Some UFC coaches with no class

Guest observer

Guest observer

Boy what a week for Shane Cook and Scotty Craig. Earlier in the week these two coaches put on a display in front of the kids they are suppose to mentor. Throwing out Fbombs and fighting with each other in front of everyone is real class. What an image this is for UFC. Both put themselves above everyone else. They think they are 'it' when it comes to soccer. All Craig does is yell. He promotes the rough play because he doesn't other way to play. Everyone thinks because he has an accent that he knows how to coach. He also told the boys not to tell their parents about what happened. Another class move. They should do a background check on Shane. Ask him why he got let go from NYSEG or Broome CC. And then he goes and gets kicked out of a game down in Baltimore. Real class again.

Guest Guest

If this is even remotely true, it is still much better than having the following buffoons around my children (hint - they belong to that organization that seems to copy UFC):

"I hang with Pre-teens" CR

"U can find me in my smoke-filled car when I am on break" KS (we should be easy on him - maybe it is for medicinal purposes)

"Back from my AA meeting" J

"Anyone for the hot tub" AM

Then again, they all follow their fearless leader who gets up each morning trying to develop some elaborate scheme to stick it to anyone that steps through the revolving door - let's refer to him as:

"No one needs to know that I don't follow the IRS not-for-profit requirements" BK

For you sponsors that TS tied up, ask him how much was his cut! You will be shocked to learn what his cut was for!

Guest soccerfan22

Boy what a week for Shane Cook and Scotty Craig. Earlier in the week these two coaches put on a display in front of the kids they are suppose to mentor. Throwing out Fbombs and fighting with each other in front of everyone is real class. What an image this is for UFC. Both put themselves above everyone else. They think they are 'it' when it comes to soccer. All Craig does is yell. He promotes the rough play because he doesn't other way to play. Everyone thinks because he has an accent that he knows how to coach. He also told the boys not to tell their parents about what happened. Another class move. They should do a background check on Shane. Ask him why he got let go from NYSEG or Broome CC. And then he goes and gets kicked out of a game down in Baltimore. Real class again.

well no doubt shane and scotty are real pieces of work. At some point they will screw up kids in soccer because they are terrible role models or should I say they are non-entities in life. It is no surprise to me that they lack integrity, common sense and only promote their own personalities, lacking class and lacking respect. I challenge either of them or for anyone here to prove me wrong!!!

Guest Guest

Only one of the above mentioned coaches has a youth team that is top 20 in the nation, gives back to his community via numerous charities, has top notch coaching licenses, played four years of D1 soccer and has an outstanding reputation as a father and husband!!! .... Scott Craig!!!

Guest Guest

Only one of the above mentioned coaches has a youth team that is top 20 in the nation, gives back to his community via numerous charities, has top notch coaching licenses, played four years of D1 soccer and has an outstanding reputation as a father and husband!!! .... Scott Craig!!!

First, the rankings are a joke Craig's UFC team is the top ranked team in NYSW and has never won State Cup. How are you the top ranked team but have never won the contest that decides the top team yearly (after trying 7 times)? The reason- the Empire Academy teams no longer bother with crap "rankings tourneys" and instead have started to focus on training and playing single games and not tournaments. Ask Riley how important his team Ranking is now that he went to Jeff Cup and finished dead last in the third tier of his age group.

Craig's D1 playing career is not too impressive, he played at O-State which is now D3 because they had been so bad at D1 for the last fifteen years it wasn't worth them trying to stay up. He was an average player on a well below average D1 team, not exactly something you want to brag about. You want to see an impressive playing career look at Poe from Bing U/UFC guy that played at Clemson, now thats impressive.

Last part coaching licenses are important and mean a little but are way too overblown. Scott Craig has his National GK license but still can't coach a GK for crap. I have watched his "UFC GK Academy" and its ok, nothing special. I'd take Stenta from BU to teach my GK anytime before sending anyone to Craig to learn that. Just because you can pass a test, tell a group what drills to run and what the proper technique should look like doesn't mean you are an effective coach. It means you can spew book knowledge about something nothing more.

Guest Watching them shower

First, the rankings are a joke Craig's UFC team is the top ranked team in NYSW and has never won State Cup. How are you the top ranked team but have never won the contest that decides the top team yearly (after trying 7 times)? The reason- the Empire Academy teams no longer bother with crap "rankings tourneys" and instead have started to focus on training and playing single games and not tournaments. Ask Riley how important his team Ranking is now that he went to Jeff Cup and finished dead last in the third tier of his age group.

