Art Jones Athlete of the year

Guest Bones

U.E. grad and Super Bowl starter Art Jones has the leg up as 2013 Press Athlete Of The year.

Great Super Bowl Art. Art will be in for a nice raise next season.

If Kelly wins his 4th state title in 2 weeks, that puts him in the lead, just for now. Can't win it unless he starts out unbeaten at BU and no one else rises to the occasion (not a chance no one else will rise).

Art can't win it on the first 34 days of the year alone. He'll have to start next fall and play above average. He's got a shot!

Kelly has won two state titles, this would be his third. He'd have to be in the mix.

The award is for athlete of the year, not athlete of the last three years. Winning a State Title in wrestling is very common. That does not warrant an athlete of the year award. Art Jones was State Champ twice and Bones Jones was once. Neither of them was athlete of the year. Art was also first team All State in Football the same season.

The award is for athlete of the year, not athlete of the last three years. Winning a State Title in wrestling is very common. That does not warrant an athlete of the year award. Art Jones was State Champ twice and Bones Jones was once. Neither of them was athlete of the year. Art was also first team All State in Football the same season.

Very true, and I agree previous years should not matter in regards to any consideration for Kyle Kelly (and I an a CF grad).

That said, it IS Athlete Of The Year and as others have said in response to the OP, a few so-so games in the athletes acheived level of play in the first 4 weeks of the year do not an AOY make. What Big Art does next fall will determine if he is in the running next December. I hope he is. I have always enjoyed watching him compete in football AND wrestling. (was quite the crowd pleaser in wrestling)

Guest Armchair QB

But the achievement of a 3rd straight undefeated season, should Kelly do so, would put him in the running. I know this because a friend of mine works in the sports department at the paper and has told me.

And if winning a state title in wrestling was so common, wouldn't the majority of wrestlers achieve it?

But the achievement of a 3rd straight undefeated season, should Kelly do so, would put him in the running. I know this because a friend of mine works in the sports department at the paper and has told me.

And if winning a state title in wrestling was so common, wouldn't the majority of wrestlers achieve it?

State titles in wrestling are much more common then pitching in the ML ALL STAR GAME or starting in the SUPERBOWL.

Archived