Texas health care worker tests positive for Ebola

27 Time World Champions

A health care worker at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital who provided care for an Ebola patient there has tested positive for Ebola in a preliminary test, the Texas Department of State Health Services said in a statement on Sunday.

The health care worker reported a low-grade fever Friday night and was isolated and referred for testing, it said.

"We knew a second case could be a reality, and we've been preparing for this possibility," said Dr. David Lakey, commissioner of the health service.

First the CDC has workers go over to West Africa to provide help to those who have contracted the virus, and they say "Nah. We know what we're doing. We won't catch it. We're prepared," and then the CDC workers who took every precaution under the Sun catch it. Then the CDC says "Nah. Don't worry. Nobody will come to the United States with the virus from Africa. We've got it under control," and then somebody comes to the United States with the virus. Then the CDC says "this is an isolated incident and no one else will contract the virus in the US; we've got it under control" and then someone else in the U.S. contracts the virus. The CDC are incompetent idiots who don't have this under control.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a shame, nobody to blame.

After hearing for decades how little things like AIDS virus and the drug epidemic in black neighborhoods being caused by Government and CIA we now come against something cannot be blamed on Government. Not the current black government.

Osama is dead and GM is alive. No rational person should expect more from the mighty head of the new Obamanation Leaders?

Maybe after next months elections things will get back to normal. All blame will be on the new Republican Congress.

Maybe the few hundred million about to be given to the Palestinians will solve the problem for now.

Ok, let’s get back on track with the topic.

The “Obamanation Leaders” didn’t invent Ebola.

One of the problems is we’re talking about “the CDC”.

I just watched an interview with a doctor who said that there is no hierarchal accountability structure there. They need to reorganize to get people in positions who are given the authority to “take charge” of a given situation or disease and given the requisite avenues of command to put the proper training, communication, transportation, evacuation, monitoring, equipment and more in place BEFORE it gets past the point of a few nursed being infected.

That person will have to see that the correct protocols and methods are established and communicated to all health care institutions in the nation. He/she will also have to create the oversight capability to ensure that the appropriate training and purchase of all essential equipment is done in a set time frame.

Blaming it on a “breach of protocol” by the nurse is the easy, “buck stops nowhere” way out.

What was the breach? How was it not monitored as it was happening? Who was responsible to see that breaches get caught when they happen?

Every OR in the world has these type of controls worked out for each million+ surgeries that happen every day. It’s not like they have to re-invent the wheel.

Now, here’s the scary part: if (presumably) trained and educated professionals can’t manage to take care of a disease that is purported to be “not easy to contract”, what would happen if Ebola got out of the grasp of a few patients in one or two hospitals in the U.S., just like it has in West Africa?

If hospitals, doctors, nurse managers and the rest of the health care industry can’t handle it, how does the civilian population have a shred of a chance?

Other than the two specialized treatment centers in Atlanta and Nebraska, the rest of the nation is totally and frighteningly unprepared to handle a half a dozen cases.

We know how to contain Ebola. That’s the only real control we have until a quick cure or vaccine is developed.

Knowing how and DOING it are two different things.

The CDC needs to be restructured.

Letting this get to the same level of incompetence as we saw with FEMA Director Michael D. Brown after Hurricane Katrina is relegating half the American population to die a grisly death.

If we are as reactive as Brown was in 2005, by the time all the proper controls and procedures are put in place, Ebola will be out of control and in half of our 50 states, spreading unchecked.

We’re entering flu season. The first symptoms of flu mimic the first symptoms of Ebola. We could have thousands (or more) people holing up in their houses with symptoms, assuming they have the flu and a whole new set of problems to deal with.

I live alone. I’ve had the flu twice in the last 30 years. If I came down with a fever, headache, chills, etc. I’m going to assume I have the flu. Why would I go to the hospital for an Ebola screen and risk exposing people to the flu?

What a shame, nobody to blame.

