Who is the best local basketball coach

Guest Guest 1

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hoopster

help me understand..you ask a question..best coach?..answer..ocker ..you repudiate the responders answer..why in the world did you start the thread.. if you are only interested in your opinion?

I didn't start the topic....all opinions welcome and Ocker can be your opinion which is all good....but at the end of the day he still isn't in the likes of Machey or Sinicki.

Not hard for Sinicki when several of these years he's had players come to Seton just to play basketball together. My vote is for Bill Ocker, and I like Tony Lindsey just because of what he does for the area and basketball

Jim Norris is a great call and yes he is a great guy....and he did great things for BU as well

Heck, he made Chenango Forks a winner when he was there. That tells you how good a coach he was.

Not hard for Sinicki when several of these years he's had players come to Seton just to play basketball together. My vote is for Bill Ocker, and I like Tony Lindsey just because of what he does for the area and basketball

Oh yeah, who? I can think of one: Jarrell Regan. And those he was a good player and nice kid he wasn't all world. Who else asshole? If you say Brad Conklin that is also bullshit as he came there as Blue Ridge had no indoor plumbing.

The reality is there's a lot of really bad coaches in the STAC. If you're decent like Ocker, you stand out. No disrespect to Coach Ocker intended. He works hard all year, has a ton of community support and great feeder programs. With their student body and that much support, M-E should be good. Sinicki always has more talent than most teams he plays against, that's just a fact. He's also a very good coach and does the work a lot of coaches choose not to do. I really don't understand why Mackey gets as many mentions as he has here. He's probably a little better than avg, but on avg STAC coaches aren't very good.

Oh yeah, who? I can think of one: Jarrell Regan. And those he was a good player and nice kid he wasn't all world. Who else asshole? If you say Brad Conklin that is also bullshit as he came there as Blue Ridge had no indoor plumbing.

Not sure why you're so hostile here, but Smothers brothers both went here to play basketball, just like the younger one left. Torto did as well, and well all know its true. BX helps to drag kids to Seton

Guest Secrioon

Both the smothers boys and torto went to catholic schools their whole life you f**king idiot you have no ideas what you are taking about, the younger one left this year for unknown reasons

Guest Mhmmmmm

Both the smothers boys and torto went to catholic schools their whole life you f**king idiot you have no ideas what you are taking about, the younger one left this year for unknown reasons

I think the younger one broke up with his priest.

The reality is there's a lot of really bad coaches in the STAC. If you're decent like Ocker, you stand out. No disrespect to Coach Ocker intended. He works hard all year, has a ton of community support and great feeder programs. With their student body and that much support, M-E should be good. Sinicki always has more talent than most teams he plays against, that's just a fact. He's also a very good coach and does the work a lot of coaches choose not to do. I really don't understand why Mackey gets as many mentions as he has here. He's probably a little better than avg, but on avg STAC coaches aren't very good.

Excellent post.

While it is true that Abbott had great talent when he won his 2 STATE TITLES, it is the job he did year in and year out regardless of the talent he had, that impressed me the most. Norwich rarely had a down year under his leadership - often with teams visibly less talented than the opposition. They always played great team defense and his players invariably had an very high basketball IQ. That is the mark of a good coach. With Collier, they always put a quality product on the floor.

Also - I second the Jim Norris selection. You can put him up there with Tarricone & Corgel & Halloran on the Old School ballot.

While it is true that Abbott had great talent when he won his 2 STATE TITLES, it is the job he did year in and year out regardless of the talent he had, that impressed me the most. Norwich rarely had a down year under his leadership - often with teams visibly less talented than the opposition. They always played great team defense and his players invariably had an very high basketball IQ. That is the mark of a good coach. With Collier, they always put a quality product on the floor.

Also - I second the Jim Norris selection. You can put him up there with Tarricone & Corgel & Halloran on the Old School ballot.

I really hate to second guess selecting Jim Norris as one of the area's best..... but Jim never did win a Sus championship when he was at CF. I think he tied one season with Windsor but he never won it outright. Plus those were the days when Forks charged $50 a year tuition. Jim would go to Binghamton and recruit those players and drive them to school in the morning. He also picked off a few kids from CV. Halloran and Vail were already winning with kids within their district. Those Whitney Point-Windsor basketball games were absolutely amazing. Norris was very personable and glib. The kids liked him alot. I really can't speak of his years at SUNY Binghamton.

