DWI Laws

Guest Guest

Ask that after your kids get killed by a drunk driver.... duh!

My grandmother got killed by a drunk driver...and another by heart disease. I still don't see how that has anything to do with the fairness of drunk driving laws. If someone hurts someone else while being drunk, or while reading the paper driving...yes I have seen that...then they should be dealt with by the law. But the witch hunt that is currently our DWI laws seems pretty ridiculous to me. Seems that in this country we want to be "pre-emptive" about everything but the reality is that you can not legislate the world into being a zero risk zone.

don't drink & drive DELETED and then you won't have to worry. and who cares if your grandmother dies as a result of a drunken driver. apparently, you don't. and yes, preemtive stikes sre the best rather than to react to something after the fact. but you, obvioulsy a drunk, know better. i like your type just about as much as welfare DELETED. oyore in the same boat.

don't drink & drive DELETED and then you won't have to worry. and who cares if your grandmother dies as a result of a drunken driver. apparently, you don't. and yes, preemtive stikes sre the best rather than to react to something after the fact. but you, obvioulsy a drunk, know better. i like your type just about as much as welfare DELETED. oyore in the same boat.

Sure, sounds like a plan, let the government legislate everything...no smoking, no fat food, no dogs in cars, no distracting children in cars, no slippery sidewalks, no stress... The wonders of modern government. When do you decide it is too much?

During 2005, 16,885 people in the U.S. died in alcohol-related motor vehicle crashes, representing 39% of all traffic-related deaths (NHTSA 2006).

In 2005, nearly 1.4 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics (Department of Justice 2005).

Unintentional fall deaths Number of deaths: 18,807

Harrass 1.4 million drivers...and you still have alcohol related deaths? Hmm, how is that possible? And you don't think this is a scam to make money?

What about all those unintentional fall deaths? Can't they arrest a couple million more clumsy people or at least some clumsy rehab?

During 2005, 16,885 people in the U.S. died in alcohol-related motor vehicle crashes, representing 39% of all traffic-related deaths (NHTSA 2006).

In 2005, nearly 1.4 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics (Department of Justice 2005).

Unintentional fall deaths Number of deaths: 18,807

Harrass 1.4 million drivers...and you still have alcohol related deaths? Hmm, how is that possible? And you don't think this is a scam to make money?

What about all those unintentional fall deaths? Can't they arrest a couple million more clumsy people or at least some clumsy rehab?

The difference here is that an unintentional fall usually affects just the person who is falling, although measures should be in place to reduce the risk of it. However drunk driving can KILL innocent people.

The difference here is that an unintentional fall usually affects just the person who is falling, although measures should be in place to reduce the risk of it. However drunk driving can KILL innocent people.

What about all the other innocent victims dying in car crashes every day, shouldn't we just ban cars? It sounds ridiculous but the reality is living is a dangerous endeavor, there is no getting out alive. We can't continue to create harsher and more restrictive laws that unduly negatively affect large populations of people that have never hurt anyone just because we want to prevent all danger in the world. Our government is getting out of control and we allow it because we want Big Brother to protect us. Read 1984 and really ask yourself if we are not heading there.

I know two people who wre riding bicycles and got wiped out by drunk drivers. Both are now paraplegics. I know traffic accidents happen but when alcohol is involved they go from being traffic accidents to being violent crimes.

I know two people who wre riding bicycles and got wiped out by drunk drivers. Both are now paraplegics. I know traffic accidents happen but when alcohol is involved they go from being traffic accidents to being violent crimes.

Very sorry to hear of your friends accidents but you have to admit that the laws did not stop the accidents from happening, because they did happen. And for these cases punishment should be commiserate with the crime. My point is that the current laws harass large amount of people that did not hurt anyone but also did not prevent your friends accidents. More and more restrictive laws are not going to stop accidents either. The only result is that many people that would have never caused a problem will be part of the system, that is ridiculously damaging while supporting a bureaucracy that is becoming draconian. I have a friend that was stopped after one drink and because he was unable to get the breathalyzer to work properly, no the officer does not have to make it work either, there is an automatic one year license suspension. So, that person's job, family, life is now affected dramatically for what purpose? Amazingly enough you can kill someone and have less of a punishment. In this country it used to be innocent until proven guilty but not with the current DWI laws. What worries me is that this just represents a trend in our government that is not good and someday when we can't do anything without fear of legal recourse we will look back and wonder where it went awry. It is going awry now.

I am a male 52 years old. When I was younger I drank and drove on occasion. I actually thought drinking calmed my nerves and made me a better driver... However one time I came upon a red light and almost rear-ended the car in front of me... I then realized that because I was drunk it affected my depth perception. Because I am now older and wiser I do not drink and drive - EVER!!!

Very sorry to hear of your friends accidents but you have to admit that the laws did not stop the accidents from happening, because they did happen. And for these cases punishment should be commiserate with the crime. My point is that the current laws harass large amount of people that did not hurt anyone but also did not prevent your friends accidents. More and more restrictive laws are not going to stop accidents either. The only result is that many people that would have never caused a problem will be part of the system, that is ridiculously damaging while supporting a bureaucracy that is becoming draconian. I have a friend that was stopped after one drink and because he was unable to get the breathalyzer to work properly, no the officer does not have to make it work either, there is an automatic one year license suspension. So, that person's job, family, life is now affected dramatically for what purpose? Amazingly enough you can kill someone and have less of a punishment. In this country it used to be innocent until proven guilty but not with the current DWI laws. What worries me is that this just represents a trend in our government that is not good and someday when we can't do anything without fear of legal recourse we will look back and wonder where it went awry. It is going awry now.