After hearing for decades how little things like AIDS virus and the drug epidemic in black neighborhoods being caused by Government and CIA we now come against something cannot be blamed on Government. Not the current black government.

Osama is dead and GM is alive. No rational person should expect more from the mighty head of the new Obamanation Leaders?

Maybe after next months elections things will get back to normal. All blame will be on the new Republican Congress.

Maybe the few hundred million about to be given to the Palestinians will solve the problem for now.

I was wondering when this SOB would come out using ebola as a tool to flame the flames. How the hell could people ever begin to live in peace with the likes of him, Sharpton and Jackson doing their best to divide people, not bring them together?

By Jessica Chasmar - The Washington Times - Thursday, October 2, 2014

Rev. Louis Farrakhan argued in a blog post Tuesday that the deadly Ebola virus is a race-targeting bioweapon created by white people.

“Methods of Depopulation: Disease infection through bio-weapons such as Ebola & AIDS, which are race targeting weapons,” the Nation of Islam leader tweeted to his 308,000 followers.

In an article, Mr. Farrakhan argues that the United States “has a desire for world depopulation” by using bioweapons “such as Ebola and AIDS, which are race targeting weapons.”

“There is a weapon that can be put in a room where there are Black and White people, and it will kill only the Black and spare the White, because it is a genotype weapon that is designed for your genes, for your race, for your kind,” he writes.

“This means that these wise scientists of death are making pathogens, which is something that can cause a disease. They are creating this as a means of depopulating our planet of undesirables, a process called culling the population. … So, if you are poor and ignorant; if you are Black or Brown, you are being selected for destruction.”

===============================================

This is the article referred to in the Times story. Farrakhan makes reference to a white paper “Implications of Worldwide Population Growth for the United States Security and Overseas Interest” as a basis for his assertions. I downloaded it. It is a paper on US assistance and foreign aid supporting birth control in nations where people are starving to death and resources for self sufficiency. I could not find the passages he quoted, I like to see quotes in context. I don't know, is he counting on people not to read or search in long boring documents? I found his assertions to incredible not to research

In an article

http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/Minister_Louis_Farrakhan_9/article_101804.shtml

First the CDC has workers go over to West Africa to provide help to those who have contracted the virus, and they say "Nah. We know what we're doing. We won't catch it. We're prepared," and then the CDC workers who took every precaution under the Sun catch it. Then the CDC says "Nah. Don't worry. Nobody will come to the United States with the virus from Africa. We've got it under control," and then somebody comes to the United States with the virus. Then the CDC says "this is an isolated incident and no one else will contract the virus in the US; we've got it under control" and then someone else in the U.S. contracts the virus. The CDC are incompetent idiots who don't have this under control.

A few thoughts:

- Which CDC workers catching it are we talking about? The two Americans who were flown back by the CDC were volunteers for a religious organization, one of whom was quoted as saying he was in the habit of holding hands with the dying. Neither patient infected anybody else once the CDC got control of their cases.

- Where did the CDC say this will never come to the United States? Everything I saw said it was inevitable that there would be incidents of it showing up in American transportation hubs, just like every other disease.

- Where did the CDC say there would be no other cases? I thought it was crystal clear that he had been exposing his girlfriend and her five children for days, as well as the fire department employees who loaded him, vomiting, into his ambulance.

I'm not saying the above two things were not said, but it sounds plainly at odds with everything known and I'd like to see the quotes.

The person who has contracted this disease was a healthcare worker who was forced to be in close contact with a contagious, dying patient. She was required to self-monitor because it was understood that she was at risk, and she correctly reported her fever the same day she became symptomatic so she could be isolated. I'm not saying they're handling this perfectly, but the CDC wasn't at fault for the hospital screwing up with Duncan and failing to recognize the significance of his travel history before his infection spiraled out of control and he started vomiting up his own innards, which might have saved Duncan's life and minimized the exposure of others. One patient entering the country and spreading the disease to one person, before he died, who was immediately isolated hardly sounds like they've lost control. There's one person who may have contacted the nurse when she became contagious and is now being monitored, as well.

