Who is the best local basketball coach

Guest Guest 1

Guest Johnny Law

I'll stand by my original post. First of all, the fact you refer to a kids actions as "crimes" tells me all I need to know about your level of maturity. While a kid having a beer is probably technically a crime, it just sounds stupid in this context. Either the kid broke a rule or he didn't. If he did, suspending for half a game is chicken$h***t. If he didn't, he shouldn't have been punished at all. I never claimed to know the facts, he either violated a rule or he didn't. Feel free to question my judgement, I really don't care.

. I wish people wanted the person responsible for the embezzlement of funds from the City's Parks and Recreation Department punished as much as you want these boys

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1/2 a game for 1/2 a beer.

untrue

you are a tool for saying this if I were that kid's dad I would subpoena every bit of technology available and hammer you for lible of a minor.

douchebag

You sir, are nowhere near as smart as you think you are but I know the chance you'll ever realize that are slim and none. Enjoy your illusions of grandeur. Meanwhile, I'll continue to have opinions about this coach or others. I'm just curious, you didn't by chance stop by the local pub on the way home did you?

Alright, lets try that one again, this time with the skill of at least a fifth grader:

"You sir, are nowhere near as smar as you think (MULTIPLE FIXES FOR THE TERRIBLE USE OF THE HELPING VERB WITH NO ACTION VERB TO FOLLOW - I WOULD JUST DROP THE "YOU ARE") (THEN INSERT COMMA) , but I know (THAT) the chance(S) (THAT) you'll ever realize that are slim and none. Enjoy your (DELUSIONS) of grandeur. etc etc etc.

If you want to insult someone's intelligence, step it up a notch yourself.

douchebag

Guest dannycatt

Let's switch to worst baseball coach....... Tim Harkness of U.E. Varsity Baseball. He doesn't have a clue on coaching or communicating with his players. If a coach has to ask someone how to get his players motivated this should send a red flag to someone in this school district. His players have no respect for him. Maybe someone in the school district should talk to his players instead of him continually ruining the program. Also who lets an assistant coach change the books to make his players look better.

Guest Chuck Burger

Alright, lets try that one again, this time with the skill of at least a fifth grader:

"You sir, are nowhere near as smar as you think (MULTIPLE FIXES FOR THE TERRIBLE USE OF THE HELPING VERB WITH NO ACTION VERB TO FOLLOW - I WOULD JUST DROP THE "YOU ARE") (THEN INSERT COMMA) , but I know (THAT) the chance(S) (THAT) you'll ever realize that are slim and none. Enjoy your (DELUSIONS) of grandeur. etc etc etc.

If you want to insult someone's intelligence, step it up a notch yourself.

douchebag

Ahhh the old "attack the grammar" post, as original as they come my friend, try skipping playing the grammar police role and actually respond to the topic at hand. The use of the word "douchebag" definitely gives away your "level of maturity".

Yours Truly,

The one, the only, Mr. Chuck Burger

Guest Forgot my toiletry bag

. I wish people wanted the person responsible for the embezzlement of funds from the City's Parks and Recreation Department punished as much as you want these boys

Who would that be, I have heard that story is being pushed under the rug? Also I have heard many girls basketball players were at the "party", no punishment for them?

Guest Johnny Law

Who would that be, I have heard that story is being pushed under the rug? Also I have heard many girls basketball players were at the "party", no punishment for them?

. What story the embezzler was so high up in the City Parks and Recreation Department with so much power it never even became a line in our newspaper. Many weren't as powerful these past weeks and have been all over the newspaper for their embezzlement how did he do it?

Coach Ocker went after his players to make sure the punishment was appropriate.. Spera did not do the same

Guest fact checker

Jim Norris and Corgel were mentioned 1 time while you idiots talk about an OK coach at ME who is way to young to even consider in the same sentence as half of these coaches... Jim Norris in my opinion was the best and will forever be the best coach in the area until one of his players/ students gets into coaching. He is the best at what he does

For the last time..I WILL PUT MY IDIOCY ON DISPLAY... maine endwell...51..norwich ..48...the ok coach ...done did okay....

