Collier Street Commons Proposal - Newman

Bingoloid

At the end of the day its NYS where we address our issues with temporary band aids, and leave our pants down to get bent over after the party is over. He will build it with subsidy and I cant blame him. If its available why not? If he doesn't who will , at least someone is doing something. If you want to cast blame, I would start at the top.

I was about just graduating from high school when the Arena opened and at the time thought, "Wait a minute - the reports say that there have been discussions about building such a structure for 25 years. Broome County has a population of a quarter-million, and within driving distance has access to over a half-million. Yet what they built seats only 5,000, and is considered too small to bring in some acts and events? What's wrong with this picture?"

I push that fact still. Even today, ~40 years later, we actually have 699,305 people within a 45 mile radius. People often think Utica is a bigger area... at 15 miles, they do have about 1,000 more than Greater Binghamton... but at 45 miles, they have 648,182 people.

We no longer can fit Ringling Brothers' three rings at the Arena. Most concerts are too big. While big acts would sell out here when priced normally, unless there are over about 10,000 seats, most concerts cost more here than elsewhere. For example, the American Idol tour that is kicking off here is $36.50, $50.50, and $76... Albany is $36, $46, and $56. Sure, the cheapest ticket is only 50 cents off... but the highest is $20 more before fees since they have more seats to sell in Albany.

Our area is not tiny. The thinking has been small... and the building infrastructure matches that thinking. Much of the recent thinking and building has been pushing us out of that thinking, or comfort zone if you will. Companies and government keep moving facilities and jobs closer to the thruway... when our highway infrastructure actually is better to get to more areas of NY State and the northeast.

We need to show that this area is still the "valley of opportunity." We need to bring people... not only in Binghamton, but out of the area... back to the realization that Binghamton is more than a college town. It is a great place for business... manufacturing, distribution, office back ends, office HQs. I do hope my thoughts become reality. Possibly be the Austin of the northeast.

Weissman, Newman, and other developers are helping create a base for people... other business people will follow with the real jobs (more manufacturing, more distribution, more offices) as people see that this area is still a great place to live, work, and play.

Well, as some of you may recall, I had my own vision/dream for this project that included a lot of black glass and silver solar collectors which I thought would compliment/ balance the Marine Midland building. I guess the people footing the bill get to pick the colors:)

I don't see how any of the parking at this facility will be municipal or open to the public. If it were my property, it would be enclosed, and heated somewhat. Security is going to be a concern because people are going to be living there. Coded elevators or valet parking? As with my own vision... the spaces will have to be rented out, so I'm guessing the students up the street may be including that in their student loans/grants? If you only built the parking garage with retail (skip the apartments) then anyone could park.

Let me put this a different way....the beach I go to every summer is a public beach but nobody goes there because there is no place to park and all of the accesses are private. This seems like the same thing to me. I'm not saying that's bad but letting the public know what the intention is would be courteous.

I'm glad to see the some one is finally taken their head out of their arse and replacing one of the three outdated parking ramps in Binghamton. Hopefully all will be in time with similar structures to the one proposed. They most definitely need to be In closed. But with all the salt and petroleum leakage proper maintenance needs to be observed.

It's just occurred to me that this particular project, as it looks right now from the picture would look fabulous up the street across from the Metrocenter parking lot-I think it belongs at that parking ramp site on level ground, and you'd have REALLY NICE VIEWS! :)

Oh it's Saturday morning..."Marshalll, Will and Holly..." Wouldn't a huge black pylon shaped parking garage look way better at Collier st? The angles are already built in to the landscape.

These types of developments and structures are quite common outside of Binghamton and can be quite attractive. I've got family that lives in Reston VA and the whole town center area is ringed with parking structures where the first floors fronts are filled with retail spaces. The parking is free and this draws people of all ages to the town center in the evenings. There are movie theaters and in the winter, there is an outside ice rink. But this type of mixed commercial, residential development will never fly. It's too modern thinking. Binghamtonians would much rather stick to their featureless and boring strip mall anchored by Walmart and some new fast food joint than agree to a modern aethestically pleasing development.

