UE School Budget

Tazz

Even you are confused - the maximum they can ask for is a 2% tax levy - that is not the same as a 2% tax increase, it might be more or less, and that number cannot be determined until the final budget is settled, which it isn't. Congress still needs to negotiate changes to the governor's budget. It's not cut and dry like you present it.

It is more cut and dry than you suggest. I don’t see what Cuomo’s budget has to do with the 2% max levy they can ask for. It might have something to do with what UE gets in state aid which is probably less than the 4% they said. About what they can expect total from both sources is 1.7 million or less. The salaries are scheduled to go up by 2.3 million benefits by almost a like amount. Now what middle ground are they going to come to? It sounds like the increases for both benefits and salary are more apiece then they are getting in total income increases. They must have someone that teaches there that took a business class and they know it won’t be possible for their union to get what they want any longer.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is the unions. They keep it up and we'll be like Greece soon.

The teachers union is pretty well stuck at this time. They still expect the yearly raises and their benefits to be kept at the current levels but with the state cutting back their support and the new 2% maximum that really can’t be done without cutting positions and programs every year.You see what the UE budget summary suggests be done and that still needs an over 10% increase.I’m sure all the other area districts are in the same position.This is another bad year to be a young teacher.

The problem is the unions. They keep it up and we'll be like Greece soon.

The problem is the unions. At UE and in Greece.

In Greece the majority voted themselve government handouts untill the well went dry. At UE they poured more into that damn football field that floods every year...new lights....etc....

The voters got what they wanted, and they were stupid enough to believe that someone else would pay for everything, either the state, or the Feds, or someone would make "them" pay........ Morons, there is NO FREE LUNCH .....and if there is...There's a hook in it with a sucker ready to bite.

No one else will pay for what YOU want.....Go ahead, tax the rich just like great Britain did, they pushed it up that one notch to many and the likes of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and others with money moved out. The Soviet Union took it all from the rich and after 6 decades they went broke.

The enemy is us, we must run a government responsibly and start reducing spending on what we cannot afford. Think of money like oil, when it is gone, it is gone, a limited resource, and the less of it there is, the more it costs.

The problem is the unions. At UE and in Greece.

In Greece the majority voted themselve government handouts untill the well went dry. At UE they poured more into that damn football field that floods every year...new lights....etc....

The voters got what they wanted, and they were stupid enough to believe that someone else would pay for everything, either the state, or the Feds, or someone would make "them" pay........ Morons, there is NO FREE LUNCH .....and if there is...There's a hook in it with a sucker ready to bite.

No one else will pay for what YOU want.....Go ahead, tax the rich just like great Britain did, they pushed it up that one notch to many and the likes of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and others with money moved out. The Soviet Union took it all from the rich and after 6 decades they went broke.

The enemy is us, we must run a government responsibly and start reducing spending on what we cannot afford. Think of money like oil, when it is gone, it is gone, a limited resource, and the less of it there is, the more it costs.

What about the billions in corporate welfare given to rich corporations every year? Some of them don't even pay taxes. That's a good thing, right? I mean, our tax dollars should go towards helping corporations that don't need it, not people that do.

Ask how much the "coach" makes. Eliminate that and add the cost of bussing and paying Endicott tax money to a Vestal business and you're off to a good start at saving the school some money. Just one part of a solution...and a good one.

what qualifications does this "coach" have? i cannot seem to find any.

What about the billions in corporate welfare given to rich corporations every year? Some of them don't even pay taxes. That's a good thing, right? I mean, our tax dollars should go towards helping corporations that don't need it, not people that do.

First of all the billions given to business are in the form of taxes not paid not money given. Well except if you mean the loans that they have given that the company went bankrupt on. Now schools survive on taxes paid by the people and they seem to of thrived on that in the past. Now they have retirements and other benefits that none in the business world have or ever have had. Now that the error is being corrected we still see the union wanting expected raises and benefits that there is no money for.I expect to see this continue until the last union member that is getting these absurd benefits is replaced.

I agree look at that "green" company we put billions into, I think it is spelled Solyndra, and there are many others. If you don't tax the daylights out of a business, you should not have to government fund the capitalization. If the banks could set there own lending standards like a business, instead of fron for government forced social engineering (making loans based on equality and ethnic issues), the taxpayers could let the banks go under.

