Best UFC Soccer players

Guest college scout

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I know everyone on the list and I will tell you that I have trouble giving credence to anyone who throws names around especially when they can't spell them.

First take off D'arpino, he knows nothing about soccer except what Cook has fed him. He isn't knowledgable and founded UFC to try and destroy VYSA after he had an issue with them. His entire soccer history spans about 5 years, way less than the time Marco has been at Binghamton. Marco was a former D1 player and coached D1 for 15-20 years.

Cook hates Marco because Marco and Leightmann fired him from Fusion after Cook had an entire team plus another dozen families to leave the club due to his antics. After Leightmann left Marco held to his stance and kept Cook out. From that day forward Cook had been trying to get even with Marco and he finally found money with D'arpino to do it. Cook needed a full time job after getting laid off by NYSEG and UFC is it.

Sarah McLellan just never got along with Paul. He wanted her to take the girls side of Fusion, and she had no interest in doing it. She brought Cook back in to do the work instead because he insisted he would save it, and that killed Fusion Girls forever. Sarah has had far less success than Paul at BU and has had no success at all with travel soccer so I don't know why her opinion matters. Remember she is the one who let the best player our area has produced, Strom- go to a rival and never even really tried to keep her.

Riley was burned because he was snubbed for Dorini and Narode at BU, plus once he founded GBSA with Bahij he was going to do what he needed to be succeed. Dimitrou, Esworthy, Riley, Craig and any other GBSA person were all going to tell you why their group was better. I can understand that and they want a to coach a different style than Marco. Dorini actually falls into this group too, his style clashes with Marco to a point. He just envisions things working better a different way.

Covert has more enemies than Marco could ever dream of. Purtell will never forgive Marco because Marco was honest about his son. Hans is good but not great and Marco told him as much. The kid was not the top of his age, there are quite a few players locally who were better and Purtell can't believe that, he's a deluded man taht only wanted to hear what helped his cause.

My opinion is simple on Marco, I don't really like Marco's style of play. Its direct and awful to watch at times, but he has had success with it. Its like Boeheim or Dean Smith I may have disliked the UNC four corner offense or Syracuse 2-3 zone defense to watch but they win with it and it is well coached by those men. You don't have to play one way to win and Marco has won more than he lost. 2 NCAA trips and 6 conference finals in a row says that it was worth it for BU. Would I send my kid to play for him, maybe it depends on if that style would be what benefits my kid. At least he kept most of the local talent here (the others followed John Scott to Hartwick--he was always the coach I thought that made Marco more successful).

agree

You are spot on on every point. The parents that have the most issues with Marco are the ones who have been told that their kids aren't D-1 players. It's is tough to hear, but Marco has always been brutally honest about talent, and he is no different than any other D-1 coach. Marco is the most successful coach in this area, and the others just can't handle that fact.

Wow - an honest, civl, well thought out response without an agenda.

Thank you .

Thanks for understanding I meant nothing bad to all parties its just how I have seen this all evolve over the past few years. It pains me to see local soccer in such disarray because egos have taken over instead of wanting to have better soccer.

Guest Simply passing by

The premier side has been destroyed by Cook who made it his life's ambition to do so.

So do you really believe that Cook would do this? His life's ambition . . . ? Give me a break! It is OK to not agree with the person, but to say that he wants to destroy something that he has been involved with for many years, seems a little over the top!

UFC started because Darpino was mad at the president of VYSA.

Even if this was remotely true, so what? How have the youth of the community been harmed? Is VYSA, or any other local soccer club, that good that no other ideas/approaches should be considered? I do not know how many local youth play travel or premier soccer, but for the size of Binghamton-area, there appears that there are too many clubs. Each of these clubs offers the same - a coach (many with lmited certification) that practices once or twice a week. There certainly are very good coaches in the area - but it seems to me that United FC's support from the local colleges has provided an advantage over all of the other area clubs (which are primarily parents who want to do well). One can be a great parent coach, but to measure up against a D1 coach, that would be a stretch for any reasonable person to accept. Just my opinion. Plus, if the number of local clubs could be reduced, then the stronger players could play together instead of being scattered across the area. Unfortunately, as many have stated about the United FC people, the same could be said about other clubs - there are just too many egos involved for that to happen.

