M-E Football

Guest guest

In their quest for another sectional title and state championship the team seems to be looking well. Returning players filling the offensive back field, as well as a stout defense that looks to be the teams strength. With M-E the clear favorite as sectional champ in class A, a difficult schedule will prove what this team is made off. If the boys from maine endwell can make it out of the section untouched look for them to make a serious push for a title deep in the state playoffs

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, they ain't the favorite in Section 4. U-E clearly is. M-E COULD win the section, but your pre-season bravado is nothing but laughable. Neither has a shot of getting past the state semis if they stumble that far.

M-E 2-1 in division, 5-3 or 4-4 after 8 weeks.

LOL! My code words to post this are "Division fever"

5-3 or 4-4? what are you on? what teams exactly do you think will beat them

I am on realism. Not blue & gold glasses like yourself.

M-E > CV

Canisius > M-E, it's a fair prediction for an unknown.

Elmira > M-E

M-E > Horseheads

U-E > M-E, although M-E could win this.

M-E > Vestal. Vestal could upset

Corning > M-E

M-E > JC, JC could upset

That above is a predicted 4-4. They avoid upsets and knock off U-E they are 5-3. If Canisius is bad M-E could be 6-2.

They lose to Canisius and if they suffer an upset and they fall to 3-5.

I'm seeing 4-4.

OMG! Are you Sparents still pulling that "Dynasty" nonesense again? Please stop! You haven't created a dynasty nor will there ever be a "Dynasty" in Sparentsville.

Guest Realist

Elmira is garbage so that's a win, corning lost their stud from last season so that is a toss up game not an automatic loss, canisius is a one man team with their stud RB other then that not too much

Guest funkster

I am on realism. Not blue & gold glasses like yourself.

M-E > CV

Canisius > M-E, it's a fair prediction for an unknown.

Elmira > M-E

M-E > Horseheads

U-E > M-E, although M-E could win this.

M-E > Vestal. Vestal could upset

Corning > M-E

M-E > JC, JC could upset

That above is a predicted 4-4. They avoid upsets and knock off U-E they are 5-3. If Canisius is bad M-E could be 6-2.

They lose to Canisius and if they suffer an upset and they fall to 3-5.

I'm seeing 4-4.

M-E Wins

CV (not easy, but M-E should win a tough one)

Elmira

Horseheads

Vestal

JC (semi-tough one, JC isn't terrible, but not great either)

M-E Losses

Corning (probably a good game, but Corning may be just a little too much for M-E)

Toss-Ups

Canisius (not enough information on them)

U-E (I would think U-E has he edge, but the QB situaltion is not settled, while at M-E, it is)

So anywhere between 5-3 and 7-1 (6-2 seems about right, unless something unexpected happens)

how can the spartans be any good this year after losing 11 seniors on offense and nearly the same amount on defense?

It's not that the juniors were slouches, many of them started and/or got a decent amount of playing time after the starters came out. That DOES speak for something. Case in point, the 2002 Forks team. Lost the 2002 Class B state title game on a field goal as time ran out. ALL 22 starters for the playoffs were seniors. The 2003 team, with NO starters back, went 13-0.

Can't see M-E going 13-0 as they have a very tough schedule, but if they stay healthy they have a great shot at winning their division.

Guest fact checker

hopefully your head is burried in pre irene sand. to deny there is a football dynasty on farm to market. is akin to believing the world is flat..the football jv program convincingly won their twentyfourth straight contest yesterday, the varsity spartans have won or played for the section championship each of those seasons as well...who has played better football?..who has been as consistently successful as the spartan program?..this year and next...could very easily end up with state championships..the spartans are that good...

hopefully your head is burried in pre irene sand. to deny there is a football dynasty on farm to market. is akin to believing the world is flat..the football jv program convincingly won their twentyfourth straight contest yesterday, the varsity spartans have won or played for the section championship each of those seasons as well...who has played better football?..who has been as consistently successful as the spartan program?..this year and next...could very easily end up with state championships..the spartans are that good...

Barrett will start at QB for ME

Too bad

Please. M-E has NEVER had a state championship caliber team and that includes the year they won it all. They trailed badly in three playoff games that year and the other teams let them out of the bag. Granted, M-E also earned it, but they had no business being in the title game that year. Their defense was woeful in the playoffs. Probably the most ever allowed by a team that won the title.

Fact is M-E has THREE Section 4 titles in the last 18 seasons and that is indicative of the overall average program they have.

JV success has little bearing on future Varsity success. Ask Susquehanna Valley. Ask Greene. As Unadilla/Valley/Edmeston.

As for "who has been as consistently successful as the spartan program"? You kidding me? Heard of Walton? Forks? Ask six OTHER teams from recent seasons. Here's a copy & paste from another thread. M-E comes in ninth.

60% win percentage or better in Section 4 the last six seasons:

62-8 (0.886) - Chenango Forks

52-14 (0.788) - Walton

43-13 (0.768) - Corning East (last 5 seasons solo, pre-merger with Corning West )

40-14 (0.741) - Candor

39-16 (0.709) - Greene

40-21 (0.656) - Union-Endicott

40-21 (0.656) - Sidney

38-20 (0.655) - Groton

38-21 (0.644) - Maine-Endwell

37-21 (0.638) - Chenango Valley

30-19 (0.612) - Deposit (last 5 seasons solo. Was merged with Hancock in 2010))

30-19 (0.612) - Corning West

34-22 (0.607) - Waverly

Please. M-E has NEVER had a state championship caliber team and that includes the year they won it all. They trailed badly in three playoff games that year and the other teams let them out of the bag. Granted, M-E also earned it, but they had no business being in the title game that year. Their defense was woeful in the playoffs. Probably the most ever allowed by a team that won the title.