For the last time..I WILL PUT MY IDIOCY ON DISPLAY... maine endwell...51..norwich ..48...the ok coach ...done did okay....

Thanks for clarifying your idiocy. By the way you got the score wrong, but whatever. It didn't take much to outcoach the Norwich guy yesterday.

Yes your Idiocy is well known. Winning a league title (at a time when the league is a weak at basketball at any point in its history) means absolutely nothing. The other coaches noted men like Corgel, Tarricone, Halloran etc produced championships and wins when the talent was far superior to what our area has today.

I will also say and I have heard from people who know the full story, Ocker did cut a player a break from punishment and for that I immediately drop him from the list of quality coaches. He bought a lie from a player to make sure that player was still able to play and for that lack of conviction I lost all respect for him. Nice attempt at making a statement but the ruth will always come out and he showed he cares far more about winning than making a tough choice and doing the right thing.

Something tells me this will not be the last time your idiocy is on display.

Guest Casper Milktoast

Hands down best Coach in Stac right now. Obviously we can go back 50 years and start naming great coaches, Ocker is certainly up there as of right now. Look what he has down with that program, and tackling those ME idiot sparents should put him in the hall of fame. I hope they can figure out how to get a few more wins and make it to Glens Falls, that would be great for the players/coaches.

Guest fact checker

Yes your Idiocy is well known. Winning a league title (at a time when the league is a weak at basketball at any point in its history) means absolutely nothing. The other coaches noted men like Corgel, Tarricone, Halloran etc produced championships and wins when the talent was far superior to what our area has today.

I will also say and I have heard from people who know the full story, Ocker did cut a player a break from punishment and for that I immediately drop him from the list of quality coaches. He bought a lie from a player to make sure that player was still able to play and for that lack of conviction I lost all respect for him. Nice attempt at making a statement but the ruth will always come out and he showed he cares far more about winning than making a tough choice and doing the right thing.

I AM A IDIOT....feb. fourth this question was asked as a starter to a new thread on the voice...who IS...who IS.. the best local basketball coach..in my usual utterly mistaken manneri suggested a coach who is actually presently coaching..duh..you on the other hand ..brilliantly responded by depicting me as idiotic for my choice...and proceeded to glow in your brilliance by naming coaches as currently the ..best..who have not coached in decades...my son...unless you are William Jefferson Clinton..is ....is...is.....not was...not satisfied ..you go on to muddle another topic..consistency is your finest virtue...the coach in question..for disciplinary reasons did not playone of his starters the whole game...did not play perhaps his seventh player the whole game..did not play another starter for a half..how please pray tell...clearly if you can..how are these the actions of a coachwho puts winning above all else....?

Hands down best Coach in Stac right now. Obviously we can go back 50 years and start naming great coaches, Ocker is certainly up there as of right now. Look what he has down with that program, and tackling those ME idiot sparents should put him in the hall of fame. I hope they can figure out how to get a few more wins and make it to Glens Falls, that would be great for the players/coaches.

Sports around this area blows. Players and coaching compared to what they were back in the 60's, 70's and 80's is pretty bad.

Sports around this area blows. Players and coaching compared to what they were back in the 60's, 70's and 80's is pretty bad.

I gott jump in, I played sports (at a resaonably high level) here in the mid eighties. When I was in school our teams (save the powerhouse UE football, Bing Basketball squads etc) would not hold a candle to these kids. The training, the coaching, the nutrition etc is different. Look simply at Carl Lewis vs Usain Bolt as an example if you must. Granted CL a two sport phenom, strictly at the 100m times shows the differences. There were teams full of studs, no question, back in the day but a solid basketball or football team (ie 2012 UE/ME/Bing football vs a 1982 team is a blow out nine times out of ten). These kids go to private trainers, parents dump a ton of money into it, kids are (unfortunately) focusing on a single sport twelve months a year etc. I think that team for team, todays kids are winning over and over in a face off. That said... back on point; I would say Terricone, Norris, Morrissey, Corgel, Spera, Vail, Ocker, Ryder, and Jack Hollaran must be in the conversation for the top tier. Arguments about the "best" is fruitless but certainly any of these nine would be in my top ten. JMHO

Clearly you did not hear the real story from anyone because Ocker actually sat that player for a half even though he did not break any rules, for he only attended the party and did not drink. The other players did drink and were sat for one game by the school who takes authority here. Ocker did not have to sit the one student at all, but ended up doing it anyways. He also kicked another kid off the team for lying. Get your facts straight.