It does not matter where the politician is on the political spectrum, they are buying votes with tax dollars. Legislate in favor of the widget makers, you have bougt their vote, legislate for a union, you have bought their vote, ligislate in favor of favorable regulation for -OR- against an industry, you have bought votes. Upon leaving office pres Eisenhower warned of the military industrial complex and the political involvements, he was right.

Set a reasonable tax structure for business, and leave it the hell alone, the government will be "harvesting" money from it every year, not bailing it out every 20 years. If the industry cannot survive, perhaps it would be best to let it go instead of bailing it out so a few congressmen and senators can keep their political dynasties well monied.

The only effective reform will be political reform. These are supposed to be short term governmental SERVICE political jobs. Someone at the end of their days would run for election upon retirement and serve for a while, not do it to collect a gaurnteed pension and financial securityfor their dynasty.

If term limits can be established, it would be a very good start. Also voting for someone based on their service potential, not their bedroom matters would also go a long way. Vote for people based on what they have to offer, not a ballot line, or a catchy slogan, or what jokes are made on a tv talk show. This goes for both the libs,dems,repbubs,n& conserv.

I agree look at that "green" company we put billions into, I think it is spelled Solyndra

Billions? :blink:

If I had a dollar for every misinformed post on here I'd be a millionaire.

It was a loan by by the department of Energy and the Treasury. Thanks for two more dollars. :rolleyes:

They filed for bankrupcy, so the loan will not be paid back in full. Also, the DOE and the treasury are funded by tax dollars, so we the taxpayers get stuck with the bill.

They filed for bankrupcy, so the loan will not be paid back in full. Also, the DOE and the treasury are funded by tax dollars, so we the taxpayers get stuck with the bill.

It was a loan by by the department of Energy and the Treasury. Thanks for two more dollars.

How does it feel to be a failure?

http://articles.bost...ndra-loan-mails

You owe me another dollar. -_-

What exactly are you trying to prove? That the government gave a loan to a company that had little chance of paying it back? That it was foolish to risk over a half a billion dollars on a company that had little chance of making a profit? Ok it was a poorly considered loan and others were made just like it. Now the thread is about the UE school district and it’s associated costs please try to stick to subjects that have something to do with that?

What exactly are you trying to prove? That the government gave a loan to a company that had little chance of paying it back? That it was foolish to risk over a half a billion dollars on a company that had little chance of making a profit? Ok it was a poorly considered loan and others were made just like it. Now the thread is about the UE school district and it’s associated costs please try to stick to subjects that have something to do with that?

Start at post #111 and read forward.

Start at post #111 and read forward.

I’ve read the whole thread. The rant that you were part of started at post 102 when someone compared the union to the problem in Greece. Then in post 106 someone took it further off tract saying it was ok because we give billions to corporations. Then two posters went further off subject posting about the bad loan to Solyndra. You spent a page of posts arguing about who gave the loan or even if it was a loan and then what agency gave it. None of it has anything to do with the UE school budget in any way.

I’ve read the whole thread. The rant that you were part of started at post 102 when someone compared the union to the problem in Greece. Then in post 106 someone took it further off tract saying it was ok because we give billions to corporations. Then two posters went further off subject posting about the bad loan to Solyndra. You spent a page of posts arguing about who gave the loan or even if it was a loan and then what agency gave it. None of it has anything to do with the UE school budget in any way.

Welcome to BCVoice.

The teachers union is pretty well stuck at this time. They still expect the yearly raises and their benefits to be kept at the current levels but with the state cutting back their support and the new 2% maximum that really can’t be done without cutting positions and programs every year.You see what the UE budget summary suggests be done and that still needs an over 10% increase.I’m sure all the other area districts are in the same position.This is another bad year to be a young teacher.

It's outcome is pretty sad, but the funny part is the teachers have to pay union dues which go right into electing democrats - like Andy Kumo. He then turns around and gets thousadnds of them fired.

How many teachers were let go locally last year? How many this year? And how many more next year?

I can only imagine the outcry if a Republican had tried to cut even 1 teacher's job in the state.

Archived