Susquehanna valley sports

Guest Guest

Its all about kids respecting the Coaches and the parents leaving the coaches alone. Maybe then, and only then, will the good coaches stay. Otherwise the good coaches will leave, because they don't want to be bothered dealing with parents whose only goals is to have their kid get a full college scholarship for their sport, no matter how good they are, and will go to the School Board, if they don't like how 'Joey' or "Suzy' are being treated or how much playing time they are getting, as well as the kids going home and crying to their mommy's and daddy's that the coach yelled at me or that they are not starting or only get limited playing time. Gee, 25 or 30 years ago, everyone would tell the parents to leave it alone and the kids to shut up or leave the team. But today, coaches get sued and brought up in front of the school board like it was an old fashioned hanging. Sad - Really Sad

This is the best post I've ever read on BCVOICE.

Prediction - within 5 years 50% of HS sports teams will no longer exist because no one will want the coaching job. Constant harassment, year-round training, and...the best part...about $4000 after taxes for a varsity basketball coach.

Smart people with families will have far better things to do with their time than explain to an angry parent why their child isn't averaging 20 points a game.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can these children go from being undefeated in the town leagues and modified level - to losing constantly at the JV and Varsity level?? Prime example - great coaching at modified level for girls soccer, basketball and football - teams go undefeated, once they get to JV & modified level - teams start to fall apart - with the same exact kids playing??? How do you explain that? We have our girls varsity soccer team that has 10 seniors that have been playing together since they were 5 yrs old!! They have played indoor soccer and played pretty much year round and they are losing horribly this year!!! It is absolutely pathetic and sad for these girls! They have worked so hard for all these years to have it fall apart in their senior year

First an undefeated Mod Team means nothing, they don't play a full league and many school in the past had split squads that would eventually combine and have more talent. Prime example of this is Forks Girls Soccer vs SV, the past years while Forks would have two teams and SV one, SV would win, by JV the weaker players at Forks were out and the stronger two groups would start beating SV thats a predictable outcome.

The current group of SV girls on Varsity have been living off of 8th grade glory for years now. Only one kid plays true higher level soccer the rest just got lazy and expected to be able to turn it on whenever they wanted. Sorry but it doesn't work like that you have to keep working to improve or you will get passed by. I haven't seen a strong SV team in a dome league for a while with the girls. I saw the HS team play, the outside backs were slow, the mid had no purpose or control and the attack lacked speed as well. I agree the coach is awful, no idea what she has been doing to train the team but its obvious it hasn't been soccer.

The football stuff is a bit different, from what I have seen from SV kids is good base talent but little size ever developed. Seems like the kids there don't hit the weight room like other schools, I can't remember a top notch lineman from SV in a long time. No matter how many good skill players like Dure, if you can't block for them you are in trouble. The other problem there is Wagstaff, guy is a joke why do you think he was run out of ME so fast?

Hey A$$ Wipe this mans team is going to ESPN RISE in November 1 of 64 teams invited from around the country to participate. You Know why his Team is going? No you don't, because as a first year 18U Gold team (The highest level you can achieve in ASA softball ) they qualified for Nationals 1 of 64 teams. They also went to the most prestigious tournament outside of nationals held during the summer months in Colorado in June and finished 7th in the power pool. Which is a selected group of teams playing in this tournament that get to compete against each other in the three days leading up to the actual start of the Firecracker Tournament. You can question his methods but there is no way in HELL you can question his end results for his teams. And you know why? Because when you arrive on the scene you are told what kind of ride you are about to experience, and if you can't handle it god knows why YOU accepted the challenge!!

are you talking seriously about girls softball???? where they must put the bases 6 ft apart to accomodate the speed demons running them. where a short pop up somehow becomes a home run. where every champoinship team has a star pitcher who can throw a no hitter every other game???? that's great coaching. how bad is a sport when no hitters are common instead of rare???? a ham sandwich could coach a girl's softball team with good players, whatever good player means in a non sporting event. try and get a grip.

you do

Hey A$$ Wipe this mans team is going to ESPN RISE in November 1 of 64 teams invited from around the country to participate. You Know why his Team is going? No you don't, because as a first year 18U Gold team (The highest level you can achieve in ASA softball ) they qualified for Nationals 1 of 64 teams. They also went to the most prestigious tournament outside of nationals held during the summer months in Colorado in June and finished 7th in the power pool. Which is a selected group of teams playing in this tournament that get to compete against each other in the three days leading up to the actual start of the Firecracker Tournament. You can question his methods but there is no way in HELL you can question his end results for his teams. And you know why? Because when you arrive on the scene you are told what kind of ride you are about to experience, and if you can't handle it god knows why YOU accepted the challenge!!

