PeteMoss

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank God, obama did not try to change dental insurance:

"If you like your teeth, you can keep your teeth, period."

Whoops!

:)

That was sprayyourcoffeeoutyournose funny.

Why does it work in Canada and not here? Why do people eat healthy in Canada and not here? Why do people buy prescription drugs from Canada and not here?

Democrats and Republicans can't acknowledge when something is good. Because if they don't think of it, its not.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/09/26/ottawas-overhaul-of-health-care-funding-has-left-enormous-fiscal-gap-for-provinces-pbo-warns/

The Conservative government is downloading billions of dollars of health-care costs on the provinces, says the parliamentary budget officer, making federal finances sustainable over the long term but leaving provincial governments to stare down severe financial pains in the coming years.

The PBO’s annual long-term fiscal sustainability report released Thursday says the Harper government’s decision to scale back the growth in Canada Health Transfer payments means provincial governments will increasingly struggle to afford health-care services for their citizens.

In the first major report under new budget officer Jean-Denis Frechette, the PBO says Canada’s rapidly aging population is placing enormous financial strains on federal, provincial and local governments trying to provide increasingly expensive services.

The Conservative government’s spending cuts, changes to health-care funding, and its move to increase the Old Age Security qualifying age to 67 have created billions of dollars in fiscal breathing room for the federal government in the short term, and leave federal finances sustainable over the long term (next 75 years), the report says.

Our government’s finances are on a fiscally sustainable path

But Ottawa’s overhaul of medical funding has created an enormous “fiscal gap” for the provinces, the PBO notes. Health spending is expected to grow by an average of 4.9 per cent annually between now and 2050 — a higher rate than federal funding increases.

Provincial governments will either have to cut spending on programs and services or raise additional revenue through measures such as new or increased taxes if they hope to keep their finances sustainable in the coming years, the PBO says.

“The federal fiscal structure has been transformed from unsustainable in 2011 to sustainable — with substantial fiscal room — largely through spending restraint and reform of the Canada Health Transfer (CHT) escalator,” the PBO says in its report, which examines a “what if” scenario assuming existing policies continue in the future.

Related

Frank Swedlove: Canada's hidden health-care crisis

Brett Skinner: Don’t blame prescription drugs for increased healthcare costs

Most Canadians doubt health care system prepared to handle ‘tsunami’ of aging boomers, new poll shows

Steven Lewis and Terrence Sullivan: How doctors are bankrupting health care

‘Health-care is not free in Canada’: Report says Canadians think wealth is No. 1 factor for good health

“However, the federal fiscal room created by the change in the CHT escalator has transferred the fiscal burden to provinces and territories and raised the fiscal gap of the PTLA (provinces, territories, local, and aboriginal governments)…”

The PBO says the federal government’s spending restraint means it should be able to achieve its target of reducing Canada’s federal debt-to-GDP ratio to 25 per cent by 2021, and could potentially eliminate its $627-billion debt by 2044.

The various federal reforms — assuming Ottawa can maintain its debt-to-GDP levels over the long term, in the face of changing demographics — represent an extra $24.8 billion in fiscal breathing room for the federal government in 2013, according to the PBO. The government is projecting an $18.7-billion deficit for the current 2013-14 fiscal year.

“We are pleased to see that the PBO continues to believe that our government’s finances are on a fiscally sustainable path,” Finance Minister Jim Flaherty’s press secretary, Marie Prentice, said in a statement.

The fiscal imbalance is back and it’s thanks to Stephen Harper

On the flip side, the PTLA governments would have to increase revenues or cut spending (or a combination) by $36.2 billion in 2013 to eliminate the fiscal gap and return to more sustainable spending levels.

Flaherty announced in 2011 a 10-year health-funding arrangement with the provinces that takes effect in 2014 and will maintain the annual increase in health transfers at six per cent until 2016-17.

But after that, health-care funding increases will be tied to the rate of the country’s economic growth, including inflation — currently less than four per cent — and will never fall below three per cent.

The scheduled increases in transfers to the provinces will still see federal health funding reach record levels, growing to more than $40 billion in 2020-21.