I am sure Ocker, Spera and Cook sat down and decided what was fair and consistent for all student athletes involved. The school has to treat all students equitably? This is a no brainer?

I gott jump in, I played sports (at a resaonably high level) here in the mid eighties. When I was in school our teams (save the powerhouse UE football, Bing Basketball squads etc) would not hold a candle to these kids. The training, the coaching, the nutrition etc is different. Look simply at Carl Lewis vs Usain Bolt as an example if you must. Granted CL a two sport phenom, strictly at the 100m times shows the differences. There were teams full of studs, no question, back in the day but a solid basketball or football team (ie 2012 UE/ME/Bing football vs a 1982 team is a blow out nine times out of ten). These kids go to private trainers, parents dump a ton of money into it, kids are (unfortunately) focusing on a single sport twelve months a year etc. I think that team for team, todays kids are winning over and over in a face off. That said... back on point; I would say Terricone, Norris, Morrissey, Corgel, Spera, Vail, Ocker, Ryder, and Jack Hollaran must be in the conversation for the top tier. Arguments about the "best" is fruitless but certainly any of these nine would be in my top ten. JMHO

You are crazy. My kids were recent graduated of a local school and they played sports. The NUTRITION

and training are NOT better then when I played in the 70s. We lifted weights just like they do today.

The teams in the 70s and 80s were much better. Many more kids to pick a team from. More kids were athletes, today many sit around playing video games and go skate boarding. In the older days kids played sports from the moment they woke up until they went to bed in the summer. (Pick up games) Today you drive around and the fields are empty. One last thing. The quality of the people living around here was much higher in the 70s and 80s boom times. Look at some of the nirghborhoods everywhere in Broome County. They are not what they used to be. Even the developments are worn down. These IBM and other industries had 2 parent households who had quality children. They have been replaced by lower income one parent families. The kids need a father to teach them the sports, they had fathers in the 70-80s, today many of them don't.

. Your arguments about better training and nutrution may be true on a professioanl level, but in this area the quality of evrything including high school sports has gone downhill. Vestal graduated 740 kids in 1974, Classes of 280 today won't put out as good a team. Very simple concept.

Ocker is the best coach in the present era. Not a doubt. Wins with half a team in the semis against a good SV and wins STAC championship. There really aren't any other good coaches around now. Ockers defense first mentality really seems to work. Those kids play so hard for him, not a surprise they're doing well.

Ocker is the best coach in the present era. Not a doubt. Wins with half a team in the semis against a good SV and wins STAC championship. There really aren't any other good coaches around now. Ockers defense first mentality really seems to work. Those kids play so hard for him, not a surprise they're doing well.

He's good but not great. He's got talent every year. The only 2 surprise teams in the STAC this year were Norwich and JC. Go back and read the thread here from the beginning of the season. Norwich was barely mentioned and JC was mentioned as being one of the worst teams. 75% of the people picked M-E. Norwich was down 1 to M-E in the last minute of the STAC championship. Somebody must have done some decent coaching other than just Ocker.

Guest Jay Bilas

A basketball could win with the talent Ocker has this year, especially given that STAC talent is not even a sliver of a shadow of its former self. Norwich did great this year- they don't have the height/rebounders or the automatic shooting guards to kick to that a dribble-drive offense requires, but still they get it done. Hats off to them. 25-30 years ago they were a competitive wrestling school where basketball was an afterthought. For the past 20 years, they've been a perennial contender. So I'd say Abbott and now Collier are among the better coaches in STAC.

Ocker has a good thing going there and is a decent coach, but to annoint him the best in these parts is premature.

Archived