1979 UE Football or 1985 BHS Football Team?

Guest Guest

75 D1 players...Mark Pineiro, Steve Garlock, Mark Selsmeyer

OK, I am confused.

I swear I wrestled Steve at Broome Tech in 1977 or 1978 when I was at Morrisville. I see he was on Rutgers roster for three seasons. Did he go to Broome Tech a year before Rutgers or do I need my meds adjusted?

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vestal 74 was tied for first with U.E. U.E. slaughtered Hoover in his final season by something like 49-6 . Vestal 75, Name the D1 players. Unbeaten streaks don't mean a thing when comparing the all time best for one season What year did the infamous Cal Harris QB Vestal?

The 75 Vestal team outscored their opponents 278-55.

The D-Line was massive

Kell Purdy DE-6'2 220

Wyatt Rozboril DE 6'1 220

Doug McCrossen DT 6'3 250

Jerry Harmon DT 6'2 250

Steve Garlock NT 6'1 290

Cal Harris was QB for the unbeaten State Championship team in 1978.

Garlock was 6'1" and 230 at most......gimme a break. You sound like the M-E coaches inflating their players sizes: Sorrenti listed 6'2" and 250 (no he's 5'11 and 215) and Gallagher listed at 6'6 and 220 (no he's 6'4" and 175).

The 75 Vestal team outscored their opponents 278-55.

The D-Line was massive

Kell Purdy DE-6'2 220

Wyatt Rozboril DE 6'1 220

Doug McCrossen DT 6'3 250

Jerry Harmon DT 6'2 250

Steve Garlock NT 6'1 290

That's part of my point where today's teams beat teams of yesteryear with no problem. That team may have been massive back then but today only ONE of them is considered large, Garlock. Today's linemen are bigger, faster AND stronger. There were a few section 4 championship teams in recent years where their O-line were all bigger than that Vestal team (except Garlock). Same goes with the rest of the makeup of the team. Bigger, faster and stronger overall, just like other sports. Physical records today blow away records of then. That transcends to team sports.

Garlock was 6'1" and 230 at most......gimme a break. You sound like the M-E coaches inflating their players sizes: Sorrenti listed 6'2" and 250 (no he's 5'11 and 215) and Gallagher listed at 6'6 and 220 (no he's 6'4" and 175).

I swear at times I thought they were listing player ht and wt IN uniform. When I played, even in the 70s, all out players were listed 1 to 2 inches taller than they actually were and 10 to 15 pounds heavier. I cannot recall my exact numbers then but I DO recall that they were basically what I figured I was fully dressed for a game.

Guest Fran A.

That's part of my point where today's teams beat teams of yesteryear with no problem. That team may have been massive back then but today only ONE of them is considered large, Garlock. Today's linemen are bigger, faster AND stronger. There were a few section 4 championship teams in recent years where their O-line were all bigger than that Vestal team (except Garlock). Same goes with the rest of the makeup of the team. Bigger, faster and stronger overall, just like other sports. Physical records today blow away records of then. That transcends to team sports.

Okay,explain these things then. Back in the 70s and 80s U.E. had kickers who would regulary kick the ball in the end zone. How come todays athletes can't do that. Mostly I see squib kicks. Jarvis Shields 100 meter speed was unequaled until Jordan Thomas virtually tied it over 20 years later. In the 70s Tom Mason hit baseballs with a wooden bat that were estimated at 475 feet. No current players can come close with a wooden bat. . Kendzierski in the 60s reportedly hit one that far too. The U.E. basketball team in 79-80 had starters 6 feet 9, six feet 6, and six feet five. I don't see many teams currently coming close to that. In my opinion the overall quality of high school sports is way down from what it was in the 70s. Vestal graduated close to 700 kids back then. Thats 2100 kids in grades 10-12. Today that number would be about 875. The larger pool of players gave you better overall atheltes to pick from. One more point. The Shot put. I don't see the leading local shot put distances any farther then they were in the 70s. Please explain these things.

Last I knew the greatest athlete ever played high school basketball and baseball in the late 70s and early 80s. Michael Jordan. Any UE team from 1975 - 1983 and UE 89 and 90. DESTROY any local team today. DESTROY!!! By the way Jarvis Shields would play hopscotch around any local defender today. Binghamton teams from 83- 92 beat up on any local team today. Not even close.

Okay,explain these things then. Back in the 70s and 80s U.E. had kickers who would regulary kick the ball in the end zone. How come todays athletes can't do that. Mostly I see squib kicks. Jarvis Shields 100 meter speed was unequaled until Jordan Thomas virtually tied it over 20 years later. In the 70s Tom Mason hit baseballs with a wooden bat that were estimated at 475 feet. No current players can come close with a wooden bat. . Kendzierski in the 60s reportedly hit one that far too. The U.E. basketball team in 79-80 had starters 6 feet 9, six feet 6, and six feet five. I don't see many teams currently coming close to that. In my opinion the overall quality of high school sports is way down from what it was in the 70s. Vestal graduated close to 700 kids back then. Thats 2100 kids in grades 10-12. Today that number would be about 875. The larger pool of players gave you better overall atheltes to pick from. One more point. The Shot put. I don't see the leading local shot put distances any farther then they were in the 70s. Please explain these things.

Garlock was 6'1 230 in his senior year

When he played as a sophomore on the 75 team he was heavier at 290.

Garlock went about 300 as a frosh. Pretty good player, real physical as he got older and got in better shape.

Not only were there more kids in school back then, there were less choices for sports. Soccer was no where's near as popular as it is now - no travel soccer/lacrosse/baseball/hockey. I recall UE had 120+ kids out for freshman football in the early 70's.

How wrong you are. The ME team the last two years had great size, but overall the teams I see HERE in Section 4 today are smaller. There are notable individual exceptions, but overall team size is down. Especially the DB's and WR's. Hobbits many of them who would have been on the bench if they had played in the 70’s.

Larger schools elsewhere, yes they are bigger [not necessarily better] than years ago. The improved/intensive training techniques has made them bigger, not necessarily better.

To start with there were more athletes here back in the 70's because of the larger enrollments. Simple logic, it was the peak of the baby boom. The overall team athletic talent is the biggest difference between the ‘70’s and today, not size, IMO. Then, as the other poster noted they didn't lose players to soccer. No great linemen lost today, but a few top athletes lost to other sports decimate today’s teams at DB, WR and a few RB’s!

• 3 years later...

Archived