Sports and Fund Raising - enough already!

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Does every sport fund raise? Its getting a bit ridiculous don't you think?

Every kid in my neighborhood is being asked to fundraise -- modified, jv, varsity and even town leagues.

Again, asking the same parents to fund again and again.

The question I have is WHY do the coaches encourage the kids to get t- shirts AND sweat pants AND sweatshrits

AND jerseys AND hair bands .... the list keeps growing! Please just pick ONE!!!!! You put parents and kids in an awkward position by offering too many choices. Of course kids want it all.... Some parents buy all, leaving the rest of the kids always wanting!

What sports does your school push with fund raising?

Guest Guest

I completely agree! It is awkward alwaying asking our co-workers and family to buy unneeded items. They want us to fund-raise for unnecessary items. I tried to point that out once at a sports meeting (suggested maybe we do something for the community instead) and was completely octracized by the Team Mom.

Guest Guest

I agree too. It is awkward. I won't do it. Kids feel the pressure to sell from the coaches and from those who have larger families. Its really unnecessary.

Community service would be a good idea. And I have read some sports teams have done this with success.

Guest skeptical

I would like to know exactly who is accountable for the funds that are raised. The parents do as they are told....sell and turn your money in. They do so out of fear that their kid won't get to play or cheer. The coach then controls all of the money raised and is accountable to no one. There is something radically wrong with this system. Is any parent ever brave enough to ask for an accounting of the funds? Do you ever ask for an accounting of where your league/team registration fees are spent?

Wake up folks!

Guest Guest

A student rep. along with the coach and the school club director have to sign off on all accounts for fundraising. The school team I worked with also was audited every year by the state. The booster clubs are where you get into the problems. Money is kept in an account with only the booster club watching.

Guest anti-fund raising

Fund raising is getting excessive. I left a local "premier" soccer club UFC it was just one fund raiser after another. It would be great if the higher powers of that club were held accountable. Where does all that money go? Do we not have better "charities" to give our money to than a soccer club? Really people, wake up!

Guest Guest

Coaches threaten kids to 'do your part' giving kids a min requirement to sell ... and yes this is school sports already funded by taxes. AND on top of it parents have to supply the 'required' uniform outside of the jersey .... shorts, socks, shoes ... and of course these are all picked by the coach.

Guest Big Dog

school sports are already funded by our taxes. no reason they should be allowed to fundraise

terrible

school sports are already funded by our taxes. no reason they should be allowed to fundraise

terrible

The problem is the programs are underfunded and every team still wants more for the team. New warmups, new shoes, new everything. The fund raisers do this. However, today, each sport seems to have a world series pool, NCAA pool, super bowl pool, pasta dinner, golf tournament, car wash, bottle drive, etc. What happens the kids who play 2-3 sports end up asking the same people for money. Though it is not much we can do, it is excessive at times

Guest Guest

Why do the coaches think the kids need so much NEW stuff? Crazy. Back in the day we used the school uniforms and MAYBE ordered a t-shirt. Today, they have the uniforms even wear them, but NEED to have wayyyy to much extra stuff.

Guest Guest

if you can't make it on the budget provided by taxpayers- give the money back and drop the sport.

make it a club program where you pay to play

no double dipping

simple

Guest Guest

ATTENTION COACHES, are you reading this? You can help stop this frenzy. One ME soccer t-shirt really is enough!

UE too ... and its not just soccer!

Guest Fed Up Parent

M-E girls soccer is by far the worst when it comes to making parents buy additional items! School provides the uniforms but Team Moms and Coaches pressure the families into spending on warm up suits, hoodies, etc. If the kids don't sell the required amount of candy bars, etc, the parents have to pay the difference! If you don't buy the additional items, your kid suffers.

Guest Guest

M-E girls soccer is by far the worst when it comes to making parents buy additional items! School provides the uniforms but Team Moms and Coaches pressure the families into spending on warm up suits, hoodies, etc. If the kids don't sell the required amount of candy bars, etc, the parents have to pay the difference! If you don't buy the additional items, your kid suffers.

UE Lacrosse came home with an 'optional' order for Rugby Shirts, jerseys, headbands and Nike thermals. CRAZY! None of this is part of the uniform that the school does supply. All this is extra and the kids can sell popcorn to pay for apparel. Thats a LOT of popcorn!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

This is an interesting topic. Its spring break, and Spring sports have begun. I had 3 visits from local kids working on fundraising for sports this week. Its only Tuesday.

Too much already.

Guest Guest

Quite often it is the players that want all the extras. I use to coach basketball and every season my players wanted to order sweatshirts, warm-ups, the works....luckily it was only modified so it was easy to say no the season is too short, by the time we order the season will be done by the time they come in.

***before you blame the coaches. Maybe it's your own kid/the team that wants every thing in access

Guest Guest

Quite often it is the players that want all the extras. I use to coach basketball and every season my players wanted to order sweatshirts, warm-ups, the works....luckily it was only modified so it was easy to say no the season is too short, by the time we order the season will be done by the time they come in.

***before you blame the coaches. Maybe it's your own kid/the team that wants every thing in access

not on our team. It was clearly the coaches that wanted the new threads. Some kids ordered one of everything, but most only got one item. The coaches, 2 gym teachers, got one of everything to sport during gym class.

• 2 months later...
Guest Rational Ralph

It would be kinda cool if the athtletes, through fund raising, went out and developed inter-personal and sales skills, learned to skillfully promote their cause, deal with and gracefully accept rejection, and developed other life skills more likely to help them make a living as adults than their sports will. But they don't. Mommy and Daddy bring the forms to work and do all of the work for the little precious jocks and jockettes.

Eliminate all school sports. Let those who wish to participate form teams and sustain themselves. Works for Little League, Youth Football Leagues, AAU basketball, etc. Do the same with bands and orchestras, and actually use school time and resources for something totaly innovative and crazy like maybe actually studying academic subjects in school. Maybe Math, Science, Literature.

I am a huge sports fan, but I'd much rather see my local school known for the quality of its Science Olympiad, Robotics, or Mathlete teams than it's gang-raping, knuckleheaded football or basketball teams, its freshman-hazing wrestling teams, etc.

Guest Guest

It would be kinda cool if the athtletes, through fund raising, went out and developed inter-personal and sales skills, learned to skillfully promote their cause, deal with and gracefully accept rejection, and developed other life skills more likely to help them make a living as adults than their sports will. But they don't. Mommy and Daddy bring the forms to work and do all of the work for the little precious jocks and jockettes.

Eliminate all school sports. Let those who wish to participate form teams and sustain themselves. Works for Little League, Youth Football Leagues, AAU basketball, etc. Do the same with bands and orchestras, and actually use school time and resources for something totaly innovative and crazy like maybe actually studying academic subjects in school. Maybe Math, Science, Literature.

I am a huge sports fan, but I'd much rather see my local school known for the quality of its Science Olympiad, Robotics, or Mathlete teams than it's gang-raping, knuckleheaded football or basketball teams, its freshman-hazing wrestling teams, etc.

That'll never happen. The schools aren't there to worry about things like educational excellence for the kids, it's a make work program for the union teachers. As long as the whole thing has turned into a government run day care, I say leave sports and band for that matter alone.

Archived