I sit back and read these posts and wonder what everyone is so wound up about. If United FC is a non-profit organization (which it is for I went to the state site), then let them run the Club. I have also visited the webite and I do not see how they are expensive. $40/month for a trainer and training time each week - that is $10/week for an hour. Heck, I pay $25 an hour for my son at RBI swinging away with a student player. Some folks need to just relax and look at the big picture - you may not agree with what Cook, Darpino or any of the others - that is OK for you have other choices. But to make some of these accusations, just does not bring value to a conversation.

That last post is exactly what's wrong with Youth Club Soccer ... Shouldn't it be about growing the # of clubs and reaching out to more and more kids ? Instead - John Q. Public has been con'd into believing that in order for their children to learn the game "correctly" - they must PAY for this supposed SUPERIOR training. If that is what the "BIG PICTURE" has turned into, then Soccer will always play 2nd fiddle to the other sports and maintain it's laughing-stock image on the International level.

Come on - It's soccer - a sport that is 90 % improvisational. What advantage does working with a coach with a certificate provide, as opposed to a skilled, experienced ex-player without one ?

Just saying ... Save your money people - you are going to need it.

If United FC is a non-profit organization (which it is for I went to the state site), then let them run the Club.

Please site your source. On what web site did you find this information?

If United FC is a non-profit organization (which it is for I went to the state site), then let them run the Club.

Please site your source. On what web site did you find this information?

Sorry Cite

That last post is exactly what's wrong with Youth Club Soccer ... Shouldn't it be about growing the # of clubs and reaching out to more and more kids ? Instead - John Q. Public has been con'd into believing that in order for their children to learn the game "correctly" - they must PAY for this supposed SUPERIOR training. If that is what the "BIG PICTURE" has turned into, then Soccer will always play 2nd fiddle to the other sports and maintain it's laughing-stock image on the International level.

Come on - It's soccer - a sport that is 90 % improvisational. What advantage does working with a coach with a certificate provide, as opposed to a skilled, experienced ex-player without one ?

Just saying ... Save your money people - you are going to need it.

Experienced, ex-player? Hmm, OK - where are they? If this is their passion, then why aren't there more "Ex-Player" Coaches? In this area, it seems that most ex-players do not want to get involved with coaching for training is where the money is . . . Mr. Riley is one example. He is now coachinga "U10 Select" team (an oxymoron is a sense), but I am sure there is a cost to that too.

Using your approach - you must have a problem with the Empire United's of the World that are getting bigger and bigger. I do not disagree that we want more players to be touched by soccer, but a Club size won't influence that ability, especially when you look at the Binghamton area. There are too many clubs for the size of this area, spreading the quality of the talent. It is not the "high school" experience that will get players the a scholarship, but the Premier/Travel experience that will. Strong teams get noticed, not strong players on mediocre teams. Just ask Marco, he will explain that process.

Come on - it is soccer, and it is generally cheaper than just about any other sport, but then again, your comment can be applied with any sport . . . .

What is a Not-for-Profit Corporation? include.jpg

A not-for-profit corporation is a corporation formed pursuant to the Not-for-Profit Corporation Law. Not-for-Profit Corporation Law Section 201 (Purposes) provides a list of general purposes for which a not-for-profit corporation may be formed. The Certificate of Incorporation of a not-for-profit corporation must set forth the specific purposes for which the corporation is being formed. A not-for-profit corporation may not be formed for pecuniary profit or financial gain and the corporation’s assets, income or profit may not be distributed to or otherwise used to benefit the corporation’s members, directors or officers except as permitted by the Not-for-Profit Corporation Law, e.g., as reasonable compensation for services to the corporation. (See Sections 102 (a)(5) and 515).

Are There Any Special Responsibilities Associated With Forming a Not-for-Profit Corporation?

