School sports - - - are most coaches trained?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Which school actually have coached trained in their sport?

Do your school coaches seek training, attend constructive workshops to help them do their jobs? OR

Are simply volunteers - who know little to NOTHING about the sport, never played a have not initiative to learn!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest

Anybody coaching a school sport in a public school district at the modified, jv, or varsity level is not a volunteer. They are paid by the district, from a couple of thousand for modified up to 6-8,000 or more for varsity. They are supposed to be certified with a NYS coaching cert, first aid, etc.

With that said, they may have assistants who are "volunteers", who may be base coaches, statisticians, etc.

Guest Guest

I think "volunteer" was meant in a sarcastic way. All coaches get paid, but some clearly go the extra mile. Others do the minimal and just get by ....

Guest Guest

I think "volunteer" was meant in a sarcastic way. All coaches get paid, but some clearly go the extra mile. Others do the minimal and just get by ....

Guest Guest

All coaches know less than parents, players, school administrators, officials, newspaper writers and of course writers on this forum.

That said, at the least they have current certifications in first aid, cpr and defib.

In the last 15 years or so they either are PE teachers or have taken several state mandated coaching courses,

Depending on the sport they may attend clinics, either in person, on video, books or the internet. Often varsity coaches will clinic JV and modified coaches.

They may have participated in the sport.

Once again it is important to remember that coaches are the least knowledgable of those in the sport. Those who are paid are generously compensated for the small amount of time they put in.

Guest Guest

Agree.

Most coaches only listen during competitions to try and pick up on what the parents/experts are saying from the sidelines so they know what to do in practice.

The parents can't coach because they have real jobs and don't have the time to get their certifications or learn what goes into working with all kids let alone their own.

Too bad all coaches suck.

Guest Guest

That's what I have seen too. Especially with the secondary sports ... ie. those with a smaller budget than football or basketball. We have so many universities nearby. Do university coaches offer clinics for volleyball, lacrosse, softball, track, swimming ???? I think coaches at all levels could greatly grow from this. It does seem that PE teachers tend to coach often ... unfortunately the handful I know did not even play the sport they are coaching. And the parents do seem to know more.... kids of sad considering all the time the kids put it.

Guest Guest

they fit in a couple of coaching courses in between hang overs and serial date raping back when they were in school at Oneonta or Brockport

Guest Guest

Sad but true, most are either blown up wantabes or bought and paid for by a ex school board pres. out trying to get his kids ahead of the pack. Try and figure that one out

Yea man. eff it.

no wonder why good coaches don't coach.

Guest Guest

Anybody coaching a school sport in a public school district at the modified, jv, or varsity level is not a volunteer. They are paid by the district, from a couple of thousand for modified up to 6-8,000 or more for varsity. They are supposed to be certified with a NYS coaching cert, first aid, etc.

With that said, they may have assistants who are "volunteers", who may be base coaches, statisticians, etc.

But they are not required to be trained in the sport they're coaching.

Guest Guest

But they are not required to be trained in the sport they're coaching.

That is the issue. Club sports work hard to develop their players, especially giving them opportunities to showcase thier talents for colleges. High school coaches ruin the effort and the players regress. High school players don't challengr them for the untrained coach holds all of the authority!

Guest Guest

Not sure about club coaches. I expect they would have to be to build a resume that parents would pay for. Club programs that cost big $ are in the business of providing superior coaching and a good overall program. That's why these programs are competitive. I know my kids and their peers flock to the good coaches

Guest Guest

School coaches SHOULD be trained in their sports. They should also attend regular clinics to stay fresh with the game. Training techniques and rules do change.

As a tax payer you should demand it.

Guest Guest

I agree! School coaches should be trained too! Who wants the coach who boasts about never playing tennis? never diving? never playing lacrosse? OR never going to a college level run clinic. Sounds more like baby sitting. Kids want to learn, excel and win. They need a knowledgable and experienced coach to lead them.

Guest Guest

At ME we have fantastic coaches! Most that I know of played their sport in HS and some college. Our swim coaches are experts and decorated AND go to clinics! Our soccer, lacrosse, basketball and baseball coaches do the same. Who wants a tennis instructor who has never played?

In many cases it seems the women's programs are lacking.

Guest Guest

We have that problem at UE. Many coaches never played their sport. Some even boast about it! Its really not funny.

And some are there for the job and seem to have no interest in improving their knowledge or attending clinics. I have asked to go along on one just to know the game better. Coach scuffed it off saying the clinics are not worth the time.

Guest Guest

I have 2 nieces and 4 nephews in UE sports. Between this bunch they must play nearly every sport offered. Many have great coaches, but I have also heard of some that do not know the sport too well

Guest Guest

I have 2 nieces and 4 nephews in UE sports. Between this bunch they must play nearly every sport offered. Many have great coaches, but I have also heard of some that do not know the sport too well

do they play lacrosse?

Guest UE Taxpayer

School coaches SHOULD be trained in their sports. They should also attend regular clinics to stay fresh with the game. Training techniques and rules do change.

As a tax payer you should demand it.

Interesting comment... "As a taxpayer, you should demand it." My response is - but this is an extracurricular activity, not an educational one, so why must I pay for it? It should NOT be borne by taxpayers, but by those that are participating in the activity. If people realized how much is spent on some of these athletic programs (and the need for turf stadiums), then you might reconsider the "pay to play" need. That in itself will force hiring of qualified coaches. My experience with clubs is that they require thier coaches to be trained, certified, and some form of background check performed. Certification at HS is not required, and the costs are socialized. You get a few decent club players and boom you have a winning team.

Also, unless your HS coach is well connected (inferring that they are certified/trained) then most won't see a college coach. It is really at the club level. I would prefer HS sports to end (reducing costs) and let the real coaches train their players at the Club.

Guest Guest

Interesting comment... "As a taxpayer, you should demand it." My response is - but this is an extracurricular activity, not an educational one, so why must I pay for it? It should NOT be borne by taxpayers, but by those that are participating in the activity. If people realized how much is spent on some of these athletic programs (and the need for turf stadiums), then you might reconsider the "pay to play" need. That in itself will force hiring of qualified coaches. My experience with clubs is that they require thier coaches to be trained, certified, and some form of background check performed. Certification at HS is not required, and the costs are socialized. You get a few decent club players and boom you have a winning team.

Also, unless your HS coach is well connected (inferring that they are certified/trained) then most won't see a college coach. It is really at the club level. I would prefer HS sports to end (reducing costs) and let the real coaches train their players at the Club.

Aren't these coaches already paid? If so, they should demonstrate value add and expertise learned by experience and education (ie. clinics).

I agree with pay to play to a degree as well. Where does all the fund raising money go? I seem to have a kid knocking nearly once a week.

Guest Guest

so true,

schools should offer intramurals as part of PE class

forget the extravagant expense of interscholastic sports

Archived