Craig's D1 playing career is not too impressive, he played at O-State which is now D3 because they had been so bad at D1 for the last fifteen years it wasn't worth them trying to stay up. He was an average player on a well below average D1 team, not exactly something you want to brag about. You want to see an impressive playing career look at Poe from Bing U/UFC guy that played at Clemson, now thats impressive.

Last part coaching licenses are important and mean a little but are way too overblown. Scott Craig has his National GK license but still can't coach a GK for crap. I have watched his "UFC GK Academy" and its ok, nothing special. I'd take Stenta from BU to teach my GK anytime before sending anyone to Craig to learn that. Just because you can pass a test, tell a group what drills to run and what the proper technique should look like doesn't mean you are an effective coach. It means you can spew book knowledge about something nothing more.

Wow Paul Marco this is an impressive post. You were able to bash everyone you despise for pissing on your parade all in one post. You are a nobody in this community anymore. Darpino took away all your youth power and the real BU coaches are in Oneonta. Just keep kicking the ball forward Paul sooner or later it will go in the net.

Problem is that I already have a husband and my kids have their father. I am paying Craig to coach,train and run a program. All of which he is running into the ground at all levels. From his 18's down to his 13's. Just ask around.

Guest Guest

Wow Paul Marco this is an impressive post. You were able to bash everyone you despise for pissing on your parade all in one post. You are a nobody in this community anymore. Darpino took away all your youth power and the real BU coaches are in Oneonta. Just keep kicking the ball forward Paul sooner or later it will go in the net.

I am not Paul Marco and I didn't bash "everyone" in a post. I simply spoke the truth to dispute someone who was trying to talk others into buying the UFC load of crap. Craig is a good coach, not a great one. His playing accomplishments are not impressive, his coaching success is less impressive but he does have all the right paperwork to say he will be great. Paying thousands of dollars to get certificates that say you are a higher level coach doesn't make it so.

I happen to agree that watching the BU Mens team play is tough to watch, they play an awful style of destructive soccer. John Scott is a huge part of what made that team win while he was there, but he's not exactly lit the world on fire at Hartwick either. I don't blame him for leaving he long deserved the shot, I just hope he manages to turn it around, its been over three years now and he still hasn't done much.

As for Darpino taking Marco's power away and giving it to Cook/Craig, well that right there speaks volumes about his soccer knowledge. Like or hate Marco he is an NSCAA National Staff member and a long time D1 head coach. He led Fusion to repeat State Cup titles. The two that have the power now have nothing close to that on their resume. The duo has still won nothing ever as of yet and it doesn't look promising for that to change. Darpino tried to destroy VYSA and guess what its still around, I think Marco will survive his Darpino attack as well.

Guest Guest

Johnny BMW Scott is not going to be at Hartwick much longer, they have gone nowhere. no respect for someone who sues his employer (BU) for a twisted ankle and then still expects to have a job there.

will be coaching Unatego Varsity in a few years and living off his lawsuit and his wife's bar tips

Guest The truth

I am not Paul Marco and I didn't bash "everyone" in a post. I simply spoke the truth to dispute someone who was trying to talk others into buying the UFC load of crap. Craig is a good coach, not a great one. His playing accomplishments are not impressive, his coaching success is less impressive but he does have all the right paperwork to say he will be great. Paying thousands of dollars to get certificates that say you are a higher level coach doesn't make it so.

I happen to agree that watching the BU Mens team play is tough to watch, they play an awful style of destructive soccer. John Scott is a huge part of what made that team win while he was there, but he's not exactly lit the world on fire at Hartwick either. I don't blame him for leaving he long deserved the shot, I just hope he manages to turn it around, its been over three years now and he still hasn't done much.

As for Darpino taking Marco's power away and giving it to Cook/Craig, well that right there speaks volumes about his soccer knowledge. Like or hate Marco he is an NSCAA National Staff member and a long time D1 head coach. He led Fusion to repeat State Cup titles. The two that have the power now have nothing close to that on their resume. The duo has still won nothing ever as of yet and it doesn't look promising for that to change. Darpino tried to destroy VYSA and guess what its still around, I think Marco will survive his Darpino attack as well.

Simply speaking the truth? Scotty Craig is one of the best coaches in this area. The best no. But in an area this small he is an asset to our club.

You are a coward for attacking his credentials while hiding behind your computer screen. You obviously are one of the so called experts that think they know the direction that youth soccer SHOULD be heading in. You don't know anything.

The U18 boys are a great team regardless of rank and regardless of State Cup championships. Anyone without an alterior motive would know that. They have played against the best teams from the best clubs in this country and have held their own.

