Former Giants punter Dave Jennings succumbs to Parkinson's disease

WolfMan

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/06/19/dave-jennings-obit-parkinsons-disease-giants-jets/2438821/

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Former New York Giants punter and radio analyst Dave Jennings has died. He was 61.

The Giants announced that Jennings died at his home in Upper Saddle River on Wednesday morning.

The most prolific punter in franchise history, Jennings had battled Parkinson's disease, a chronic degenerative neurological disorder, since 1996.

Jennings played for the Giants from 1974-84. He holds the franchise records for punts (931, or 405 more than second-place Sean Landeta) and yards (38,792). Jennings was selected to play in the Pro Bowl in 1978, '79, '80 and '82. He punted a career-high 104 times in 1979, which was the Giants record until Brad Maynard had 111 punts in 1997.

Jennings played his final three seasons with the New York Jets.

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants," said Giants president John Mara in a statement. "He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. More importantly, he was an outstanding person who battled his illness with rare courage and dignity. We will miss him dearly."

Added Giants chairman Steve Tisch, "Dave is and always will be a Giants' Giant. He lived his life with class and dignity, and he was the ultimate professional as a player and commentator."

"Dave was the very first player I met when I came to the Giants," said Hall of Fame linebacker Harry Carson. "When I met him I felt so welcomed. Dave was a guy that everyone not only liked, but loved. Anyone who knew Dave would say he was a great guy. He was a terrific person with a bubbly personality.

"The Giants were not very good when Dave and I were teammates in the 1970s. Dave was one of the few bright lights on those teams as a punter."

Archived