State to close Broome Developmental Center

WolfMan

LOL, We already let the State and the Union decide on the staffing levels perhaps a comparison to facilities in other states and the respective $ / patient.

I agree that I don't have the staffing information or the measured effectiveness of the Programs. If BDC's numbers are competetive I would think they would be citing them to keep the facility open.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL, We already let the State and the Union decide on the staffing levels perhaps a comparison to facilities in other states and the respective $ / patient.

I agree that I don't have the staffing information or the measured effectiveness of the Programs. If BDC's numbers are competetive I would think they would be citing them to keep the facility open.

While I'm not quite on board with RR's contention that "the public sector isn't your common day private sector job of 9-5. Its 24/7" (if anything, many public employees seem to do anything they can to dodge even getting 40 hours in) in the case of this particular institution, he's going to be correct.

They need staff for the day shift, the evening shift, the overnight shift, weekends, and there are no holiday closures. You're probably looking at taking whatever contingent you'd need to provide care at any given time and multiplying it by five to make sure there's always adequate staffing, and you're not just talking about direct patient care, but also about management, maintenance, clerical work, etc.

That's really not an outrageous number at all, and if anybody who knew what they were talking about thought it was the real reason for the closure, the state would be citing it to propose a cutback, not an outright closure. I don't think "competitiveness" is the issue here so much as just eliminating these institutions altogether regardless of efficiency, which is the Albany's stated goal.

"The best thing for this area is not a democrat, not a republican but someone with enough guts to present reality and not have their strings pulled. We are all suffering because of this and these closing DO NOT have to happen. All you have to do is look at the amount of free dollars New York State has thrown around lately. The whole problem is politics and an unwillingness to admit they don't know what they're doing... Then again they may know exactly what they're doing and that is to purposely depress an area."

Both parties don't give a damn for upstate. The Republicans know they almost never have a governor, senator, congressman or president voted in from NY, and the Democrats know they have a lock on the vote. Both good reasons not to waste resources here. Cuomo knows that all he needs to do to keep the votes, is to make NYC and long Island happy. His trips upstate only involve universities and the votes concentrated there from those who's lives revolve around state spending. The rest is flyover country.

"State officials said the closures are consistent with the federal mandate under the Supreme Court's 1999 ruling that individuals with developmental disabilities have the right under the Americans with Disabilities Act to live in a less restrictive community setting where appropriate."

http://www.timesunion.com/default/article/New-York-to-close-4-institutions-for-the-disabled-4689274.php

"State officials said the closures are consistent with the federal mandate under the Supreme Court's 1999 ruling that individuals with developmental disabilities have the right under the Americans with Disabilities Act to live in a less restrictive community setting where appropriate."

http://www.timesunion.com/default/article/New-York-to-close-4-institutions-for-the-disabled-4689274.php

"No one should live in an institution," said Cathy Loquercio, board president of the Self-Advocacy Association of New York State. "As people with developmental and other disabilities, we believe that we should live in our community, in our own home or a small home or apartment with the people we chose to live with, among our friends and neighbors, and with the supports we need to be contributing citizens.".................................................

Both quotes from the same Times Union article. Who determines what is "appropriate" ?. Generally in the health care arena, for the past 25 or so years the trend has been insurance companies deciding what "appropriate" care is. Now the state determines what "appropriate" care is. Cathy Loquerico of the Self-Advocacy Association (patients)of New York State is deciding what "appropriate" care is.

Where is the physician? Are they involved in what is "appropriate" care?

Some thing is very wrong here, everyone BUT a physician seems to be involved. It is apparent that government accountants with a medical book in one hand, in the other a cost, benefit, and investment chart, will determine what is "appropriate" care.

Why waste time and money, just implement eugenics. It was highly supported in the U.S. at one time, it could be again.

800px-United_States_eugenics_advocacy_po

Sengui,

While I bite the hell out of my tongue, please describe how you suggest we implement eugenics.

I did not want to take away from the impact of where we are heading with a disclaimer. I absolutely do not, nor ever will accept anything that takes or degrades innocent human life.

I can see it coming like a train wreck in slow motion. "Managed" health care, be it private or governmental, puts a price on life. An accountant with a rule book will determine the quality and duration of human life. This is not a good thing.

I did not want to take away from the impact of where we are heading with a disclaimer. I absolutely do not, nor ever will accept anything that takes or degrades innocent human life.

