tim mcgraw concert CRAP...

a taxpayer

Everyone here complains about how nothing ever happens in Broome County and how there are not enough big events to draw in people (read: money) from other communities.

Yet, we have a nationally recognized musician come here to perform and all you hear is how bad the Dick's Open is in comparison to the BC Open, how poor the organization is, how noisy it is, and how terrible the fellow concert goers are. Remember those other people are not only your neighbors but also the people that came here from other communities to spend their money in ours; not only at the concert, but at hotels, gas stations, grocery stores, etc.

How often do you people attend large events? No I'm not talking about going to the Dick's Open once a year or (gasp!) leaving Broome County and going to a concert at Montage every 5 years? Concerts are loud, they are unorganized, "expensive", full of drunks, and a really good time if you know how to have one and leave your misery elsewhere.

Over time, this community will get what it deserves, and I believe desires, as young and talented children leave for college never to return. Just reading this board you can't blame the kids. This place is full of NIMBY's that will never allow any sort of development, be it a large firm or concert series, to flourish. We can't even handle a major concert once a year.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Louis, like I said..... A change of venue.... Possibly the football stadium would have been more organized and controllable. I personally hate drunks at concerts and I used used to be in a local well known band back in the eighties so I kind of know the importance of a good venue for an event of this magnitude.

Louis, like I said..... A change of venue.... Possibly the football stadium would have been more organized and controllable. I personally hate drunks at concerts and I used used to be in a local well known band back in the eighties so I kind of know the importance of a good venue for an event of this magnitude.

We have a football stadium that could hold a concert of this magnitude? If so, how do you plan to get some of the larger corporate tents into that venue? So you're just going to have all those people watch golf all day and then get into their cars and drive to a separate venue just to watch the concert? The whole point is that the concert is AT En Joie.

So sorry you had to hear faded loud music in Vestal. Are we going to petition to have the fireworks somewhere near Triangle or Caroline next year as to not disturb the peace?

Guest BC Voice of Reason

I am looking forward to next year's concert already since all you whiny sticks-in-the-mud have vowed not to go back. I couldn't care less about country music. I didn't know a single Tim McGraw song before the concert, and honestly I didn't care. I took a day off from work to hang out with some friends, drink a few beers, watch a little golf, and listen to some music. I did all of that -- and I had a great time. I've done the same thing the past 4-5 years and somehow I've always managed to have a good time.

Never in my life have I been to an area where I've heard so much complaining. Someone got FREE tickets to a concert and they are complaining! Unreal. I swear, if some of you people were given a wheelbarrow full of gold you'd just complain that it's too heavy!

We have a football stadium that could hold a concert of this magnitude? If so, how do you plan to get some of the larger corporate tents into that venue? So you're just going to have all those people watch golf all day and then get into their cars and drive to a separate venue just to watch the concert? The whole point is that the concert is AT En Joie.

So sorry you had to hear faded loud music in Vestal. Are we going to petition to have the fireworks somewhere near Triangle or Caroline next year as to not disturb the peace?

I had no complaint about the music. I just mentioned I could hear it.

And yes.... a change of venue would be good. So what if everybody is at the golf course. Isn't this supposed to be a community event ??

You could even run a bus from the golf course to the stadium for all the drunks. Maybe a few limos for the important folks.

Corporate tents could be set up with no problem.

You put the stage at one end of the stadium and then let the people in.

Now if the event is going to overflow the stadium then there is a serious issue because there isn't a proper venue big enough to get it done, properly....

But then again Louis everybody here is just a NIMBY, naysayer or whatever.

What I'm getting at is you do it right, you do it well, everybody enjoys themselves with no complaints.

It also makes the area look good instead of some jerkwater town that decided to have a concert in a field because bottom line, that's how this is coming across.

Transporting 25,000 people from a golf event to a stadium that far away is virtually impossible. Who does that?

Where do you get enough buses? It would take 6 hours. Where do you have parking for that many people at the stadium?

If people can't handle maneuvering in a crowd of drunks, how will they sit on a bus with dozens of them for a few hours?

I can't imagine the liability issues.

Considering a personal report given to me today I believe organizers better take a long hard look at future liability issues. Frankly if they don't address problems that were quite evident during this concert the next one may get shut down. The person I spoke with is well known and has some clout. He left early and his reasons were quite sound. Not good.

except the golf tourney starts at 830 am and stops about 5pm or so thats a long day esp. if your drinking beers. So I don't think the concert is for most golf fans.thats a 3 1/2 to 4 hour wait standing someplace doing nothing waiting for the concert to start.

except the golf tourney starts at 830 am and stops about 5pm or so thats a long day esp. if your drinking beers. So I don't think the concert is for most golf fans.thats a 3 1/2 to 4 hour wait standing someplace doing nothing waiting for the concert to start.

Do you think everyone shows up at 8:30am?

And for those who do, they can go home to take a break and come back at 6.

