Best boys soccer players ever from Section IV

Guest Guest-hal

What about the State Championship Team from Maine-Endwell 1996 I beleive? They set records that year. They had some good talent. Tony Stenta, Tom Sienko, Brian Harding GK, Michael Bohnenberger....all solid players

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest big dog

Had both of them on my big list from the guys I knew in the 80's to today, they easily make any top all time list from the area. Doherty was a bit before my time but I knew of him and Price pretty well. Do you know any other players from the Vestal/Ithaca teams of that era. I have been told both teams were loaded with talent from 77-82 or so.

Ken Hasigawa from ME, Bill Maslar from JC, Nate Giorgio from Vestal, Kim Chang (I think) from Ithaca during the late 70's and early 80's.

Guest juan carlos

Decent lists so far. Aragon from Binghamton and Orest from Owego had decent professional careers. Riley never really panned out very well in the pros. Dani Brkoric is in the English 3rd division league and not doing much. I had heard that Van Gorder decided not to go pro and instead became an Air Force fighter pilot after college and now works at Lockheed Martin Skunk Works. Heard Mike Gianetti went to the Naval Academy and then went into the Marines and eventually became a Navy SEAL. Hudock is a local area coach. Aragon now coaches at Herkimer. I think Hawley is a physical therapist in the Binghamton area???

You're a towel

Had both of them on my big list from the guys I knew in the 80's to today, they easily make any top all time list from the area. Doherty was a bit before my time but I knew of him and Price pretty well. Do you know any other players from the Vestal/Ithaca teams of that era. I have been told both teams were loaded with talent from 77-82 or so.

Didn't Vestal have two brothers that dominated the league from the late nineties to the early 2000's? Can't think of their names but one was an All-American and played for Herkimer Comm. Co.

Didn't Vestal have two brothers that dominated the league from the late nineties to the early 2000's? Can't think of their names but one was an All-American and played for Herkimer Comm. Co.

You are thinking of the Skonecki brothers Miek and Brendan I think, they were good but like many other good players I don't believe they get into this list.

As for Tyree and Riley being better than Skinner and Dinkins not a chance and thats more a statement on physical ability than anything else. Riley is the best player out of them hands down, he has more skill and ability than the other three but Dinkins was possibly the best pure athlete on a local soccer field ever. Skinner and Tyree were pretty much even which would make the wild card Dinkins ability. He was recruited for D1 Track and Basketball, was HS All-American in soccer because he was the only thing SV had and that team won a Sectional title on his back. If he only could have kept his head on straight he would probably be atop the list.

Guest Golden Bear

You are thinking of the Skonecki brothers Miek and Brendan I think, they were good but like many other good players I don't believe they get into this list.

As for Tyree and Riley being better than Skinner and Dinkins not a chance and thats more a statement on physical ability than anything else. Riley is the best player out of them hands down, he has more skill and ability than the other three but Dinkins was possibly the best pure athlete on a local soccer field ever. Skinner and Tyree were pretty much even which would make the wild card Dinkins ability. He was recruited for D1 Track and Basketball, was HS All-American in soccer because he was the only thing SV had and that team won a Sectional title on his back. If he only could have kept his head on straight he would probably be atop the list.

i know Brendan S. made the All-Patriot league his Junior and senior season and had an offer with Hershey but chose to continue in graduate school. Not too bad! I don't know what his brother did after HCC..,but was good enough to make All-American in JUCO and that he tied Davis' all-time goal record at Herkimer. That's not to shabby.

Guest astro turf

i know Brendan S. made the All-Patriot league his Junior and senior season and had an offer with Hershey but chose to continue in graduate school. Not too bad! I don't know what his brother did after HCC..,but was good enough to make All-American in JUCO and that he tied Davis' all-time goal record at Herkimer. That's not to shabby.

They both definitely belong in the top 10.., easily. I never played against a guy that could score at will as Mike S. can. Brendon had a shot with the pros and you don't put him in as one of the best? That's the trouble with these sports threads-no one has any facts to back their statem't.