But Canada’s premiers warned last year in a report the new federal health accord will gut nearly $36 billion in funding to the provinces over the 10-year deal and will erode public health services to all Canadians.

On Thursday, the official Opposition said the PBO report is further evidence the Harper government is trying to balance the books on the backs of the provinces and territories.

“The fiscal imbalance is back and it’s thanks to Stephen Harper and Jim Flaherty,” NDP finance critic Peggy Nash said in a statement.

“Far from putting our fiscal house in order, this report shows how Conservative cuts to the Canada Health Transfer and Old Age Security are actually just downloaded these costs onto the provinces and individual Canadians.”

http://www.canadian-healthcare.org/page9.html

Health Care and the Economy

Canada's health care has a large impact on the Canadian economy. Here are a few facts and figures about the economy and health care:

• Health care expenditures in Canada topped $100 billion in 2001.
  • Approximately 9.5% of Canada's gross domestic product is spent on health care. In comparison, the United States spends close to 14% of its GDP on health care.
  • Individually, Canadians spend about $3300 per capita on health care.
  • At a provincial level, funding is between one-third and one-half of what provinces spend on social programs.
  • About three-quarters of all funding comes from public sources, with the remainder from private sources such as businesses and private insurance.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/content/sen/committee/372/soci/rep/repoct02vol6part2-e.htm

PARLIAMENT of CANADA
The Health of Canadians – The Federal Role

Final Report

Volume Six: Recommendations for Reform

PART III: THE HEALTH CARE GUARANTEE

As well, section 3 of the Act provides that the primary objective of Canadian health care policy is:

to protect, promote and restore the physical and mental well-being of residents of Canada and to facilitate reasonable access to health services without financial or other barriers.

These statements from the Canada Health Act, supportive as they are, do not grant a right to health care.

Similarly, international instruments such as the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, 1948, to which Canada is a signatory, speak of the right to a standard of living adequate for health and well-being, including medical care and the right to security in the event of sickness and disability; but they too do not provide a basis for a constitutional, or even legal, right to health care.[4]

Clearly, there is a significant discrepancy between what the public believes and the absence of a legal right to health care.

Despite the absence of a legislated right to health care, there is a growing body of literature and court decisions on the effect of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms in the context of health care. Of particular interest are the implications of section 7 of the Charter for the provision of timely health care in Canada.

It was sustainable for the next 75 years.

Then who gets screwed? Those paying for everyone long since consumed by fish bait? The ACA is the same Ponzi gig as Social Security. It depends on a very young, expanding base paying into the system, and not using the services. Since they are covered by mommy and daddy until they are 25, there is a bunch not buying into the scam.

They may want to consider defunding birth control and abortion. Once the OB and pediatric bills are paid, you have a new worker bee who will work until her wings wear down to the point where she cannot fly. At that point, the old, useless worker bees, not worth the cost of an artificial wing, fall to the hive's floor. The next generation then throws them out.

Don't trust anyone under 30.

только 75 лет? Увидимся позже друг

Obamacare, Medicare and Social Security are NOT Ponzi schemes. In a Ponzi scheme, you have a choice whether to participate or not.

Obamacare, Medicare and Social Security are worse than Ponzi schemes. The are MANDATORY payments you must make if you work. You have no choice.

Obamacare, Medicare and Social Security are NOT Ponzi schemes. In a Ponzi scheme, you have a choice whether to participate or not.

Obamacare, Medicare and Social Security are worse than Ponzi schemes. The are MANDATORY payments you must make if you work. You have no choice.

Picky picky picky. You are correct. You do have to choose whether to buy into a Ponzi or not. The IRS makes sure we buy into one. The majority of our peers wanted something for nothing with full faith they would not have to pay for, or pay less for insurance.

Not only can you not keep your doctor and plan, you have no choice in coverage. Thus voiding existing plans. All the insurance companies do is issue the same policies to conform to what coverage the ACA deems is correct for you. Keep your doctor, plan? In two years there will be no need for insurance companies. They will not be able to sell to individual needs, thats where competition comes in.

