Best boys soccer players ever from Section IV

Guest Guest-hal

No UE boys team ever made it to the state finals

sorry it was '93 i believe. at least the final four. they lost 1-0 to shen and i know because my guidance consular played and has talked about it.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No UE boys team ever made it to the state finals

http://www.uetigers.stier.org/sports/soccer/boys/1993/UESOC1993.html

"The 1993 UE Boys Varsity Soccer Team enjoyed the most successful and exciting seasson in UE history. Finishing with a record of 22-2, they managed to capture the Division I title, STAC Championship, Section IV Championship and continue through the State playoffs to the State Championship game in Buffalo. "

It is too hard to compare players from different generations. Each decade had a handful of players that stood above the rest. All those could be called the best of their decade. Those with particular knowledge on each decade can speak up.

Guest Donovan

All time greatest from Section 4 are listed below....perhaps add 2-3 outstanding players from the past 10 years to this list

GK- Stenta CV/BU; Cervantes Vest/Clemson; Tronkowski ME/Clarkson; Manning UE/Plattsburgh

Def- Pepe Aragon Bing/Herk/Bowling Green; Abi Chavez UE/BU; Chris Riley UE/Herk/Wright St; Mike Dougherty Vest/Colgate; Joe Vrablic Vest/BU; Pat Skinner SV/BU; Jim Konuito Bing/Plattsburgh SUNYAC POY; Brent Maybee Vest/Herk/Clarkson; Justin Leskow UE/BU;

Mids- Mike Austin Oneonta/WVU; Sean Van Gorder ME/Rochester; Jay Robinson UE/Herk/WVU; Kevin Sax Vest/Notre Dame; Pat Price Vest/Cornell; Apia Apawa Ithaca/Oneonta; Jon Phoumonny EFA/StBona; Don Robbins Vest/Colgate; Nate Horton UE/Herk/E Carolina; Tommy Moon ME/BU; Aaron Zandy UE/StBona/UMass; Scott DePersis JC/LeMoyne/Lynn; Eric Riddleberger Owe/Clemson;

Attack- Andy Davis Bing/Herk/Evansville; Orest Grechka Owe/Hartwick; Matt Tanzini Vest/Herk/WVU; Will McCarthy Oneonta/Hartwick; Ed Opkihru Vest/Buffalo; Mike Gianetti Vest/USMA; Teddy Hudock UE/Buffalo; Dani Brkovic JC/???; Jay Demtrak Bing/Ves/BU; Kevin Hawley ME/???; Jaret Dinkins SV/???;

All time greatest from Section 4 are listed below....perhaps add 2-3 outstanding players from the past 10 years to this list

GK- Stenta CV/BU; Cervantes Vest/Clemson; Tronkowski ME/Clarkson; Manning UE/Plattsburgh

Def- Pepe Aragon Bing/Herk/Bowling Green; Abi Chavez UE/BU; Chris Riley UE/Herk/Wright St; Mike Dougherty Vest/Colgate; Joe Vrablic Vest/BU; Pat Skinner SV/BU; Jim Konuito Bing/Plattsburgh SUNYAC POY; Brent Maybee Vest/Herk/Clarkson; Justin Leskow UE/BU;

Mids- Mike Austin Oneonta/WVU; Sean Van Gorder ME/Rochester; Jay Robinson UE/Herk/WVU; Kevin Sax Vest/Notre Dame; Pat Price Vest/Cornell; Apia Apawa Ithaca/Oneonta; Jon Phoumonny EFA/StBona; Don Robbins Vest/Colgate; Nate Horton UE/Herk/E Carolina; Tommy Moon ME/BU; Aaron Zandy UE/StBona/UMass; Scott DePersis JC/LeMoyne/Lynn; Eric Riddleberger Owe/Clemson;

Attack- Andy Davis Bing/Herk/Evansville; Orest Grechka Owe/Hartwick; Matt Tanzini Vest/Herk/WVU; Will McCarthy Oneonta/Hartwick; Ed Opkihru Vest/Buffalo; Mike Gianetti Vest/USMA; Teddy Hudock UE/Buffalo; Dani Brkovic JC/???; Jay Demtrak Bing/Ves/BU; Kevin Hawley ME/???; Jaret Dinkins SV/???;

You've named some great players but definitely not all time best. There are so many names left out and some that are on the list that are more of a joke. Manning from UE is not even in the top 3 or 4 to ever graduate from U-E. Jaret Dinkins top forward? I think that the previous post about all different generations had it correct.

