State to close Broome Developmental Center

WolfMan

You must be a patient at the Broome Developmental Center.

When there is bad news for employees, it is almost always given on a Friday to let cooler heads prevail come Monday. This is standard business operating procedure...you seriously can't understand why this is done?

Also, like I said, the "shutdown date" is nearly three years away. I assume there will a gradual wind down, but to imply that it is "cruel" to announce this on a Friday isn't really seeing the big picture. Those who don't want to change their jobs/relocate have been given plenty of notice to seek employment elsewhere. The way the government typically operates, I bet the place stays open as long as possible and even has its closure date extended.

My guess is either you or your boyfriend is employed at the place. Why else would you care? Based on some of your previous posts, you strike me as the kind of person who would say "screw the CSEA...chain the doors shut tomorrow!"...especially considering the move was praised by advocates of the mentally disabled.

Man oh man, the BDC posts have really brought out the weird-ohs.

You are one of them.

Good bye, I am adding you to the list of people who have nothing constructive to add to a conversation.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man oh man, the BDC posts have really brought out the weird-ohs.

You are one of them.

Good bye, I am adding you to the list of people who have nothing constructive to add to a conversation.

Checkmate.

This site must be awful quiet since you've blocked half of the people that post here. Is the whole world full of idiots....or is it just you?

Well, it is already happening. There is a pressconnects article about a local family who are concerned for their child's situation.

I wonder if the "BRAVE" Louie G will contact the family to tell them that they are drama queens?

How about the Stray Cat? Will he contact them?

These 2 heartless lowlifes are so typical of some of the non caring people in Broome County. They are keyboard cowards.

http://www.pressconnects.com/article/20130727/NEWS01/307270051/Plan-consolidate-Binghamton-inpatient-mental-health-care-comes-human-price

What a gutless, cruel thing to do to people, announcing this on a Friday evening. The Cuomo administration conveniently did this so that they would not have to face the music or answer questions.

Meanwhile hundreds of employees and their families and hundreds of mentally disabled people and their families are left to contemplate their future.

Well, obviously I am in the minority, as far as this board goes, because I agree with this post.

Closures of this size, coming out of the blue, is shocking.

The Psych Ctr notice is/was bad, but at least that had been shrinking forces for some time.

Well, it is already happening. There is a pressconnects article about a local family who are concerned for their child's situation.

I wonder if the "BRAVE" Louie G will contact the family to tell them that they are drama queens?

How about the Stray Cat? Will he contact them?

These 2 heartless lowlifes are so typical of some of the non caring people in Broome County. They are keyboard cowards.

http://www.pressconnects.com/article/20130727/NEWS01/307270051/Plan-consolidate-Binghamton-inpatient-mental-health-care-comes-human-price

I called you a drama queen for making such a fuss about the announcement coming on a Friday, and tried to explain to you this is normally the case when there is bad news for employees. I wasn't making judgement against the families that are hurt by this. Obviously you have close friends or family that work at the BDC; since up until this point it was all about the employees for you and not the families.

So sorry you will need to find help for your own psychiatric problems elsewhere.

Well, obviously I am in the minority, as far as this board goes, because I agree with this post.

The Psych Ctr notice is/was bad, but at least that had been shrinking forces for some time.

Thanks.

Guest The Devils Advocate

Did you sign the petition?

Guest The Devils Advocate

I find it amusing how the right-leaning fiscal conservatives become left-leaning progressives when it involves a situation close to home.

Just an idle thought.

With 166 Clients is it really necessary to have 692 full time employees serving them? Is that ratio common?

Maybe reducing the number of employees to around 300 will help in continuing the needed services? Or is it against CSEA policy to actually look for solutions?

Just an idle thought.

With 166 Clients is it really necessary to have 692 full time employees serving them? Is that ratio common?

Maybe reducing the number of employees to around 300 will help in continuing the needed services? Or is it against CSEA policy to actually look for solutions?

That ratio had me wondering as well, but at least they are working and not on welfare.

My opinion will be an unpopular one but I make no apologies. My childhood friend was advised by a Catholic priest to institutionalize her daughter when she was born with Down Syndrome. Instead she brought her home to a strong, loving family and has immersed her in every opportunity available and raised a bright, extremely social, life loving, caring, devout, adorable young woman that holds two part time jobs. I have a neighbor that took another route and institutionalized her son at Brooms Developmental. He is brought to his parent's home by bus for a daytime visit about once a month. He is mobile and can walk on his own. I do not know much more about him as he was never introduced to anyone in our neighborhood. His parents have no other children and they have retired early and spend most all their time working in their yard. I have often thought it sad that this young man might have flourished had he been afforded the benefit of living in his family home and being exposed to more social situations. Broome Developmental has cared for a wide range of special needs people but not all of them need to be institutionalized. I am hoping that we gain a new neighbor on our street.

The closing of BDC is not "out of the blue". They have been shrinking their population for years. Additionally, that center has been plagued by mismanagement, health department citations, violations, etc. Everybody who has any connection to that place at all could see this coming,

The closing of BDC is not "out of the blue". They have been shrinking their population for years. Additionally, that center has been plagued by mismanagement, health department citations, violations, etc. Everybody who has any connection to that place at all could see this coming,

Mismanagement, health dept citations and violations are impossible to avoid. The number of federal, state and local laws are staggering.

Every business in the country would have to shut down for these kind of violations.

How does BDC compare to other sites?

Is there a website that lists the number of violations for each site?

Well, obviously I don't have the necessary connection. :rolleyes:

Well, obviously I don't have the necessary connection. :rolleyes:

I know what it is like. I remember the comments that I heard when my job was on the line.

Not everyone is thoughtless and cruel. Piling on with "you should have known" and "Dollar General" comments sure don't help.

Good luck. I hope everything works out for you.

Oh, thanks, but I don't work there...thank God.

I do, however, know alot of "friends of friends" that have worked there for years.

I know they've continued to hire, and that many people work alot of OT, so...it's not like all those employees are standing around picking their noses.

Archived