I simply can't believe that some people have a problem with DWI laws.

Those who choose to drink and drive are putting themselves and unknown other innocent people in much higher probability of injury and death.

I used to drive drunk. I totalled a car and fortunately, no one got hurt. I got arrested for DWI. As a result, I stopped drinking entirely. I still drive. No one is in danger of me driving dangerously anymore.

The law saved my life, and probably some other lives, too.

I couldn't be happier.

You all must remember that driving in NY is a privilege, not a right. You get to keep that privilege by following the vehicle & traffic laws of the state. If you do not follow them (i.e. get caught driving intoxicated) you lose you privilege to drive.

Here is a suggestion, go to a European country and get caught driving intox, let me know the results.

Almost all of those countries do not have anywhree as near fatal DWI type incidents as the U.S. because of thier strick DWI laws...

My uncle was riding his bike to work and got hit by a drunk driver. He was killed. The drunk driver left him on the side of the road to die. Do I think the police should harrass every person who has a beer and drives no but I do believe the laws are in place for a reason.

It wasn't that long ago that those two high school girls got run over on Rt. 11 by a drunk driver.

But that's ok, we shouldn't pass "oppressive" legislation against DWI, should we? That would be taking away our Rights.

Some people say it is UNCONSTITUTIONAL to use federal highway funds as a tool to force individual state to pass laws involving DWI.

For example a some states still had age 18 as the legal drinking age. The DWI pleaded their case to President Regan and he agreed that any state that did not raise the minimum drinking age to 21 within a short time frame would lose their federal highway funds. So now because of some arm twisting all 50 states have the minimum drinking age at 21.

Also when you fail the breathalizer test or refuse to take a breathalizer test some states will sieze your drivers license on the spot. This is UNCONSTITUTIONAL because the state is seizing your personal property (Drivers Licensce) before a trial thus depriving you of due process.

Also states like NY impose an age limit on those people seeking employment as policemen and firemen. I think you must be 28 or younger - this is blatant age discrimination and is UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

However the reason these UNCONSTITUTIONAL actions can take place is because they argue it's done in the name of PUBLIC SAFETY!! For example you can not yell FIRE in a crowded movie theater. The Supreme Court has ruled in different instances that to protect PUBLIC SAFETY these kind of actions are permitted.

As a side note: States used to get additional Federal Highway money as a reward for having laws mandating that motorcycle riders must wear crash helments. To save money Bush did away with this incentive and the Governor of Pennsylvannia got mad and decided no incentive no law requiring helments for motorcyclists in PA.

If this country or state was serious about getting drunk drivers off the road, then there would be zero-tolerance for having any alcohol in your system when driving. Instead, it's an arbitrary BAC percent that decides whether one is ok to drive. The system as it is does not teach anyone not to drink and drive, it just teaches them not to get caught, and fleeces them heavily if they do.

You all must remember that driving in NY is a privilege, not a right. You get to keep that privilege by following the vehicle & traffic laws of the state. If you do not follow them (i.e. get caught driving intoxicated) you lose you privilege to drive.

Here is a suggestion, go to a European country and get caught driving intox, let me know the results.

Almost all of those countries do not have anywhree as near fatal DWI type incidents as the U.S. because of thier strick DWI laws...

Europeans attitude towards alcohol consumption is totally different than in this country. Canada considers a DUI a felony. First time. Go directly to Jail. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.00

I take it that the OP got himself in a wee bit of trouble? It's a tough lesson to learn, not to mention expensive. Besides your wallet, hopefully it will open your eyes and your mind. It happened to me. Fortunately no one had to be killed or injured for me to learn my lesson. That was 30 years ago and I haven't touched a drop since. No meetings or any of that crap. I just knew what the future would hold for me if I continued down the same path as my father. And he was the last person I ever wanted to emulate.

Europeans attitude towards alcohol consumption is totally different than in this country. Canada considers a DUI a felony. First time. Go directly to Jail. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.00

I take it that the OP got himself in a wee bit of trouble? It's a tough lesson to learn, not to mention expensive. Besides your wallet, hopefully it will open your eyes and your mind. It happened to me. Fortunately no one had to be killed or injured for me to learn my lesson. That was 30 years ago and I haven't touched a drop since. No meetings or any of that crap. I just knew what the future would hold for me if I continued down the same path as my father. And he was the last person I ever wanted to emulate.

Europeans also allow everyone to tote a gun around, shouldn't we do the same?

I think they should take some of the revenue generated by DWI fines to fund additional public transportation to encourage people to take public transportation instead of driving after a night out on the town. In this area the buses don't run after 10 pm or so and many nights it is almost impossible to get a cab. I think if there were more transportation alternatives availible it would encourage more people to use it instead of drinking and driving. I don't think the existing laws should be changed but I feel that some of the revenue should at least be aimed towards preventing the problem instead of additional enforcement and punishments.

The only proof you have that you are not drunk is the breathalyzer. I tried multiple times to get a reading and was unable to make it work, so it was deemed a refusal. I wouldn't know how to make it not work. The officer could not tell me what I was doing incorrectly and he is the person experienced with the machine. I have no idea how this is fair.

""If this country or state was serious about getting drunk drivers off the road, then there would be zero-tolerance for having any alcohol in your system when driving. Instead, it's an arbitrary BAC percent that decides whether one is ok to drive. The system as it is does not teach anyone not to drink and drive, it just teaches them not to get caught, and fleeces them heavily if they do.""

I agree with this... DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE... innocent people may be harmed, paralyized, brain damaged, or killed.

Archived