1979 UE Football or 1985 BHS Football Team?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest
I get a kick out of all the fancy water stations the athletes get to drink from in this day and age. When that air horn went off signaling it was time for our water break you made a beeline for the water station with good reason. That water station consisted of one garden hose for 50 some odd players. It was definitely Darwin’s survival of the fittest. Those that were fit were in the front of the pack. I was usually near the front.

God I miss the “Good Old Days”!

Spoken like a true old fart. Some athletic programs have refused to recognize the dangers of dehydration and heat exhaustion. They will cite how the lack of water makes the players tougher and how they have never had trouble with heat exhaustion before. These are simply silly statements which quite honestly put the players at a significant health risk. Fortunately, many coaches and athletic trainers have learned of the advances in what we know about sports athletes and hydration. In the elite Olympic class athlete, being in a state of even minimal dehydration will very significantly decrease performance.

Way too many deaths and trips to the hospital because guys wanted to "tough it out" and not take a drink of water.

We're all VERY impressed you made it to the water hose first.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest
Spoken like a true old fart. Some athletic programs have refused to recognize the dangers of dehydration and heat exhaustion. They will cite how the lack of water makes the players tougher and how they have never had trouble with heat exhaustion before. These are simply silly statements which quite honestly put the players at a significant health risk. Fortunately, many coaches and athletic trainers have learned of the advances in what we know about sports athletes and hydration. In the elite Olympic class athlete, being in a state of even minimal dehydration will very significantly decrease performance.

Way too many deaths and trips to the hospital because guys wanted to "tough it out" and not take a drink of water.

We're all VERY impressed you made it to the water hose first.

Also spoken like a true '79 football player from U-E. We're all also VERY impressed that you went 8-0 and played nobody and claim yourselves to be the greatest NY football team of all time when in fact you weren't even the best U-E team of all time, over teams who were 10-0 and 11-0 before the state playoffs started. You know, those playoffs that didn't exist back then, which allowed you to play the likes of SV, Binghamton North, which was a tenth the size of U-E, and other weak, smaller schools.

Guest Guest
Ok Bing 85 can be debateable over UE 79, but to include Bing 91 over UE 79? UE 79 has the most scored points and the least allowed... that isn't good enough? UE 89 ahead of Bing 91 without question. 1. UE 79 1a. Bing 85 3. UE 89 4. Vestal 75

UE 89 over 91 BHS? Give me a break. UE 89 was a good HS team with good HS players, but did they produce a single Div I player? Bing '91 sent 3 guys to Div I programs.... Buffalo, North Texas and Delaware. Bing '91 was 11-0 vs UE was 9-0. I think BHS 91 was better than BHS 85.

Guest Guest
Bing '91 sent 3 guys to Div I programs....

A whole 3 guys? To D1 programs? # different players? 3???

We have Class A and B schools doing that in this Section every few years. And you are bragging about 3?

Guest Guest
What a stupid post. First of all Neil Kerr is an idiot. He also thought Westmoreland was 5 TDs better than Groton this year and look how that turned out. Of course U-E looks good when they're beating up the sisters of the poor. And so what if the poster didn't go to school at U-E? You basically just admitted that your biased. So your "Tiger Pride" is letting you decide who's better? That's got to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard, and you completely just said you believe U-E '79 was better because you went there and have Tiger Pride. What does that prove? Other than that you're an idiot. I agree that U-E '79 couldn't hang with the teams of today but it's a completely different era so who cares it's impossible to compare. And to be able to say "U-E would have whooped anyone then" is completely stupid because you have ZERO clue what other talent was out there back then. You saw a bunch of average local teams get pounded on by a good school and that makes them the best team in the state that year? The best team in the state ever? How dumb, unintelligent, and ignorant.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now THAT is funny stuff!!!

Guest Guest
UE 89 over 91 BHS? Give me a break. UE 89 was a good HS team with good HS players, but did they produce a single Div I player? Bing '91 sent 3 guys to Div I programs.... Buffalo, North Texas and Delaware. Bing '91 was 11-0 vs UE was 9-0. I think BHS 91 was better than BHS 85.

UE 89 was 11-0 and beat up on Monroe Woodbury 56-13 who was section 9's best team. THey also beat up on Kingston who finsihed with just two losses and a very good Corning East team. UE 89 had numerous players go onto play college football.

Guest Guest
UE 89 was 11-0 and beat up on Monroe Woodbury 56-13 who was section 9's best team. THey also beat up on Kingston who finsihed with just two losses and a very good Corning East team. UE 89 had numerous players go onto play college football.

