Campaign Finance Reform

ginger

re:Lawrence Norden PSB today..."Janet Napolitano described how being a publicly funded candidate allowed her to operate in the best interest of her constituants rather than being swayed by pharmaceutical companies."

Because she just couldn't bring herself to act that way without money from someone, anyone, doesn't matter?

Shrug, the truth is money = ads = votes. I mean look at Sheldon Adelson, 70 million donated this campaign. From one person. If you don't think donations like that don't buy influence...

The truth is we need campaign finance reforms across the board. We need to limit donations from every special interest group, be it union, private citizen or corporation. We need better accounting of who's spending money where etc.

I don't think starving the social security fund is correct, but I do think no private funds (or very limited, think 100$ campaign donation maximum which must be reported on your taxes) as more than fine. I think we'd see drastically less smearing from both sides and they'd have to focus on the issues more, instead of dumping insane amounts of money on each new little thing each day.

I believe that all campaign should be provided by the federal government and that no private funds should be allowed. The source of the funding should be the social security funds.

Not SS, but an across the board "election" tax...it is the only solution to this most pressing of issues.

I really don't see how using taxpayer dollars to fund campaigns changes a darn thing. NY will still be the highest taxed state in the country. Just what we need, another bureaucracy( office, staff, pensions) to pay for. No! I really don't think the government should be allowed to DEMAND I financially support political candidates.

Campaigns should be publicly financed. This would end the corrupt "campaign contributions."

You think so?

I don't have any info right now, but later on I'll go looking...since NYC went to publicly funded campaigns how many politicians have been involved with corruption?

You think so? i don't have any info right now, but later on I'll go looking...since NYC went to publicly funded campaigns how many corrupt politicians have been involved with corruption?

http://maplight.org/

There is the problem...the founders would flip DELETED if they knew how quickly this country is marching towards fascism.

http://maplight.org/

There is the problem...the founders would flip DELETED if they knew how quickly this country is marching towards fascism.

Ack Marius! You didn't give me time to edit^!LOL Thanks for the link though. I hope your classes are going well this year.

So far, from the 2010 NYC preliminary budget of the NYC Campaign Finance Board, just as I thought. $11,079,943 total budget. 84 employees Salaries-$6,257,943 Other costs- $3,822,000 ELECTION FUNDING BUDGET-$1 million dollars. Governor Cuomo, you want to do this for the entire state? Shame on you.

Campaigns should be publicly financed. This would end the corrupt "campaign contributions."

You know, I thought I'd start in my own old neighborhood of Queens but there were so many corrupt politicians I'd be here forever. Public financing obviously HASN'T worked to reduce corruption.

Term limits worked out great in NYC ! Just ask Mayor Bloomberg who is on his THIRD term. For more info, it's a quick read...NYC campaign Finance Board, A Brief History.

• 7 months later...

You know, I thought I'd start in my own old neighborhood of Queens but there were so many corrupt politicians I'd be here forever. Public financing obviously HASN'T worked to reduce corruption.

I just remembered I had started this thread. To continue...on Friday YNN announced Shirley Huntley D-Queens was operating as a NYS Senator while wired. Hey Preet Bharara! How does it feel to know everday in your job, by definition of doing your job correctly on the criminal side, YOU ARE THE PROXIMATE CAUSE FOR AN ENTIRE STATE LOSING THEIR SOVEREIGNTY? I want the votes of Castro and Huntley stricken from the record. Any legislation that turned on these 2 votes should be revisited and brought back to the table. I'm so glad that while Governor Cuomo is busy writing a book, a federal prosecutor is determining the history of NEW YORK STATE.The end does not justify the means.

John Sampson D-Brooklyn Indicted today. Another beneficiary of NYC's fair election public campaign funds. How much did he get just from NYC taxpayers in matching funds? This is what you want for the entirety of New York? Was he wearing a wire or not?

John Sampson D-Brooklyn Indicted today. Another beneficiary of NYC's fair election public campaign funds. How much did he get just from NYC taxpayers in matching funds? This is what you want for the entirety of New York? Was he wearing a wire or not?

Cuomo says that he wants "fair" campaign funding. Does that mean that he was elected unfairly? I would guess the answer has to be YES!

Oh Darn, not wired. Using his own mole to "collect data". Come On Preet! Give me another couple of wired democrat senators. Let's make some history! UPSET!!!! :D

Cuomo says that he wants "fair" campaign funding. Does that mean that he was elected unfairly? I would guess the answer has to be YES!

:blink: LOL :)

Guest RogerRebuttal

private companies fund republican campaigns... where do they get their money from??? they obviously overcharge the public for product rendered if they have gazillions to throw around to get politicians in their pocket. What price tag do you think you can place on a teacher, fireman, police officer, congressmen, senator etc. ??? what price tag would you put on a US soldier compared to a CEO?

If the system was changed so that only Individual Citizens were allowed to contribute $100 and allow no contributions from business, unions etc... it would help clean up the influence peddling that we see today.

We should also not sell TV and radio time for politics. We should grant allow all individuals running for office the same amount of TV and radio time. We cannot continue to sell our political offices to the highest spender...

If the system was changed so that only Individual Citizens were allowed to contribute $100 and allow no contributions from business, unions etc... it would help clean up the influence peddling that we see today.

We should also not sell TV and radio time for politics. We should grant allow all individuals running for office the same amount of TV and radio time. We cannot continue to sell our political offices to the highest spender...

What do you mean by"grant allow"? Do you mean my tax dollars should pay for political advertisements?