Masahiro Tanaka to Yanks for $155M

27 Time World Champions

This is why I'm a Yankees fan.

They do whatever it takes to win and to reward their fans for their support. And why do they have so much money? It's because fans all over the world appreciate a history of greatness and doing whatever it takes. And they do best what baseball is supposed to do - entertain us with great moments, scoundrels, millionaires, cheats, all American heroes, great stories of triumph and tragedy and icons of the game. All in all, a great American organization that spends $ to make $ and then does it all over again.

Keep it up Yankees, you never disappoint in keeping us talking and watching

Masahiro Tanaka may be new to the majors, but he apparently already knows his audience in the Bronx.

Tanaka, held a press conference in Japan on Thursday. Asked what his goal is in MLB, Masahiro Tanaka says it’s ‘To become world champions.’

I like this guy already.

Well, I hope I am wrong and that soon a new banner flies over NYC, either in the Bronx or Queens.

Bronx....maybe. Queens may be awhile, but I'd love to see it. My favorite team is still the '86 Mets. I never missed a game and that World Series is still the most dramatic and entertaining I've ever seen.

Mets have some serious talented arms in the pipeline (Syndergaard,deGrom, Montero, Ynoa) and an already fairly decent amount at the MLB level with Gee, Neise, Meijia and Colon. Hopefully Harvey is back to what he was pre-injury. Huge hope of course. Now just add some damn bats and actual MLB players around Wright and company and maybe they have something!

I don't know much about Tanaka except what I have read and seen on youtube but he looks like he has some serious stuff. My only concern would be the innings he's already logged over there. Japanese pitchers arms are severely taxed over there but looks like the contract has a friendly out clause in a few years. At least the Yanks spend and care about their fans.

• 2 weeks later...

My point was sports are entertainment, nothing more, nothing less.

Sports are big money businesses that cash in on entertaining us. When that much money is involved, including lots of tax money funding venues, the rules should mean something. When we tolerate or encourage cheating, we are accepting further deterioration of our society.

Baseball is supposed to entertain us with cheats??

Now, there's a justification I hadn't heard yet.

Lighten up, Francis

Baseball is full of tradition, from architecture, to music, to culture, to fashion, to equipment—even the food. While the organ blares, fans eat peanuts and Cracker Jack and watch pin-stripers from all around the world play in parks up to 101-years-old. There is one more tradition that lies in every season, game, play and pitch…cheating. Cheating is as classic in the MLB as hating the Yankees and should be recognized and accepted as tradition.

"Cheating is....classic in the MLB.....and should be recognized accepted as tradition."

I had to come back and edit my post. In my first reply to the above, I fell prey to a troll so I came back to change it. Anybody who would say that has to be trolling and I bit.

"Cheating is....classic in the MLB.....and should be recognized accepted as tradition."

I had to come back and edit my post. In my first reply to the above, I fell prey to a troll so I came back to change it. Anybody who would say that has to be trolling and I bit.

I'm as serious as a heart attack

I forgot A-Holes and my All-Time favorite is Ty Cobb.

What's there about this man that wasn't detestable? During his career he stole a lot of bases, which is impressive. Of course, the fact that he sharpened his metal cleats and was not shy about gouging them into a man's leg if they got in his way of stealing a base probably helped out a tad on that front.

Then of course, there was the racism, plus, there is a distinct chance he fixed a game or two in his day.

But what makes this racist douchebag stand out amongst the rest of them? How many of them can claim they once violently beat up a man with no hands?

Said man, named Claude Lueker who had lost one hand and three fingers of his other in an industrial accident was giving Cobb a hard time from the stands. If you've ever been to a professional sports event, you have heard some drunk moron yelling things so heinous you begin to wonder if you are even the same species. However, to the players' credit, they manage to keep their cool. Mr. Lueker then accused Mama Cobb of being *gasp* half-black. This was enough to send Cobb into the stands ready to kick some severely handicapped ass.

As onlookers begged him to stop pummeling a man with no hands, Cobb retorted, "I don't care if he has no feet" which proved Cobb had a quick wit to go along with a soul as black as coal. Needless to say, Cobb was suspended by baseball. Inexplicably, his teammates refused to play another game until Cobb was reinstated. We guess it's not too unreasonable. Sure, he was a miserable, racist bastard who had beaten up a man with no hands, but he was their miserable, racist bastard who had beaten up a man with no hands.

The Georgia Peach was such a fitting nickname

Ty%2BCobb.jpeg

What does Ty Cobb have to do with not tolerating cheating today? It seems to me to be more reason to enforce rules and punish violators.

What if players and fans could have it both ways?

Create one baseball league — call it the Artificial League — where anything goes. Pitchers with titanium rotator cuffs could hurl 130 m.p.h. cutters that spin like mad. Guys could dig into the batter’s box with Tony Stark-style body armor and night-vision implants. Everyone would take as much human growth hormone, testosterone, etc. as they wanted. There would be perfect games some nights and 700-foot home runs other nights.

Meanwhile, the Natural League would offer baseball without any enhancements. No Tommy John surgery. When your arm is bust, it’s bust. Maybe no batting helmets. It would be honest human effort, without a trace of cheating.

Fans could root for whichever style of baseball they preferred. The All-Star game and the World Series would pit the best AL players against the best NL players, albeit with a few adjustments. The AL pitchers might need to pitch from second base, say.

Most players would start their careers in the NL. When their bodies began to break down, they’d be traded to the AL. There’d be something in it for every American.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

He'll that picture of Cobb kinda does resemble Jeter doesn't it? I am a diehard Yankees fan myself but the price of a game is ridiculous but I still manage at least a game or two a season. I'm a believer in bringing them up for the minors myself anyone with deep pockets can load a team but in the yanks case it hasn't worked to we'll lately. Multimillion dollar players should be a thing of the past, let's get back to basics, it's a lot of fun watching AAA or A A ball and easier on the wallet too.

Archived