Sign in to follow this  
ginger

The IRS won't let me..

I filed taxes for a family member in January. He asked me to check the status of the refund. I googled IRS.gov and went to the Where's my refund? site. I clicked on step 3 and got a message from the webpage..(I'm paraphrasing)...Use of this system constitutes consent to monitoring interception, recording, reading, capturing, or copying by authorized personnel of all activities. There is no right to privacy on this site. I x'd it out and did not proceed.

So if I use the phone to check the status are they allowed to listen in on my phone calls as well? The funny thing is, on Saturday I checked the status(via computer) and did not get this message. Who do I complain to?

I filed taxes for a family member in January. He asked me to check the status of the refund. I googled IRS.gov and went to the Where's my refund? site. I clicked on step 3 and got a message from the webpage..(I'm paraphrasing)...Use of this system constitutes consent to monitoring interception, recording, reading, capturing, or copying by authorized personnel of all activities. There is no right to privacy on this site. I x'd it out and did not proceed.

So if I use the phone to check the status are they allowed to listen in on my phone calls as well? The funny thing is, on Saturday I checked the status(via computer) and did not get this message. Who do I complain to?

Best to complain to us here on bcv, safer too.

Complaining to any government agency in our Obamanation is hazardous to your health.

And ginger, that is not sarcasm.

I emailed the IRS and asked them if I could go back to doing my taxes on paper. :)

of course you can. go to their website and print out the forms.

and that message they display can be for any website (including this one), if you think no one is looking to see what you are posting i got a bridge to sell you.

I thought the law stated if you have a computer, you have to do your taxes on line-I don't know why I thought that. Last year was the first year I filed my own taxes on line and I wasn't happy...my refund was significantly lower than it usually is. This year, I'll be taking the sales tax as a deduction instead of the state income tax on schedule A and I want to be sure my T's are crossed and everything is in order but I don't trust the computer to do that.

Understand you must enter a social security number to check the refund status...I have seen that warning many times and I always leave the page. I'm not giving any entity PERMISSION to search my computer. But then again..I seriously doubt anyone in government gives a hoot about MY MUSINGS, they know I'm harmless. It's my mom they have to watch out for. :)

We don't need no steeeek'n permission!

The Internet evolved from ARPA net. I do not believe that all ties to government servers were severed.

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/09/senator_feinste.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/26/technology/a-peephole-for-the-nsa.html?pagewanted=all

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/11/this-is-how-the-internet-backbone-has-been-turned-into-a-weapon/

http://boingboing.net/2013/12/29/nsa-has-a-50-page-catalog-of-e.html

The ANT division doesn't just manufacture surveillance hardware. It also develops software for special tasks. The ANT developers have a clear preference for planting their malicious code in so-called BIOS, software located on a computer's motherboard that is the first thing to load when a computer is turned on.

This has a number of valuable advantages: an infected PC or server appears to be functioning normally, so the infection remains invisible to virus protection and other security programs. And even if the hard drive of an infected computer has been completely erased and a new operating system is installed, the ANT malware can continue to function and ensures that new spyware can once again be loaded onto what is presumed to be a clean computer. The ANT developers call this "Persistence" and believe this approach has provided them with the possibility of permanent access.

Another program attacks the firmware in hard drives manufactured by Western Digital, Seagate, Maxtor and Samsung, all of which, with the exception of latter, are American companies. Here, too, it appears the US intelligence agency is compromising the technology and products of American companies.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2014/01/how-the-us-almost-killed-the-internet/all/

"Gellman wanted to be the first to expose a top-secret NSA program called Prism. Snowden’s files indicated that some of the biggest companies on the web had granted the NSA and FBI direct access to their servers, giving the agencies the ability to grab a person’s audio, video, photos, emails, and documents. The government urged Gellman not to identify the firms involved, but Gellman thought it was important. “Naming those companies is what would make it real to Americans,” he says. Now a team of Post reporters was reaching out to those companies for comment."

Sooooo this year I did the same someones taxes on line and had to enter an electronic filing pin number. Actually they gave me 4 choices of how to verify, one of them being the last years AGI but it was rejected by the irs so I click on to get an electronic filing pin number from the IRS and get the same messsage...this is from the IRS website itself...basically stating if you want this pin number you must consent to monitoring of ALL activities which include interception,recording,reading, copying,and capturing.

So once again I made the phone call just to actually FILE the taxes.

Btw- I filed on paper last year. The irs rejected the initial computer filing stating the AGI I entered was wrong. It wasn't, I had the copy I MADE right in front of me. Once again, I'm doing my own taxes on paper.

I don't understand why the IRS thinks it should have total access to my computer.

Since I'm on the topic of taxes, I noticed the question "did EVERYONE in your HOUSEHOLD have health insurance for ALL of 2015" something about shared responsibility. So, if you had a relative staying with you for a while and they didn't have health insurance you would be responsible for that? How is the government going to monitor the comings and goings of say, single people who have boyfriends/girlfriends? I'm thinking of a couple of people, they're together, they're not, like every other month...nope they moved back to the city etc..

post edit...or just friends in general?^

^ Who was it that stated the first thing they would do as President is get Obamacare repealed? I'm pretty sure if that candidate made an issue out of the above referenced he would win, especially in NY.

So let's say Sandra Lee didn't have insurance in ALL of 2015, Governor Cuomo would be responsible for a share her healthcare? hmmm I wonder if he knows that.

They're not considered part of your household unless you're claiming them on your taxes.

Having someone stay with you for a little while doesn't obligate you to cover them for health insurance.

oh paaalllllleeeasseeee it gives the same message every time you go in there to check. no one is trying to steal your stuff or rip you off. welcome to 2016 gramps!

So I'm wondering if the IRS server has all of Hillary's emails? :) Wouldn't that be a hoot?! lol I thought I heard Comey testify her lawyers made it impossible to recover some materials.

post edit- In retrospect, I think that was a big fat lie to Congress. Maybe they SHOULD investigate the investigation.

BTW...(and yes Pete this falls under the category of....why do things happen to me)

At the time, I didn't want to mention it since everyone already thinks I'm nuts but in the course of the aforementioned transactions...and boy am I sorry now I didn't mention this...but all I can remember is the word...SISTERS.

I thought to myself, some sisters group is subcontracted to process IRS claims? Does anyone know what I'm referring to? I really don't want to nor do I have the time to go back to elicit the exact reference but I will.

.....snip.. Last year was the first year I filed my own taxes on line and I wasn't happy...my refund was significantly lower than it usually is.... snip... :)

Not all those internet tax sites give the same refund. The more user friendly the site is, the less you seem to be entitled to refund wise, imo.

Try this one for fed https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/

Just download the NYS fillable forms you need from NYS.

Thank you for the link. :) At least I'll know where to find it next year!!! I get too many emails from various internet tax services and I really hate filling out all of that info. Paper is so much easier...oh and then there's the "YOU TIMED OUT" that sends me back to the beginning and I have to scroll through to figure out where I left off. So annoying.