all year round and don't be a robot. this modern day debacle of carting high school kids all over the place is insane. how bout being a kid once in a while. many tire of the sport. they aren't lazy, just human. most travel teams are competitions between the kids on the same team, the psycho parents and unknowledgable coaches. it's more about them than the kids. go to the travel games. the parents are more competetive than the kids. the vast majority of the kids are going nowhere sports wise.

if you can't build a school program without a travel team, you shouldn't be coaching. i'm not saying to take it easy on them. when it's time to go, it's time to start hard work. if you know what you are doing, it's not that hard. travel and AAU teams certainly do not improve play. when i go see a high school basketball or baseball game, i cringe at the level of play. it is horrible. the coaching is no better. the travel and AAU coaches are a joke as well. you play all year, yet the level of play before this stuff went crazy was far better. more scholarships and more pro's. i went to U-E. look at the semi older days. look at the pro's out of there. many played multiple sports and even had offers more than 1. that is an athlete. look at bingo players of the mid 80's. nothing today comes close to them or u-e at that time. most were multiple sporters.

so end the kiddie beauty pageants known as AAU travel teams. they don't work and hurt the kids socially. but we all know they don't exist for the kids. it's to feed the ego's of the parents and coaches. who were the coaches that preached multiple sports?? angeline, hoover, folli, tarricone, dienhart, etc. those guys never had travel teams. they did pretty good and produced more scholarships and pro athletes than any bozo now has. but the modern people know more than they did. it really shows.

Sadly, SV sports are just falling apart! Horrible coaching, horrible parenting, horrible athletic director, horrible fans....

Let me explain -

1. Challenging coaches like Mr. Cook and Mr. Larkin are driven out by parents who cannot stand it when a coach demands respect. Are those coaches perfect - absolutely not - but are your children perfect? Are the coaches methods always right - no - but if your team is winning (like their teams were before they got booted), the kids are going to ultimately have a lot more fun, than if they are constantly losing. Most of the SV coaches today let the children run all over them - there is no respect for these coaches. That is the parents and the coach's fault.

2. How can these children go from being undefeated in the town leagues and modified level - to losing constantly at the JV and Varsity level?? Prime example - great coaching at modified level for girls soccer, basketball and football - teams go undefeated, once they get to JV & modified level - teams start to fall apart - with the same exact kids playing??? How do you explain that? We have our girls varsity soccer team that has 10 seniors that have been playing together since they were 5 yrs old!! They have played indoor soccer and played pretty much year round and they are losing horribly this year!!! It is absolutely pathetic and sad for these girls! They have worked so hard for all these years to have it fall apart in their senior year!

3. Many of our coaches are "great people". There is no question that these are very nice people, but I am sorry - their coaching skills leave much to be desired. If you are constantly losing - look at our girls varsity & JV volleyball teams - wouldn't you change the way you were doing things instead of playing the game exactly the same everytime and losing? If you do not have a winning season for more than 2 years (1 year if you get an amazing team from the previous year and screw it up) - it is time for you to go.

4. Parents need to teach their children to be respectful of their coaches. If a player is not getting play time, or if there are issues with the coach, the child should be able to approach the coach and have a respectful conversation. The parents should not be getting involved, unless the child cannot come to a resolution on their own. When parents do speak to a coach - again with professionalism - it would avoid a lot of problems and I know a lot of parents (at all schools) do not do this. Another important note, coaches need to be respectful of their players as well.

5. Our athletic director is an absolute joke!! His sports programs are doing horribly and he does not care! He is doing NOTHING to bring in feeder teams for the sports programs and whenever parents try to start something - he thwarts their efforts. He continually screws up recognition programs and does nothing to control the crowds when they get unruly. He always tries to toot is own horn that he has done so much - big deal Joel - your wall of fame is great for all those long gone athletes - but what about those that are still playing for your program?? It would be nice for you to put the same amount of effort into those athletes that are currently in your sports program, than you do for the ones that are long gone!! NO ONE has any RESPECT for this man - he is a joke and everyone knows it. Even his own coaches ridicule him behind his back. He got booted out of Trumansburg and I am not sure why he is still at SV - how do we get rid of someone like him?

6. Our SV fans at a recent volleyball game were calling some of their classmates fat as they were on the court!! Isn't that amazing and something to be proud of?? They were also cheering for the girls on the other team and not their own! Sadly - SV has almost no school spirit anymore - the kids are all down from continually losing - and you can see it on the teams faces. Instead of the coaches trying to rally their teams...they stay strangely silent on the sidelines! I have seen teams beat us that have no subs on the bench!!! Why? Their coaching, attitude and school spirit can really make a difference!

Anyone have any good suggestions how to help? Has other schools been in this position and turned it around?

How can these children go from being undefeated in the town leagues and modified level - to losing constantly at the JV and Varsity level?? Prime example - great coaching at modified level for girls soccer, basketball and football - teams go undefeated, once they get to JV & modified level - teams start to fall apart - with the same exact kids playing??? How do you explain that? We have our girls varsity soccer team that has 10 seniors that have been playing together since they were 5 yrs old!! They have played indoor soccer and played pretty much year round and they are losing horribly this year!!! It is absolutely pathetic and sad for these girls! They have worked so hard for all these years to have it fall apart in their senior year

Undefeated? Maybe at the modified level but they have sucked in the dome league forever and thats pretty bad. That group of girls has just never been good, they have one so so player and shes not a senior

Its all about kids respecting the Coaches and the parents leaving the coaches alone. Maybe then, and only then, will the good coaches stay. Otherwise the good coaches will leave, because they don't want to be bothered dealing with parents whose only goals is to have their kid get a full college scholarship for their sport, no matter how good they are, and will go to the School Board, if they don't like how 'Joey' or "Suzy' are being treated or how much playing time they are getting, as well as the kids going home and crying to their mommy's and daddy's that the coach yelled at me or that they are not starting or only get limited playing time. Gee, 25 or 30 years ago, everyone would tell the parents to leave it alone and the kids to shut up or leave the team. But today, coaches get sued and brought up in front of the school board like it was an old fashioned hanging. Sad - Really Sad

Archived