From what I understand, if you don't wear that protective gear often, it's easy to screw up. If you wear it all the time and get too comfortable with it, it's also easy to screw up. There's no doubt that the people providing care to patients are in far more danger than anyone else, even when they're trying to take all the precautions. You get distracted and scratch your nose, and that may be it without you even knowing how it happened.

Blaming it on a “breach of protocol” by the nurse is the easy, “buck stops nowhere” way out.

What was the breach? How was it not monitored as it was happening? Who was responsible to see that breaches get caught when they happen?

Every OR in the world has these type of controls worked out for each million+ surgeries that happen every day. It’s not like they have to re-invent the wheel.

Sure, but when you screw up those protocols, you don't usually get Ebola. My surgeon's people at Lourdes couldn't even restrain themselves from giving me antibiotics I was allergic to then arguing with me about it when I called.

Our hospitals are a lot better than West African "hospitals", but healthcare worker error is still a common cause of death. Some people may have to learn how to be on their toes. There is also reportedly a common failure of the "buddy system", where healthcare workers in protective gear are supposed to spot each other and make sure they're doing it right, once they've been wearing it for a while and gotten too comfortable about it.

I live alone. I’ve had the flu twice in the last 30 years. If I came down with a fever, headache, chills, etc. I’m going to assume I have the flu.

As well you should, unless you've been somewhere where you have any reason to believe you might have been exposed to Ebola. If some dude horks up Ebola juice all over the build-your-own-six-pack stand at Wegmans, you're going to hear about that long before you become contagious. In that event, you might want to start questioning that fever.

I don't feel like digging for links, but have been listening, on a M-F basis, to NPR, and most of what I hear is "no problem, mon."

These are quotes from the top docs being interviewed.

Re: Wanker, all it would take is a taxi customer, and I am NOT buying the idea that you almost have to have sex w/ someone to catch it.

From the AP (cannot republish) :

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_EBOLA_CDC?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-10-12-11-34-33

CDC said there was a breach........... they just don't know what it was....... Dr. Tom Frieden, head of the Centers for Disease Control says the diagnosis of the worker "clearly shows that there was a breach of protocol." they are going to search until they identify the breach? Either the AP botched a story a 6 year old could write, or it is accurate and terse because they do not like being part of passing the pitcher around to everyone

fc,550x550,black.u1.jpg

The person who has contracted this disease was a healthcare worker who was forced to be in close contact with a contagious, dying patient. She was required to self-monitor because it was understood that she was at risk, and she correctly reported her fever the same day she became symptomatic so she could be isolated.

I feel bad for the nurse. As I heard it, she was not forced to do Ebola duty, but requested it.

She made one little mistake on one day of her whole career. Unfortunately, that’s all it takes. One mistake can be life or death for patients and anyone who works in a hospital.

Fortunately for her (and everyone else) she was diligent about self-monitoring her temperature. In that setting, that is the base line expectation. She doesn’t get brownie points for doing that.

One patient entering the country and spreading the disease to one person, before he died, who was immediately isolated hardly sounds like they've lost control. There's one person who may have contacted the nurse when she became contagious and is now being monitored, as well.

I thought I heard it was another of Duncan’s caretakers who is in isolation now.

Duncan pulled the Original A**hole move by getting on a plane AFTER he started feeling ill and AFTER he had been handling bodies and infected people. There’s no much we can do in the short run to fight third world ignorance about deadly diseases. If he had been contagious with smallpox, this would look like it's fast becoming Zombie Apocalypse in a few weeks.

From what I understand, if you don't wear that protective gear often, it's easy to screw up. If you wear it all the time and get too comfortable with it, it's also easy to screw up. You get distracted and scratch your nose, and that may be it without you even knowing how it happened.

