School sports - - - are most coaches trained?

Guest Guest

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest

Well look around ... its hard to find knowledgeable coaches. I bet if every school was asked to list their top 10 coaches, they would have difficulty completing the list if actual experience or clinic training was a requirement

Guest Guest

It's especially hard to find coaches that know half as much as parents. The parents in the stands know even more and once they get to the bars parental knowledge skyrockets.

As you watch college coaches notice how closely they listen to the parents in back of them. College coaches are expert at following the folks who really know the sport and how to run a program.

Guest Guest

It's especially hard to find coaches that know half as much as parents. The parents in the stands know even more and once they get to the bars parental knowledge skyrockets.

As you watch college coaches notice how closely they listen to the parents in back of them. College coaches are expert at following the folks who really know the sport and how to run a program.

I agree. Some of the best coaches are those who are open minded, listen to advice and make judgements and set direction based on all the insight they can pool. They are competitive with their team, not with themselves in a selfish or self-preserving way, but rather take all the experiences they can gather to help their team perform at their best.

Guest Guest

That's large load of BS.

Prove it. Name a sport where a college coach would consistently waste one of their visits to see a single player in a HS game. Club teams go to tournaments that have multiple quality players and they encourage coaches to register and attend.

Prove it. Name a sport where a college coach would consistently waste one of their visits to see a single player in a HS game. Club teams go to tournaments that have multiple quality players and they encourage coaches to register and attend.

That is very true, your kids exposure will be with a travel or aau team. In most cases HS coaches seem to have serious self esteem issues, where they get off being in power over a bunch of kids. I dont pretend to understand it , but that seems to be the case.

Guest Guest

That is very true, your kids exposure will be with a travel or aau team. In most cases HS coaches seem to have serious self esteem issues, where they get off being in power over a bunch of kids. I dont pretend to understand it , but that seems to be the case.

Yes, I see that even with pee wee football. Some coaches do seem to like the power a bit too much. With all age groups

Guest Guest

So why play school sports at all. You risk injury and bad habits from poor coaching. Just play club sports and watch the offers roll in.

Guest Guest

What a sad example for our i

We have that problem at UE. Many coaches never played their sport. Some even boast about it! Its really not funny.

And some are there for the job and seem to have no interest in improving their knowledge or attending clinics. I have asked to go along on one just to know the game better. Coach scuffed it off saying the clinics are not worth the time.

What a sad example to set for kids

• 1 month later...
Guest Blusiaenlilla
Guest Guest

Baseball. One kid has had a least one college at all of his games.

Guest slammin'

I do not know where to start with all these crazy thoughts you parents of kids who suck and are not playing as much as you'd like so lets blame the coaching (in your case babysitter because you as a parent were too busy drinking or rebuilding your trailer and didn't play with your kid so he/she isn't as good as Johnny) bashing is coming from.

First off, eliminating interscholastic sports would be a bad idea. Would it save $...yea of couse dumb ass...but it would be very minimal...it only accounts for about 2% of a school budget. (that you as tax payers voted to have). The benefits that the kids, parents and community recieve from athletics far out wiegh the cost. Character, civility, citizenship, team work, goals, decision making and structure just to name a few.

Poor coaches? Really? I'm sure (positive) that there are some out there..why? Why, because none of you DA will get off your know it all arses and go get CERTIFIED like ALL other NYS coaches are required to do to coach at a public school. Many go to clinics, and professional developments to get better. Many lower level coaches do not....but the Varsity coach usually shares the info. Mod., and Jv kids learn the basics and are furtherd developed as the go along. But most kids want to be good but do NOT work at their craft. Then when they don't do well...BLAME THE COACH. easy to do. How about work at it. I've never seen a kid not get what they deserve.

It's not the x's and o's...it's the Jims and the Joe's.

Club sports...great. But so are interscholastic athletics. Most "club" (soccer) and AAU (basketball) are the kids who want to go on to the next level. You do not have "Billie Joe Bob" who just wants to hang with his boys after school and be part of a great experience in high school. They have the best of the best who are willing to pay big bucks. Thats all good...but do not start ripping scholastic coaches with out knowing your ship!

Guest Guest

I do not know where to start with all these crazy thoughts you parents of kids who suck and are not playing as much as you'd like so lets blame the coaching (in your case babysitter because you as a parent were too busy drinking or rebuilding your trailer and didn't play with your kid so he/she isn't as good as Johnny) bashing is coming from.