are you talking seriously about girls softball???? where they must put the bases 6 ft apart to accomodate the speed demons running them. where a short pop up somehow becomes a home run. where every champoinship team has a star pitcher who can throw a no hitter every other game???? that's great coaching. how bad is a sport when no hitters are common instead of rare???? a ham sandwich could coach a girl's softball team with good players, whatever good player means in a non sporting event. try and get a grip.

you do

I believe Haskell- might be going to a D1 for softball

must have had a great coach. somone who can get a kid into D1 that doesn't even play a real sport is very impressive.

you do

I guess you must be on some kind of drug or something. Are you kidding? Especially, last year, where in High School they move the pitching plate back to 43 feet. Pitchers are no longer as dominant as in the past. Also, yes, in the past, great pitching certainly helped, but who coached these pitchers? (Duh) 'The Coach' - Go tell Lisa Fernandez, Dr. Dot Richardson or other softball pioneers, who played the game in the Olympics, that Fast Pitch Softball is not a real sport. I am sure that they would tell you to stand in the batter box and get beaned by a 72 mph fast ball. Maybe that would shake some sense into you

I guess you must be on some kind of drug or something. Are you kidding? Especially, last year, where in High School they move the pitching plate back to 43 feet. Pitchers are no longer as dominant as in the past. Also, yes, in the past, great pitching certainly helped, but who coached these pitchers? (Duh) 'The Coach' - Go tell Lisa Fernandez, Dr. Dot Richardson or other softball pioneers, who played the game in the Olympics, that Fast Pitch Softball is not a real sport. I am sure that they would tell you to stand in the batter box and get beaned by a 72 mph fast ball. Maybe that would shake some sense into you

yes, it's not a completely watered down version of baseball. i've faced many pitchers in my day. i have faced a guy throwing 98. i also got a chance to face a softball pitcher who was supposedly the fastest around. they toured the country and had demonstrations with young male players. there is no comparison. the 98 guy was hittable because he was predictable. the good hitters hit him, but i had a harder time of it. the softball pitchers, some 5-10 yrs our elder, were shelled by the good hitters. of course the bad hitters couldn't hit anyone. if i got hit by the fastest softball pitcher in the world, no problem. the 98 guy, i got some pain going on.

i actually see left handed hitters run up the line and swing at pitches while they are out of the batter's box. huh??????? that's legal in softball. in reality, that's an out. why is the box even there???? the bases are so close together it is ridiculous. a normal pop up turns into an extra base hit. it's a joke.

it's fine that girl's can play lower versions of boy's sports. if they have fun that's great. coaches don't make pitchers. more lack of knowledge on your part. i'm sick of seeing people take this stuff so seriously. travel teams, aau and great coaching. it's not hard. go for it, just don't act like it's a real sport.

Guest Bejamin

First girls softball is a much better sport to watch at high school or college in comparison to baseball, in all aspect that the games can be compared.

Having lived the first hand experience with Cook over the years I will explain what some dont understand. At his clinics he is an example of what a coach should be like, and yes lost if not all have a good time and learn. As you get into his program things change, it is not being an old style coach, he is manipulative to the kids, verbally abusive (never saw anything physical). I venture anyone to ask a group of children that grew up with him as a coach will tell you how much they dislike him today, the head games he played with them.

Sports in high school are not all about winning but learning more about the game of life, and Cooks way is not mine or many others that have had children go through his programs.

First girls softball is a much better sport to watch at high school or college in comparison to baseball, in all aspect that the games can be compared.

Having lived the first hand experience with Cook over the years I will explain what some dont understand. At his clinics he is an example of what a coach should be like, and yes lost if not all have a good time and learn. As you get into his program things change, it is not being an old style coach, he is manipulative to the kids, verbally abusive (never saw anything physical). I venture anyone to ask a group of children that grew up with him as a coach will tell you how much they dislike him today, the head games he played with them.

Sports in high school are not all about winning but learning more about the game of life, and Cooks way is not mine or many others that have had children go through his programs.

your first statement is false. the rest of your post is quite insightful.