I recently worked in two hospital units in which PPE is standard attire, the OR (surgery) and Sterile Processing (decontam, cleaning and re-sterilizing of surgical tools and equip.)

Using PPE properly takes some getting used to. Like anything else, it’s about forming habits. Most jobs require that you learn something you’ve never done before and make it habitual.

In the OR, mostly the patient’s life and well being are at risk. Everyone else is also at risk because any kind of transfer of infection is possible at any given moment.

In the decontam/cleaning part of Sterile Processing, the worker is exposed to all manner of body tissue which has to be cleaned off manually and by their machinery. I scrubbed out my share of blood and guts from surgical tools. It’s not for the faint of heart.

It is easy to screw up when you first start. When you’re new, they always have someone double checking you to make sure you get it right, until they’re confident you have it.

People are always watching and observing everyone else and if something doesn’t look right they’ll tell you or your supervisor. In the OR, if you screw it up before or during surgery and break sterility, you’re removed from the area immediately and made to re-scrub and put on new PPE. There’s no tolerance for mistakes and no “close enough’s.”

All the Surgical Techs who were teaching me were extremely vigilant about not falling into autopilot mode. They were paying attention to their PPE at every moment they had it on.

This includes removing it. The procedure for removing it is just as important as pre- and perisurgery protocols. If you remove it incorrectly, you can endanger yourself and all your co-workers, including the surgeons and the clean-up crew.

In 6 months, I never once saw anyone who was “getting too comfortable” with it. I did see a few Techs re-gown because they were concerned about sterility. I was made to re-glove a few times, too. Even after that one surgeon stuck me with a suture needle.

I might add that there is strict, Federally regulated protocol for handling suspicions that anyone’s safety has been compromised in either department I worked in.

Even if you think you might have been exposed to anything in any way, you are bound by law to report it, fill out forms, etc.

What I heard last week on the news was that protocol for Ebola caregivers is to keep hands and elbows below chest level at ALL TIMES. That is very similar to OR procedure.

when you screw up those protocols, you don't usually get Ebola.

No, you don’t but only because it’s not been here. You can contract MRSA, any infection that a patient has, and any disease a patient has. And some of them you DON’T want.

but healthcare worker error is still a common cause of death.

The most common cause of patient death is infection. Nosocomial (hospital-acquired) infection is MUCH more common than people realize. Orthopedic surgeries carry the highest incidence of these.

Medication error deaths are insanely high in number. Look it up. It’s scary.

Some people may have to learn how to be on their toes. There is also reportedly a common failure of the "buddy system", where healthcare workers in protective gear are supposed to spot each other and make sure they're doing it right, once they've been wearing it for a while and gotten too comfortable about it.

The fact that a nurse in the U.S is taking care of one of the few Ebola patients to ever grace our shores should have been more than enough for her to be on her toes and avoid any mistakes.

With a new disease that we still don’t know everything about, there’s ZERO tolerance for not being on one’s toes every single second of every single day.

The buddy system would be the fail-safe against those uncommon occurrences when people get complacent and make a mistake in the use of their PPE. So far, we haven’t been told whether this nurse was using the buddy system, and if not, why not. If not, it’s not a failure on her part, it’s a failure of the management of the hospital to not properly supervise her.

With that case, there should have been a team of people around that patient 24 hours a day. The CDC should have had a small platoon of their own there for a field study. The hospital should have had management from every unit in the hospital there studying procedure for care, cleaning and PPE’s. Every hospital in a 100 mile radius should have had a training team there.

WTF are these people thinking??

Buddy systems are not commonly used in OR’s, nor in Sterile Processing.

If some dude horks up Ebola juice all over the build-your-own-six-pack stand at Wegmans, you're going to hear about that long before you become contagious.

But I may have contracted it 10 seconds post-hork and that’s all I care about, really.

I don't feel like digging for links, but have been listening, on a M-F basis, to NPR, and most of what I hear is "no problem, mon."

These are quotes from the top docs being interviewed.