You've named some great players but definitely not all time best. There are so many names left out and some that are on the list that are more of a joke. Manning from UE is not even in the top 3 or 4 to ever graduate from U-E. Jaret Dinkins top forward? I think that the previous post about all different generations had it correct.

Agreed, i'm the most familiar with STAC West and I can tell you these players should be on that list without a doubt:

F - Johnny Phoummany (EFA/St. Bonaventure)

-100+ career high school goals

-earned Atlantic 10 freshman of the year honors

-ODP National Pool)

GK - Joel Luther (EFA/U of Michigan)

First Manning may not be one of the top 4 from UE due to Chavez, Riley, Robinson, Horton, etc being better but that speaks to UE's depth not his weakness. He led a college team to the NCAA semis as their only keeper all year. In that season he set his schools all time goals against and saves records for a season. He is easily the best GK UE ever had no question about it. Keepers aren't the same as field players and he is in the conversation of the best GKs ever from this area.

Joel Luther who was mentioned in another post probably deserves to get a mention but Cervantes from Vestal was the same year and he's the one who got all the honors during their time in school. Michigan is impressive but it didn't have Varsity Soccer until 2000, prior to that the were a club team on campus so he went there and played but it wasn't even an official team.

Dinkins was an All-American end of statement, you may not have liked his game but I watched him dominate like very few players are capable of. 6'4", strong, fast and skilled enough to threaten any team at any time. UE had Chavez and Riley on defense against him and he still got 2 goals, he was possibly the most physically gifted player on that list. Yes his soccer skills may not have been top 10 but strikers don't always have to be to excel. I don't think he is top 10 all time but he was worth a mention on the list

An excellent post...

Looking into the future, two names have to be mentioned; however, I acknowledge that this is mearly speculation and these talents could easily fall by the wayside if they become complacent:

Mike Rood (SV - current 10th grader) - The kid is a legit talent. I remember watching him vs. EFA in the 2008 STAC Final when he was an 8th grader!! Although EFA won that match, Rood was dominant even then in the middle of the pitch. He's a bigger kid as a younger player with a deft touch on the ball.

Alex Varkatzas (EFA - current 10th grader) - He's already bigger than most players on the field as a sophomore. He scored 22 goals this season to LEAD STAC!! The most impressive part about it is that he didn't do it against the weak East/Central divisions as most 20+ goal scorers do. He did it against AA schools in the Metro/West. He now has 29 goals through his first two complete varsity season against the best competition in STAC.

Both play a very high level of Olympic Development Program as well...

Dani Brkovic has just signed with the Bosnia national team. I think that's the highest level any former STAC player (Johnson City) has made

Lets get realistic please..first you don't sign with a national team, you are called up to the national pool/camp and the team is selected from there. In the past three months Dani has been in England still playing at the lowest levels, not even a key player on his club squad. Here's 2 links to get you into reality

Bosnia/Herz U21 Team for Euro 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnia_and_Herzegovina_national_under-21_football_team

Bosnia/Herz Mens Team

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnia_and_Herzegovina_national_football_team

All the players on the full national squad are players on large clubs in major leagues, not back ups from the English 3rd or Regional Divison. Dani is no where near that status so please stop the BS

Dani Brkovic has just signed with the Bosnia national team. I think that's the highest level any former STAC player (Johnson City) has made

The worst part is, Dani is a good player and doing nice things across seas. It's idiots like this guy that give him a bad name.