Like I said a bunch of good HS players that make up a good HS football team. Not a 1 Div I player was produced from this "#3 all time time" as some other clown tried to point out.

Outside of this the Bing 08 team would have blown out both Bing 91, Bing 85 and UE 89.

Guest Guest
A whole 3 guys? To D1 programs? # different players? 3???

We have Class A and B schools doing that in this Section every few years. And you are bragging about 3?

Really? Name 1 Class A or Class B schools that went undeafeated and produced 3 Div I players all from the SAME team.

Guest Hammy

You Binghamton people crack me up. You can't have it both ways. You argue that 91 BHS had more D1 players then U.E. 89 but don't take D1 players into account when the greatest team of all time U.E. 79 had 10 D1 players.

Guest Guest
You Binghamton people crack me up. You can't have it both ways. You argue that 91 BHS had more D1 players then U.E. 89 but don't take D1 players into account when the greatest team of all time U.E. 79 had 10 D1 players.

You point on 10 Div I players is valid. That surely is impressive, however didn't they wear leather helments with a single bar faceback in 79?

Guest Guest
Really? Name 1 Class A or Class B schools that went undeafeated and produced 3 Div I players all from the SAME team.

Oh let's see.

2004 Maine-Endwell, who was nearly Class B sized had at least three, 2004 Class B Forks had FIVE, three of which were juniors that season so 2005 Forks logically had at least three. 2005 Sidney (12-1 but state champs in Class C), had three and maybe four (not sure if Zurn went D1 "AA"), I am not certain but I think 2007 Walton had three. Might be wrong on that one. Need I go on?

Include all-league or all-state football players from those teams who went D1 in baseball, wrestling or lacrosse and I can add a lot more.

Guest Guest
Oh let's see.

2004 Maine-Endwell, who was nearly Class B sized had at least three, 2004 Class B Forks had FIVE, three of which were juniors that season so 2005 Forks logically had at least three. 2005 Sidney (12-1 but state champs in Class C), had three and maybe four (not sure if Zurn went D1 "AA"), I am not certain but I think 2007 Walton had three. Might be wrong on that one. Need I go on?

Include all-league or all-state football players from those teams who went D1 in baseball, wrestling or lacrosse and I can add a lot more.

Curious what Div schools did the 04 ME and 05 forks and Sydney teams produce?

Guest Guest
Curious what Div schools did the 04 ME and 05 forks and Sydney teams produce?

Same quality as the bragging '91 Binghamton post schools (Buffalo, North Texas and Delaware)

04/05 Forks kids went to Colgate, Cornell (04 Forks, not 05) , Albany, Maryland

04 M-E kids to Colgate(?), Albany, Cornell

05 Sidney to Buffalo, out of state D1 AA I cannot recall the school, Colgate, Cornell. Pat Simmonds may be NFL bound soon.

Guest Guest
Same quality as the bragging '91 Binghamton post schools (Buffalo, North Texas and Delaware)

04/05 Forks kids went to Colgate, Cornell (04 Forks, not 05) , Albany, Maryland

04 M-E kids to Colgate(?), Albany, Cornell

05 Sidney to Buffalo, out of state D1 AA I cannot recall the school, Colgate, Cornell. Pat Simmonds may be NFL bound soon.

You need to get your head examined. Colgate (Patriot League) and Cornell (Ivy League) are bush league Div I football. They don't even give scholarships. Granted the academics are more worth mentioning here, but you are comparing apples to oranges from a football quality standpoint. I'm not saying the players from the 91 team went to notch Div I programs, however they are far above the teams you mention here with the exception of Maryland.

Guest Guest
You need to get your head examined. Colgate (Patriot League) and Cornell (Ivy League) are bush league Div I football. They don't even give scholarships. Granted the academics are more worth mentioning here, but you are comparing apples to oranges from a football quality standpoint. I'm not saying the players from the 91 team went to notch Div I programs, however they are far above the teams you mention here with the exception of Maryland.

Head examined? Far above? Delaware? Really? They are FAR above?

Buffalo? Far above? Above I will admit, but not far.

I mentioned them because in fact these kids DID go to D1, even though a lower level, and other threads here from U-E and Binghamton faithful pounding their chests about "our D1 players" have mentioned the very same schools in their bravado. You can't have it both ways, using the colleges to talk up your school and then the exact same colleges to knock down another school's claims.

Of course the bigger sized high school schools will put more into these D1 programs and all levels of college football, but the smaller schools do place some there too. Just not in the same quantities. Sometimes, those once-every-25 year GREAT teams, especially from always tough programs like Forks, Walton, END will have a squad or two with 3 to 5 kids that make it to some level of D1.