Re: Wanker, all it would take is a taxi customer, and I am NOT buying the idea that you almost have to have sex w/ someone to catch it.

The “authorities” are correct in that there is no danger to the general public right now.

Containment of Ebola is something that is a known procedure and has been for decades. It is relatively easy to contain.

IF (big if) it got out of their containment grasp that could potentially pose a much bigger risk to the GP.

No you don’t have to have sex to get it, but that would be one way. I keep hearing different things. The basics are constant: body fluids, droplet transmission, etc.

I did hear today that it can be live on non-organic surfaces (tabletops, doorknobs) for a few hours and in dead bodies for a period of days.

One of the potential problems we’d have with it getting outside the containment barriers is the misinformation that would be generated in a panic setting.

Most people don’t even know how cold viruses travel and get transmitted. The level of misunderstanding about this would be astronomical.

From the AP (cannot republish) :

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_EBOLA_CDC?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-10-12-11-34-33

CDC said there was a breach........... they just don't know what it was....... Dr. Tom Frieden, head of the Centers for Disease Control says the diagnosis of the worker "clearly shows that there was a breach of protocol." they are going to search until they identify the breach?

They couldn’t possibly tell how the nurse got the virus from simply a positive diagnosis.

They are just assuming she contracted it removing her PPE because that was the part of the care process that was not monitored in any way.

They probably don’t have video, although I guarantee you they’re setting up cameras now.

If it was a mistake on her part with the removal of her PPE, there’s no way they would ever know for sure. All they can do is eliminate all other transmission sources.

They would still never have a positive ID of the transmission source.

They couldn’t possibly tell how the nurse got the virus from simply a positive diagnosis.

They are just assuming she contracted it removing her PPE because that was the part of the care process that was not monitored in any way.

They probably don’t have video, although I guarantee you they’re setting up cameras now.

If it was a mistake on her part with the removal of her PPE, there’s no way they would ever know for sure. All they can do is eliminate all other transmission sources.

They would still never have a positive ID of the transmission source.

It gets better................ The problem is with the states, not the CDC. :unsure:<_<:angry:

U.S. lacks a single standard for Ebola response

Copeland_Larry.png Larry Copeland, USA TODAY 5:48 p.m. EDT October 12, 2014

ATLANTA — As Thomas Eric Duncan's family mourns the USA's first Ebola death in Dallas, one question reverberates over a series of apparent missteps in the case: Who is in charge of the response to Ebola?

The answer seems to be — there really isn't one person or agency. There is not a single national response.

The Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has emerged as the standard-bearer — and sometimes the scapegoat — on Ebola.

Public health is the purview of the states, and as the nation anticipates more Ebola cases, some experts say the way the United States handles public health is not up to the challenge.

"One of the things we have to understand is the federal, state and local public health relationships," says Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota. "Public health is inherently a state issue. The state really is in charge of public health at the state and local level. It's a constitutional issue. The CDC can't just walk in on these cases. They have to be invited in."

http://news.yahoo.com/cities-states-scramble-dallass-ebola-missteps-expose-planning-181958319--finance.html

BTW........... This time the dog gets a pass.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2014/10/12/dallas-ebola-health-worker-dog/17159727/

I feel bad for the nurse. As I heard it, she was not forced to do Ebola duty, but requested it.

Just for clarity, by "forced" I mean "in order to do her job", not "against her will". Likewise, no intention of implying she got "brownie points". My point is just that unlike Duncan's initial misdiagnosis, this worked as expected.

The fact that a nurse in the U.S is taking care of one of the few Ebola patients to ever grace our shores should have been more than enough for her to be on her toes and avoid any mistakes.

You'd think.

But I may have contracted it 10 seconds post-hork and that’s all I care about, really.

For sure, but what I'm getting at is that unless you have absolutely no sense of self-preservation, you're far, far less likely to be mindlessly going into work while contagious or hiding out in your house putting off vital intervention in the early stages, because in the days it takes for you to become symptomatic and contagious, it's going to be pretty hard not to hear about the whereabouts of the guy who gave it to you on the news and realize that you should probably call somebody about your fever.