The existence of the corporation begins upon the filing of the Certificate of Incorporation with the Department of State. After the corporate existence has begun, an organization meeting of the initial directors designated in the Certificate of Incorporation must be held for the purpose of adopting by-laws, electing directors and the transaction of any other business. (See Section 405 of the Not-for-Profit Corporation Law.)

The corporation is required to keep correct and complete books and records of account and must keep minutes of the proceedings of its members, board of directors and executive committee, if any. The corporation must also keep a record containing the names and addresses of all members, the number of capital certificates held by each member and the dates when they respectively became the owners of record thereof. (See Section 621 of the Not-for-Profit Corporation Law.)

In addition, a meeting of members must be held annually for the election of directors and the transaction of other business on a date fixed by or under the by-laws. (See Section 603 of the Not-for-Profit Corporation Law.)

Not-for-profit corporations formed for charitable purposes may be required to register with the Office of the Attorney General, Charities Bureau, Registration Section, 120 Broadway, New York, NY 10271. The telephone number is (212) 416-8415.

Who are the Board of Directors for UFC?

Section 102 of the Not-for-Profit Corporation Law: (Definition)

(a) As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires,

the term:

(5) "Corporation" or "domestic corporation" means a corporation (1)formed under this chapter, or existing on its effective date and theretofore formed under any other general statute or by any special act of this state, exclusively for a purpose or purposes, not for pecuniary profit or financial gain, for which a corporation may be formed under this chapter, and (2) no part of the assets, income or profit of which is distributable to, or enures to the benefit of, its members, directors or officers except to the extent permitted under this statute.

Section 515 of the Not-for-Profit Corporation Law: (Dividends prohibited)

(a) A corporation shall not pay dividends or distribute any part of

its income or profit to its members, directors, or officers.

( B) A corporation may pay compensation in a reasonable amount to

members, directors, or officers for services rendered, and may make

distributions of cash or property to members upon dissolution or final

liquidation as permitted by this chapter.

© A corporation may confer benefits upon members or nonmembers in

conformity with its purposes, may redeem its capital certificates or

subvention certificates, and may make other distributions of cash or

property to its members or former members, directors, or officers prior

to dissolution or final liquidation, as authorized by this article,

except when the corporation is currently insolvent or would thereby be

made insolvent or rendered unable to carry on its corporate purposes, or

when the fair value of the corporation's assets remaining after such

conferring of benefits, or redemption, or other distribution would be

insufficient to meet its liabilities.

Section 405 of the Not-for-Profit Corporation Law: (Organization Meetings)

(a) After the corporate existence has begun, an organization meeting

of the initial directors, or, if directors are not designated in the

certificate of incorporation, of the incorporator or incorporators,

shall be held within or without this state, for the purpose of adopting

by-laws, electing directors to hold office as provided in the

certificate of incorporation or the by-laws, and the transaction of such

other business as may come before the meeting. The meeting may be held

at the call of any director or, if directors are not designated in the

certificate of incorporation, any incorporator who shall give at least

five days' notice thereof by mail to each other director or

incorporator, which notice shall set forth the time and place of the

meeting. Notice need not be given to any director or incorporator who

submits a signed waiver of notice before or after the meeting, or who

attends the meeting without protesting, prior thereto or at its

commencement, the lack of notice to him. If there are more than two

directors or incorporators, a majority shall constitute a quorum and the

act of the majority of those present at a meeting at which a quorum is

present shall be the act of the directors or incorporators. For the

purposes of this section an incorporator or director may act in person

or by proxy signed by him or his attorney in fact.

( B) Any action permitted to be taken at an organization meeting may be

taken without a meeting if each director or, if directors are not

designated in the certificate of incorporation, each incorporator or his

attorney-in-fact signs an instrument setting forth the action so taken.

© If a designated director or an incorporator dies or is for any

reason unable to act, the other or others may act. If there is no

designated director or incorporator able to act, any person for whom an

incorporator is acting as agent may act in his stead, or if such other

person also dies or is for any reason unable to act, his legal

representative may act.

