School sports - - - are most coaches trained?

Guest Guest

Guest UE parent

One would think with the programs and opportunities available to Vestal Kids and their community that they would win in everything.

The other thing is that they don't perform all that well on Test Scores across the county.

There is no comparison to Vestal and ME when it comes to Test Scores.

Vestal pretty much loses at everything they do.

You sound jealous and stupid.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest everybody Knows what happe

NO coaches anywhere are as well trained or as capable as the least trained and least capable coaches of anything at Maine-Endwell. The glorious sports academy on Farm-to-Market road is the shining light of excellence in all things sports.

Simply setting foot in the hallowed locker room provides more knowledge and insight into all sports by osmosis than could years of playing, observing, studying, attending clinics, reading books, and simply contemplating the strategy, psychology, and techniques of any sport.

Spartan coaches begin training for excellence, like their athletes, from infancy, and the awesomeness never ends.

I believe your depiction of the strength of the coaching staff at maine endwell is dead on..your gratuitous remarks about them are certainly supported by the winning standards the schools athletic programs have achieved lately..multiple state championships, many sec four championships..etc. etc. a excellent post about excellent coaching...

I think it speaks more about the general ineptness of the competition than something special about M-E. As many other posters have said, the overall competence of most high school coaching is atrocious. A few really good coaches sprinkled across all sports at all schools, the rest mostly a bunch of teachers padding their pay checks. It does appear there's more emphasis at M-E to win and hire coaches at all levels in all sports to create a winning environment. The credit should go to the AD and/or school administration and school board for deciding to focus on the kids having an opportunity for excellence rather than most schools where it's about teachers getting money they feel entitled to.

Please warn us when you plan on using sarcasm...the coaches at Vestal are so bad considering the size of the school AND that several of them do not even teach there.

FALL: Football...all indications both here and on the street/in the stands are they are horrible. Soccer...boys wins but is an self promoting POS and they had to steal the girls coach from UE. VBall must be doing something right, they seem to win at least. FH- tough playing second fiddle to soccer. Swimming- who can tell? Tennis- really...no comment. XC- run as fast as you can.

WINTER: BBall- underachievers in both genders. Wrestling- strange dude. More swimming- see above

SPRING: Lax- does ok although I hear the girls program is run by assistants/parents. Softball- ugh. Baseball- always seem to be in the mix but doubt its the coaching. I will give credit to whoever coaches pole vaulting there however,...seems to know their stuff.

And no, I am not a disgruntled parent or wannabe coach. Just agreeing that alot of the coaches (especially in Vestal) do it for the money/pension and spend VERY little time actually building a program. Maybe thats why the ones who do, like Spera at ME seem to stand out from the crowd.

I wouldn't promote any ME athletics after hearing about the "Potato Chip Bag" incident. I blame coach, parents, AD and BOE.

Guest Guest

Which school actually have coached trained in their sport?

Do your school coaches seek training, attend constructive workshops to help them do their jobs? OR

Are simply volunteers - who know little to NOTHING about the sport, never played a have not initiative to learn!

Thanks for the laugh! Someone actually cares if school coaches are trained! That's funny! And attend " constructive workshops"? That's just too funny!

Spend more time worrying about Little Johnny's homework and less time worrying about low-paid pseudo-volunteer coaches.

Guest Guest

Agree.

Most coaches only listen during competitions to try and pick up on what the parents/experts are saying from the sidelines so they know what to do in practice.

The parents can't coach because they have real jobs and don't have the time to get their certifications or learn what goes into working with all kids let alone their own.

Too bad all coaches suck.

The parents can't coach, period. It has nothing to do with time. It would be tragedy to let you know-it-all parents coach at any level higher than toddler.

Guest Guest

Sad but true, most are either blown up wantabes or bought and paid for by a ex school board pres. out trying to get his kids ahead of the pack. Try and figure that one out

The real "blown up wantabes" are the parents yelling from the stands.

Guest Guest

School coaches SHOULD be trained in their sports. They should also attend regular clinics to stay fresh with the game. Training techniques and rules do change.

As a tax payer you should demand it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! Crazy talk. It's a low-paid part-time job, and you want them to spend their summers at coaching clinics? What world do you live in?

Guest Guest

I do not know where to start with all these crazy thoughts you parents of kids who suck and are not playing as much as you'd like so lets blame the coaching (in your case babysitter because you as a parent were too busy drinking or rebuilding your trailer and didn't play with your kid so he/she isn't as good as Johnny) bashing is coming from.

First off, eliminating interscholastic sports would be a bad idea. Would it save $...yea of couse dumb ass...but it would be very minimal...it only accounts for about 2% of a school budget. (that you as tax payers voted to have). The benefits that the kids, parents and community recieve from athletics far out wiegh the cost. Character, civility, citizenship, team work, goals, decision making and structure just to name a few.

Poor coaches? Really? I'm sure (positive) that there are some out there..why? Why, because none of you DA will get off your know it all arses and go get CERTIFIED like ALL other NYS coaches are required to do to coach at a public school. Many go to clinics, and professional developments to get better. Many lower level coaches do not....but the Varsity coach usually shares the info. Mod., and Jv kids learn the basics and are furtherd developed as the go along. But most kids want to be good but do NOT work at their craft. Then when they don't do well...BLAME THE COACH. easy to do. How about work at it. I've never seen a kid not get what they deserve.

It's not the x's and o's...it's the Jims and the Joe's.

Club sports...great. But so are interscholastic athletics. Most "club" (soccer) and AAU (basketball) are the kids who want to go on to the next level. You do not have "Billie Joe Bob" who just wants to hang with his boys after school and be part of a great experience in high school. They have the best of the best who are willing to pay big bucks. Thats all good...but do not start ripping scholastic coaches with out knowing your ship!