Guest Guest
Buffalo? Far above? Above I will admit, but not far.

And I am referring to the fact that it was early 90s Buffalo that the Binghamton player went to, and Buffalo was a doormat back then. (have been most of THIS decade too). So playing for Buffalo in 92-95 was no more impressive than Cornell, or Colgate present day. Still impressive though. To me playing D1 football at any level is impressive for a kid from around here. YOu can't be a sloch and do that, you have to be decent good at the game.

Also spoken like a true '79 football player from U-E. We're all also VERY impressed that you went 8-0 and played nobody and claim yourselves to be the greatest NY football team of all time when in fact you weren't even the best U-E team of all time, over teams who were 10-0 and 11-0 before the state playoffs started. You know, those playoffs that didn't exist back then, which allowed you to play the likes of SV, Binghamton North, which was a tenth the size of U-E, and other weak, smaller schools.

Here are the colleges attending and awards recieved for the '79 team players. There were a couple of All-Americans in there but "this old fart" can't remember. Just facts with no fabrication.

Ed Koban QB Syracuse Coaches All STAC Press All STAC All State All CNY

Tim Marsh RB Colgate Coaches All STAC Press All STAC All State All CNY

Carl Norris RB ? Coaches All STAC

Gene Bucci SE, S Colgate Coaches All STAC All State

Gary Beddoe WB Rutgers Coaches All STAC All State

Chuck Wesko Center Temple Coaches All STAC All CNY

Eric Pedley OG U of Buffalo Coaches All STAC Press All STAC All State

Bill Doolittle OG U of Buffalo Coaches All STAC

Joe Amorese OT U of Buffalo Coaches All STAC

David Hess OT U of Buffalo Coaches All STAC Press All STAC All State All CNY

Scott Denmon TE LeMoyne, BB

Larry Angeilne NG Mansfield State Coaches All STAC Press All STAC All State All CNY

Ken Tatko DT Wake Forest Press All STAC All State All CNY

Steve Villanti DT Syracuse Coaches All STAC Press All STAC All State All CNY

Armond Gerge DE/LB Mansfield State Coaches All STAC Press All STAC

Rick Owen DE/LB ?

Scott Depofi LB Buffalo State Coaches All STAC

Randy Strain LB Brockport State Coaches All STAC

Jim Newfrock DB U of Deleware Coaches All STAC

Nick Pichianno DB ?

Vince Panniccia LB Mansfield State Coaches All STAC

Gene Bucci S Colgate Coaches All STAC Press All STAC All CNY

We were 9-0 and did not play SV. As for our schedule attached is a news article illustrating the difficulty Coach Angeline had in trying to get out-of-conference games scheduled.post-5769-1271015583_thumb.jpg

Guest Guest
We were 9-0 and did not play SV. As for our schedule attached is a news article illustrating the difficulty Coach Angeline had in trying to get out-of-conference games scheduled.

Nice article, but it plays it up as though potential opponents were afraid to schedule U-E in 78 and 79 or something, which I doubt. It's not like U-E was blowing the doors out of everyone in the seasons prior to that. A very good 7-0-1 in 74, followed by 7-2, 8-1, 6-2-1 from 75-77. The 150 schools they sent letters to just didn't have the open date or whatever. Even today schools have trouble filling open dates for next fall.

Great team in 1979, I saw with my two own eyes how great they were, but let's not make it out that schools were afraid to schedule them 700 days before that season even rolled around. Fox always had and still has a habit of over dramatizing things.

Love how you have a very good scrap book on your glory season IM. Makes for good and fun reads :)

Guest Guest
Here are the colleges attending and awards recieved for the '79 team players. There were a couple of All-Americans in there but "this old fart" can't remember. Just facts with no fabrication.

Ed Koban QB Syracuse Coaches All STAC Press All STAC All State All CNY

Tim Marsh RB Colgate Coaches All STAC Press All STAC All State All CNY

Carl Norris RB ? Coaches All STAC

Gene Bucci SE, S Colgate Coaches All STAC All State

Gary Beddoe WB Rutgers Coaches All STAC All State

Chuck Wesko Center Temple Coaches All STAC All CNY

Eric Pedley OG U of Buffalo Coaches All STAC Press All STAC All State

Bill Doolittle OG U of Buffalo Coaches All STAC

Joe Amorese OT U of Buffalo Coaches All STAC

David Hess OT U of Buffalo Coaches All STAC Press All STAC All State All CNY

Scott Denmon TE LeMoyne, BB

Larry Angeilne NG Mansfield State Coaches All STAC Press All STAC All State All CNY

Ken Tatko DT Wake Forest Press All STAC All State All CNY

Steve Villanti DT Syracuse Coaches All STAC Press All STAC All State All CNY

Armond Gerge DE/LB Mansfield State Coaches All STAC Press All STAC

Rick Owen DE/LB ?

