Teachers Snow Days Off ?

Guest guest

I agree that any of those teachers that have those credits you listed would be considered by most employers. What percentage of teacher do you think that would be? My guess is less than 2%.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've worked at three different places over the years. All allowed personal time off, paid sick leave and up to six weeks vacation. All but one gave every holiday off with pay, two paid double time and a half plus a comp day off if you worked on a holiday. Two paid time and a half for everything over eight hours a day, even if you didn't work a full week. All paid time and a half for Saturday and double time for Sunday. One gave a meal payment if you worked over two hours of overtime plus mileage if you were called into work or worked on weekends or holidays. Do I begrudge teachers their time off or care how much they make, not a bit, they have earned it.

Are those companies still in business ? I doubt it if they did not cut those benefits . Private enterprise is one thing. The public sector forces taxation to pay for their employee excesses .

Not making enough at Burger King?

Good answer. Why is it that people say that to people that say anything against teachers or their system? Do you really think that someone with a job at BK would care about how much of their income goes to pay for the teachers that failed them?

that was just a few examples...I think you would find teachers in any area could work well for employers in said field of degree earned....a few other examples follow. So, I think you would find it pretty close to 100% of teachers who could work well in the private sector. Not all, but most teachers, choose to teach because they want to help kids learn and see the results. You must be able to do first before you can be an effective, long standing teacher, and be able to teach to students so they can transfer their knowledge to given situations in life.

To note, tenure does not guarantee employment if you are not a good, excellent teacher, it simply gives a teacher the right of due process before being discharged for no apparent reason. Teachers can and are removed for wrongdoing (see recent examples in SCC and JC Districts). If you are not a good teacher, you do not make tenure after 3 year probationary period and are let go just like in any other profession.

i.e. English teachers - writers, editors for newspapers, magazines

Technology teachers - building and trades areas, photography

Business Teachers - Accounting, Marketing, HR

Art Teachers - design, art for newsprint, digital design for video games, etc.

Psychologists - self explanatory.

Just a few examples that come to mind.

Ingenious response...or judging by your deeply thought out, rather lack thereof, let me say "dumb" so you can understand it. You must be one of the under-educated that hated school, couldn't hack going to college and got a job that was easy to come by. Just think, if you earned more education and were more attentive in school, perhaps you could post something with substance, that requires thought, and in an intelligent manner worthy of the time you wasted posting.

Are those companies still in business ? I doubt it if they did not cut those benefits . Private enterprise is one thing. The public sector forces taxation to pay for their employee excesses .

Actually all three are still in business. I retired at the age of 60 and receive pensions from two of them(plus SSI now). Do they all still have the same benefits, don't know, don't care. And exactly what excesses would you be referring to that teachers receive? I know a few teachers. They buy supplies and materials for their students who don't have them or who's parents are to cheap to buy them for their kids. One even prepays for one students lunch(without the students knowledge), all this and more comes out of their own pockets. What have you done recently for anyone? I'm betting nothing.

Not making enough at Burger King?

I respect all who can work and do a good job . I can see you are really instilling a positive work ethic in your students . Keep that up and their only hope is to be another detached teacher .

Actually all three are still in business. I retired at the age of 60 and receive pensions from two of them(plus SSI now). Do they all still have the same benefits, don't know, don't care. And exactly what excesses would you be referring to that teachers receive? I know a few teachers. They buy supplies and materials for their students who don't have them or who's parents are to cheap to buy them for their kids. One even prepays for one students lunch(without the students knowledge), all this and more comes out of their own pockets. What have you done recently for anyone? I'm betting nothing.

I don't think you are being truthful . IBM Endicott is no longer in business . That was replaced by EIT with layoffs and vastly reduced pay and benefits . Gone are Ozalid, GAF, Ansco, Singer-Link, GE, EJ, etc. But the education establishment continues to grow and get more expensive .

I will also say that you and the education establishment are extremely arrogant . Just read these holier than thou posts by them .

I don't think you are being truthful . IBM Endicott is no longer in business . That was replaced by EIT with layoffs and vastly reduced pay and benefits . Gone are Ozalid, GAF, Ansco, Singer-Link, GE, EJ, etc. But the education establishment continues to grow and get more expensive .

I will also say that you and the education establishment are extremely arrogant . Just read these holier than thou posts by them .

Where was it mentioned that I worked solely in the Binghamton area? I did however work at IBM(30 years) and I believe they are still in business. Also worked in Central NY and North Carolina. Never worked at the other employers you mention. But you're probably right, sending kids to school is to expensive, lets do away with education altogether and dumb down the kids. They'll be just like the rest of the population in 'Greater Binghamton'. As a footnote I should add the only education I have is a High School Diploma.

that was just a few examples...I think you would find teachers in any area could work well for employers in said field of degree earned....a few other examples follow. So, I think you would find it pretty close to 100% of teachers who could work well in the private sector. Not all, but most teachers, choose to teach because they want to help kids learn and see the results. You must be able to do first before you can be an effective, long standing teacher, and be able to teach to students so they can transfer their knowledge to given situations in life.