I'm in favor of this development, generally speaking.

But I hope there is no PILOT program. With the principle's other investments downtown, I hope they'll take a long view and see that adding to the commercial tax base will help keep taxes in line, thus attracting other potential businesses. Good for all.

A PILOT program (ie, a tax break for the principle) may SEEM like an incentive to local politicos today. But they need to see the bigger picture and hold such developers' feet to the fire a bit, and try to get full taxation on the books TODAY and in the coming few decades. If the projected profit is there, the ball is already rolling with the student influx. Play a little hardball now, on behalf of those who live and have planted roots here.

I'd like to see that. I'm hopeful. But I won't hold my breath.

That's right bingoloid it is the good ole boys network! That's something that will not change in your life time, so either you beat them or join them and you know by now you can't beat them. On thing is good at least one ramp will be replaced just wish they would think of a much larger scale for parking. Using the old design would never work so most definitely enclosed is the way to go. Boston has enclosed garages and they work

That's right bingoloid it is the good ole boys network! That's something that will not change in your life time, so either you beat them or join them and you know by now you can't beat them. On thing is good at least one ramp will be replaced just wish they would think of a much larger scale for parking. Using the old design would never work so most definitely enclosed is the way to go. Boston has enclosed garages and they work

Newman built a beautiful mixed-use project in Ithaca, which opened this year: http://www.140senecaway.com/

Did Ithaca give him a PILOT? Nope. They didn't subsidize it one penny. Instead, it seems like they made Newman go get tax breaks from the feds, which he did.From online stories, looks like he used federal New Market Tax Credits, which means from day one, Ithaca got full taxable revenue on project. They say Ithaca is one of the smartest cities in the country, right? They sure are.

In Binghamton, Newman gets huge tax deal for his first housing project in old Vestal Plaza, then his downtown project Twin River, and now again to expand his University Apartments. This last one is $8million in tax breaks over 22 years. Holy crow!!

I continued to dig and found some more interesting stuff. Did you know Newman is building a big luxury student housing in Oneonta? HIllside Commons, and guess what? A big, big tax break through another PILOT. Keep googline around this and you find some interesting stuff, like a memo from oneonta lawyer that says the Oneonta deal is way more favorable to city taxpayers than Binghamton's generous PILOT. By the way, fun to read their application to the Otsego's County IDA for the PILOT, (List principals: "Mark Newman, Barry Newman, David Newman, George Akel, Ron Akel, Ferris Akel): http://www.otsegoeconomicdevelopment.com/incentives_and_programs/documents/APPLICATIONHILLSIDECOMMONS2013.pdf

Oneonta apparently negotiated. A brilliant idea! Oneonta beat Newman back from a generous 20 year PILOT to a less generous 15 year PILOT. They also got Newman to agree to help buy two buses to commute students from housing project to SUNY campus, and cover almost all operating costs! Nice work Oneonta!

Back to the twilight zone, and our fearless leaders, so ready to kiss the leather shoes of these developers, keep subsidizing these welfare kings way beyond what is necessary. A 22-year, $8million pilot for expansion of his university apartments? Really?!

There's more to come, I guess, right? Wasn't he selected to develop 50 Front Street with promise of grants and a PILOT, and didn't the city just name him partner to redevelop the Collier Street ramp, with promises of grants and tax breaks? Is that right? You can't make this stuff up.

This guy has his own private table at the trough of corporate welfare! When is enough enough?

I wonder how much it would cost to fix Binghamton? Fix everything that is broken or needs to be replaced...a billion? More or less?

You can forget about fixing anything, now. I'm not voting for any expenditures at all. Don't even think about raising my taxes.

• 2 months later...

Well, isn't that a sticky wicket? re:PSB yesterday, The supreme court has ruled in favor of the Marine Midland Building expansion of student housing. The judge said the Collier St parking ramp could be counted as parking spots for that facility. Where are the students going to park as the old ramp is dismantled and the new constructed? On another thread, someone mentioned it would take 2 years to dismantle, is that true?

• 1 year later...

Archived