Silver is Soaring

PeteMoss

On Wednesday, someone posted an answer to me that Silver was not a good investment, that it was like buying a house in Las Vegas in 2008. I think the topic was deleted hours later.

At the time of the posting, Silver was at $44.50 an ounce. Now, 2 days later it is at $46.50, a 4% increase in 2 days. You can not get 4% at a bank, in a year, much less in 2 days.

There is still a lot of upside in Silver. Just thought you should know.

Pete---

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Coin Guy

Just checked the PGCS web site. Both gold and silver seem to be doing quite well.

Gold - 1503.20

Last year - 1168.40

Silver - 46.06

Last year - 18.11

Prices were posted yesterday.

Kinda makes me think I might sell the one pound silver rounds I've collected over the years maybe even my Silver Eagles, Maple Leafs, Pandas and Kookaburras. I think gold will go much higher so those coins I'll keep for awhile.

Good investment Pete.

Guest Guest

Gold and silver almost always surge in price during economic downturns. When (hopefully) the overall economy rebounds; gold and silver will deflate in value.

Can't afford to buy any I see.

Guest Guest

NONE of the ones around here !!!! Unless of course you like losing money, how do you think those thousand dollar ads everyday and humvees get paid for ???...

You're right there. You would be lucky to get 1/3 the value if you sell to a local dealer. If you must sell to a local dealer, the fairest(?) is probably the guy in J.C. on Main Street. If you're selling coins rent a table at a coin show or sell online. I've been a coin collector most of my adult life, i'm 67. Had my collection appraised by a local dealer a few years ago, I showed him where the door was. I have never sold anything from my collection but probably will in the next year or so, the boss says she wants to go on a long cruise and we both want to put our two grandkids through college.

Guest Cash is king

I said the Vegas line and I stand by it. A lot of people will be selling thier coin collections and thier current holdings...like me.

By the way, my fidelity portfolio went up 3% in the last 2 full days of trading and 9% YTD. So I guess you can get 4%.

So please buy up my 50% divestiture of gold and silver...I bought it when it was low.

Guest Guest

For gold and silver to lose value, the dollar would actually need to gain in value. There is no way this will happen any time soon. Anyone with intelligence can see this government's spending can barely be slowed down. The money is being printed like there is no tomorrow and there are long drawn out fights in congress just to reduce a budget by a paltry 60 billion. It's laughable.

Guest Guest

www.bogleheads.org to learn something. What you're discussing is simply speculation and you're a bit player just itching to get played.

it is not speculation that when the dollar loses value that gold and silver go up significantly. as long as the dollar is the standard world currency, it will go up as the dollar goes down. if the dollar loses that status, then things can change, but gold and silver will never be a bad investment. for the last 5 yrs, it is going insane.

Guest Guest

Are you buying coins, bars, ETF's? The local question seems puzzling, sounds like someone has a hoard of gold/silver coins that they think they are going to get paid top dollar for?

Guest Guest

Are you buying coins, bars, ETF's? The local question seems puzzling, sounds like someone has a hoard of gold/silver coins that they think they are going to get paid top dollar for?

ETF is paper. I want the real thing. The best thing to buy is junk silver, i.e. old US coins. They are small (dimes) and are easy to weigh and calculate the real value of.

coinflation.com

To the non-investor who did not buy silver and is sorry now, an all-time high has nothing to do with it.

Guest Guest

I said the Vegas line and I stand by it. A lot of people will be selling thier coin collections and thier current holdings...like me.

By the way, my fidelity portfolio went up 3% in the last 2 full days of trading and 9% YTD. So I guess you can get 4%.

So please buy up my 50% divestiture of gold and silver...I bought it when it was low.

Your "fidelity portfolio" is paper. Paper is worth nothing.

Guest coin guy

Why would anyone buy at an all time high?

Is your itch to abuse people SO bad that you don't even care if you make sense?

Didn't buy at an 'all time high' as you put it. Haven't bought anything since I retired about 6 years ago. Have watched the value of my bullion and coins steady increase in value for over 10 years. Example: One ounce(.999) silver bar, paid about $8 value at todays prices about $46. Morgan and Peace silver dollars have also increased dramatically.

Guest Not to bright owner

Guess coins are worth nothing.

Man Arrested For Stealing Coins And Trying to Resell ThemBy Darren Dodge

Man Arrested For Stealing Coins And Trying to Resell Them

April 22, 2011

Updated Apr 22, 2011 at 2:54 PM EDT

Endicott, NY (WBNG Binghamton) Endicott Police have arrested a man for stealing valuable collector's coins and trying to sell them to a pawn shop.

Investigators say Robert P. Clark, 47, stole a 2006 American Eagle Platinum Proof Coin set from an Endicott home and tried to sell them to a Binghamton pawn shop.

WBNG E-News - Sign Up For Our Newsletter!

The coins are valued at more than $3,300.The proof set is one of approximately fifty that had been stolen from the victim over the last several months, with a total value in excess of $22,000. Clark was arraigned in the Village of Endicott court on a charge of Criminal Possession of Stolen Property and sent to the Broome County Jail without bail.

Guest Guest

Didn't buy at an 'all time high' as you put it. Haven't bought anything since I retired about 6 years ago. Have watched the value of my bullion and coins steady increase in value for over 10 years. Example: One ounce(.999) silver bar, paid about $8 value at todays prices about $46. Morgan and Peace silver dollars have also increased dramatically.

Do you even know what you're posting to? Do you have ANY interpretive skills?

Did you post this that I responded to?

Guest, on 22 April 2011 - 10:09 AM, said:

Can't afford to buy any I see.

Guest Guest

Do you even know what you're posting to? Do you have ANY interpretive skills?

Did you post this that I responded to?

This is what i replied to..

'Why would anyone buy at an all time high?

Is your itch to abuse people SO bad that you don't even care if you make sense?'

What's your problem?

Guest Guest

This is what i replied to..

'Why would anyone buy at an all time high?

Is your itch to abuse people SO bad that you don't even care if you make sense?'

What's your problem?

Well, one of them is when dumb people plop a post without understanding the flow, and then ask what my problem is. :rolleyes:

Another one is when some nasty a-h has to post something about "someone not being able to afford something."

Was that you, too? If it was, you're a A-H. If it wasn't, you're a clod, and are now arguing with me because I was directing my post elsewhere.

Guest Guest

Well, one of them is when dumb people plop a post without understanding the flow, and then ask what my problem is. :rolleyes:

Another one is when some nasty a-h has to post something about "someone not being able to afford something."

Was that you, too? If it was, you're a A-H. If it wasn't, you're a clod, and are now arguing with me because I was directing my post elsewhere.

Guess you need to be more careful who you're replying to. Seems to piss you off so I guess you can't afford to buy something. Sounds like you might be a bit jealous of others.