Fact is M-E has THREE Section 4 titles in the last 18 seasons and that is indicative of the overall average program they have.

JV success has little bearing on future Varsity success. Ask Susquehanna Valley. Ask Greene. As Unadilla/Valley/Edmeston.

As for "who has been as consistently successful as the spartan program"? You kidding me? Heard of Walton? Forks? Ask six OTHER teams from recent seasons. Here's a copy & paste from another thread. M-E comes in ninth.

52-14 (0.788) - Walton

43-13 (0.768) - Corning East (last 5 seasons solo, pre-merger with Corning West )

40-14 (0.741) - Candor

39-16 (0.709) - Greene

40-21 (0.656) - Sidney

38-20 (0.655) - Groton

34-22 (0.607) - Waverly

whether it was justified, in your mind, or not M-E football did win a state title by winning 3 of the most exciting games this fan has ever watched. That's probably one more that you ever won.

whether it was justified, in your mind, or not M-E football did win a state title by winning 3 of the most exciting games this fan has ever watched. That's probably one more that you ever won.

The most exciting high school game around here in tghe last 20-30 years was the "Palmer Field Goal" game.

Guest fact checker

52-14 (0.788) - Walton

40-14 (0.741) - Candor

39-16 (0.709) - Greene

40-21 (0.656) - Sidney

38-20 (0.655) - Groton

34-22 (0.607) - Waverly

Why did you waste your time and ours?. I am glad you were stimulated by reading my post,but why the hysteria? I WAS/ AM simply posting about the spartan football programs unmatchable successes the last three years and my projections for that t6o continue the next two.. Why you chose to blabber about yester year only you know..forks and walton have indeed been excellent programs...however to my way of thinking they have not played strong schedules..playoff tough teams regularly? me thinks not. the spartans play bingo, ue. vestal..all schooks with larger enrollments..this year out of section power canisius..larger elmira, ditto corning..the spartans play a intersectionally tough schedule....not matched by the likes of forks or walton...

Why did you waste your time and ours?. I am glad you were stimulated by reading my post,but why the hysteria? I WAS/ AM simply posting about the spartan football programs unmatchable successes the last three years and my projections for that t6o continue the next two.. Why you chose to blabber about yester year only you know..forks and walton have indeed been excellent programs...however to my way of thinking they have not played strong schedules..playoff tough teams regularly? me thinks not. the spartans play bingo, ue. vestal..all schooks with larger enrollments..this year out of section power canisius..larger elmira, ditto corning..the spartans play a intersectionally tough schedule....not matched by the likes of forks or walton...

M-E HAS to play Section 4 AA and/or (this year) out of Section schools schools because there are only a handful of class A teams in our section each year.

M-E did not normally schedule Canisius, they just both happened to have open dates. It's not liked they seeked a team that size and from that league. That potential matchup was found by a guy in Albany who keeps track of open dates and got word to the guy that does the section 4 website. He told the M-E coach about Canisius and then Gallagher called the Canisius coach.

"unmatchable successes the last three years"

Really?

2008-2010

M-E goes 7-3, 8-2, 7-4. One Section 4 title, three Section 4 championship game appearances. One loss in state quarterfinals. Six regular season losses in thos three seasons.

Forks goes 7-2, 11-1, 11-1, Two Section 4 titles, two appearances. One state quarterfinal loss, one in the state semifinals. One regular season loss in those three seasons.

Walton goes 11-1, 7-3, 8-4, two Section 4 titles. Two appearances. TWO state semifinal appearances. 5 regular season losses in those seasons.

Corning WEST goes 10-2, 7-3 in 2008/2009. One Section 43 title, two appearances. One state semi appearance. Not going to include the combined year with East, nor East at all as they were not good in 2008.

I could go on and make cases for great three-season spans for Section 4 teams in those years. My point is, M-E did great, but NOT unmatched. Who is to say which school had more success? There were 15 Section 4 titles in those three years and M-E has one of them. 30 appearances those three years and M-E has three of them. THAT (three appearances) is unmatched for THOSE three seasons but again, not much competition when you have a 50/50 shot mathematically at the start of the season. Heck, outside of your three seasons, in the last decade we've had three schools WIN three straight titles and one won seven straight.

Also, M-E is not alone in scheduling larger schools. Forks does play up most of the time. The recent games vs Class D schools (Groton, Walton and now Seton) were dictated by Section 4 stating that all Class C teams have to play a D school. No choice in the matter. Outside of that, going back 30+ years, CF has almost always played their non-division games vs schools with larger enrollments, the exceptions being a few Walton games in the early 90s.

"however to my way of thinking they have not played strong schedules..playoff tough teams regularly?"

The Section 4 A teams they played during their recent run include ALL of the Class A teams while CF was B. Many were playoff teams that year. Beat them all too. Heck, one year they beat both M-E and EFA and that year EFA/M-E met for the Section 4 title.

Walton schedules larger schools, hard for them NOT to being a small school to begin with and smaller schools not wanting to play them unless the Section dictates it. Often Walton's larger victims were playoff teams.

My bottom line is, yes, M-E has done great the last three seasons and deserves mention with ANY team in the section for that time. However to say "unmatched" is really ludicrous, especially since they've only gotten out of the Section once in your chosen time frame, and that was in a class with four or five teams.

Archived