These insane parents reliving the glory days through their kids, who pray every night that their overbearing parent stops embarrassing then, need to move to Texas where the football coaches make more than the teachers, and the kids can't read.

Guest Guest

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! Crazy talk. It's a low-paid part-time job, and you want them to spend their summers at coaching clinics? What world do you live in?

Thanks for your input Mr/Ms Teacher. Not in your union contract to stay current on what you teach huh? Yeah, it's crazy to think these poor overworked teachers would actually care enough to try to do a good job. Why should they? They're entitled to the coaches pay checks.

Guest Guest

The parents can't coach, period. It has nothing to do with time. It would be tragedy to let you know-it-all parents coach at any level higher than toddler.

I disagree. If you want to say MOST you might be right. Just like I agree MOST teachers are not qualified to coach. Some of the best coaching I have seen has come from parents. It isn't whether it's a parent or teacher. In either case, if someone is willing to realize it's about the kids and not them, and put in the time and effort to be trained then I support them. Parents shouldn't be excluded and teachers shouldn't be given preference. Who is best qualified is the only question.

Guest Guest

Thanks for your input Mr/Ms Teacher. Not in your union contract to stay current on what you teach huh? Yeah, it's crazy to think these poor overworked teachers would actually care enough to try to do a good job. Why should they? They're entitled to the coaches pay checks.

More crazy talk! We're talking about coaching little Johnny's team, not what's taught in the classroom, that's a totally different conversation.

BUT, it's telling how you obviously put as much value on who's coaching little Johnny as you do who's TEACHING him. That's very telling. It's sports ... get a grip. You've just demonstrated that you think high school sports are as important as learning. Keep yelling from the stands, you make your kids proud!

Guest Guest

More crazy talk! We're talking about coaching little Johnny's team, not what's taught in the classroom, that's a totally different conversation.

BUT, it's telling how you obviously put as much value on who's coaching little Johnny as you do who's TEACHING him. That's very telling. It's sports ... get a grip. You've just demonstrated that you think high school sports are as important as learning. Keep yelling from the stands, you make your kids proud!

You absolutely must be a teacher, your post is completely nonsensical. You are a complete moron, we can only hope you're not teaching "little Johnny". Wow, what a moron.

Guest Guest

You absolutely must be a teacher, your post is completely nonsensical. You are a complete moron, we can only hope you're not teaching "little Johnny". Wow, what a moron.

You absolutely must be a parent who yells from the stands, you can't even follow a 2-post argument without your emotions blowing up. Your little Johnny thinks you are a complete moron, we can only hope he listens to his coach and not you. Wow, another backwards parent attacking teachers for no reason and putting all of their emphasis on sports. Sad.

Sigh, hopefully the teachers you hate can teach your kids what you are unable to.

Guest Guest

Highly unlikely.

What you have to realize is that most former alledged "athletes" have to live with is something called "Delusions of alledged graduer".

As the years pass, their accomplishments in sports grow. At one point they may have been on a team. Five years after HS they started on Offense.

Ten years post graduation they played both ways and were a team captain. A couple kids come along and they were All Metro with a full ride to Syracuse or Rutgers and if it hadn't been for _____________, they might've been something.

So they know what they are talking about, or at least they think they do.

Most importantly, they know more than the coach regardless of who he is, what their kid's ability is, and how much "talent" actually exists on their team.

Add the College of Google Coaching Academy to their resume and you have what is referred to as

"How many different ways can we eff up Little Johnny's opportunity to enjoy athletics" Syndrome, for which there is only one cure.

That of course is when said son/daughter recognizes what a complete shittank their old man is and decides to find their own way in sports and life in general.

Guest Highly certified coach

Highly unlikely.

What you have to realize is that most former alledged "athletes" have to live with is something called "Delusions of alledged graduer".

As the years pass, their accomplishments in sports grow. At one point they may have been on a team. Five years after HS they started on Offense.

Ten years post graduation they played both ways and were a team captain. A couple kids come along and they were All Metro with a full ride to Syracuse or Rutgers and if it hadn't been for _____________, they might've been something.

So they know what they are talking about, or at least they think they do.

Most importantly, they know more than the coach regardless of who he is, what their kid's ability is, and how much "talent" actually exists on their team.

Add the College of Google Coaching Academy to their resume and you have what is referred to as

"How many different ways can we eff up Little Johnny's opportunity to enjoy athletics" Syndrome, for which there is only one cure.

That of course is when said son/daughter recognizes what a complete shittank their old man is and decides to find their own way in sports and life in general.

Sounds like your speaking of your own personal experience. Or, someone peed in your cherieos.

Guest yomothaibang

Sounds like your speaking of your own personal experience. Or, someone peed in your cherieos.

More meathead input from a putz who can't spell.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nvdad

So its summer season. Are there any HS coaches who can tell us they are going to training clinics? I know many of you are. I salute you. I hope seeing your response will motivate others to do the same!

Would love to see if for lacrosse, volleyball, basketball and swimming..... lacrosse is growing all around us, but seemingly few coaches are keeping up with the evolution. We are looking at giving a 21 yr old a HS coaching position ... he knows the sport, played the sport for years with youth, HS and Div 2. Trouble is he is up against an non-experience HS gym teacher who wants to coach for the extra $. I wonder who will get the job???

Guest Guest

Sounds to me like a teacher who feels threatened when people ask about what kind of training most HS coaches have to maintain to get their extra pay checks. The stock response is to attack the parents who expect some level of professionalism but get union teacher level incompetence.

Archived