AAU Basketball

BaldEagle

Ok, there is AAU basketball talk going on in several other

topics and I thought it would be best to start it's

own thread. Tryouts are this weekend correct?

Why does it seem like teams are already made

before tryouts begin? How many local teams are there, just

RAGE or does each school have a program? JC ME

BING VEST etc... To be honest I don't quite understand

the setup....

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For as little as $30 you can form your own AAU club and team. See link http://aausports.org/ Rage is a large club that has multiple teams at all age groups. the tryouts they have are for local teams who play more or less here or Syracuse and Scranton the farthest away. Their top teams are kind of hand chosen and travel to other states etc amd play more tournaments. School teams are more or less teams made up from kids from the same school district run by parents and have registered as a club with AAU. There are other AAU Clubs/teams in the area Rockets, Hoop Dreams and the Girls AAU club Flyers usually have some boys teams each year. You only need to be AAU sanctioned to play in AAU tournaments. There are other tournaments where anybody can put a team in.

Here is a good link for finding tournaments. http://www.acahoops.com/ There are some non AAU teams just as good if not better than any AAU teams around.

The Syracuse Nets are starting these NBC tournaments that may end up being a big thing down the road. http://tournaments.syracusenets.com/

AAU seems to be the biggest thing nationally for basketball. Scouting reports for top High School players usually lists their AAU team but these players are on National Teams. Rage tournaments have drawn some real good out of state teams in the past and Rage has taken teams to play in these top tournaments out of state. Rage actually is quite reasonable to play for compared to other organizations. Check Scranton and Syracuse Clubs for costs. If Rage makes money it is on the tournaments they run.

Many of these schools only take kids fom their schools that may play baseballl or aren't quite good enough to make Rage or any others. Tony Lindsey does a nice job with local teams, although it's starting to lose some people because other teams are starting up. If you ask me, all the best players should play for one team, therefore they can travel and be much more competitive with out of state teams. If youre looking for something like that, and your son is an excellent ball player, bring him to a Rage or Hoop Dreams try out if they have them. Lindsey coachs two elite teams, 15& under and ,17& under which he hand picks, and will look for some additional talent at the try outs. Those are the teams from around here that travel the most. Hoop Dreams also has good players and a good coach, buy they only have two teams opposed to Rages 11-17 I believe. TC Rockets is one final non-school team, but the majority of them all play on a baseball team together. They only went to four tournaments last year, and none were big ones like Rages Springfield, Mass. trip, or it's Pittsburg trip.

Ok, there is AAU basketball talk going on in several other

topics and I thought it would be best to start it's

own thread. Tryouts are this weekend correct?

Why does it seem like teams are already made

before tryouts begin? How many local teams are there, just

RAGE or does each school have a program? JC ME

BING VEST etc... To be honest I don't quite understand

the setup....

today athletes in all sports male and femalehave many venues after the high school seasons are over to increase their abilities. there are also many prorams at the younger age levels.the aau basketball program is a excellent example. however in my opinion this is the rub. the programs are fueled by parents paying for their child to participate. smart organizers taking their money and putting them on a all star team..the rage all stars as a perfect example. these kids are local allstars perhaps, but the majority of them will not recoup their dads investments. there simply are not any NATIONAL TYPE basketball players in this area. no matter where they play aau..ego driven parents, coaches, dollar chasers are and always have been a dime a dozen..gray,hull.connolly all good local players,aau participants of yester year, are playing where??.this years local wannabees galagher,rose,torto garbade will fare no better .

today athletes in all sports male and femalehave many venues after the high school seasons are over to increase their abilities. there are also many prorams at the younger age levels.the aau basketball program is a excellent example. however in my opinion this is the rub. the programs are fueled by parents paying for their child to participate. smart organizers taking their money and putting them on a all star team..the rage all stars as a perfect example. these kids are local allstars perhaps, but the majority of them will not recoup their dads investments. there simply are not any NATIONAL TYPE basketball players in this area. no matter where they play aau..ego driven parents, coaches, dollar chasers are and always have been a dime a dozen..gray,hull.connolly all good local players,aau participants of yester year, are playing where??.this years local wannabees galagher,rose,torto garbade will fare no better .