I can see it coming like a train wreck in slow motion. "Managed" health care, be it private or governmental, puts a price on life. An accountant with a rule book will determine the quality and duration of human life. This is not a good thing.

You are correct. If there comes a time when cost of treatment outweighs the worth of the patient....well...... Rest assured it will happen as they do not want a drain on the capital involved. This is not a good thing. I've seen this aspect brought up in more than a few discussions with health care professionals especially with the dawn of Obamacare.

You are correct. If there comes a time when cost of treatment outweighs the worth of the patient....well...... Rest assured it will happen as they do not want a drain on the capital involved. This is not a good thing. I've seen this aspect brought up in more than a few discussions with health care professionals especially with the dawn of Obamacare.

Exactly. The ONLY way to cut costs is to reduce benefits. It is already known that for the average person, 50% of health care costs are spent in the last 2 years of their life.

That means if you reduce care to 0 when a patient is at the end of life, 50% of costs will be eliminated, along with the patient.

why not close it just like they did with the psych center. dump them out on the street or outscource with catholic charities noboy cares as long as theres money to be made.

probably use bdc for pediophiles

Catholic charities can't handle all those new patients, plus what about the workers at the center? Where will they go?

why not close it just like they did with the psych center. dump them out on the street or outscource with catholic charities noboy cares as long as theres money to be made.

probably use bdc for pediophiles

Ok, I get the satire, but who will make the money?

This is the time of year, again, when I have almost no time to come to this site.

Anyway.... Senator Tom Libous was on Bob Joseph's morning show yesterday. Broome Developmental Center came up.

Libous was very concerned that there are dangerous sex offenders, there, who simply can't be main-streamed into the local area. How ironic that he was one of those who pushed to move them here years ago.

I haven't followed this thread with any interest yet. I remember Bob's predecessor, Tony Russell, had a much less sympathetic view toward that place because of the perverts that live there. I think his house is almost next door to that place.

So... where will those perverts go? Can they be re-exported back to wherever they came from?

Yeah, moving and building a "special needs people" center near where I live. Heard some are sex offenders. They kept this quiet. Been seeing the destruction of trees and the quiet of our peaceful neighborhood invaded for weeks on end all day with loud noise, wood chippers and now the building is up. Just recently found out about this place - figured it was some business moving in. Very upset.

People should be upset,,,,,I work @ BDC and believe Me when I tell You, some of the People in the LIT end of the facility are NOT the kind You want to have living in Your Neighborhoods and that is all I will say about that!!!!

People should be upset,,,,,I work @ BDC and believe Me when I tell You, some of the People in the LIT end of the facility are NOT the kind You want to have living in Your Neighborhoods and that is all I will say about that!!!!

What's gonna happen to the workers

We don't know @ this point and time,,,maybe relocation positions offered away from here,,,,They are being very evasive about this :/ This is only gonna open a Pandora's box for Those of Us that live here!

We don't know @ this point and time,,,maybe relocation positions offered away from here,,,,They are being very evasive about this :/ This is only gonna open a Pandora's box for Those of Us that live here!

What about the workers that work in the community in a house? Will they be affected the same way?

Exactly. The ONLY way to cut costs is to reduce benefits. It is already known that for the average person, 50% of health care costs are spent in the last 2 years of their life.

That means if you reduce care to 0 when a patient is at the end of life, 50% of costs will be eliminated, along with the patient.

I see no problem with this as long as elective euthanasia is legalized so it can be a viable choice for those who no longer have any quality life remaining.

A person can do away with themselves now. No one needs to get medical people involved.

Not everyone has the means available to dispatch themselves quickly and painlessly. I agree that most anyone can poison themselves or paint the walls with their brains from a shotgun blast or choose any one of many means to end their life but if we really want to implement the cost cutting measures described than we must give our medical professions the authority to euthanize those who choose it.

Not everyone has the means available to dispatch themselves quickly and painlessly. I agree that most anyone can poison themselves or paint the walls with their brains from a shotgun blast or choose any one of many means to end their life but if we really want to implement the cost cutting measures described than we must give our medical professions the authority to euthanize those who choose it.

The next step, after what you are suggesting, is to require euthanization when there is "no hope". This is not acceptable.

People sign forms authorizing surgery. Without signing, no procedures are performed. It's a check in the system to eliminate unnecessary surgeries.

Do you really think people will be euthanized just because a doctor says so?

Archived