Boxing Fans - Remember this name: Gennady Golovkin

27 Time World Champions

I grew up watching Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard and there was no better time than the 80's watching guys like Hagler, Duran, Leonard and Hearns and a young Mike Tyson. I've slowly started to get back into the sport. Like everybody else I want to see PacMan fight Mayweather, but won't get my hopes up. Last night, while watching HBO, this middleweight just blew me away. His name is Gennady Golovkin and I don't think there's a fighter from 154lbs to 168lbs who can beat him.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Boxing is going down. No one watching anymore. Its all UFC now. Johnny Bones Jones.

UFC reached it's peak in 2009. Look at the ratings. It will always be around as a niche sport, but it's right now as popular as it will ever be ... a niche sport, successful but not mainstream.

It got it's best ratings when a pro wrestler crossed over into UFC. You can see that makes it a novelty, not a mainstream sport.

• 11 months later...

Told ya so! GGG is a beast!!

In all my years of watching boxing, I don't think I've ever seen someone get KO'd like this. Golovkin being able to take that shot while throwing and still landing a flush right hand with that much power is just amazing.

I know Geale doesn't punch that hard, but getting hit while winding up like that usually throws even the best boxers punches a bit off, even if it's only a grazing shot. Not GGG. That right hand wasn't even affected. Now I know why none of the big names in the division want to fight him. Maybe Cotto gets him next? I doubt it but I'd pay to see that fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksN2knhSgoo

Archived