First off, eliminating interscholastic sports would be a bad idea. Would it save $...yea of couse dumb ass...but it would be very minimal...it only accounts for about 2% of a school budget. (that you as tax payers voted to have). The benefits that the kids, parents and community recieve from athletics far out wiegh the cost. Character, civility, citizenship, team work, goals, decision making and structure just to name a few.

Poor coaches? Really? I'm sure (positive) that there are some out there..why? Why, because none of you DA will get off your know it all arses and go get CERTIFIED like ALL other NYS coaches are required to do to coach at a public school. Many go to clinics, and professional developments to get better. Many lower level coaches do not....but the Varsity coach usually shares the info. Mod., and Jv kids learn the basics and are furtherd developed as the go along. But most kids want to be good but do NOT work at their craft. Then when they don't do well...BLAME THE COACH. easy to do. How about work at it. I've never seen a kid not get what they deserve.

It's not the x's and o's...it's the Jims and the Joe's.

Club sports...great. But so are interscholastic athletics. Most "club" (soccer) and AAU (basketball) are the kids who want to go on to the next level. You do not have "Billie Joe Bob" who just wants to hang with his boys after school and be part of a great experience in high school. They have the best of the best who are willing to pay big bucks. Thats all good...but do not start ripping scholastic coaches with out knowing your ship!

You certainly get credit for being long winded. As a group, school coaches are not good. Exceptional school coaches are extremely rare, really bad school coaches are not rare at all, probably the norm. Most of the coaches are teachers padding their paychecks and retirement benefits. They bring the same union mentality to coaching they have in the classroom. Come in, punch the clock, and leave at the end of the shift. No passion or desire to produce high quality results.

Guest Guest

What a sad example for our i What a sad example to set for kids

If you think it's a bad example, get a group of parents and go let the school board know. You have no right to complain if you sit quietly and let it happen.

Guest Guest

You certainly get credit for being long winded. As a group, school coaches are not good. Exceptional school coaches are extremely rare, really bad school coaches are not rare at all, probably the norm. Most of the coaches are teachers padding their paychecks and retirement benefits. They bring the same union mentality to coaching they have in the classroom. Come in, punch the clock, and leave at the end of the shift. No passion or desire to produce high quality results.

Or worse yet, make a name off of their can't miss kids and stepping stone to new job leaving the programs they use in shambles.

Guest Knute Lombardi

NO coaches anywhere are as well trained or as capable as the least trained and least capable coaches of anything at Maine-Endwell. The glorious sports academy on Farm-to-Market road is the shining light of excellence in all things sports.

Simply setting foot in the hallowed locker room provides more knowledge and insight into all sports by osmosis than could years of playing, observing, studying, attending clinics, reading books, and simply contemplating the strategy, psychology, and techniques of any sport.

Spartan coaches begin training for excellence, like their athletes, from infancy, and the awesomeness never ends.

Guest Guest

I agree with so many posts here. Its too bad that all coaches, mostly teachers seeking some extra $, don't take coaching seriously. Some do, and their teams reflect it. The parents, kids and fans respect this too. Then you have the others who just show up. Its often the ladies that are their with their colorfully coordinated outfits all made up. I follow Vestal sports. All the coaches I have met know their sport, most played their sport and all sincerely work with the kids to make them better ... swimming, basketball, volleyball, lacrosse. I went to a UE game last month. The Vestal coach was out warming up the goalie and interacting with the kids, while the UE coach had her back turned, chatted with her own kids and left her team on their own. The ref was seeking her out on the field for several minutes ... wrong place to look for this one.

Guest Guest

Why don't more coaches bring their young players to JV and Varsity games to watch and learn? There's nothing like seeing plays happen.

Guest fact checker

NO coaches anywhere are as well trained or as capable as the least trained and least capable coaches of anything at Maine-Endwell. The glorious sports academy on Farm-to-Market road is the shining light of excellence in all things sports.

Simply setting foot in the hallowed locker room provides more knowledge and insight into all sports by osmosis than could years of playing, observing, studying, attending clinics, reading books, and simply contemplating the strategy, psychology, and techniques of any sport.

Spartan coaches begin training for excellence, like their athletes, from infancy, and the awesomeness never ends.

I believe your depiction of the strength of the coaching staff at maine endwell is dead on..your gratuitous remarks about them are certainly supported by the winning standards the schools athletic programs have achieved lately..multiple state championships, many sec four championships..etc. etc. a excellent post about excellent coaching...

Guest Guest

I believe your depiction of the strength of the coaching staff at maine endwell is dead on..your gratuitous remarks about them are certainly supported by the winning standards the schools athletic programs have achieved lately..multiple state championships, many sec four championships..etc. etc. a excellent post about excellent coaching...