None of those players listed were a joke! Where did you get that from? All the players listed were All-Americans, All-State and a few played on the ODP NYS and Eastern regional team.

You must be some recent HS grad who only thinks the past decade or so has had any great players from Sect 4.

Olympic Development Program National Team and Eastern regional pool players from Section IV were Pat Price from Vestal (mid 80s), Sean Van Gorder from M-E (late 80s/early 90s) and Johnny Phoummany from JC (late 90s).

Sasha Malinich. Played at CV in the early 80's. Crappy high school squad but he went to play at Florida International and internationally. Great striker. Not sure where he is nowadays but he was talented.

Olympic Development Program National Team and Eastern regional pool players from Section IV were Pat Price from Vestal (mid 80s), Sean Van Gorder from M-E (late 80s/early 90s) and Johnny Phoummany from JC (late 90s).

What does ODP have to do with anything, EFA has a regional player in Alex V. and he sure isnt one of the greatest ever and there are several region 1 players currently playing.

Alex whoever from EFA is just a 10th grader...talk to us after his career is over to see how well he does. Plus he's not a National team Pool player and Price, VanGorder and Phoummany all were in addition all three were All-Americans in high school and in college, so don't tell us Alex whoever is even close to them....that's a joke.

Being a National team ODP player in HS means everything. You obviously have no idea of what time takes to be a great player, and you probably think HS ball is like the World Cup.

The worst part is, Dani is a good player and doing nice things across seas. It's idiots like this guy that give him a bad name.

I'm not seeing anything bad in what was written...name another STAC player that is playing in the pros or for ANY National team

I'm not seeing anything bad in what was written...name another STAC player that is playing in the pros or for ANY National team

You missed the point, he is nt playing for any national squad, its people posting totally bogus info that makes things look bad.

As for him being the only kid playing pro Stenta still is, Chavez, Riley, Tanzini and many others have. He went overseas like Grechka for the same reason, they have EC/EU nationality passports so they can play there easier. A US citizen normally doesn't get that shot because we count as a special roster spot and they are very limited in most leagues.

Alex whoever from EFA is just a 10th grader...talk to us after his career is over to see how well he does. Plus he's not a National team Pool player and Price, VanGorder and Phoummany all were in addition all three were All-Americans in high school and in college, so don't tell us Alex whoever is even close to them....that's a joke.

Being a National team ODP player in HS means everything. You obviously have no idea of what time takes to be a great player, and you probably think HS ball is like the World Cup.

The post clearly said it's "speculation" and "they still have alot to prove".

Stupid is as stupid does!!! Read the post again stupid

You missed the point, he is nt playing for any national squad, its people posting totally bogus info that makes things look bad.

As for him being the only kid playing pro Stenta still is, Chavez, Riley, Tanzini and many others have. He went overseas like Grechka for the same reason, they have EC/EU nationality passports so they can play there easier. A US citizen normally doesn't get that shot because we count as a special roster spot and they are very limited in most leagues.

Sorry, but it's not bogus unless he lied to me. He was with the Ajax development team, and has just signed with the Bosnian team. Congrats to Dani.

Please. Alex's mom, please stop. Go to bed. Your kid is not as great as you want him too. Stupid is and dumbass that you are and always will be, does.

Fuzzynutter

Sorry, but it's not bogus unless he lied to me. He was with the Ajax development team, and has just signed with the Bosnian team. Congrats to Dani.

Again, there is nothing to "sign" to be on the national team. There is no contract, nothing. The only way to get into the national team pool is to be INVITED by the coach. Being that he's playing in England and the Bosnian National Team isn't even being called into camp for another couple months, it's impossible.

In closing, you're an idiot...

Again, there is nothing to "sign" to be on the national team. There is no contract, nothing. The only way to get into the national team pool is to be INVITED by the coach. Being that he's playing in England and the Bosnian National Team isn't even being called into camp for another couple months, it's impossible.

In closing, you're an idiot...

he's not playing in England, he's on break until Jan 3 and is in town with his family until then.

Archived