You really don't think logically.

doubtful, no one does that unless you live very close to the course. and real golfers and fans are there real early to see the golf and players. the rest are there to get out of work and get drunk.I go every year and if you didn't notice,next year watch over by the big beer tents where you come in to the course at all the people who are standing only there for hours just drinking beer and not evern watching or interested in the golf tourney itself. they my be the ones you are talking about and not the golf fans.

I saw Bonjovi at Met Life Stadium*.....FANTASTIC It was extremely well organized. There were plenty of porta pottys in the parking lot and inside the stadium there was a short wait at the vendors booths, the same for the rest rooms. Seating was assigned, including on the playing field. Security was very good. The person in front of me was smoking, that lasted 10 minutes before an usher made her put it out. There were beer sales, but they closed up before the concert ended. I did not see anyone visibly intoxicated, I believe uniformed security would not let it become an issue. I will admit I remained seated for thirty minutes for the crowd to thin out but thy were gone in about 20. The other 10 minutes I was watching the set tear down. Once in the car, we were on the highway in another 30 minutes. It would be well worth taxpayer money to send whomever organizes these events locally to Met Stadium and take notes how it is done by people who do this once a week.

Was the Mc Graw event open or festival seating? There was a law enacted banning this practice after several people were killed at a concert. They fell and were crushed. Every person now must be accounted for and attendance is not to exceed a capacity limit. There is no festival seating at the Arena. Was there some type of exception granted? This was not like a church festival, the concert was promoted as such and should be considered a separate event. Admission could be managed by selling a different type of numbered Open button with a $10.00 surcharge. The open organizers would make money to hire professional security and the concert would be an event to enjoy, not endure.

What governmental entity is responsible for supervising the event, golf course owner Endicott, course operator, Broome County , or organizers of the Open? Were there fireworks? Out about 5 miles on Rt. 38b I heard very loud explosions Saturday night.

* NY Giants home field.

NO. Try to change it. Find out who to communicate with, make a list of problems, AND suggest solutions, send it. Or possibly Email this thread to your elected representative who is a member of whatever level of government is responsible for the Open.

Why do they have a concert at all? Its a golf tourney.Its all about professional golf.have a concert at another time and place.

You and Wanker <post#35> are both right. So if they don't take your suggestion why couldn't they have roped off beer tents like a lot of county fairs do? Come on in! Drink, puke, fight yourselves! Just don't interfere with the majority who aren't into that kind of thing. If you do, you are out of the event completely.

75'

Since when is the Dick's Open government run?

Endicott owns the golf course, Broome County operates it. One of these entities signs a lease contract with the Open's sponsor. Our elected representatives do have the power to straighten things out. Ultimately liability trickles by percentages down to the owner and operator since they do have a say in how the facility is used. It sounds like a law suit waiting to happen. For that matter, if a governmental body is notified in writing of a hazardous condition a specified number of days prior to an accident, it may be liable. At least this is what I was told concerning huge pot holes, road way washouts, damaged guide rail, standing water, etc..

Have someone report a big puddle in the highway on Monday, have an accident because of it on Friday, and put on the neck brace then call "The Heavy Hitters".

I would say it depends on who the band is? I don't like country at all but my wifes friends were there so she wanted to go. I get free tickets every year at my workplace. next year a modern rock band (kgb) style not them old bands from 20-30 years ago would be great. Seether,nickleback,three days grace, breakin bengamin. bands like this would attract alot of young people to the area also.But again I really don't care as I go to watch the golf mainly.these guys are good.

Endicott owns the golf course, Broome County operates it. One of these entities signs a lease contract with the Open's sponsor. Our elected representatives do have the power to straighten things out. Ultimately liability trickles by percentages down to the owner and operator since they do have a say in how the facility is used. It sounds like a law suit waiting to happen. For that matter, if a governmental body is notified in writing of a hazardous condition a specified number of days prior to an accident, it may be liable. At least this is what I was told concerning huge pot holes, road way washouts, damaged guide rail, standing water, etc..

Have someone report a big puddle in the highway on Monday, have an accident because of it on Friday, and put on the neck brace then call "The Heavy Hitters".

not sure but I think the country may have taken over the golf course a couple of years ago,as the village of endicott said it was losing money every year on the course.

When I attend and event, concert anything I would prefer to not have beer spilled on me, my toes stepped on by people so drunk they can't walk straight and have cigarette smoke in my face no matter where I go. That venue it WAY too small to have 25k people there. 12-14k would be more managable.

Louis G., I am not complaining about having a concert. But I would like to go to a concert, see the stage from a reasonable distance (not 200 yards away off to the side), actually hear the music (not muffled), not be surrounded by people having loud conversations amongst themselves (as in drunk loud speaking), and having cigarette and cigar smoke in my face the entire time

Is that really too much to ask???? to go to a concert and actually enjoy it...??

My suggestion: limit number of tickets to 12k to 14k, smoke and drink in desiginated areas and move the stage to an area so people can stand in front of the entire stage area and not just the left side of the stage because they don't want people standing on the 18th green.

Archived