Section 621 of the Not-for-Profit Corporation Law: (Books and Records; Right of Inspection)

(a) Except as otherwise provided herein, every corporation shall keep,

at the office of the corporation, correct and complete books and records

of account and minutes of the proceedings of its members, board and

executive committee, if any, and shall keep at such office or at the

office of its transfer agent or registrar in this state, a list or

record containing the names and addresses of all members, the class or

classes of membership or capital certificates and the number of capital

certificates held by each and the dates when they respectively became

the holders of record thereof. A corporation may keep its books and

records of account in an office of the corporation without the state, as

specified in its certificate of incorporation. Any of the foregoing

books, minutes and records may be in written form or in any other form

capable of being converted into written form within a reasonable time.

( B) Any person who shall have been a member of record of a corporation

for at least six months immediately preceding his demand, or any person

holding, or thereunto authorized in writing by the holders of, at least

five percent of any class of the outstanding capital certificates, upon

at least five days written demand shall have the right to examine in

person or by agent or attorney, during usual business hours, its minutes

of the proceedings of its members and list or record of members and to

make extracts therefrom.

© An inspection authorized by paragraph ( B) may be denied to such

member or other person upon his refusal to furnish to the corporation,

its transfer agent or registrar an affidavit that such inspection is not

desired and will not be used for a purpose which is in the interest of a

business or object other than the business of the corporation and that

he has not within five years given, sold or offered for sale any list or

record of members of any domestic or foreign corporation or aided or

abetted, or attempted or offered to aid or abet, any person in procuring

any such list or record of members for any such purpose.

(d) Upon refusal by the corporation or by an officer or agent of the

corporation to permit an inspection of the minutes of the proceedings of

its members or of the list or record of members, as herein provided, the

person making the demand for inspection may apply to the supreme court

in the judicial district where the office of the corporation is located,

upon such notice as the court may direct, for an order directing the

corporation, its officer or agent to show cause why an order should not

be granted permitting such inspection by the applicant. Upon the return

day of the order to show cause, the court shall hear the parties

summarily, by affidavit or otherwise, and if it appears that the

applicant is qualified and entitled to such inspection, the court shall

grant an order compelling such inspection and awarding such further

relief as to the court may seem just and proper.

(e) Upon the written request of any person who shall have been a

member of record for at least six months immediately preceding his

request, or of any person holding, or thereunto authorized in writing by

the holders of, at least five percent of any class of the outstanding

capital certificates, the corporation shall give or mail to such member

an annual balance sheet and profit and loss statement or a financial

statement performing a similar function for the preceding fiscal year,

and, if any interim balance sheet or profit and loss or similar

financial statement has been distributed to its members or otherwise

made available to the public, the most recent such interim balance sheet

or profit and loss or similar financial statement. The corporation shall

be allowed a reasonable time to prepare such annual balance sheet and

profit and loss or similar financial statement.

(f) Nothing herein contained shall impair the power of courts to

compel the production for examination of the books and records of a

corporation.

(g) The books and records specified in paragraph (a) shall be prima

facie evidence of the facts therein stated in favor of the plaintiff in

any action or special proceeding against such corporation or any of its

officers, directors or members.

(h) Nothing in this chapter shall require an employee organization

certified or recognized for any collective negotiating unit of an

employer pursuant to article fourteen of the civil service law to

disclose the home address of any member or former member of such

organization.

Section 603 of the Not-for-Profit Corporation Law: (Meeting of Members)

(a) Meetings of members may be held at such place, within or without

this state, as may be fixed by or under the by-laws or, if not so fixed,

at the office of the corporation in this state.

( B) A meeting of the members shall be held annually for the election

of directors and the transaction of other business on a date fixed by or

under the by-laws. Failure to hold the annual meeting on the date so

fixed or to elect a sufficient number of directors to conduct the

business of the corporation shall not work a forfeiture or give cause

for dissolution of the corporation, except as provided in paragraph (a)

of section 1102 (Judicial dissolution; petition by directors or members;

petition in case of deadlock among directors or members).

© Special meetings of the members may be called by the board and by

such person or persons as may be authorized by the certificate of

incorporation or the by-laws. In any case, such meetings may be

convened by the members entitled to cast ten per cent of the total

number of votes entitled to be cast at such meeting, who may, in

writing, demand the call of a special meeting specifying the date and

month thereof, which shall not be less than two nor more than three

months from the date of such written demand. The secretary of the

corporation upon receiving the written demand shall promptly give notice

of such meeting, or if he fails to do so within five business days

thereafter, any member signing such demand may give such notice. The

meeting shall be held at the place fixed in the by-laws or, if not so

fixed, at the office of the corporation.

(d) A corporation may provide in its certificate of incorporation or

by-laws adopted by the members for the election of representatives or

delegates, who, when assembled within or without the state as directed

by the certificate of incorporation or the by-laws, shall have and may

exercise all of the powers, rights and privileges of members at an

annual meeting. When so exercising the powers, rights and privileges of

members, such representatives or delegates shall be subject in all

respects to the provisions of this chapter governing members.

Who are the Board of Directors for UFC?

Who cares? If you really want to know, hire an attorney and pay to draft a document to send to the address provided in the certificate. Of course, unless your are a regulatory agency or a member in good standing, I really think they don't have to respond. You obviously have an axe to grind - why don't you put your energy to good use by helping someone in need instead wasting energy, bandwidth, etc. There is not much you can do, just accept that and stop complaining and moaning abou it, If there was, then other clubs would have been gone along time ago!

Just curious, were there any UFC teams in the tournament at the dome this weekend that won their division? No, there were not. Did any UFC teams even make it to the finals? Only 1 and they got creamed. Sorry UFC you have no talent. Again, all the real soccer players left for real clubs, only those that are shallow and are only in it for the free crap are still involved in the loser UFC club.

Just the fact that you put any merit once o ever in a tournament at the dome shows just how ignorant you are to the big picture. If Im not mistaken the UFC U18 girls won the NEWSS showcase in long island last fall and the U16s were second. Where were the real local clubs? Oh thats right in the dome playing each other and thinking it matters. As for your no talent comment I think UFC will have a couple of their premier teams in the tourney next weekend so we can see how GBSA stacks up then

Just the fact that you put any merit once o ever in a tournament at the dome shows just how ignorant you are to the big picture. If Im not mistaken the UFC U18 girls won the NEWSS showcase in long island last fall and the U16s were second. Where were the real local clubs? Oh thats right in the dome playing each other and thinking it matters. As for your no talent comment I think UFC will have a couple of their premier teams in the tourney next weekend so we can see how GBSA stacks up then

You did not win the NEWSS showcase you won the weakest division of the club bracket, you weren't even near the top flights of that tournament. Your u18 Girls were in the bottom bracket, there were 12 divisions/6 levels and your supposed premier team was playing club teams from East Meadow and other small groups. The top teams like Albertson were no where around when you were playing. Hell the Albany Alleycats were two levels above you and they aren't an elite club anymore. Stop trying to act like your club has had success when e all know the truth of what is going on.

"Once o ever"? Really?

Where were the UFC kids a few weeks ago, when all three GBSA teams who entered the Albany Halfmoon tournament went undefeated and won their divisions? Oh, that's right. They weren't there. How about last weekend, when the GBSA U10 boys beat the UFC U12's?

Talk all you want. I'll stick with GBSA.

You did not win the NEWSS showcase you won the weakest division of the club bracket, you weren't even near the top flights of that tournament. Your u18 Girls were in the bottom bracket, there were 12 divisions/6 levels and your supposed premier team was playing club teams from East Meadow and other small groups. The top teams like Albertson were no where around when you were playing. Hell the Albany Alleycats were two levels above you and they aren't an elite club anymore. Stop trying to act like your club has had success when e all know the truth of what is going on.

Things become much clearer when the facts are presented. I doubt Rich pitts will counter with an argument now.

"Once o ever"? Really?