If anything, I would expect the opposite reaction, thousands of people with harmless flu cases swamping the hospitals because somebody got Ebola within a 50-mile radius.

If anything, I would expect the opposite reaction, thousands of people with harmless flu cases swamping the hospitals because somebody got Ebola within a 50-mile radius.

Yep. We read about parents taking their kids to the ER and insisting on getting antibiotics for the cold and the flu because they have zero idea what either of them are and how to deal with them. They think hospitals have magic pills that cure almost everything (except stupidityness) and all they have to do is make lots of noise and the ER charge nurse will wheel out the Magic Pill Cart.

Now that flu season is on us, our ER's will be flooded with kajillions of people who have flu symptoms and are convinced they have Ebola because their neighbors looked weird a few days ago if these little onesy outbreaks don't end very soon.

Overtaxing our normally overtaxed health system would lead to an overnight total breakdown if by some tiny chance the real deal Ebola got out of current controls. It wouldn't matter if it was contained to a few southern states. Every hillbilly from W. Virginia to the hinterlands of Maine would "know" their little Billy Rae has Ebola.

Part of my point is that there is more than one way Ebola can cause havoc all over our contiguous 50 states.

A run on grocery stores and gas could cause a lot of economic damage, and it would all have started because a mistake by one nurse got compounded by the CDC and other health “officials” dragging their feet for fear of making another mistake and people making their own assumptions based on what they read on the Interwebgoogle that their Kentucky cousin posted about their neighbor’s brother-in-law’s family in Idaho who all died of Ebola and the evil Obamanation Federal Gubmint covered it all up…cuz that’s what they do.

I think you get my point.

The panic that would result would be way worse than an actual limited outbreak of Ebola.

Wow. They outed the Dallas nurse who got infected. How is that NOT a Hippa violation? Federal Law, folks.

How do they figure that wil NOT scare people away from treatment who don't want to risk being ID'd on national TV?

F'ing stupid.

As long as I'm being outraged, here's another list of things the CDC got, and is still getting wrong:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/13/health/ebola-cdc/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Most of these items are common sense. Apparently the CDC has taken over where FEMA left off after Hurricane Katrina.

:mellow: I'm sick. I had the flu shot 2 weeks ago, Unfortunately it was too late. Even though I wasn't sick at the time I had the shot, I was probably already exposed to other virus. Here's a thought...Innoculate healthcare workers first, wait three weeks then inoculate patients. It's always been my theory, if you are colonized or acclimated to disease, getting the flu shot may destabilize the lymphatic system. It would also be fortuitous to provide an antibiotic to staff and patients prophylactically to prevent secondary infection. I did that last year and didn't get sick at all as evidenced by that nice check I received on my anniversary because I hadn't been sick all year. This year, the window of time I had to get the flu shot was too short to get an appointment and consult with my own doctor. Boo Hiss, now I'm going to have a bunch of points counted against my attendance, like a derelict City of Binghamton property.

Their protocol may be in breach because they are basing their assumptions that Ebola can't be transmitted in certain ways. I bet if they swabbed everyones cell phone on the unit that virus would show up.

What's in your wallet? Here's what's in mine, on a four by four piece of paper...Oakridge615-576-3131 615-481-1000 ext 1502 beeper 241

Because hey, you never know... I also have some rudimentary notes to assess and provide basic care to somebody in distress if the need arose. Those notes also include protection for myself.

As for Ebola...I wonder if the CDC ever heard of Lysol? Lysol plug in might be helpful?

!!! The Texas nurse is doing well and was able to speak with her mother via SKYPE? I have the Ebola virus and I still can't put down the phone....ooookaaaayyyy.

The American public has short attention spans. Why did not the CDC start planning after we got this pass.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1994+ebola&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb