Teachers Snow Days Off ?

Guest guest

Well I heard that teachers get pens and pencils for free! That's BS! I have to pay for my pens and pencils! What makes them so special that they get writing utensils free of cost?? They should have to pay for them just like us common folks!

You need a new tax man, if you pay your taxes at all.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet this area continues to elect and re-elect Liberal Democrats. NYS has no one to blame but it's residents.

Exactly,

Reflective on the fact that people don't really want a change.

They like free lunches and enabling the learned helpless.

If I don't work I don't get paid . Why do I have to pay for someone else's vacation and time off by my taxes ? It's not right . NY has had countless political scandals . How many public employees work less than five days a week and still get paid for 5 days at our expense. This is wrong and they should not be able to accure paid time off . There should be no paid time off .

You have a crappy job.

When I was in HS I worked a factory job with no education required and got 2 paid days off the 1st year.

Every year I stayed I got an additional day to be capped at 7.

Many professional positions too like people at BAE and Lockheed just to name a few are burning the midnight oil and on weekends all while on a salary for a 5 day work week! OT isn't guaranteed.

True.

They are paid accordingly as well.

Guest Stating the Obvious

You have a crappy job.

When I was in HS I worked a factory job with no education required and got 2 paid days off the 1st year.

You sound like the quintessential "old man yelling at clouds." Don't begrudge others for the time they put in just because you didn't choose the same path. There are perks to jobs that others don't particularly like - that's life. I'm not too keen on lawyers who bill their clients for every little consultation, even if it's only a five-minute discussion, but guess what? That's a part of their job. I don't begrudge them or complain on a message board.

Should teachers show up and work on days of school cancellation due to snow. These days may be a good time for class preparation meetings etc. Can someone tell me what the official policy is regarding this. The rest of us actually go to work unless there is a state of emergency. Just curious.

sure...and the teachers can teach to empty classrooms..LOL! Perhaps jet liner pilots should shovel the runways or maybe even use flight simulators for as long as required flights would be so they remember how to fly. Maybe firefighters should go out every day and randomly spray the hose on a random building (when there is no fire) so they remember, too, how to spray the hose..and the list can go on, to be as ridiculous as your post.

Teachers are prepared and ready to teach each and every day. Snow day?...they go in and modify or carry over plans that were scheduled on a snow day.

Please consider using common sense before posting and consider this...if not teaching, (with every teacher required to get a master's degree and many have more than one) they could take your job and you would have more time to go on BC Voice and complain then about a former teacher taking your job and how bad off you are without any job.

Quit whining and become and teacher if you like. Then you too can have a "day off" on a snow day.

If you figure out minimum wage (babysitter's wage)x # of kids in classroom x 6.5 hours/day (unpaid lunch)x 180 days per year...they should make about $122,000. Most teachers don't even make half of that...and they have one of the most important jobs...and their job doesn't stop when they leave the school building. They do many hours of paperwork at home...so now we are talking time and a half for overtime....oh wait...they buy tons of school supplies for projects, artwork, etc....and yes, they are required to attend so many conferences/workshops a year which is not paid for by their school district and often takes place outside of school hours...then they attend concerts, plays, PTA meetings...wow! They aren't getting paid that much! Plus they have to be bright eyed and bushy tailed in order to teach, discipline and raise children. Now, a teacher chose this job...they wanted to make a difference...you didn't chose it...stop complaining.

Why don't you do exactly that,figure out how much one of those babysitters gets because that is closer to what a grade school teacher should be making. By the way most people don't get paid for lunch. Now there is the old I work at home for (insert as many hours as you wish) and I don't get paid for it.

I don't know how teaching got to be so far away from the workday norm. I don't know how it was allowed to get so expensive but it is and obviously has to be changed back.

Let me tell you a few things 1. With the number of hours a teacher works they wouldn't get a retirement in the real world even if the company had one to offer. 2. They would have to pay a percentage of their health insurance. 3. They wouldn't get any paid vacation or personal/sick days as contract workers.

Something has to be done. We are in the top 3 in cost per student and in the bottom half in results. Most states can educate a student for half or less than it cost NYS to.

You have a crappy job.

Please note that you didn't get the vacation if you were a part time worker. In other words if you worked only 180 days you would of not received any or a discounted amount of vacation..

sure...and the teachers can teach to empty classrooms..LOL! Perhaps jet liner pilots should shovel the runways or maybe even use flight simulators for as long as required flights would be so they remember how to fly. Maybe firefighters should go out every day and randomly spray the hose on a random building (when there is no fire) so they remember, too, how to spray the hose..and the list can go on, to be as ridiculous as your post.

Teachers are prepared and ready to teach each and every day. Snow day?...they go in and modify or carry over plans that were scheduled on a snow day.

Please consider using common sense before posting and consider this...if not teaching, (with every teacher required to get a master's degree and many have more than one) they could take your job and you would have more time to go on BC Voice and complain then about a former teacher taking your job and how bad off you are without any job.

Quit whining and become and teacher if you like. Then you too can have a "day off" on a snow day.

Very few teachers have a masters in any discipline that would matter to an employer. Most,if let go,couldn't find another job where they would be hired given their education.

Very few teachers have a masters in any discipline that would matter to an employer. Most,if let go,couldn't find another job where they would be hired given their education.

You sound like the quintessential "old man yelling at clouds." Don't begrudge others for the time they put in just because you didn't choose the same path. There are perks to jobs that others don't particularly like - that's life. I'm not too keen on lawyers who bill their clients for every little consultation, even if it's only a five-minute discussion, but guess what? That's a part of their job. I don't begrudge them or complain on a message board.

You can't read.

Try looking the quoted post over again, then reading my response a 2nd time.

People act like public employees are the ones with paid days off.

I pointed out the obvious.

is that so? Master's in Health, Social Sciences, Business Accounting, or PhD in Science perhaps would not matter to an employer?

Many that I graduated with have Master's in Accounting from highly very credible and some highly touted universities (and now teach). Accounting is not need by any employer? Of course, this is needed BY ALL EMPLOYERS! Can't do anything without keeping track of finances and paying the bills.

StudentsI graduted with all wanted to get out of the rat race of private sector and do something worthwhile, like teaching. A few had higher/middle management level jobs with compnay car and other "bells and whistles."

Are you not a beneficiary of attending public school system? Then perhaps you should appreciate what you were able to learn, haved used it to your advantage and stop complaining about all that teachers get (and earn) and move on? FYi - I, for one have and MBA in HR and Marketing and could work in any institution and a second master's degree...and your education consists of?

I've worked at three different places over the years. All allowed personal time off, paid sick leave and up to six weeks vacation. All but one gave every holiday off with pay, two paid double time and a half plus a comp day off if you worked on a holiday. Two paid time and a half for everything over eight hours a day, even if you didn't work a full week. All paid time and a half for Saturday and double time for Sunday. One gave a meal payment if you worked over two hours of overtime plus mileage if you were called into work or worked on weekends or holidays. Do I begrudge teachers their time off or care how much they make, not a bit, they have earned it.

I've worked at three different places over the years. All allowed personal time off, paid sick leave and up to six weeks vacation. All but one gave every holiday off with pay, two paid double time and a half plus a comp day off if you worked on a holiday. Two paid time and a half for everything over eight hours a day, even if you didn't work a full week. All paid time and a half for Saturday and double time for Sunday. One gave a meal payment if you worked over two hours of overtime plus mileage if you were called into work or worked on weekends or holidays. Do I begrudge teachers their time off or care how much they make, not a bit, they have earned it.

Sounds like either an excellant employer or one that needed to give the benefits to get and keep good workers.

And this relates to teachers in what way? They have much more than 6 weeks vacation,much more and you had to work a set amount of time to get yours. I don't think overtime pay is ever required for a teacher much less pay for a holiday or weekends now is it. So you worked over 40 hours a week and received a extra payment,worked Saturdays or Sundays and got extra,same with working a holiday...and because of this you don't begrudge a teacher anything?? Sounds like during your time in the workforce you had some pretty good benefits but nothing you said relates to teaching or teachers in the least.Name a few companies that still even give those benefits if you can.

If you figure out minimum wage (babysitter's wage)x # of kids in classroom x 6.5 hours/day (unpaid lunch)x 180 days per year...they should make about $122,000. Most teachers don't even make half of that...and they have one of the most important jobs...and their job doesn't stop when they leave the school building. They do many hours of paperwork at home...so now we are talking time and a half for overtime....oh wait...they buy tons of school supplies for projects, artwork, etc....and yes, they are required to attend so many conferences/workshops a year which is not paid for by their school district and often takes place outside of school hours...then they attend concerts, plays, PTA meetings...wow! They aren't getting paid that much! Plus they have to be bright eyed and bushy tailed in order to teach, discipline and raise children. Now, a teacher chose this job...they wanted to make a difference...you didn't chose it...stop complaining.

We all chose our profession...If you didnt want to work when there is snow...should have been a teacher. Should take it up with your employer on why he or she does not close when it snows a lot. If you don't like the answer you get, then quit your job, enroll back in school to get nessacary degree, pay $200 and take teacher certification exam, pass that, take another teacher certification exam, pass that, then enroll in graduate school so you can obtain your Master's if you dont already have it in an education background. Then show the skills to get the job and maintain it if any schools are hiring for your certification area. Last pray for snow so you won't have to work and then you click on BCVoice and defend why you aren't at work when it snows

is that so? Master's in Health, Social Sciences, Business Accounting, or PhD in Science perhaps would not matter to an employer?

Many that I graduated with have Master's in Accounting from highly very credible and some highly touted universities (and now teach). Accounting is not need by any employer? Of course, this is needed BY ALL EMPLOYERS! Can't do anything without keeping track of finances and paying the bills.

StudentsI graduted with all wanted to get out of the rat race of private sector and do something worthwhile, like teaching. A few had higher/middle management level jobs with compnay car and other "bells and whistles."

Are you not a beneficiary of attending public school system? Then perhaps you should appreciate what you were able to learn, haved used it to your advantage and stop complaining about all that teachers get (and earn) and move on? FYi - I, for one have and MBA in HR and Marketing and could work in any institution and a second master's degree...and your education consists of?

I agree that any of those teachers that have those credits you listed would be considered by most employers. What percentage of teacher do you think that would be? My guess is less than 2%.

and they gave you the same amount of vacation time that a full time employee received? Be honest now.

NO.

I recieved 2 days paid.

Full timers earn and carried theirs over year to year.

Simply put,

Teachers get paid days off like many jobs. The person I was responding to basically stated that "nobody gets paid days off except public employees".

And this relates to teachers in what way? They have much more than 6 weeks vacation,much more and you had to work a set amount of time to get yours. I don't think overtime pay is ever required for a teacher much less pay for a holiday or weekends now is it. So you worked over 40 hours a week and received a extra payment,worked Saturdays or Sundays and got extra,same with working a holiday...and because of this you don't begrudge a teacher anything?? Sounds like during your time in the workforce you had some pretty good benefits but nothing you said relates to teaching or teachers in the least.Name a few companies that still even give those benefits if you can.

Teachers also have four or five(sometimes more) years of college. They made the effort to better themselfs. How about you?

NO.

I recieved 2 days paid.

Full timers earn and carried theirs over year to year.

Simply put,

Teachers get paid days off like many jobs. The person I was responding to basically stated that "nobody gets paid days off except public employees".

You see the point I was trying to make. Now simply put, times have changed and the state and teacher unions are going to have to realize this. I know that it is tough to even consider giving up perks and benefits that you are used to but look at the difference between the two sets of workers now. With the teachers benefits are going to have to be brought more into line with the industry workers and payroll expenses are going to have to be cut. Teaching is getting back to the point where it was when the masters degree demand was implemented. Making a "special" masters did help to cut the amount of qualified teachers for a time but now the numbers are back up again to about half of where they were before. More importantly the state can pay anymore and the home owner can't either.

Teachers also have four or five(sometimes more) years of college. They made the effort to better themselfs. How about you?

What I do or you for that matter has nothing to do with what you said. You stated the overtime and what you were paid extra for as a reason that you don't begrudge teachers anything. What you said had nothing to do with the subject and was as far away from anything a teacher does as pretty much possible. It was like saying I'm a movie star and only work once a year for a few weeks and make millions of dollars so I don't begrudge teachers anything they get.

What I do or you for that matter has nothing to do with what you said. You stated the overtime and what you were paid extra for as a reason that you don't begrudge teachers anything. What you said had nothing to do with the subject and was as far away from anything a teacher does as pretty much possible. It was like saying I'm a movie star and only work once a year for a few weeks and make millions of dollars so I don't begrudge teachers anything they get.

Not making enough at Burger King?

Archived