Shane Hurd out at U-E?

Guest Guest

section 4 championships....wow that is impressive! Against perrienial weak teams. They only have 3 teams in Section 4 A for the love of God. Hurd won because of talent, not coaching or strategy. Look what happens when he plays similar talent, he normally loses. Why think he could never get outvof first round of playoffs, until this year. UE was fortunate to get Nottingham instead of Jamesville Dewitt.

I like how you contradict yourself. you talk down on the section championships hurd won because there aren't a lot of teams in the area due to the small population. but then you talk about his losses in the state playoffs which were almost always against teams with a school population of almost double UE's when they were in AA. how can you say those games were against similar talent? just because two teams are in AA doesnt mean they have a similar school population. yes, this year they did drop down to A but they still beat Nottingham, which is SIMILAR TALENT which you said he normally loses.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but then you talk about his losses in the state playoffs which were almost always against teams with a school population of almost double UE's when they were in AA.

Sorry, not true.

in 2009 U-E lost to Baldwinsville. U-E was 1036 and BV 1479 enrollment

2007 West Gennnesee 1301, U-E 1082

2006 Auburn 1218, U-E 1116

2005 CBA 373, U-E not known, but over 1000

Pre-Hurd

2003 Corcoran 1201, U-E over 1000

2000 Henninger 1369, U-E over 1000

1999 Henninger 1415, U-E over 1000

Guest finds gncysi

I heard police picked up 2 ue basketball players for burglury, and breaking and entering. What a coincidence - they played for Hurd too...says a lot about their coaches too.

I played for Shane Hurd and I've turned out quite well. So did the guy who lives next to me who will be heading to Upstate Medical. Don't make sweeping generalizations, fool. I learned a lot of life lessons from Shane that I'm sure I will pass on when I find myself in leadership positions.

Whoever they bring in, I hope they bring back the tradition of Orange helmets and black on white stripe. Get rid of these tangerine colored helmets. We are not Texas A&M, or Tennessee, or Together. We are the Orange and Black Tigers.

Whoever they bring in, I hope they bring back the tradition of Orange helmets and black on white stripe. Get rid of these tangerine colored helmets. We are not Texas A&M, or Tennessee, or Together. We are the Orange and Black Tigers.

The team of your heart wins one state playoff game a decade and when it comes to looking for a new head coach you're concerned about the color of their helmets?

I'll vote for JC's Dienhart when it comes to worst.

It's amazing JC has kept him this long. Three quality coaches in the past 2-3 years have walked away because of him and daddy.

-------------

Good Lord! If Alger is elevated to head coach you can forget about progress for UE's Football program. Hurd is gone thankfully, now is the time to bring in someone who can actually coach and motivate. Next step is to get rid of the assistant coaches. This group was inept! Please don't tell me that this years team overachiever. They beat 2 stinky division teams to get into the playoffs and were fortunate to get to play a Nottingham team that was not very good, when they finally ran into a team with similar talent, they got out coached and out played. Having watched them for the majority of their games this year, I have to agree with another writer that the coaches did not have a clue on how to make adjustments, and had players in wrong positions. Thet never practiced the basics like tackling.

ALger, who was the OC, wouldn't know what a slant or hook was if it hit him in the face. He continually threw to a end who has stone hands and if something was not working he could change things up. He would run the same offense and rarely had new or special plays installed for a specific opponent.

Please do not let UE's record this year disguise what a very weak coaching staff UE has had for the last several year. There is a reason that Hurd could not get his teams out of the first round of state playoffs. In addition, One of Hurds assistant (who also coaches JV baseball) should not even be around youths to begin due to his total lack of self control, he is a verbal abuser and creep. What a horrid human being.

There is a great opportunity that presents itself, let's hope UE's AD does the right thing, but I am not holding my breath!

Let's get one of ME's assistants (didn't a couple of them come out of UE)

What is the latest news and rumors. Who is appying for the coveted job that sends the next local player to the Super Bowl.

What is the latest news and rumors. Who is appying for the coveted job that sends the next local player to the Super Bowl.

last year a few good players did not go out for football. I wonder if a new coach will alter the decison of speedy receivers CJ and Miles to go outr for the team this year. How did the surgery for Sammy Davis go. Is he playing football next season?

last year a few good players did not go out for football. I wonder if a new coach will alter the decison of speedy receivers CJ and Miles to go outr for the team this year. How did the surgery for Sammy Davis go. Is he playing football next season?

When Shane first got the job he did a good job of getting kids out for the program. Shane's numbers dropped way off as his tenure got longer. The new coach will have to get more bodies out for football then Shane's staff did.

I don't know about how good a football coach Alger is. I will tell you he is very good basketball coach.

He has had a great record since he took over the program. Much better then it has been in years.

Last night U.E. started 4 Juniors. None of the starters looked much taller then 6 feet. They were not good shooters. But they won and are playing Binghamton in the final.

Guest Charlie

Um.... Elmira stinks, their opponent last nite.

