Newtown, Ct., NRA Now Has a Real Problem

Guest Guest

<p>As the OP, I want to make it clear, as I did in the original post, that I am not anti gun. I also am not anti NRA nor do I believe that banning all guns will ever happen.  I do believe, though, that this event will likely result in revised gun control laws well short of a complete ban.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I am going to be very interested to see how the NRA "spins" this and what practical suggestions will be made to address and hopefully reduce the chances of a re occurrence.  The NTSB and the FAA make changes after virtually every airplane accident.  I see our gun regulations being revised in the same way after calm and studied consideration.</p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made my point, now time to move on to something more interesting. good luck to you all. thanks for your time.John

Not really. Your posts were ignorant and sophomoric.

<p>As the OP, I want to make it clear, as I did in the original post, that I am not anti gun. I also am not anti NRA nor do I believe that banning all guns will ever happen. &nbsp;I do believe, though, that this event will likely result in revised gun control laws well short of a complete ban.</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>I am going to be very interested to see how the NRA &quot;spins&quot; this and what practical suggestions will be made to address and hopefully reduce the chances of a&nbsp;re occurrence. &nbsp;The NTSB and the FAA make changes after virtually every airplane accident. &nbsp;I see our gun regulations being revised in the same way after calm and studied consideration.</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

I can tell you what they will say. Gun free zones don't do shit. One armed and trained CCW holder could have ended this tragedy before such a terrible loss of life. And they would be correct on both points

I do believe, though, that this event will likely result in revised gun control laws

Given what we know now, I don't think much will change nationally. Maybe there will be something in CT and even more security in schools there and elsewhere, but I don't see a law that could have prevented this. It was already illegal for him for have a gun. If anything the incidents in Aurora and CT show a severe disregard for keeping tabs on the mentally ill in this country. Too many are falling through the cracks.

That genie is out of the bottle. People WANT the government to care for them. Pass responsibility to others. Explains why Obama won again.

I'm sure we'll hear more about the guns. But why did his mother have multiple registered guns in the house (if accurate), when this Loon had access? Did she let him shoot them?

Now Bloomberg is calling for Obama to act on guns...

The real issue is let parents parent their kids .. time outs - haaaah .. i am not saying beat your children, but let parents do what needs to be done instead of letting government official interfer .. did we have that in the 60s 70s even 80s . DSS is called by 10 year olds cause they dont like the fact that mommy took their cell phone away and make up crap .. empower family .. give us our rights back to repremand our children and make them show respect instead of empowering them to grow up like this kid must have.. sickening .. absolutely sickening that this kid could do this .. to his mom, dad and all the families effected.

The NRA didn't put a gun (or guns) in the reach of this nut. So, yeah, the NRA didn't cause this. The US Const. allowed his mom to have a gun - not the NRA. Unfortunately, she didn't take proper measures at home. NRA didn't make his parents split up. The NRA didn't control what meds this punk took or didn't take. And the NRA didn't control how much shoot 'em up Xbox he played in the basement.

Of course you don't. :rolleyes:

Guest ghost of X-mas future

All that is quite possible. BUT doesn't excuse leaving him home alone with a stash of weapons in reach. Enabling evil is a losing proposition.

We can guess the mom had many problems with this kid and expecting her to control this monster is unrealistic.

I can tell you what they will say. Gun free zones don't do shit. One armed and trained CCW holder could have ended this tragedy before such a terrible loss of life. And they would be correct on both points

OK. But I just don't think the public is going to buy that argument any more. The extreme of that argument would be to arm all teachers and staff. That is not likely.

No reasonable person is asking for complete ban on guns. I do foresee changes coming that will do something to reduce the likelihood of a repeat occurrence such as CT. much like the NTSB and FAA respond to airplane accidents.

I feel the same way. Maybe his mom bought guns (he picked out) and let him shoot them? Maybe that was the one thing he liked? I hope I'm wrong - but as pointed out, these aren't the average weapons for an average woman.

And I'm sure we'll find out more about he mental condition. Was he on the mind-altering meds for most of his life?