I have a son and daughter who both play AAU and I don't look at it like you suggest. I don't pay for them thinking that I am going to get a return on my investment. I do it because they enjoy playing the game. Also the social aspect is great. My son for example has played with kids from Vestal, ME, JC, Windsor, Binghamton, CV etc. Some of these players are good friends of his now. It has opened my kids to the world sort of speak and I believe will help them adjust easier when they leave the nest. When I think about what it has done for them I am getting a great return on my investment.

I have a son and daughter who both play AAU and I don't look at it like you suggest. I don't pay for them thinking that I am going to get a return on my investment. I do it because they enjoy playing the game. Also the social aspect is great. My son for example has played with kids from Vestal, ME, JC, Windsor, Binghamton, CV etc. Some of these players are good friends of his now. It has opened my kids to the world sort of speak and I believe will help them adjust easier when they leave the nest. When I think about what it has done for them I am getting a great return on my investment.

Great post, one of the best ever on this site. I think you are correct when you talk about the relationships these young men and woman are building with others in the community, and it is absolutely a great investment.

Guest fact checker

if one enjoys pap your post will fill them up.. this thread is not and never was about opening experiences in any sport..it was primarily about aau basketball..where did and at what age did your little darlings receive that orgasmic pleasure balling with the kids from me..ue..etc ..we are talking about aau basketball programs mainly geared toward fourteen and up years..most of these parents think their kid will be stars..why all the blatherover whose program is this, whose program is that?? if all the parents are just looking for a place for their kid to play..save the money and play for the high school programs..by the way my sons introductory athletic programs were at the YMCAand CYO..PRORAMS MUCH MORE AFFORDABLE..

if one enjoys pap your post will fill them up.. this thread is not and never was about opening experiences in any sport..it was primarily about aau basketball..where did and at what age did your little darlings receive that orgasmic pleasure balling with the kids from me..ue..etc ..we are talking about aau basketball programs mainly geared toward fourteen and up years..most of these parents think their kid will be stars..why all the blatherover whose program is this, whose program is that?? if all the parents are just looking for a place for their kid to play..save the money and play for the high school programs..by the way my sons introductory athletic programs were at the YMCAand CYO..PRORAMS MUCH MORE AFFORDABLE..

What was that about...A rational, logical post followed by incoherent babbling.

Guest AAU Fan

Notice its AAU Fan, not nut or scholarship chaser etc...we are part of an aau organization that provides a service to the youngsters in this area. They dont care what school they play for, what other clubs they have been part of and so on. All they do is provide a cost conscious opportunity for the local kids to continue practicing with other kids with similar aspirations, make new friends, maybe give them a leg up on the competition next season and beyond (both in their own school programs and in games). As with every other "pay to play" option out there, 99 out of a 100 times the family would get a better return if you deposited the fees, travel, clothing expenses into a CD or College Savings Program but I hate to think of what we'd have missed out on if thats what I had done. Its like a freaking Mastercard commercial if you get in with the right people. Priceless.

Bash away. I did not mention my club affiliation because i believe MOST of the groups in the area are like this. We just didnt have enough interest at our school district to be a stand alone group.

I put my son on a team around here and it's the most fun he's had in basketball. I've noticed a great improvement in all of his skills, due to his coach and the effort he put in. He's made friends from out of state, sv, Binghamton, etc. He isn't even playing baseball this year because last year transfomed him to a better bball player, and he's going on some great trips this year. I think MOST program are designed for the kids to play, not because physco parents. My son plays for Rage. TL has done great for him, and I don't even mind spending the money, as long as this is what HE wants to do.

Guest Guest

So, piggybacking off the other AAU conversation, do Krowiak and Lindsey's teams play in the same age bracket? Are they in the same tournaments? Are they rivals or something? Why all the talk about these 2 coaches?

So, piggybacking off the other AAU conversation, do Krowiak and Lindsey's teams play in the same age bracket? Are they in the same tournaments? Are they rivals or something? Why all the talk about these 2 coaches?

