12 shots fired at Wilson

Momma Mia

Just curious, where did you hear / read it was somebody with a mental illness?

As I said, the details of the story seem to confirm what I suspected, but it was only my suspicion. If the details are wrong, I take it back, but walking into a hospital and declaring that you're going to blow it up then attacking a cop is not an April Fool's Day prank or a gang activity. It is, however, something you might do when you're having some kind of severe breakdown. I'll be interested to hear if there were other concerns or warning signs. (Remember the reports about Jiverly Wong "talking to ghosts" as a younger man and his family not speaking enough English to explain it adequately to doctors, so nothing was done?)

I've been close to another major law enforcement action that required the bomb squad, and even in that case, where there actually were bombs that were adequately well-designed to do what they were meant to do, the person was not some highly organized terrorist with a well-considered agenda. He was just somebody who had finally completely cracked up and was going to take his tortured inner life out on the community. (Caught only because somebody saw him standing outside a store before dawn acting sketchy. This bystander thought it was "off" enough to warrant asking the police to come say hello, who found homemade bombs on his person, then more in his home a week before a major town festival.)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.sjhsyr.org/cpep

Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program

I gather that the difficulty, or part of the difficulty, is that the threshold for what constitutes a psychiatric emergency is so high (or believed to be so high) that it is often too late. There have been cases of people walking into emergency rooms for help with mental illness and shooting themselves while they're waiting.

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/suicide/it-true-emergency-suicidal-patients-access-their-psychiatrists

What we lack are the intermediate systems that people need to prevent them from ending up in an emergency condition. I've read about "mental health first aid" programs where laypeople receive training in how to recognize when people might be struggling and steer them, in the most supportive way possible, to help before it gets to this point, but once it gets to a certain degree of severity, I'd imagine it's very difficult to get cooperation. It might be something beneficial to see more of in our community, though. The Mental Health Association of the Southern Tier seems to have instructors.

http://www.mentalhealthfirstaid.org/cs/

So sad, maybe some one should forward this to our great Gov , as he appears ready to shut down all the facilities that help with mental illness. Is this just the beginning?

I was going there but choked it back until we know more. As someone who follows the workings of Media, advertising & PR, this locked the radar on for me, "The media is being told by law enforcement "there will be no information about the suspect for quite some time"' . It could, and should have been stated in a better way. Enough on that for now.

It sounds like standard operating procedure. It could be for two reasons, they really do not have much information, it is scattered, and need to get it right. The first time. This is very important and understandable. Secondly, the hospital and police agencies will probably have a meeting between their PR front people, legal representation, and those who are knowledgeable with the debriefings .

They must limit scope of any announcements or questions from the media for several reasons. First for family members, second, not to compromise prosecution, and third to reduce criticism later on. There will be criticism, warranted or not, much of it undoubtedly will occur here, which brings me to a point of reason.

If we wish to earn a bit of credibility for BCV, and out of respect, lets wait a bit for speculation until there is some information to base it on. When we do discuss possibilities, back it up with some facts, and and choke back accusations for a while. When they come, give some reasoning behind it. We know this BBS is widely read, and in some instances has given leads.

I am putting this forward because human life was lost, believe this topic is very serious, and should treated so.

OK hack me to bits, I expect it.

As I said, the details of the story seem to confirm what I suspected, but it was only my suspicion. If the details are wrong, I take it back, but walking into a hospital and declaring that you're going to blow it up then attacking a cop is not an April Fool's Day prank or a gang activity. It is, however, something you might do when you're having some kind of severe breakdown. I'll be interested to hear if there were other concerns or warning signs. (Remember the reports about Jiverly Wong "talking to ghosts" as a younger man and his family not speaking enough English to explain it adequately to doctors, so nothing was done?)

I've been close to another major law enforcement action that required the bomb squad, and even in that case, where there actually were bombs that were adequately well-designed to do what they were meant to do, the person was not some highly organized terrorist with a well-considered agenda. He was just somebody who had finally completely cracked up and was going to take his tortured inner life out on the community. (Caught only because somebody saw him standing outside a store before dawn acting sketchy. This bystander thought it was "off" enough to warrant asking the police to come say hello, who found homemade bombs on his person, then more in his home a week before a major town festival.)

It very well could be somebody with a mental illness but it also could be some type of retaliation.....the police did just bring down a Bloods group in the area last week. Not saying that is what happened but it's not out of the question either. Bottom line is nobody knows what happened, why it happened or who did it yet....so we are all just guessing until they release more information

The MRI technician's are from Bajwa's neuro office. Employee on duty at Wilson this morning said the shooting/reported ambush by suspect on first responding cop likely happened close to patrol car as driver's side door is open and there is a lot of blood all over the patrol car and on the street near the car.

It very well could be somebody with a mental illness but it also could be some type of retaliation.....the police did just bring down a Bloods group in the area last week. Not saying that is what happened but it's not out of the question either. Bottom line is nobody knows what happened, why it happened or who did it yet....so we are all just guessing until they release more information

I think the gang thing is a stretch, but the possibility of workplace-related retaliation is very real. That, too, though, would be an outcome of mental illness. "I got downsized" or "Cathy won't go out with me" does not lead to "I'm going to stage a false bomb threat and lunge at a police officer" in a healthy person who has good contact with reality. As larrymoeandcurly said above, it's hard to dream up an explanation for this where you're going to say "yeah, a neurotypical person would totally do this, I get it".

If someone had a coherent desire to hurt people at the hospital, you'd expect them to use a real bomb or make the threat anonymously so that they can terrorize people and remain free to terrorize them some more later. A hoax threat where you're physically present, known to others, and inevitably going to be caught, yet can't act on your anger because the bombs exist only in your mind and you didn't even think to bring your own weapon, then attacking an officer... That's not even procedurally rational, barring an elaborate suicide-by-cop attempt, which would be another major warning sign. I'm sure something pushed him, but to get from whatever pushed him to this, there's almost certainly something wrong with this person if it happened the way Garo is describing it.

Obviously, you're right that that's a big "if". Sengui is right that we have no idea how much of what we're getting is correct, versus, say, a statement from someone who is pretty shaken up and doesn't really have it straight, or maybe has a media agenda.

Thank you Garo. It is a very sad day for everyone. Law enforcement and healthcare employees are special and care about their jobs, and this will be hard to comprehend for everyone involved. My prayers for everyone affected.

We've learned the identity of the fallen Officer. I will leave it to the authorities to release this information. There is a 2pm News Conference scheduled at Johnson City Village Hall.

Again, my deepest sympathies to the JCPD and the family of the officer killed in the line of duty on this sad day.

I have to clear the air about the earlier report that was given to me by an officer and a news agency. So when the name was given to me at both times by two different people i believed it to be true, a mistake on my part trying to get the true information to readers.

We did have the officer's name right as it was given to us but would not publish it for the obvious reasons.

I am truly sorry to the familes of both in this tragic event.

Archived