The entire problem is a mental healthcare system that fails the people that need it most. From the joker to this case, these individuals have been drugged up and allowed into mainstream society. God knows what their shrink was telling them combined with the drugs. I do have a real issue with mom. A Sig, a Glock and a Bushmaster. How many female school teachers do you know have weapons like these ??? Initial reports were of two handgun. Later the Bushmaster appeared. The shootings occurred in two rooms and it's had to miss a Bushmaster. Unless mom was a member of a gun club, there's not too many place to shoot down there. Also the choice of these weapons are pro. I mean the average person wouldn't choose these due to cost and these are "choice" picks. Was mom ex-military or police? Most female prefer the lighter frames and calibers. And, this is important, if your kid had mental problems, wouldn't you lock these weapons up? I was very amazed at the supposed tears Obama was shedding. It looked more like he was wiping a dust speck. I saw no tears, period. I did however see his opportunity to disarm America. That is something he has stressed at all cost. Do I feel bad about these kids, damn, yes. Do I trust Obama or my government, hell no. Do I think the mental health care system in this country is flawed, damn yes !!

if anything, maybe parents will do a better job about securing weapons. that's the only answer that makes logical sense.

OK. But I just don't think the public is going to buy that argument any more. The extreme of that argument would be to arm all teachers and staff. That is not likely.

No reasonable person is asking for complete ban on guns. I do foresee changes coming that will do something to reduce the likelihood of a repeat occurrence such as CT. much like the NTSB and FAA respond to airplane accidents.

I have a question that maybe one of you can answer. We know a heck of a lot about the Newtown shooter. Father, brother mother, etc. However there is nothing that I can find about the Portland shooter? Father, mother or relatives.

Anyone have any ideas why?

We are now finding out that apparently the rifle was found in the car and not used. The two handguns were found at the scene. These are high capacity weapons that never should have been reachable by a person with mental issues. Further reports indicate that the family had quite the cache of high end weapons. It still strikes me odd that mom had these top of the line "pro" pieces. A "mom" normally would own these as women usually like a lighter smaller framed weapon. Unless she was ex-military or Police these are strange choices. Why weren't all these guns locked up? Again we witness a mentally unstable person who is mainstreamed rather then under constant care. Our mental health care system needs to step back and re-evaluate itself. I would like to know if this shooter played first person shooter games. They could have set him off. Anyone who has a problem with reality needs to be kept away from such games. This whole thing is a horrific mess but there is more than enough blame to go around. Society needs to look at itself as part of the problem.

The 30 year War on Drugs certainly did the job, right? I'm sure a War on Guns will be equally ineffective on keeping guns out of the hands of those wishing to do evil acts.

The 30 year War on Drugs certainly did the job, right? I'm sure a War on Guns will be equally ineffective on keeping guns out of the hands of those wishing to do evil acts.

Who said there is a war on guns?

Oh - the NRA did.

Silly puppet.

No matter what your position is on gun control, Newtown is going to be a game changer.

Maybe, maybe not. I thought the same after the killings at the Amish schoolhouse 6 years ago would have been a game-changer, but alas not one iota.

Frankly, we are too far gone with the amount of guns owned in this country. No matter what we could do to control either guns or bullets will just create other problems with a blooming black-market to counter act any control.

The only thing that could fix this is finding a genie in a bottle and making one wish to instantly have all firearms world-wide not registered to the law enforcement agencies would be gone from the planet.

Sadly, neither will happen. A gun-control system in this country would take perhaps more than a decade of continual debate in our congress and that is just not going to happen.

We are stuck with this. Events like what occurred yesterday are going to continue to happen, and it sucks.

Who said there is a war on guns?

Oh - the NRA did.

Silly puppet.

A war on guns is much more of a reality than the so called war on women the libtard left likes to squeal about.

As the nation grieves for twenty schoolchildren gunned down in Connecticut, the religious right has the audacity to blame America's public schools for protecting students' religious freedom.

The American Family Association's leading spokesman used his radio show to argue that God allows violence in public schools because the Supreme Court has prohibited mandatory school prayers.

And speaking live on Fox News, Mike Huckabee said that this shooting happened because "we've systematically removed God from our schools." He added, "Maybe we ought to let [God] in on the front end, and we wouldn't have to call him to show up when it's all said and done."

These words are an insult to the victims, an embarrassment to sincere Christians, and a dangerous distraction from the national scourge of gun violence. Hateful and unchristian rhetoric like this has no place on a major television news network.

Tell Fox News to take Mike Huckabee off the air unless he apologizes immediately.

Archived