To note, tenure does not guarantee employment if you are not a good, excellent teacher, it simply gives a teacher the right of due process before being discharged for no apparent reason. Teachers can and are removed for wrongdoing (see recent examples in SCC and JC Districts). If you are not a good teacher, you do not make tenure after 3 year probationary period and are let go just like in any other profession.

i.e. English teachers - writers, editors for newspapers, magazines

Technology teachers - building and trades areas, photography

Business Teachers - Accounting, Marketing, HR

Art Teachers - design, art for newsprint, digital design for video games, etc.

Psychologists - self explanatory.

Just a few examples that come to mind.

English teachers - writers, editors for newspapers, magazines. Sure that field is hiring all the time and I hear that they are always looking for an ex English teacher. Great pay and benefits at the press I hear. I hardly doubt that they would be canning anyone they have working for them now to give a ex teacher a job though.

Technology teachers - building and trades areas, photography Maybe IF they had the ability.Having a degree does not give that to you.

Business Teachers - Accounting, Marketing, HR Very doubtful . Maybe accounting please also note that a starting 4 year degreed person in these areas pay starts at a lower rate than teaching.

Art Teachers - design, art for newsprint, digital design for video games, etc. Anyone that has the aptitude can do that an Art degree won't help you there.

Remember having the degree in something just gets the attention of the hiring company. The real work starts when you start your job. No job is like teaching where your job is to teach what you learned in school in school. You have to meet goals and if you don't your job is always in jeopardy. Raises and promotions are earned not given by time and grade. If you don't produce you won't last.

Again you show nothing. You don't tell what companies you're talking about but I can almost guarantee you that if you were working for them now you wouldn't be getting a pension from them. They also have cut back on their overtime payments almost across the board.I really don't care about the one or two teachers that do buy supplies or pay for a kids lunch. I care what it costs me out of my taxes on my and my families home.

Where was it mentioned that I worked solely in the Binghamton area? I did however work at IBM(30 years) and I believe they are still in business. Also worked in Central NY and North Carolina. Never worked at the other employers you mention. But you're probably right, sending kids to school is to expensive, lets do away with education altogether and dumb down the kids. They'll be just like the rest of the population in 'Greater Binghamton'. As a footnote I should add the only education I have is a High School Diploma.

Well pops IF you had of started at IBM even 15 years ago you wouldn't have that pension you're talking about,would you. However you believe that teachers deserve an even better pension and health benefits than you yourself are receiving. Why is that because of their long hours and education?? Well because of your formal education you would be one of the burger flipping workers that the teacher talk so much about.

Well pops IF you had of started at IBM even 15 years ago you wouldn't have that pension you're talking about,would you. However you believe that teachers deserve an even better pension and health benefits than you yourself are receiving. Why is that because of their long hours and education?? Well because of your formal education you would be one of the burger flipping workers that the teacher talk so much about.

So , so true . In this area now , he'd be the one being ridiculed by the new elites for flipping burgers .

This is 2011 . Not the economy of 1995 .

Here's new leadership...http://www.nctimes.com/news/national/article_b2cb7778-c527-55a8-9083-c90072c90e11.html

Sooner or later NYS is going to have to do the same thing. It will happen sooner if a tax cap is put into place because the retirement and insurance costs are going over the cap they want to put on taxes.We already know that the state is going to be over their budget this year and they did cut education last year. I think it was met with disbelief that the state actually did cut education aid last year.

Have a few questions, When did the teaching year grow to 187 days?

Yes most professions get vacation,some personal days and sick days. But they also work at least a 40 hour week and for most of the year.

You can expect them to work more and not get paid more. Check industry.

Please also check the profession jobs for the 10 hr day and the 5 day week too.

180 days of instruction with students and another 7 days when the students are not there (conference days, inservice days, etc.)

How's that job at McDonals working out for ya?

Why don't you do exactly that,figure out how much one of those babysitters gets because that is closer to what a grade school teacher should be making. By the way most people don't get paid for lunch. Now there is the old I work at home for (insert as many hours as you wish) and I don't get paid for it.

I don't know how teaching got to be so far away from the workday norm. I don't know how it was allowed to get so expensive but it is and obviously has to be changed back.

Let me tell you a few things 1. With the number of hours a teacher works they wouldn't get a retirement in the real world even if the company had one to offer. 2. They would have to pay a percentage of their health insurance. 3. They wouldn't get any paid vacation or personal/sick days as contract workers.

Something has to be done. We are in the top 3 in cost per student and in the bottom half in results. Most states can educate a student for half or less than it cost NYS to.

Why don't you do exactly that,figure out how much one of those babysitters gets because that is closer to what a grade school teacher should be making. By the way most people don't get paid for lunch. Now there is the old I work at home for (insert as many hours as you wish) and I don't get paid for it.

I don't know how teaching got to be so far away from the workday norm. I don't know how it was allowed to get so expensive but it is and obviously has to be changed back.

Let me tell you a few things 1. With the number of hours a teacher works they wouldn't get a retirement in the real world even if the company had one to offer. 2. They would have to pay a percentage of their health insurance. 3. They wouldn't get any paid vacation or personal/sick days as contract workers.

Something has to be done. We are in the top 3 in cost per student and in the bottom half in results. Most states can educate a student for half or less than it cost NYS to.

Archived