The government has now defined your needs in order to distribute cost. If you had a vasectomy, or tubes tied in 1985, or are well beyond menopause, you are receiving, and paying for birth control. You do not need, or will ever need that service but the ACA requires your policy to include it. The same applies to the deductible. If you can afford a very high deductible in order to reduce premiums, to bad. Fork over the higher premium.

Did you ever hear of a DNS, denial of service attack on a website? That is what the ACA is all about. The only way to keep costs from runaway meltdown, is to deny your 70 year old father a pacemaker. Thats a twofer the price saved on one! Save cost by denying the pacemaker. He will kick off fast and no further ACA funds will be wasted maintaining a spent, nonproductive life that cannot pay into the system.

WTF, we sucked that person dry for over 50 years, if we give nothing back look at the money we save so we can buy more votes. It will probably be worth 30 pieces of Silver! I am so happy! I want to kiss you!

osculo prodidit

Guest RogerRebuttal

People worry so much about healthcare, healthcare plans, prescription drugs etc etc... Maybe if people didn't live as free as they do and stay within their means, we wouldn't be in this predicament. You guys offer what you think are solutions, and they are, fascist solutions.

The solution is simple. Cut down on your sugar intake. Don't drink carbonated drinks. Don't drink juice, eat fruit. Monitor your protein and carb intake. Don't eat fast food. Don't drink alcohol, unless its one glass of wine per day or less. Don't smoke. And EXERCISE

What fills up our healthcare system isn't governments failure. What fills up our healthcare system is a bunch of idiot so- called americans that look for assistance when they don't need it. They need to not infringe on others because of their weakenesses. They need to diet, sleep, and exercise to keep our costs down. Why do you think our costs go up? What do you think is the driving force of expensive health care? Dumb so- called americans.

The weakeness of our government is the FDA. That's the only problem with our country. But we the people, we don't have to fill our bellies with cancer. We just elect to fill our bellies with cancer, and then hope a tablet fixes us.

Say what you will about Canada, but we have more fat slobs walking our country than they do, because they are smart. A lot smarter than us.

Keep being dumb so-called americans blaming everyone else. The ones responsible are the ones using healthcare, because all they care about is their next fix.

They must be really desperate. If someone tries this with me, I will just respond with "I do not agree with the Obama's recommendation that Thanksgiving is a good opportunity to discuss the ACA. I will gladly discuss it with you tomorrow at lunch or coffee in the morning. This is a time to enjoy good company and be grateful., not a political discussion". I will find some way to indicate that I am aware of the organized effort, feel uncomfortable being subjected to it (they are pissing me off). and not tolerate it.

On the other hand there are people who are genuine, and I would react in an appropriate manner. I will explain that I do not wish to engage in a politics at a family dinner, but encourage we get together later on, and mean it. Anyone else who wants to join us is more than welcome, I just do not wish to subject everyone to a political discussion (debate). Many others will feel uncomfortable or be upset. The kinder and gentler method of being pissed off at the time.

I have reached a point in my life where I know the difference between politeness, and apparent agreement by tolerating such a situation. Especially after making it quite clear that I know it is part of an organized political action. I do not wish to entertain ANY political discussion at family gatherings. There are to many empty seats, including the one that had been next to mine.

If the person becomes pushy, and the host does not intervene, I will finish my pie and go talk with the kids. If things deteriorate I will thank the host and excuse myself because I have to go home and take the dog out. Let everyone else judge for themselves. I never back down from a debate, they all know it, but Thanksgiving dinner is not a good venue.

You get the idea, from either side, politics at a large family dinner is usually not a good Idea. The days of cigars in the study, behind the closed pocket doors went out many years ago.

http://www.barackobama.com/health-care-holidays/

The tips including asking your family and guests coming over for the holiday to bring the information they'd need to sign up for Obamacare, because it's absolutely not awkward at all to tell someone you'd like him to bring wine and oh, his social security number and annual salary, too. You're advised to bring up Obamacare during "family time … downtime after meals or between holiday activities."

Work really well in 2017, " Expand Medicaid" ?