JIM NORRIS great coach GARY VAIL what a joke

Gary Vail's strengths were his organizational skills, teaching ability, and absolute control over HIS program. Don't forget that Vail was also the AD at Windsor. He ran the show and nobody messed with him. He had a cookie-cutter plan every season, almost like mass production in a manufacturing plant. This system worked well when playimg the smaller, less talented schools in the old Susquenango League. There was never a chance that some inferior team would upset him. His strengths, however, would hurt him when he played outside of his league. If a coach could throw a twist of some kind at him, Vail wouldn't be able to adjust or improvise. Frankly, he wasn't able to adapt in a game to some unpredictable development. Get Gary to vary his game plan and you beat him.

Good Call on Vail. Once he left the SUS and beating up on schools half Windsor's size, his skills as a game coach were exposed. Still - a class act and a "system" guy who got results. Costello should get a good share of the credit that Vail garnered as he was the backbone of that program. Talent has been down over there for a few years but he will have them back on top soon enough.

Guest CLASS OF 81

Good Call on Vail. Once he left the SUS and beating up on schools half Windsor's size, his skills as a game coach were exposed. Still - a class act and a "system" guy who got results. Costello should get a good share of the credit that Vail garnered as he was the backbone of that program. Talent has been down over there for a few years but he will have them back on top soon enough.

Surely this was not posted by someone with insight into the Windsor Basketball Program.

Tarricone was probably one of the first real basketball innovators in the area. (Excepting North's Charlie Howland and his stall/freeze offense.) Tarricone emphasized defense and if you screwed up during the game, he yanked you out immediately. His defenses would force the ball into a certain direction and then there would be a trap. No one in the area had an answer to this run-and-jump style of aggressive man-to-man defense. For several years in the 60's and 70's he was the celebrity coach in the region. He was head and shoulders above everyone else. One last anecdote: As a teenager, I learned a valuable lesson about coaching in an indirect fashion from Mr. Tarricone. Tarricone was doing his usual outstanding coaching job at U-E one season when he decided to schedule a game with some team outside of Scranton (I forget exactly what team.) I wanted to see the game so I took a parent/spectator bus to the game. On the way down, everyone was happy and chatting. U-E ended up losing to a talented team that clearly had better athletes than U-E. On the bus ride back, all I heard was grousing and complaining about Tarricone and his coaching style. I learned that no matter how great a coach you were or how much you had accomplished, parents are going to bad mouth you when they aren'y happy. If this could happen to the "great" Charlie Tarricone then it could happen to anyone.

I'm surprised no one has mention Dick Baldwin yet. He had a knack for putting kids in the right spot. Dick had the ability to tap into a pipeline getting kids to come up from NYC to play since local players really weren't very good. He had a gruff personality but he lasted for so many years. When coaching basketball (or any sport for that matter) longevity is big. One last thing: whenever one went to watch a Dick Baldwin Broome Tech basketball practice, there would always be two or three local coaches on the sidelines taking notes.

I'm surprised no one has mention Dick Baldwin yet..

To be honest, many of the coaches mentioned in this thread have been off topic, as they went towards former coaches, and it seems clear to me that the OP intended to discuss present day coaches.

To be honest, many of the coaches mentioned in this thread have been off topic, as they went towards former coaches, and it seems clear to me that the OP intended to discuss present day coaches.

Duh.... you're right. Next time I'll read the title of the thread.

Guest fact checker

Jim Norris and Corgel were mentioned 1 time while you idiots talk about an OK coach at ME who is way to young to even consider in the same sentence as half of these coaches... Jim Norris in my opinion was the best and will forever be the best coach in the area until one of his players/ students gets into coaching. He is the best at what he does

Us idiots were posting about current coaches..which is what we believe the topic was about..you should read more carefully,and not rush to besmirch other choices that don't mesh with yours..of course would have to act like a adult to do this...hmm..ocker is a good young coach...corgel and Norris were good coaches in their day..ill take them in their prime and the ok maine endwell coach anytime...

Archived