Elmira beat M.E. Alger beat Binghamton once this year and Alger had a good won lost record with this small team that doesn't shoot well from the outside. If one of the other coaches before Alger had this talent they would have been 5-13

Ed Redman was offered the head job at UE before it was given to Shane Hurd. Ed was very successful at Lansing and did as well as you can at Ithaca. He now coaches at Western Albemarle High School in Viriginia.

Former Oxford star Mike Chrystie was board approvd to be the next head football coach at Norwich a couple of weeks back. Mike was the head coach at Oxford for a few seasons before taking an assistant position at Norwich it should be interesting to see if he fairs any better with the Purple Tornado's then he did with Blackhawks.

As far as who U.E. hires I am surprised they have waited this long to post it. You would think if they had an in house candidate then it would be very simple to promote from with in. This makes me think they will go out of district to find there next head coach.

Ed Redman was offered the head job at UE before it was given to Shane Hurd. Ed was very successful at Lansing and did as well as you can at Ithaca. He now coaches at Western Albemarle High School in Viriginia.

Former Oxford star Mike Chrystie was board approvd to be the next head football coach at Norwich a couple of weeks back. Mike was the head coach at Oxford for a few seasons before taking an assistant position at Norwich it should be interesting to see if he fairs any better with the Purple Tornado's then he did with Blackhawks.

As far as who U.E. hires I am surprised they have waited this long to post it. You would think if they had an in house candidate then it would be very simple to promote from with in. This makes me think they will go out of district to find there next head coach.

Chryste won't have to be very good to be better than the guy before him. He was a complete loser and a dufus

Hurd as QB coach at any level is a joke. Think about this, you are a high school footbal coach you have a senior transfer in who is 6'5", 225lbs who has D1 offers, think you would be happy? Not Hurd he chooses to start a kid who is going nowhere, and as soon as he has pressure on him throws the ball up for grabs. "Whats your name, who's your daddy", that is what the UE philosophy is. And how much money does your family donate to the athletic program. Some things never change, its been that weay for years!!!

Elmira beat M.E. Alger beat Binghamton once this year and Alger had a good won lost record with this small team that doesn't shoot well from the outside. If one of the other coaches before Alger had this talent they would have been 5-13

First off Elmira got lucky to beat ME. ME played terrible and Elmira shot incredibly well. ME the. Man handled them the next game. Also, UE should be much better than they are. They have the highest scorer, two decent bigs, a good player in Barwari, and some good role players. They lost one bad game to Vestal that I know of... He is not a great coach. Not a bad one, but not great.

First off Elmira got lucky to beat ME. ME played terrible and Elmira shot incredibly well. ME the. Man handled them the next game. Also, UE should be much better than they are. They have the highest scorer, two decent bigs, a good player in Barwari, and some good role players. They lost one bad game to Vestal that I know of... He is not a great coach. Not a bad one, but not great.

What decent bigs are you talking about? The starters at 6 feet one is not big. They are not a good three point shooting team,. Any team with a good zone could shut them down. Alger has done a great job with this team, It sounds like you a have a son who didn't play.

Hurd as QB coach at any level is a joke. Think about this, you are a high school footbal coach you have a senior transfer in who is 6'5", 225lbs who has D1 offers, think you would be happy? Not Hurd he chooses to start a kid who is going nowhere, and as soon as he has pressure on him throws the ball up for grabs. "Whats your name, who's your daddy", that is what the UE philosophy is. And how much money does your family donate to the athletic program. Some things never change, its been that weay for years!!!

I too was hoping the 6 feet 5 kid would start, BUT the Orlando kid had a great season and will be the holder of most U.E. passing records by the time he is done if he stays healthy. He was very poised, had an accurate arm, and could throw deep.

It looks like Hurd made the correct call.

You must be a relative of his. Mechanics stink,doesn't throw the ball on time. Perfect example is ME game, twice TE was opened for at least 5 yds and he threw the ball whenhe got to coverage and low where every bdy could get a hand on it instead of high 6'5" TE. Anyone can throw against Horseheads and Vestal, including my 11 yr old son. Against Sweet Home he was 11-35, watch the tapes, also not moble.

Guest QB coach

You must be a relative of his. Mechanics stink,doesn't throw the ball on time. Perfect example is ME game, twice TE was opened for at least 5 yds and he threw the ball whenhe got to coverage and low where every bdy could get a hand on it instead of high 6'5" TE. Anyone can throw against Horseheads and Vestal, including my 11 yr old son. Against Sweet Home he was 11-35, watch the tapes, also not moble.

The kid threw around 19 TD passes last year so he was beating other teams besides lowly vestal and Horseheads. He threw up 20 points in the first half against Sweet Home. The defense put him in a quick hole in the second half.

He was forced to pass from behind and his stats took a hit. He is not fast but his feet are quick, he reminds me of Dan Marino avoiding the pass rush. He duckedf the pass rush and threw a strike to yesensky for a TD against Sweet Home.

Archived