Does anyone know how this works? I will admit that I do not have even a WAG (wild ass guess). Does this mean the state must increase its Medicaid budget with increased taxation? Is Obamacare going to be paid for by raising the income level at which a person qualifies for Medicaide benefits? Will the state be actually underwriting part of the ACA? I do not feel to bad about not being to clear on this considering the representatives who voted it in do not know what they voted for because they did not read it.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/12/david-plouffe-obamacare-will-work-really-well-by-2017/

"Former Obama senior adviser and ABC News contributor David Plouffe said on “This Week” Sunday that the Affordable Care Act will “work really well” when all states run their own health care exchanges and fully expand Medicaid – actions that may not be seen until President Obama is out of office in 2017.

“This program was designed to be implemented by the states. And in most of the states that are running their exchanges it’s going quite well,” Plouffe told ABC’s George Stephanopoulos. “You talked about Medicaid expansion. I think it’s just a fact, and it may take until 2017 when this president leaves office, you’re going to see almost every state in this country running their own exchanges eventually and expanding Medicaid. And I think it’ll work really well then.”

But Plouffe said as improvements are made to HealthCare.gov in the coming months, President Obama may be able to regain confidence in his health care law, and in his own political standing by early next year.

“Let’s fast forward to the State of the Union and the months after that. Health care working better, a lot of people signing up, the economy continuing to strengthen, hopefully no Washington shutdowns,” Plouffe said. “I think the president’s numbers will recover. I think people’s confidence will recover.”

“I think people trust this president,” Plouffe added. “I think there have been numbers all over the place, but I’m confident in a few months from now, those trust numbers are going to come up.” .................more follows......................

People worry so much about healthcare, healthcare plans, prescription drugs etc etc...

Cut down on your sugar intake. Don't drink carbonated drinks. Don't drink juice, eat fruit. Monitor your protein and carb intake. Don't eat fast food. Don't drink alcohol, unless its one glass of wine per day or less. Don't smoke. And EXERCISE

What fills up our healthcare system isn't governments failure. What fills up our healthcare system is a bunch of idiot so- called americans that look for assistance when they don't need it. They need to diet, sleep, and exercise to keep our costs down. Why do you think our costs go up? What do you think is the driving force of expensive health care? Dumb so- called americans.

But we the people, we don't have to fill our bellies with cancer. We just elect to fill our bellies with cancer, and then hope a tablet fixes us.

Keep being dumb so-called americans blaming everyone else. The ones responsible are the ones using healthcare, because all they care about is their next fix.

I agree some and disagree some.

Sugar intake, carbonated drink and fast food reduction....check.

The SAD (Standard American Diet) consists of way too much saturated fats and the wrong kind of carbs. If people ate more proteins and complex carbs, we wouldn't be so fat and unhealthy.

I don't think "dieting" per se is the answer. Dieting is temporary. It's a whole shift of thinking about food and change of habits that will affect a permanent change.

And including mention of booze and tobacco as part of our diet doesn't technically fit. Agreed, drink less and stop smoking are two of the most profound ways we can improve our health. Millions of people die unnecessarily from just those two.

However, any discussion of those two products has to include talk about addiction. Booze and tobacco are addictive in ways that fat and sugar aren't. You can't just say "cut back" or "stop altogether" to someone who's addicted.

You hit the nail here:

What fills up our healthcare system isn't governments failure. They need to diet, sleep, and exercise to keep our costs down. Why do you think our costs go up? What do you think is the driving force of expensive health care? Dumb so- called americans.

and here:

But we the people, we don't have to fill our bellies with cancer. We just elect to fill our bellies with cancer, and then hope a tablet fixes us.

Keep being dumb so-called americans blaming everyone else

We insist on living sedentary lives in which we abuse our body chemistry and digestive systems, and then get all frantic and self-righteous when the medical profession doesn't have an answer in a pill. Much easier to blame them for not fixing what's broke (or charging us a king's ransom) when it's us who's breaking ourselves.

Part of the problem is...well....money. Manufacturers of unhealthy products put the items on store shelves because that's what sells. However, they then also pump billions of dollars into enticing people to buy them.

