NFL and guns- new policies needed

The Wanker

I don't normally follow this topic and almost never post here.

Today, though, I feel compelled to.

In light of the Aaron Hernandez arrest for (alleged) murder and this story, it is my opinion that Goodell needs to talk to his lawyers and find a way to institute a new policy. It should allow him to unilaterally, permanently and immediately ban for life any player, staff and team and stadium employee who is convicted of any offense that is related to illegal gun (weapon) ownership, handling or firing. His ability to ban offending players should also not be contestable by the NFLPA.

In Hernandez's case, the Patriots figured it out and disassociate themselves from him even before he was arrested (I think). Either they got the inside scoop from someone in law enforcement before the story broke in the media, or they just recognized that this is not something they wanted to deal with on any level, and cut their potential losses from the start. Sadly, for them, the Pat will forever be mentioned in any story related to Hernandez.

Technically, he is still a free agent, which is just not right.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/29/us/indianapolis-colts-player-arrested/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Today, this story breaks. This sounds like a couple of drunken idiots, one of whom couldn't keep from figuratively shooting himself in the foot while living a life most young men will only ever dream of.

Another tale of Too Much Money and Not Enough Brains=Rich Fools Screwing Up Their Lives Forever and Taking Other People With Them.

Goodell would also do himself and the future of the League a favor if he could enact new policy dictating that teams cannot hire rookies who have certain college or high school-age behavioral offenses. That would weed out the undesirables on the front end and let us get back to reading NFL news about the actual sport, and not which idiots are under arrest this week.

Guest Guest

And while he's at it, Goodell should add knives to his list of banned objects. Any player found to possess, acquire, sell, use, or cut up a steak with a knife should be permanently banned. OJ would be a free man if he hadn't had one bad night with a knife.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest

I don't normally follow this topic and almost never post here.

Today, though, I feel compelled to.

In light of the Aaron Hernandez arrest for (alleged) murder and this story, it is my opinion that Goodell needs to talk to his lawyers and find a way to institute a new policy. It should allow him to unilaterally, permanently and immediately ban for life any player, staff and team and stadium employee who is convicted of any offense that is related to illegal gun (weapon) ownership, handling or firing. His ability to ban offending players should also not be contestable by the NFLPA.

In Hernandez's case, the Patriots figured it out and disassociate themselves from him even before he was arrested (I think). Either they got the inside scoop from someone in law enforcement before the story broke in the media, or they just recognized that this is not something they wanted to deal with on any level, and cut their potential losses from the start. Sadly, for them, the Pat will forever be mentioned in any story related to Hernandez.

Technically, he is still a free agent, which is just not right.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/29/us/indianapolis-colts-player-arrested/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Today, this story breaks. This sounds like a couple of drunken idiots, one of whom couldn't keep from figuratively shooting himself in the foot while living a life most young men will only ever dream of.

Another tale of Too Much Money and Not Enough Brains=Rich Fools Screwing Up Their Lives Forever and Taking Other People With Them.

Goodell would also do himself and the future of the League a favor if he could enact new policy dictating that teams cannot hire rookies who have certain college or high school-age behavioral offenses. That would weed out the undesirables on the front end and let us get back to reading NFL news about the actual sport, and not which idiots are under arrest this week.

Not allow rookies with sketchy backgrounds? You realize that disqualifies 90% of the starters from the SEC? The quality of the NFL game would suffer so badly.

Commish Goodell isn't the answer. It's a societal problem. And you can't give Goodell all that power without the league being sued for billions in racial discrimination lawsuits.

Archived