Well the two teams are both 15 under teams. Lindseys team is pretty much basketball first guys, while Krowiaks is baseball first. They are in two or three of the same tournaments, although TLs squad plays in a lot of higher competition tourneys like New Jersey in Pittsburg. They aren't exactly rivals seeing as how they haven't played yet, but I believe last year yet were favored to win. On the other hand, this year I heard Rage ha the advantage, and they're adding a big guy, and are favored to win this year. These two coaches are very debatable because it's said that the TC Rockets coach made this team for Kyle Gallagher, and his son CJ Krowiak to get slot more shots off than they would or Tony. People debate about Tony for reasons I don't know, and because apparently he wouldn't allow Krowiak to coach his own son in Tonys league because it was unfair to the other kids. That's just my unbiased opinion. Both groups have great players like Krowiak, Gallaghers, Sincki, Wisnewski, Dean, Williams, etc. Hopefully we'll see them battle it out in a tournament this year.

Guest fact checker

Well the two teams are both 15 under teams. Lindseys team is pretty much basketball first guys, while Krowiaks is baseball first. They are in two or three of the same tournaments, although TLs squad plays in a lot of higher competition tourneys like New Jersey in Pittsburg. They aren't exactly rivals seeing as how they haven't played yet, but I believe last year yet were favored to win. On the other hand, this year I heard Rage ha the advantage, and they're adding a big guy, and are favored to win this year. These two coaches are very debatable because it's said that the TC Rockets coach made this team for Kyle Gallagher, and his son CJ Krowiak to get slot more shots off than they would or Tony. People debate about Tony for reasons I don't know, and because apparently he wouldn't allow Krowiak to coach his own son in Tonys league because it was unfair to the other kids. That's just my unbiased opinion. Both groups have great players like Krowiak, Gallaghers, Sincki, Wisnewski, Dean, Williams, etc. Hopefully we'll see them battle it out in a tournament this year.

under dog you continue to underwhelm...often, i have seen gallagher, krowiak. wisnewski and sinicki play this year..will state that they are young..however to even remotely suggest that they are great...is.. ABSURD..at best they might be somewhat decent at this time..none of them possess two basketball skills which could be described as very good..krowiak a three point shooter, what other skill makes him great??.gallagher what? his production greatl enhanced by the system he plays in and his position within it..what skills make him great?? all the other players have similiar shortcomings and fall far short of being GREAT..some of them have a edge in that they are coached by family and co workers of their parents..

under dog you continue to underwhelm...often, i have seen gallagher, krowiak. wisnewski and sinicki play this year..will state that they are young..however to even remotely suggest that they are great...is.. ABSURD..at best they might be somewhat decent at this time..none of them possess two basketball skills which could be described as very good..krowiak a three point shooter, what other skill makes him great??.gallagher what? his production greatl enhanced by the system he plays in and his position within it..what skills make him great?? all the other players have similiar shortcomings and fall far short of being GREAT..some of them have a edge in that they are coached by family and co workers of their parents..

First of all you type and talk like a idiot. You sound like a joke and no one takes you seriously. Now on to your idiotic reply. I'm sorry your kid goes to JC and can't make either of these teams. Buy that's fine. And Fact checker? What's that? You've clearly never seen Sinickis mid-range jumper and driving abilities, Wisnewskis strength on the boards and finishing qualities. Gallgagher is strong in general and can handle, while Krowiak also handles and shoots the s*** out of the ball. And where in my post did I say anyone was going to be the next protegy, or was an upcoming star, and should be scouted already like you're suggesting. I don't use dumb phrases or crap like you, you should be able to read it correctly.

Guest Guest

yes, tony lindsey is all about being fair to all the kids. excuse me while i barf.

Guest Guest

That,is by far, the best/truest post on here in a long,long,time!

Guest fact checker

underwhelming..let us look at your post..it says....great...great...greatplayers like krowiak. gallagher etc. etc..i ask you to depict their greatness...and you deny saying it...you call me a joke, brand me a idiot?? mr underwheming..you have been UN - DRESSED...

underwhelming..let us look at your post..it says....great...great...greatplayers like krowiak. gallagher etc. etc..i ask you to depict their greatness...and you deny saying it...you call me a joke, brand me a idiot?? mr underwheming..you have been UN - DRESSED...

Yes I BRAND you an idiot because you take others words into your own, and twist them when someone proves you're wrong. Those are great players. Above good not amazing. Any simpler for you? I then gave you several reasons as to why each player was great. Try checking the facts above moron.