So who's really to blame for our crap diet: the supply or the demand?

Years ago McDonald's tried to comply with federal regulations and market "healthy alternatives" in their stores. They sold like cold cakes. McD's finally had to scrap them from the menu cuz no one was buying them.

It is still not working correctly. Obamacare is the biggest disaster foisted on the American people in many years.

There is no security: http://www.cnbc.com/id/101225308

The self imposed deadline of Dec 1 was missed.

Wow, who would have thought that this would be such a complete flop.... :)

It warms the cockles of my heart to see patriotic Americans cheer for our elected leaders to fail miserably.

I can't quite figure out how the US will be a better, more prosperous and safer place to live if the President and half of Congress trainwreck for 8 years.

I didn't agree with a lot of what GWB did as POTUS. For instance, I thought invading Iraq on false pretenses was a mistake. Once in, though, I didn't wish for thousands of soldiers to die in colossal debacle in which GWB would have been proven totally wrong just so that I and other Americans could brag about being right.

I guess I'm not as invested in being right as I am in all of America being the best place on earth to be healthy, happy and successful.

Imagine what we could achieve if more Americans focused on what works and put their energies into that than only cheerleading for total failure for those they disagree with.

But, hey, it's America, and we are all free to do just that.

Carry on.

They fail on their own. The ACA was rammed through long before it was ready, and our elected representatives voted on it without knowing what it contained. It is constantly patched up by executive order, in effect unilateral legislation from the oval office. The government is as dysfunctional as a pig on stilts. I for one do wish to see this crash so hard it has to be halted and done properly. I am not fighting health care, but the tremendous waste of resources, unnecessary confusion, and people having their budgets for the next year destroyed.

It is frustrating when commonsense people in the real world outside the beltway, do not get enough information on what is contained proposed legislation . A legislator's job is look out for the people in their district. The vote to pass this bill did not look out for the American citizen, it looked after a political party. The press, instead of sensationalizing the political fights, should have been reporting on how congress was not doing the peoples work, but the party's work. Instead they are reporting how little faith the citizenry has in congress now, and have no faith in either party. The fourth estate is merely an advertising agency selling their souls for rating points.

There is enough failure to spread around, The judicial branch found a loop hole around the constitution, the legislative branch wrote and passed this mess, and the executive branch pushed so hard for it, that he also must have signed it without letting his advisors read it. Who would point out he is wrong? It is his way or your fired, and good luck finding another job. Why good luck? Would you hire someone on Obama's enemies list? Of course I would, I love the IRS audits!

If this happened in a European country, streets would be barricaded and buses burning. I keep forgetting, sheep do not have opposable thumbs and therefore cannot flick a Bic.

Lenin was right, we are defeating ourselves.

obamacare is a failure because obama is a failure. He always was and always will be. He is Hitleresque in his personal appearances but behind his facade, he is an ignorant, narcissistic fool.

The Germans fell for Hitler in the 1930s, the Americans fell for his clone in 2008.

Just as Hitler led them to death and destruction, obama is leading the American people to the same outcomes.

When the Nobel Peace Prize winner isn't drone bombing innocent children in Afghanistan, he is coddling our enemies in Iran.

obama is failing and he is taking us down with him. The best we can do is to save as much of our country as we can.

Public says America's world leadership has fallen to a 40 year low:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/poof-public-says-americas-world-leadership-has-tumbled-to-40-year-low/article/2540096

Guest RogerRebuttal

Obamacare isn't a failure. Those that voted it in without reading it are failures. Those that sat back and didn't amend sections in it are failures. If we were a country that cared about God, we wouldn't be bloggers passing judgement. Capitalism is the enemy, because americans only understand concepts of me, myself, and I. I pay taxes, while my brother in law fights overseas. I owe him that. Pete owes more than I do...

sounds like fox news channel on here. what are yous all gonna bitch about when the program is fixed and working like it was intended to in say a year or so?

The program is flawed. It has already been shown to restrict people's access to healthcare.

They had 3 years to implement the program. One more year will not matter. The website should have been up and running on October 1st.

Archived