Scott Depofi LB Buffalo State Coaches All STAC

Randy Strain LB Brockport State Coaches All STAC

Jim Newfrock DB U of Deleware Coaches All STAC

Nick Pichianno DB ?

Vince Panniccia LB Mansfield State Coaches All STAC

Gene Bucci S Colgate Coaches All STAC Press All STAC All CNY

We were 9-0 and did not play SV. As for our schedule attached is a news article illustrating the difficulty Coach Angeline had in trying to get out-of-conference games scheduled.post-5769-1271015583_thumb.jpg

Thank you for posting this. WOW. What a list of players. This is probably the greatest lineup of any team in New York State History.

Nobody wanted any part of some of Angelines teams back in the day. Lets see the big mouths from Binghamton match that lineup with names of players, whether they made All State, and where they went to college.

Guest Guest
Thank you for posting this. WOW. What a list of players. This is probably the greatest lineup of any team in New York State History.

Nobody wanted any part of some of Angelines teams back in the day. Lets see the big mouths from Binghamton match that lineup with names of players, whether they made All State, and where they went to college.

Binghamton can't match it- but they are still trying to debate. The debate is over and they keep on bringing up the Berwick victory as the reason for their (best ever in broome) Uh- maybe Berwick was a little overrated? PA high school football hype? jsut maybe ue 79 would have blown out berwick 79? I would say yes. Ithaca 79 would have probably beaten Berwick 79 so the Berwick comparison is not an issue. Maybe Berwick had extrememly weak competition? Its what the talent is on the field and Ue was far superior than bing 85-

Guest Guest

"Its what the talent is on the field and Ue was far superior than bing 85"

Talent ???

I might give UE the edge in size and possibly even depth, but to claim that UE 79 had more TALENT is just foolish.

Even if Berwick was having a down year, they were twice as good as any team UE faced that year. Couple that with the way BHS "toyed" with UE that year and I just don't see it ...

Binghamton wins easilly - by 2-3 touchdowns.

Sorry - totally impartial - saw both teams play.

That's for playing - we have some lovely parting gifts for you ...

What is John Fox up to these days? I'd love to get his contact information and get his take on the '79 UE vs. '85 BHS debate.

I'm going to bump my own post. Anybody out there have John Fox's contact information? I'm going to try to contact him and get his take on this whole thing. Our local paper is a joke now, but they should do a story on these 2 great teams and get interviews from coaches, players, fans, etc... I think that would make for a great story. I'm also thinking of some other sports reporters who would have been around from that time. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Guest Guest
I'm going to bump my own post. Anybody out there have John Fox's contact information?

They have this brand new 21st century thing called the phone book. I just checked and he's in it! Now there's an elderly man keeping up with technology!

Guest Dynasty 80
Binghamton can't match it- but they are still trying to debate. The debate is over and they keep on bringing up the Berwick victory as the reason for their (best ever in broome) Uh- maybe Berwick was a little overrated? PA high school football hype? jsut maybe ue 79 would have blown out berwick 79? I would say yes. Ithaca 79 would have probably beaten Berwick 79 so the Berwick comparison is not an issue. Maybe Berwick had extrememly weak competition? Its what the talent is on the field and Ue was far superior than bing 85-

AGAIN AND AGAIN.....HOW MANY PLAYERS ACTUALLY STARTED FROM UE AT THOSE COLLEGES, NOT ONLY THAT BUT WE ARE TALKING HIGHSCHOOL NOT COLLEGE.

IF MY MEMORY SERVES ME CORRECTLY KOBAN WAS ONLY A PARTIAL STARTER ON SPECIAL TEAMS. SU 4 YEARS AND NOT ONE START...GO FIGURE!

AND AGAIN UE 79, WHO DID YOU GUYS PLAY.....NO ONE. LOCAL TEAMS THAT WERE NOT THAT GOOD.

it wasn't just Berwick that they played that was a National Champion, Mt Saint Joes. in Vermont a top ranked school in that State. Both UE and EFA were ranking that year as well

SO here is the count

BHS 24 Berwick 14 (National Champ) unbeated in five years prior, hardy over rated!!!

BHS 41 Mt Saint.14 (ranked 5th in their state)

BHS 42 UE 3 (Ranked 17th that year)

BHS 24 EFA 14 ( Ranked 19? that year)

Angeline himself had once quoted that BHS was so good that could match up with many Division 3 schools, LOOK it UP or ask him.

Archived