Guest softball philosopher

This just proves what is wrong with sports today: Let the coach coach and parents stay out of the way. High school sports today is being ruined because the parent can't handle their diamond girl getting pushed. When your kid gets to the college level, see how gentle the college coaches are with her. By the way, if the ponies coach is so great, what happened to the kid from Greene? Why has she not been recruited?

Isn't she being recruited by Binghamton? Isn't Binghamton U getting in the picture with many of the top local girls now? Very good catcher from Tremors is signed for next year.

This just proves what is wrong with sports today: Let the coach coach and parents stay out of the way. High school sports today is being ruined because the parent can't handle their diamond girl getting pushed. When your kid gets to the college level, see how gentle the college coaches are with her. By the way, if the ponies coach is so great, what happened to the kid from Greene? Why has she not been recruited?

What are you trying to say. First you say "if the ponies coach is so great" then you ask why someone is not being recruited. These are two totally seperate issues. The recruiting process is not a stactic process, you must first be noticed by a coach or scout, then you must see if you are compatitble with that school, staff and the program you wish to study is offered. Then you must decide if the offer they make meets your specific needs. The girl you mention is awesome but sometimes things just don't work out. I think she has been recruited just not working out yet.

Hope it works out for her and ALL the local girls who play so well and work so hard. But there is no magic formula or anything any one coach can do.

Actually to play college softball you start dedicating yourself to that sport in your early teens or sooner. You go to camps, work on skills in the off season, play for school team, play for travel team, also must keep grades high and do well on college entrance tests. Sometimes the college you want has a clinic or camp you can go to. Then you contact the colleges you want and they let you know if they are interested. You have to sell yourself and be accessible, that's why alot of players get on the higher end travel teams. Playing at tournaments the college coaches attend make you more easy to see and evaluate. Then you have to use all your resources: your parents, school coach, travel coach, and fellow players can help add to your chances. Then if it all lines up, you may get some of your costs paid.

So your saying that the ponies don't go to high level tournaments like the Tremors and Raiders, and thus cost this kid a scholarship. I did notice on their site that they haven't recruited too many players in the past number of years.

How can these children go from being undefeated in the town leagues and modified level - to losing constantly at the JV and Varsity level?? Prime example - great coaching at modified level for girls soccer, basketball and football - teams go undefeated, once they get to JV & modified level - teams start to fall apart - with the same exact kids playing??? How do you explain that? We have our girls varsity soccer team that has 10 seniors that have been playing together since they were 5 yrs old!! They have played indoor soccer and played pretty much year round and they are losing horribly this year!!! It is absolutely pathetic and sad for these girls! They have worked so hard for all these years to have it fall apart in their senior year

And now the poor seniors get to get wooped in their first round of sectional play

@

It goes in cycles. SV will be back soon enough. Football & Basketball both (but it won't be next year - looking at 2-3 years before the the cycle runs it's course).

The youth football program is broken. They have kids who never see the field while some never come off. The kids won't improve and may well drop out long before they mature. The "studs" now won't necessarily be the athletes later. The school coaches should see this and step in. Sure they win now against other schools who divide teams equally and play everybody but their system will never produce long term winners.

Both programs not strong enough to produce consistent winners at this point (ala Forks in Football & Norwich in Hoops).

Youth Football does seem to be headed in the right direction though - much stronger than it has been in recent memory.

Sinicki has his detrators (many) just as Cook has. Likewise, Sinicki has many people who respect him, as does Cook. As someone else said in an earlier post, either you want to play for them or you don't (and if you don't, then just don't). Many people want to attend Coach Cook's camps (not sure if Coach Sinicki has one or not) and with such, I guess he can't be that bad. If he was so bad, no one would bother attending his camps, nor would want to play for him on the Conklin Raider Team. If you don't like these guys, go play for someone else and go to someone else to be taught the game. Its that SIMPLE (doesn't take a genius to figure that out)

Sinicki has more class than cook? Are you kidding me?!? Go watch a varsity boys basketball game.. During the starting lineup when the players get called out and go over and shake the other coaches hand.. He sends the jv coach out! How unsportsmanlike is that. He doesn't greet other teams when they come to the school. That's the responsibility of the coach and the AD, he is both. He is a poor excuse for both of those! It's disgusting

Guest Stop posting Mom

Sinicki has more class than cook? Are you kidding me?!? Go watch a varsity boys basketball game.. During the starting lineup when the players get called out and go over and shake the other coaches hand.. He sends the jv coach out! How unsportsmanlike is that. He doesn't greet other teams when they come to the school. That's the responsibility of the coach and the AD, he is both. He is a poor excuse for both of those! It's disgusting

Are you serious ?