Where were the UFC kids a few weeks ago, when all three GBSA teams who entered the Albany Halfmoon tournament went undefeated and won their divisions? Oh, that's right. They weren't there. How about last weekend, when the GBSA U10 boys beat the UFC U12's?

Talk all you want. I'll stick with GBSA.

Soccer is played with 11 players on a big field, where will the gbsa teams be today when the real soccer teams play in the only real soccer being played in the domes this year. GBSA dosent even have a team qualified to play in todays tourney! Will gbsa be playing thruway and state cup this year?

Soccer is played with 11 players on a big field, where will the gbsa teams be today when the real soccer teams play in the only real soccer being played in the domes this year. GBSA dosent even have a team qualified to play in todays tourney! Will gbsa be playing thruway and state cup this year?

For the hundreth time, it's spelled DOESN'T.

And where, pray tell, are the GBSA kids (or ANY other local teams, for that matter) supposed to play full-field soccer in the middle of the winter??

The GBSA Select program is just starting out. Give it two years and they will have teams going to the State Cup.

For the hundreth time, it's spelled DOESN'T.

And where, pray tell, are the GBSA kids (or ANY other local teams, for that matter) supposed to play full-field soccer in the middle of the winter??

The GBSA Select program is just starting out. Give it two years and they will have teams going to the State Cup.

Theres full field soccer all day today at the dome! Empire, Rochester futbol club, Rising star, carantou, UFC premier. Where is gbsa? Just face it GBSA is a club level team period, not qualified to play any more than that!!

Uh the dome today, Afrims in Albany, the Hudson valley dome, Webster, Buffallo? The same place the UFC teams play full field in the winter. Once again your ignorance to the whole soccer scene is obvious, now go pat little Jimmy on the head and assure him his team is good because they won a 6v6 tourney in Binghamton

It is ridiculous to read about the comments from the anti-UFC crowds. They try to make it sound as if there are shenanigans at the Club because minutes are not posted or Board members are not posted, or whatever issue they think is important. So, I went to find look for similar information with local and distant clubs and some of you will not beleive what I discovered. Other than VYSA (lisitng Board members), not one Club had posted minutes and if they did, they were fairly outdated.

In the end, it really does not matter - it is like going grocery shopping - you have many choices - if you want to go to GBSA, that does not compete in the local Broome County league, Thruway, Colonial, or outdoor tournaments, then fine - have fun with that. Just remember, almost ALL winter indoor tournaments are not quality tournaments - going to Halfmoon is like playing rec/club teams - been there, done that and I won't waste my parents money to attend another weak tournament. Once again, indoor tournaments (unless Afrims) are not recognized by tournament rankings. Sure it will give you bragging rights, but so what. As for outdoors, GBSA has tried to run its own outdoor leagues only to have THEIR teams not show up to scehduled games.

By the way, GBSA "Select" is new, how do you think Bahij got the money for that - you can thank UFC for entering into a long-term contract and giving GBSC gauranteed income stream.

As a previous poster mentioned, there is not a local soccer program that has the coaching talent/credentials as UFC (like it or not, objectively it is the truth). 535 players and growing (in its first year, too) - give it time - but the bottom line, no matter has ticked or mouthy the anti-UFC parents are, just remember that this is for the kids. We can all disagree about whose philosphy or training staff is better or worse, but this is really for the kids. I really do not care about the shenanigans that occur between GBSC (for profit) and GBSA (non-profit), I do care that as spectators that the kids play fair and are enjoying the game.

Yes - there is a College Showcase tournament with many college coaches attending at the Dome. UFC Leadership set this up! Full field too! All very high quality talent - but wait I did not see GBSA Select on the schedule . . . they must be tired from winning recreational soccer tournaments . . .

Good morning Shane. Nice to see you on so early on a Sunday morning. Someone must have struck a nerve with the NEWWS post. Of course you never mentioned a thing about that in your 2000 word post. Bottom line UFC is Biggest dog in a the smallest yard in NYW. They are a joke to every other major NYW club. The fact that GBSA has better coaches and all the youger kids does not bode well for UFC. Do the math these older teams will soon be done.

Archived