I think it speaks more about the general ineptness of the competition than something special about M-E. As many other posters have said, the overall competence of most high school coaching is atrocious. A few really good coaches sprinkled across all sports at all schools, the rest mostly a bunch of teachers padding their pay checks. It does appear there's more emphasis at M-E to win and hire coaches at all levels in all sports to create a winning environment. The credit should go to the AD and/or school administration and school board for deciding to focus on the kids having an opportunity for excellence rather than most schools where it's about teachers getting money they feel entitled to.

Guest Lambeau Fields

I agree with so many posts here. Its too bad that all coaches, mostly teachers seeking some extra $, don't take coaching seriously. Some do, and their teams reflect it. The parents, kids and fans respect this too. Then you have the others who just show up. Its often the ladies that are their with their colorfully coordinated outfits all made up. I follow Vestal sports. All the coaches I have met know their sport, most played their sport and all sincerely work with the kids to make them better ... swimming, basketball, volleyball, lacrosse. I went to a UE game last month. The Vestal coach was out warming up the goalie and interacting with the kids, while the UE coach had her back turned, chatted with her own kids and left her team on their own. The ref was seeking her out on the field for several minutes ... wrong place to look for this one.

Please warn us when you plan on using sarcasm...the coaches at Vestal are so bad considering the size of the school AND that several of them do not even teach there.

FALL: Football...all indications both here and on the street/in the stands are they are horrible. Soccer...boys wins but is an self promoting POS and they had to steal the girls coach from UE. VBall must be doing something right, they seem to win at least. FH- tough playing second fiddle to soccer. Swimming- who can tell? Tennis- really...no comment. XC- run as fast as you can.

WINTER: BBall- underachievers in both genders. Wrestling- strange dude. More swimming- see above

SPRING: Lax- does ok although I hear the girls program is run by assistants/parents. Softball- ugh. Baseball- always seem to be in the mix but doubt its the coaching. I will give credit to whoever coaches pole vaulting there however,...seems to know their stuff.

And no, I am not a disgruntled parent or wannabe coach. Just agreeing that alot of the coaches (especially in Vestal) do it for the money/pension and spend VERY little time actually building a program. Maybe thats why the ones who do, like Spera at ME seem to stand out from the crowd.

Guest Guest

I think it speaks more about the general ineptness of the competition than something special about M-E. As many other posters have said, the overall competence of most high school coaching is atrocious. A few really good coaches sprinkled across all sports at all schools, the rest mostly a bunch of teachers padding their pay checks. It does appear there's more emphasis at M-E to win and hire coaches at all levels in all sports to create a winning environment. The credit should go to the AD and/or school administration and school board for deciding to focus on the kids having an opportunity for excellence rather than most schools where it's about teachers getting money they feel entitled to.

Agree with everything you said.

Guest livin large across river

Please warn us when you plan on using sarcasm...the coaches at Vestal are so bad considering the size of the school AND that several of them do not even teach there.

FALL: Football...all indications both here and on the street/in the stands are they are horrible. Soccer...boys wins but is an self promoting POS and they had to steal the girls coach from UE. VBall must be doing something right, they seem to win at least. FH- tough playing second fiddle to soccer. Swimming- who can tell? Tennis- really...no comment. XC- run as fast as you can.

WINTER: BBall- underachievers in both genders. Wrestling- strange dude. More swimming- see above

SPRING: Lax- does ok although I hear the girls program is run by assistants/parents. Softball- ugh. Baseball- always seem to be in the mix but doubt its the coaching. I will give credit to whoever coaches pole vaulting there however,...seems to know their stuff.

And no, I am not a disgruntled parent or wannabe coach. Just agreeing that alot of the coaches (especially in Vestal) do it for the money/pension and spend VERY little time actually building a program. Maybe thats why the ones who do, like Spera at ME seem to stand out from the crowd.

It's alright, it's ok, ME athletes will work for us one day. From: Vestal Students (just like their Sparents work for our parents now)

Guest Guest

One would think with the programs and opportunities available to Vestal Kids and their community that they would win in everything.

The other thing is that they don't perform all that well on Test Scores across the county.

There is no comparison to Vestal and ME when it comes to Test Scores.

Vestal pretty much loses at everything they do.

Guest I live in ME

One would think with the programs and opportunities available to Vestal Kids and their community that they would win in everything.

The other thing is that they don't perform all that well on Test Scores across the county.

There is no comparison to Vestal and ME when it comes to Test Scores.

Vestal pretty much loses at everything they do.

Link? Didn't think so. Vestal #1

Vote NO for ME budget!

Archived