Lady - Please stick to subjects you know something about like cooking or cleaning.

Guest Benjamin

If you really want to see what a lot of people are staying here, go watch a game coached by Sinicki and Cook against each other. An example of why they should not be coaching is sure to arise, they both act like 7th grade girls in a cat fight, instead of coaches teaching high school teenagers.

Guest takealook

The list keeps getting longer & longer. Conklin Raiders & college softball go together!!!

Barb Cook

University of Conneticut

Kate Gentile

Penn State

Ann Magur

University of Buffalo

Emily Ling

Lehigh University

Erin Brooks

Fordham

Lauren Picciano

University of Buffalo

Kristen Hricenak

Cornell University

Amy Dodd

Canisius University

Char Dodd

Canisius University

Mary Russell

University of Buffalo

Sara Surosky

Providence University

Laura Belardinelli

University of Pittsburgh

Becky Murphy

♦ Fordham

Megan Oliver

St. Johns

Deb Hodge

SUNY Albany

Katrina Dunning

SUNY Albany

Theresa Walsh

Virginia Tech

Jodie Fiacco

Sienna

LaraStone

SUNY Cortland

Kim Kalec

♦ Lemoyne

Jen Winters

Lemoyne

Nikki Matisi

AIC

Theresa Gugger

University of Buffalo

Andi Noyes

SUNY Courtland

Samantha Fancher

SUNY Oneonta

Missy LaBarre

SUNY Oneonta

Leah Ritch

Geneseo College

Jen Donlin

St. Bonaventure

Kristina Dillon

Misercordia

Lindsay Spaziani

Lemoyne

Stacy Falkowski

Caldwell

Rachael Wiggins

Fordham

Carrie Flasphaler

Caldwell

Alyssa Speno

Caldwell

Devin Glezen

Binghamton/Lockhaven

Amanda Mills

Binghamton

Brandice Balschmiter

Univerisity of Mass

Shannon Pease

Seton Hall

Brittni Frantellizi

Caldwell

Sammi Dieffenbach

Cortland

Whitney Williams

University of Mass

Kara Gorgos

Mercyhurst

Ann Marie Pagano

Delaware

Joce Dearborn

Fordham

Dani Pendlebury

St. Bonaventure

Meghan Shager

Fordham

Becca Wiggins

Fordham

Caitlin Monahan

Vermont

Abby Surosky

Delaware

Katelin Fitzpatrick

East Stroudsburg

Tenley Halaquist

Lehigh University

Nicole Osovski

Hofstra

Kelsey Mullins

Lockhaven

Lindsey Stout

Albany

Holly Frampton

Stonybrook

Emily Orr

Fairfield

Liz Woidt

Fairleigh Dickinson

Bertie Lake

Delaware

Morgan Wharton

Dartmouth

Kayla Kaminsky

Siena

JB Bates

Caldwell

Meaghan Lewis

Philadelphia University

Stacey Fox

Rhode Island

Jessie Winans

Coastal Carolina

Brianna Jennings

♦ Delaware

Cara Martin

♦ Rhode Island

Sarah Wayson

♦ Univeristy of Rochester

Karli Theleman

♦ Bryant

2011 Eastern Territory Gold Qualifier Champions. Only one of 64 teams and the ONLY NY team to attend Gold Nationals.

• 2011 Jersey Outlaw Champs
  • Colorado Sparkler Gold Power Pool 7th place
  • DWI Silver Bracket Champions
  • Fall Tournment invites to: Team NJ Fall Showcase, TNT, ESPN Rise.

it's girl's softball. anyone can go D1 in it if they are average. title IX beneficiaries who have to play watered down versions of boy's sports. not impressive.

it's girl's softball. anyone can go D1 in it if they are average. title IX beneficiaries who have to play watered down versions of boy's sports. not impressive.

Amazing how Cook is the only one to figure out grab a bunch of average players and I'll be compared to Casey Stengel!

You Sir/ Madam are an incredible stupid human.

Amazing how Cook is the only one to figure out grab a bunch of average players and I'll be compared to Casey Stengel!

You Sir/ Madam are an incredible stupid human.

your grammar skills show who the stupid one is. also, you are talking about girl's softball. what's next, whiffle ball????

Archived