Guest Eli Manning

some of the best in SV's history are dinkins, steven rathbun and devon arnold.

Rob Wark is the best player from SV ever. I'd say his brother Erich is 2nd.

The Press & Sun Bulletin is a terrible paper and does not do a good job following local area athletes after High School, into college and then perhaps in the pro ranks. Thumbs down to the Press & Sun Bulletin....

It's hard enough for them to cover the local teams and athletes as it is with the smaller staffs they have to work with compared to yesterdecades. Now you expect them to cover the students when they travel all over the USA? How do you propose they keep track other than the big name ones? Do you expect them to scour college websites for news and stats? Other newspaper articles online looking for names that might be familiar to them?

They DO mention local athletes afar at times. Often it's when someone tips them off. I know because I've done that myself.

Give them a break. They are not a large newspaper.

I went to m-e and we went to the finals and semis back to back. Players like stenta, mccormick, sienko...etc. I think mccormick was all-american. I played with these guys, they dominated the late 90's.

i played in the late 90's... what about tony stenta, todd mccormick, and jake kinne. those guys went back to back in the states.

McCormick should get the most consideration out of the group, he was a rock in the back for them and had a great college career at Ithaca. Stenta was an All-SUNY player at Cortland after his HS days the only reason he didn't go farther was size, probably one of the best true center mid players this area has seen. Kinne shouldn't even be mentioned, he couldn't start at BCC enough said.

Stenta? I hate to break it to you, but there have been many better center midfielders from Sect 4 than him. I'm sure he was a solid player in his day and not trying to disrepect anyone, but the thing is there were great players in the 70's, 80's, 90's and 00's and they were much more accomplished. Christ, I could name 4 players who were better center mids than Stenta from M-E alone: John Lindsay, Jim Strabo, Greg Luberecki (moved to sweeper his jr and sr year) and Sean VanGorder (moved to sweeper his jr and sr year). I played in the late 70's and still follow HS soccer closely.

Stenta? I hate to break it to you, but there have been many better center midfielders from Sect 4 than him. I'm sure he was a solid player in his day and not trying to disrepect anyone, but the thing is there were great players in the 70's, 80's, 90's and 00's and they were much more accomplished. Christ, I could name 4 players who were better center mids than Stenta from M-E alone: John Lindsay, Jim Strabo, Greg Luberecki (moved to sweeper his jr and sr year) and Sean VanGorder (moved to sweeper his jr and sr year). I played in the late 70's and still follow HS soccer closely.

Sorry I played with Luberecki and Strabo, they were great players as well but I'd put Tony in the middle over either of them. VanGorder is above Tony, he was the real deal on the field, his talent was hidden a bit on defense I always loved seeing him run the midfield.

Luberecki and VanGorder had a long throw-in. They could reach the far-post with their throw-in. Kevin Hawley and Zsolt ? (exchange student from Spain) had many goals from VanGorders long throw-in. It was like a corner kick, what a weapon.

Please Tyree could dribble circles around Dinkins. Dinkins lacked ball skills, and the ability to play with a team. Tyree was an impact player on a very good UE team as a freshman.

[/quote

Maine-Endwell's only state championship came when stenta played, and they went back to the state semis the next season. I've never seen any of these other players you are mentioning, but when you put accomplishments on the field you have to include stenta and mccormick. I played with these guys and they not only had skill, but they were winners. Stenta made ordinary players look good, and I know I was one of them. that's all i am saying.

• 3 weeks later...

How about the '92 U-E team? that lost in overtime in the state finals.

and :

Nate Economou

Adam Chavez

Justin Leskow

Chris Stashtco?

Jason Robinson

Aaron Zandy

Andrew Trosi

Mike Rood?

and :

Nate Economou

Adam Chavez

Justin Leskow

Chris Stashtco?

Jason Robinson

Aaron Zandy

Andrew Trosi

Mike Rood?

Thats to funny

and :

Nate Economou

Adam Chavez

Justin Leskow

Chris Stashtco?

Jason Robinson

Aaron Zandy

Andrew Trosi

Mike Rood?

No UE boys team ever made it to the state finals

Archived