12 shots fired at Wilson

Momma Mia

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just in the vicinity of Wilson Hospital in Johnson City. I talked to witnesses who heard 12 shots fired at the entrance of the hospital. I reported the news to WNBF and put the witness on the phone with Roger Neel.

It's believed an Officer was shot.

Medical buildings being evacuated.

All police agencies in the area are on the scene, including bomb squads.

As I was leaving, Police Chief Joe Zikuski was the LAST to arrive.

This is from Pressconnects:

Shots rang out on Harrison Street in Johnson City this morning and an officer was reported to be down, according to scanner reports.

The incident happened just after 7 a.m. Reports were unclear on whether the suspect also was shot. Emergency responders are at the scene to take two reported shooting victims to UHS Wilson Medical Center.

At around 7:30 a.m., dispatchers were calling for any agency to respond with a bomb-detecting dog, and for the Endicott bomb squad to be on standby.

Hospital staff were asked to evacuate 30 and 22 Harrison St.

Really terrible. :-( Garo, this was thought to be on hospital grounds and involving the hospital facility somehow?

Yes it is believed the shootings took place near the entrance of 32 Harrison, which is a medical building adjacent to the main hospital entrance.

The alleged murder apparently showed up at UHS this morning and was making outrageous claims that he had set up bombs throughout the building. UHS staff immediately called the police.

When Police arrived the murderer attacked the responding Officer, taking his gun and shooting him several times.

A UHS technician tackled the murderer and got the gun away from him, during a short struggle.

More information as it becomes available...

Again, our deepest thoughts and prayers go out to the Johnson City Police Department and the family of the Officer who was killed in this tragedy.

This is so sad...the streets around the hospital are dangerous enough without this happening. My deepest condolences to the officer's family. My deepest respect to the UHS technician who was brave enough to tackle the murderer.

Kind of figured mental illness was going to play into this when the bomb squad got involved. Someone walking in babbling about planting bombs that were never found sounds like a confirmation. That is just ridiculous, what a waste of life because this person was wrapped up in whatever was going on inside their head. Really a sad day, my condolences to the officer's family. :(

Kind of figured mental illness was going to play into this when the bomb squad got involved. Someone walking in babbling about planting bombs that were never found sounds like a confirmation. That is just ridiculous, what a waste of life because this person was wrapped up in whatever was going on inside their head. Really a sad day, my condolences to the officer's family. :(

Just curious, where did you hear / read it was somebody with a mental illness?

So sad, maybe some one should forward this to our great Gov , as he appears ready to shut down all the facilities that help with mental illness. Is this just the beginning?

That's exactly what I was thinking. I pass enough people on the streets who are in obvious need of assistance as it is. $10 says there have been contacts regarding this person having tendencies before and nothing happened. A friend of mine tried to report a concern about a homeless person who seemed like they were in real trouble and was told that there was simply nowhere to take them until there was actually a threat to someone's life and that was that.

I have additional information that the suspect was a medical employee who was making the claims that he had put bombs throughout the building. Thats when the other medical employees called the Police to respond to his claims.

When the suspect was approached by the responding officer. The Officer (JC Officer) was then rushed and knocked down off his feet then he (being the medical employee) proceded to take his gun from him then turning it on the officer.

Seconds later

other responding officers reporting to the scene came upon the disturbed medical employee who still had the officer's gun then started shooting it out with those officer's who responded. He being wounded with his condition not being known at this time.

Archived