Guest FACT CHECKER

Yes I BRAND you an idiot because you take others words into your own, and twist them when someone proves you're wrong. Those are great players. Above good not amazing. Any simpler for you? I then gave you several reasons as to why each player was great. Try checking the facts above moron.

mr un-derwhelming..you can not fly un..der the radar..your post is there for all to see..as are mine..i will remove myself from this dialogue as you have upgraded me, or down graded me from idiot to moron..let us look to other postors..you assert gal;lagher and krowiak are ..GREAT players..on these pages are several all star lists..no where to be found are the names of your GREAT players..are these opines also from idiots and morons?.face it mr under- whelming, you just over- stated your opinion and are now just spinning your under- developed mind..

Guest Guest

So I'm not aware of the fact checkers dilema with the Under-Dog but all I have to say is that these kids are 9th graders. Where and why would they be put up in the category of super-stars fact checker?

Guest Guest

So I'm not aware of the fact checkers dilema with the Under-Dog but all I have to say is that these kids are 9th graders. Where and why would they be put up in the category of super-stars fact checker?

first of all, there is no talent in basketball in this area. maybe as someone grows older they will seperate themselves from the pack. the sad part is these kids are still way too young to judge what the next 3-4 yrs will bring. why not just let them play????

the reason they aren't just allowed to play is the ego's of the coaches and parents. they live their failed athletic lives through these kids. it is sickening. they have no knowledge of basketball yet think they are experts. it's not much better than school ball, but at least they aren't being exploited as badly as AAU and RAGE. it makes unknowledgable people think they are basketball gurus, when they are nothing but clowns. and of course, the kids get caught up in the drama when someone should be teaching them hoops and how it relates to real life.

Guest Guest

first of all, there is no talent in basketball in this area. maybe as someone grows older they will seperate themselves from the pack. the sad part is these kids are still way too young to judge what the next 3-4 yrs will bring. why not just let them play????

the reason they aren't just allowed to play is the ego's of the coaches and parents. they live their failed athletic lives through these kids. it is sickening. they have no knowledge of basketball yet think they are experts. it's not much better than school ball, but at least they aren't being exploited as badly as AAU and RAGE. it makes unknowledgable people think they are basketball gurus, when they are nothing but clowns. and of course, the kids get caught up in the drama when someone should be teaching them hoops and how it relates to real life.

Sorry but I'm pretty sure Gallagher wrestled d1, Wisnewski ran track at Penn state d1, and mike sinicki played d1 basketball at Boston college. Those are pretty sucsesful athletic careers, wouldn't you say so? And mike might know a little something after head coaching JV Binghamton universaty ball, and the assistant coaching at Maryland university. Maybe not though...

Guest Guest

Sorry but I'm pretty sure Gallagher wrestled d1, Wisnewski ran track at Penn state d1, and mike sinicki played d1 basketball at Boston college. Those are pretty sucsesful athletic careers, wouldn't you say so? And mike might know a little something after head coaching JV Binghamton universaty ball, and the assistant coaching at Maryland university. Maybe not though...

uhhhh, what????????????????? track and wrestling??? please don't explain that to me. i'm sure it makes sense to you. sinicki was one of our area's best, and never played a sum of 10 minutes in 4 yrs at BC. same with spera at cuse. they got an education at college. they were not players. that just shows you how untalented this area has always been. not sure what coach you are talking about. i can only read english. king rice was expected to be the next savior by the NC fans. he was an average point guard who couldn't hit the rim from 20 ft. try thorazine.

Guest Guest

uhhhh, what????????????????? track and wrestling??? please don't explain that to me. i'm sure it makes sense to you. sinicki was one of our area's best, and never played a sum of 10 minutes in 4 yrs at BC. same with spera at cuse. they got an education at college. they were not players. that just shows you how untalented this area has always been. not sure what coach you are talking about. i can only read english. king rice was expected to be the next savior by the NC fans. he was an average point guard who couldn't hit the rim from 20 ft. try thorazine.

How come nobody ever mentions Sean Kerins from UE and the Lee brothers from Windsor when talking about Div 1 players from here?

Archived