As far as the girls team you speak of, I know nothing about them. But if you did you would know that any team that gets accepted to Jefferson Cup is a good team, not many teams in the whole state get accepted to this tournament. Its a top flight tournament.

You want some respect? Tell me what the hell your credentials are or shut up because your just spewing nonsense behind the anonymous guest.

Guest Guest

You want some respect? Tell me what the hell your credentials are or shut up because your just spewing nonsense behind the anonymous guest.

My credentials are fine, I don't need to rattle them off to impress anyone here. Thats one of my gripes with UFC and watching them talk up all the credentials of some of their coaches. Degrees and licenses are good but are not the whole story of a coach. I'd take Chris Riley with his zero credentials any day over Shane Cook and his numerous licenses. That being said Scotty Craig is a solid coach, I just think GK coaching is very specialized and that was my point on him.

The Boys u18 team is solid, I realize you may have thought I was slighting that team and Riley's GBFC Girls team and for that I do apologize. Both teams are well above average for what our area normally has and they do play at a good level which I appreciate. I know a few players from both squads and there is talent there, I always hope any of our local players succeed.

I just despise the pay for ranking system of GotSoccer and the dome buying into it just makes it worse. I pointed out the flaw that the 18 Boys are the Highest ranked team in NYSW and #3 in Region 1 but have never won a State Cup or been to the Regional Tourney. Thats so ridiculous that I can't even fathom it, all because they attend the tournaments that get GotSoccer listed? State Cup-the National Championship feeder tourney is considered a second tier event by that site, which to me says everything I need to know about it. When super clubs like PDA Harkes, Empire, Vardar, Chicago Fire, Dallas Texans, Solar, CASL Elite, Sereno don't even get ranked in the top 25 of the Nation the whole thing is a farce. Two of those clubs teams have had trips in the age group to nationals but they aren't top 25?

I don't even want to get into how to try and save local soccer, far too much to even touch here. Needless to say I don't think our current local club status is at all beneficial to the youth. Too many people want to have the power and the recognition of being the "savior". Myself I just want kids to be able to play and have a passion for the game without all the crap politics of it all. Can't say any more than that.

• 1 month later...
Guest guest

Problem is that I already have a husband and my kids have their father. I am paying Craig to coach,train and run a program. All of which he is running into the ground at all levels. From his 18's down to his 13's. Just ask around.

He is making a mess of every team he coaches. They were a great team before Scotty showed up and "fixed" things that weren't broken. Same thing happening with the 16s and he'll ruin them too. All his teams would be better off without a coach

Guest Guest

He is making a mess of every team he coaches. They were a great team before Scotty showed up and "fixed" things that weren't broken. Same thing happening with the 16s and he'll ruin them too. All his teams would be better off without a coach

You must be a wannabe player. Craig's U18 team is in the top 20 in the NATION. I suppose you could say it is broken since they aren't #1. Jealous idiot.

Guest Guest

You must be a wannabe player. Craig's U18 team is in the top 20 in the NATION. I suppose you could say it is broken since they aren't #1. Jealous idiot.

That team was top 20 long before Craig. There's so much talent on that team that ANYONE could coach and they'd win. And all that talent was developed pre-Craig. He just likes to take credit for it. Credit should to to Purtell and Covert and John Scott -- all far better coaches and trainers than Craig.

Guest jake the snake

That team was top 20 long before Craig. There's so much talent on that team that ANYONE could coach and they'd win. And all that talent was developed pre-Craig. He just likes to take credit for it. Credit should to to Purtell and Covert and John Scott -- all far better coaches and trainers than Craig.

Finally, someone knows the truth on this thread! I totally agree.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest

All of you need to grow up and remember it's only about that kids having fun. Put all this petty junk to the side and remember it's about kids playing a frickin game. This isn’t the EPL or even close to it.

Winning is great, but no team from this area has or is ever going to win close to everything. It's great your kids team won a tournament or game, but they did it, not you. They decide what happens on the field no matter how loud you or the coach screams.

You have put in the countless hours of driving, waiting at practice, watching boring games and the money, which is what you do for your kid. But you do it for your kid and because they enjoy the game. If they didn't you wouldn't do it all.

Every coach in this area, no matter what club they are with is about putting the kids first and hopefully teaching them something, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it. There is no perfect way to coach and there is no prefect coach. No coach is getting a D1 coaching job out of any of this and everyone always thinks they could've done a better job coaching.

Fact is this is a small community. Stop trying to tear it apart. Every club that is left is still needed. Stop talking behind peoples backs. If you have an issue go talk about it to the person.

Archived